MTG Commander/EDH General

Dangerous Dastardly Doppelgangers Doing Dark Dimir Deeds Edition

Last time on /edh/: RESOURCES
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
What decks do you feel personify each colour combination? What commanders break for the colour pie in interesting ways?

Attached: cemetery puca.jpg (223x310, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nova-express-1
scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=cmc&q=(o:all o:creatures) t:enchantment (c:U OR c:B OR c:R)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>break from the colour pie
Fuck, I missed that M real hard. Sorry anons, have this as compensation.

Attached: 1513926375520.jpg (537x672, 133K)

Attached: 1513926212001.jpg (512x704, 128K)

Attached: 1512010491666.jpg (514x701, 133K)

this guy is such a break for the color pie i couldn't make a satisfying brew for him without just wanting to run kess instead

Attached: bok-89-toshiro-umezawa.jpg (672x936, 240K)

I tried to build Toshiro. He seems so good, but in the end, you wind up reusing kill spells and edicts; the entire thing is really lack luster. He's really powerful in the 99 of a lot of decks, but as a commander, he doesn't have the stats to smash face, and there aren't a lot of black instants that are going to kill people. I love him in my rakdos deck.

Attached: Dichotomancy.jpg (223x310, 32K)

id like to build a deck that has as many alternate win conditions as possible. what would be the best colors for this and which cards would you add?

Attached: Captura de pantalla 2018-03-08 a las 5.51.24 PM.png (188x250, 80K)

I was playing with a shit incomplete Krenko deck and won against a full tuned Omnath and Arahbo.

It was really sad, I don't think I'll make any friend if I keep playing this.

I built him and found the deck unexpectedly good.
The win conditions are the traditional mono-black stuff.
He and the instants fulfill the control aspect, and it works unless you're up against some enchantment deck or combo that doesn't rely on creatures.

I'm pretty sure you weren't playing a fully tuned omnath and Arahbo. I don't even think a fully tuned Arahbo deck exists.

Believe it or not, shit players with good decks usually lose against good players with undertuned decks.

I was exaggerating, but their decks looked pretty solid and I don't have half of the combo cards (I don't even have enough cards to complete the required 100).
I believe that, but I'm not a good player. I literally started playing EDH a week ago.

Convince me not to buy this to go with my Lily deck.

Attached: download.jpg (299x169, 9K)

Man you nailed what it's like to play Toshi. I built him and this was my exact experience

WUBRG. Start with Ramos, Dragon Engine and Door to Nothingness and go from there.

You're a big fat phony if you didn't win it.

You saved me. Thank you, user.

Attached: 1520970808383.png (600x592, 433K)

"Competitive" arahbo and omnath decks don't exist, and playing with less than 100 cards is a boon, not something negative.

Krenko pubstomps players that don't pack enough removal, and that's what happened.

You overestimate older players. People can be fucking shit at magic after 20 years. Literal autism often doesn't help. I speak from experience with an autistic person in my previous playgroup.

Why didn't you keep posting? I ended up buying it. I can't believe you'd betray my trust like that.

Attached: 1521080049689.jpg (634x600, 56K)

Am I doing too many things at once?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nova-express-1

I have custom categories on, you can just change them to card type in the menu.

Got a Pact of Negation out of an A25 pack TODAY and it's already starting to curl. Fucking Christ, Wizards, get your fucking shit together!

I've never had any of my cards curl ever. Is this a meme?

The Gameday one is miles better.

Attached: 1101271.jpg (450x256, 25K)

Its more of a recent thing or some foils. Feel any of the latest cards out of say ixalan- very weak material that often curls up when left unsleeved for even a day. Shits bad man, WOTC is killing themselves with the mediocre quality.

Composition isn't as nice, but I considered it.

What if I buy it and neatly paste a sticker over the qualifiers logo that says "I just bought this to match my deck I didn't win it"

Really? A friend of mine gave a pack of Ixalan and the card quality wasn't that bad. Is it a regional thing or am I just lucky?

Thanks for your opinion anons, but there are three separate threads where you can discuss this. Please keep your discussion specifically about commander, the cards, and directly relevant content.

What decks do you guys play?

I can agree with that, but I feel Lili having her arms out with "CHAMPION" underneath it is too good to pass up.

>Is it a regional thing or am I just lucky?
It's exactly that. Cards printed in the US are currently made from spittle and used diapers while the Belgian printings that are mostly distributed in EU still use the old quality cardstock.

Yeah understandable, I try not to focus on the negativity surrounding the game right now, just a bummer sometimes. Right now I'm enjoying my scarab god and gitrog decks, looking forward to combining them for muldrotha next month.

>I try not to focus on the negativity surrounding the game right now, just a bummer sometimes
Where do you think you are?

Who's the artist?

Attached: 1520869479909.gif (400x223, 470K)

Hah, very true.

Attached: 18bolnc7mgj8ejpg.jpg (254x350, 47K)

Muldotha seems like it's going to be the flavour of the month. I'm more excited for the resurgence of devotion; it's one of my favorite mechanics. The wizards deck looks pretty stronk, thank fuck I bought the wizards precon moths ago.

Take it elsewhere user.

What's your absolutely favorite card?

Yes, Last Hope is the most tasteful Lili.

Meh, I dont really care if people think its "flavor of the month". People said that with locust god but I still find him very fun and hilarious to play.

>not Death's Majesty

Oh, that's not necessarily a bad thing, I realize after I said it that I sounded more dickish than I meant it.

What I mean to say is, it has a very powerful effect that will attract a lot of people, so you're likely to see lots of those decks. The monoblack demons will be the exact same way, and in a sense, because it's a legends matter set, I think that's a good thing.

Eh, I see your point, but I think Last Hope is slightly more fashionable.

>not ordering a custom printed one

i see mask but i never see lens. i prefer the lens tho, any opinions?

>need card draw in a boros equipment deck btw

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 5.24.15 PM.png (551x383, 386K)

>Not ordering a lewd custom printing.

Embrace your neckbeard user, it's already embracing you.

Mask seems a bit more versatile to me due to the "draw two cards" thing.

There are many ways for a creature to not be blocked but very few ways to force people to block a creature.

Unfortunately, copyright exists.
I really wanted an Avacyn playmat but inkedplaymats couldn't print it because of copyrighted artwork, so I went to some other custom mat from amazon and it came out blurry, tried one more time and still not good before just saying fuck it and buying the flip Avacyn for 60 dollars because ultra pro never reprints anything.

they both draw two cards. the mask makes you discard one though.

true. although if i'm swinging with a 15/15 it does incentivize blocking.

>true. although if i'm swinging with a 15/15 it does incentivize blocking.
That's the definition of winmore; if you're swinging with a 15/15 you're in pretty good shape already, the draw is just a bonus.

Yes, but it incentivizes you more to make it unblockable than to draw a single card and allow your opponent one more turn.

I run lens in my mono red grenzo double damage deck. turns out all you need is 1/1's capable of dealing 8 damage

you only need the one way tho

Attached: sth-89-invasion-plans.jpg (672x936, 246K)

Is it all American cards? I was going to get a game day promo of Ghalta, but is it just going to be curled to shit.

it's two cards

>if you're swinging with a 15/15 you're in pretty good shape already, the draw is just a bonus.
i have played so many games where i had a 15/15 or a 50/50 or a 100/100 and i still lost due to lack of card draw. in my meta big creatures usually get removed quickly or blocked forever or they can only kill one player before the game ends due to other circumstances.

to me the lens makes more sense than the mask, because it forces your opponent to make a bad choice. if you have the mask on a creature and you attack it forces them to block with a dork...which means you get no damage through and no cards. with the lens you get something no matter what. my deck doesn't have a lot of unblockable attackers.

do you run mask too?

Yup.

Do you have any interesting simic tech? I think this badboy is fantastic.

Attached: pygmy hippo.jpg (312x445, 68K)

This is exactly the kind of spicy tech I need for the Grixis Fight Club/Thunder Dome, bless you user.

>having huge creatures without trample or flying
>in Boros of all colours
What deck are you playing user? How do you get creatures that big without trample? Hamletback goliath?

Do you guys run many man lands? If so which ones are best? I've always had a soft spot for Mishra's Factory and Mutavault. 1 mana activation is just too good.

Attached: Mishra's Factory_A25.jpg (488x680, 91K)

Confession time?

I never understood why mishra's factory is good. Is it because you can use the mana to create a 2/2? Or because you can have a 3/3 with blocking shenanagains? Why wouldn't you just play a basic land instead?

>but is it just going to be curled to shit.
If From the Vault has taught me anything, it's that foil curling can be fixed with a heavy book or two and some patience. Typically they don't re-curl either. I don't LIKE the prospect of giving every foil a month under the complete works of shakespeare but if I'm willing to invest the cash to trick out a deck, I should be willing to invest the dedication as well.

Pygmy Hippo is not very good. I guess it maybe forces someone to tap out if they don't block it for some reason.

Pay one mana to make it a dude, block, and then tap to pump its self. so a 3/3 blocker for 1 mana.

Having a body after a wrath is always good. And yes, being able to make a 3/3 blocker all of a sudden is very good.

Basic lands can't swing for 2, and manlands in general dodge a lot of sorcery speed removal since they're not creatures on your opponent's turn.

How heavy and how long are we talking about? I've tried that before but maybe didn't do it long enough.

Er, not him but doesn't blocking constitute as "tapping" I mean, a creature with vigilance wouldn't tap but if you turn it into a dude, then block it would be tapped and wouldn't be able to be tapped, right?

It's so you can have a wrath-proof creature that doesn't cost mana to put on the board in the first place. Factory isn't GREAT in EDH because a 2/2 isn't amazingly relevant in EDH, and in truth you don't see it played a lot. In 20-life formats a 2/2 can grind alright if you're constantly clearing board, so Factory (or newer man lands like Creeping Tar Pit) do a really good job at letting the control player eventually close out the game without using "Business" slots on their wincon rather than moar counterspells/removal/wipes.

It seems like a card like jitte where the power is more nuanced, than giant blue seamonster #3492.

Oh, now I'm starting to get it. You're right, that's really strong.

Killing an enemy is worth 2 cards

Blocking doesn't tap creatures at all, user. Attacking and regenerating do.

>Er, not him but doesn't blocking constitute as "tapping" I mean, a creature with vigilance wouldn't tap but if you turn it into a dude, then block it would be tapped and wouldn't be able to be tapped, right?
What? Blocking doesn't tap anything ever, unless otherwise specified.

You use another land to turn it into a creature, assign it as a blocker, priority occurs, before combat damage buff itself, still counts as a blocker.
If something is blocking, then gets tapped, it's still blocking. If it's tapped before that though, it can't block.

I run a Factory or Mutavault in any decks that run swords of x and y. Having a land pick up a sword after a board wipe is clutch.

And 1 to wake it up for the turn is a steal

I've bought 3 FTV sets: Dragons, Angels, and Transform. They all came out of the box fucking curled. I'd say you want a hardback and a hard surface to rest the cards on, a minimum weight of 1 dictionary (you can stack multiple books if you need to) and to leave it for at least a month without disturbing it. Atmoshperic conditions in your room might matter: it probably takes a little longer in winter when the air is cold and dry. I wouldn't recommend pressing foils in the bath or anything for heat and humidity, but be aware what way of center your average indoor environment might be.

I haven't done science on flattening the damn things but I'd say check it after a, undisturbed month and if the improvement isn't great, give it two. If that doesn't do it, I don't know what to tell you.

Why not equip both?
>creature gets blocked, draw 2 cards
>creature doesn't get blocked, draw 2 cards, though discard one

Hey, thank you for that! I'm going to give it a try.

You're welcome my doubly dubbed friend. all i really did was search
scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=cmc&q=(o:all o:creatures) t:enchantment (c:U OR c:B OR c:R)

actually no, it's kind of a nonbo with how heavily encourage/punish blocks.

Does anyone play Locust God as their general? What can the deck do without its commander in play? I want to build it, but I don't want another one-trick pony deck. I'm between that and Kruphix Eldrazi Tribal

>go over to my friend's house to play EDH
>things are going fine, there's a tv in the game room that we usually watch movies on or whatever while
>he's a shameless monoblack fag, loves zombies, and is an edgelord in general
>today he's really excited to show off his new geth reanimator deck
>we're playing for an hour or so, he has netflix on in the background
>he's winning, just barely, buddy playing brago is doing his best to keep his billion mana in check, Ayumi is doing it's green voltron thing, and I'm about to pull some Kraj nonsense out of my back pocket
>suddenly I look up at the tv for whatever reason
>there's a literal autopsy on tv
>an actual honest to god "here we're dissecting people" autopsy, but for a morbidly obese lady
>buddy is just casually eating some chips, playing commander, and watching as people are pulling this corpse's organs out
>I'm visibly distracted, I start miss playing, Geth is occasionally laughing at the person's unhealthy anatomy
>normally we watch horror movies, so it would be very easy not to notice, and no one else does
>night ends, I wind up flubbing the game, everyone high fives and gets going
>I ask Geth about the autopsy, he confirms that it was an actual human autopsy with a nervous giggle
>"Oh user, it's better to watch than actually be a serial killer"
How the fuck should I feel about this guys? Am I overreacting?

Attached: 1493206386500.jpg (900x675, 163K)

just last week at my lgs i saw guys tapping to block. its a more common mistake than you might have thought

Attached: 1490929410836.jpg (1000x1102, 170K)

That's more of an indicator that they play other card games as well, and it's part of a reflex/habit.

My wife and I watched that the other day, it was meant to be a documentary on how obesity affects the body. The body was donated to science, she died of heart failure, and they're basically (and really respectfully) showing how negatively it affects your body and how your organs just give out. I wasn't on watching it, I just built edh decks on my lap top and listened, but yeah, it's a tough watch.

>What's your absolutely favorite card?

One that doesn't curl like shit.

I play yugioh pokemon and cardfight and I would never make that mistake. they looked super casual and only played with their kitchen table meta of friends.

If i had to guess, it's a mistake newer people make because it mirrors tapping to attack, you know? actually, it's more intuitive to tap for both attacking and blocking, so i can see how they made that mistake.

i guess that's just some of the complexity maro talks about

Attached: 1498644589120.jpg (1162x688, 396K)

There are other card games.

Fair enough, I guess it's just a normal thing on tv.

I was just shocked that he put something like that on, and more shocked that the other two didn't notice what was going on. Ayumi in particular is super squeamish, and Geth was weirdly interested in the whole process because he was facing the tv. How can anyone eat while watching that? Is that just normal edgelord behavior, or should I be worried?

It's St. Patrick's Day. Why are we not having a mono-green theme?

I don't know if you should be worried, edgelords are going to edgelord, and I really don't see a difference between that and televised operations. It's all educational in the end. I knew a guy who used to look for war footage where you see people straight up getting shot and beheaded pleading for their lives. THAT is fucked up.

good question. I just build pic related with strong +1 counter themes

Attached: sok-148-sekki-seasons-guide.jpg (672x936, 237K)

Hey Can Xenagos, God target one of my own creatures that has Protection from Red?
>I assume not

Attached: Image.jpg (223x310, 33K)

I want to make a token deck with lots of shenanigans like making token-copies of other creatures, embalming/eternalize stuff and populating them with spells and/or Trostani.

What's the best commander/colors for this purpose? It should at least be blue to have Rite of Replication and Clone Legion

Attached: en_5UEmL9ZA8l.png (241x347, 206K)

I think you are just an easily offended overly sensitive person, and that all of your friends probably know about it, as evidenced by your friend fucking with you about it when you ask him at the end of the night.

Watching a medical documentary doesn't make people edgelords or serial killers, and I would honestly post gore just to fuck with you right now if I wasn't so certain you have to have images off just to browse a site like Veeky Forums.

>There will never be a set like Kamigawa block or Lorwyn/Shadowmoore ever again.

>Tfw pull a 120 dollar foil
I'm not incredibly superstitious, but I'm an EMT and I'm afraid I've used up all my St. Patty's luck.

Hope nothing bad happens on shift tonight

Attached: IMG-1385353569.jpg (5312x2988, 2.09M)

If you're going to run Heartstone, why not run Training Grounds instead/in addition to?

Some Bant commander is probably your best bet. There's a couple of red spells that say something along the lines of 'Make a copy of target creature, it has haste and dies at end of turn' that you might wanna look at so maybe red might be worth splashing.

>friend is a sociopath and you don’t think he’s on here right now

hi user's friend

Go for a partner combo then? Unfortunatly, only Tana or Ravos soultender seems to be good for that strategy and them together doesn't have the most crucial color; blue