MTG modern magic general

Djinns edition

Where we last left our heros
Dominaria release notes: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/dominaria-leak-2018-03-08

>Playing
>Hating
>Brewing

>Thread question
Are there any cards from eternal formats that you want to have make their debut into modern? If yes, what are they?

RESOURCES:
>metagame
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>Search Engines
scryfall.com/
magiccards.info/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
>Budget Decks
pastebin.com/Q9D59Wry

Attached: th.jpg (474x351, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/modern/full/all
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Thread question
all the squirrel cards, just because FUCK YOU I WANT SQUIRRELS!

Anyone else watching GP phoenix?
Some intersting (shit) decks. Gideon superfriends to name one

>Are there any cards from eternal formats that you want to have make their debut into modern? If yes, what are they?
Any non-cucked counterspell.

I'm playing Copy Hulk! I can't wait until the Dijinn from Dominaria comes out. My deck would be even faster and greater!

Attached: copy hulk.jpg (669x311, 204K)

I'm intrigued. You have a decklist?

What djinn ?

>8chad gaining traction

lolwhat?

Yeah it was a wierd WB deck with chads, SoI Sorin and lingerin souls

Have a list? i wanna laugh at somthing.

Sorry it was on stream and im at work. Keep an eye on GP phoenix lists and MTGO online lists that 5-0

>Playing
BGw Collected Company Elves
>Hating
Fuck Tron
>Brewing
I really want RW Norin sisters to work, but its so difficult to have a middleground between effective linear aggro and Norin trigger shenanigans because if I wanted to beat face, I should just play other aggro decks, but I want to play with Norin triggers on Genesis Chamber triggers on Purphoros triggers.

>Thread question
Without a doubt, Cleric Tribal. Also Containment Priest, but that might break Modern in half.

What modern competitive decks would they play?

Attached: Yugi-Joey-Kaiba-Yu-gi-oh.jpg (1400x700, 160K)

>Jund
>Jeskai control
>Affinity

>joey
Stompy without a fucking doubt

>yugi
Esper control with Miracle cards to complete the "heart of the cards" thing

>kaiba
Affinity or something with dragons.

>magic is a deep and strategic game. deckbuilding is far more intricate than putting all of the best cards into a single pile
>jund is the best deck

Attached: cw2.png (600x418, 182K)

>Jund is the best deck
Gets straight cucked by tron tho how it best?

>the best deck is the one who has 0 bad matchups

name one

But Jace isn't in Jund.

5C Humans

so far i've seen soul sisters lose to infect and ironworks lose to taxes.

is modern just a rock paper scissors game?

Im more surprised that you actually see those decks minus taxes; what's next you're gonna tell us, Blue Steel wins against Bubble Hulk?

Can Archive Trap still cost 0 if an Aven Mindcensor is out?

Kill yourself, millcuck.

Jace isn't very good in modern

good luck against elves and merfolk

>2 completely underrepresented decks
Merfolk's glory days are up. Elves is strong though, but still a niche tier 2 choice.

"If an opponent would search a library, that player searches the top four cards of that library instead."
The opponent still searches, so yes.

you said no bad matchups though. you dont get to wiggle your way around by saying it's underrepresented.

still waiting for no bad MUs, best deck according to you

All of MTG is rock paper scissors. What game have you been playing?

So get a gearhulk out, copy it, than what?

chain copy gearhuks and swing for massive damage

Iron klak works killing it at gp. Apparently a bunch of pros are on it and crushing it day 2 according to my friend who is day 2 at 9-3

can you not post like thatfrom now on?

Man, this copypaste sucked, sorry.

Man, I want to build monoB but what if Lili gets reprinted in dominaria
>Thread question

Always pic related

Attached: file.png (672x936, 1.36M)

E G G S
G
G
S

LITERALLY UNIRONICALLY THE OBJECTIVELY MOST FUN DECK TO PLAY

Shaheen was high af on this deck too.

As soon as that Myr Battlesphere meme list was posted man I've been shitposting Eggs on here, from Hangarback/Retriever/EE
4 Mindstone is definitely right

imho the core, bread and butter of the deck is

1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn (i use Ballista for the tutor/ping)
2 Hangarback Walker
2 Myr Retriever
4 Scrap Trawler
4 Ancient Stirrings
4 Chromatic Star
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Welding Jar

>what if Lili gets reprinted in dominaria
... the cards were already leaked...

And I'm still mad they didn't print a single sliver but we got homarids.

Btw this is the card I want a reprint of.

Attached: Screenshot_20180315-092506.png (672x986, 975K)

this is what I currently have.

4 Torrential Gearhulk
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
1 Snapcaster Mage

4 Cackling Counterpart
2 Fated Infatuation
1 Search for Azcanta

4 Strategic Planning
2 Negate
1 Spell Snare
2 Cryptic Command
4 Fatal Push
3 Thoughtseize
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Forbidden Alchemy
1 Consume the Meek
3 Bontu's Last Reckoning

4 Field of Ruin
6 Island
3 Swamp
4 Polluted Delta
2 Watery Grave
4 Creeping Tar Pit
I think White might actually be better second color, but I do like to discard things.

Attached: CopyyourCopy.jpg (979x624, 310K)

You might see a reprint in a Master set, but never in a Standard set.

>Playing
Green Tron
>Hating
Y'know, aggro and stuff.
>Brewing
I'm putting together G/R Ponza right now.
>Thread Q
A bunch of the older slivers being brought into modern would be sweet.

Why no C Brutality?

I don't know. That's actually a great card I didn't even think about. I think I'll side 2 Bontu's for 2 copy's of Brutality. And cut an IoK for another land.

Well it's in the side but I feel like you want to be dumping those copy cards

So let me get this straight...

You dig through your deck to find Torrential in the hand and a copy card in the graveyard, then cast Torrential, copy the copycard, then use the copy of the Torrential, to copy another copy of a Copy card?

That actually sounds pretty sweet.

I was hoping for muscle, magma and heart sliver to be reprint. I know we'll never get crystalline again, but well, diffusion is not that bad. Also she's got hips and the old sliver face.

Attached: Diffusion_Sliver.jpg (1200x881, 702K)

Most of the time to be honest, I hold onto 1 copy card, clear a lot of the board, using Torrential to copy a push or other kill spell, then use a copy spell to make 2 copies of Torrential.

That said, I think I may want to put in Dismember or some other kill spell.

So best case scenario you get like 3 hulks, that's pretty meh desu

Bloodbraid elf in ponza: Yay or nay?
Sometimes it gives you that sweet blood moon. Sometimes just a mana dork and that stormbreath dragon gets to the bottom of the library.

Attached: 1395351186749.gif (400x306, 1.95M)

I'd run soul blast desu. Also make it red and cut the black. 2 cackling counterparts in the bin and a soulblast is 15 damage, maybe run some burn as well.

Why kill off your board? With 3+ Gearhulks out, you won. You don't need to overkill and get rid of 15 power on the board.

Can some one explain why a single budget deck costs 200usd. I'm interested in the game, but the large entry cost seems kinda offputting. It really seems pay to maximize your odds of winning. To a degree worse than mobile gaming. How long will these decks even be viable before the meta tilts and the card treadmill starts again.

because there's 60 million players in the world. And each of them want 4 of the staple cards.

Budget elves is super cheap and not terrible.

>In order to sell more Goyfs,Lilis and Bobs, we'll be banning Stirrings, Opal and Grapeshot. That should make Jund the best deck. Best regards, WotC.

Attached: tarmoGOYf.jpg (1920x1080, 1.76M)

I have 4 of these things.

What do I make?

Attached: Image.png (223x311, 122K)

Suicide, stop stealing my spells.

The staples of Modern won't be going anywhere outside of a ban.

mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/modern/full/all

Take a look at the most played cards in the format and their mana costs and/or immediate value they spit out; there is very little if any wiggle room for Wizards to make any of those cards arguably better without just making them overpowered. Sure new sets might have tech that spawns a new deck that weakens a current deck's spot in the meta but those staples are going to hold on for a long time.

Fuck me, meant for

Is there anything more satisfying than explaining to some cuck for the first time that spell queller exiles supreme verdict so it doesn't matter?

so a swarm aggro deck?

Can I just make a Delver deck out of this?

Spirits is a meme, put this bad boy into Jeskai tempo.

>finally get enough money to buy a playset of lotvs from my job at sears
>she's nearly doubled in price

Attached: 1502985308069.png (808x805, 349K)

I'm so glad Ancient Grudge is in Time Spiral so I can get a version without that flavor text.

Can't confirm, but I believe Matt Nass list had only 2 Mindstone, with the 5 flexslots being pyrite EE and 3 sphere (and bauble instead of jar)

yeah bigboi, just wait another 3 years for the reprint in even shitter card stock, insta curled. at least you'll pay only 85% of the current price

>gain 4 life
>draw a card

This card is great. Too bad it costs 3. I would play it over Wall of Omens if it costs 2

Attached: Image (1).png (223x311, 114K)

Wall of Omens is infinitely better than this, even if this did cost 2. At 2 CMC it would barely be standard playable in U/W Approach.

>This card would be better at less mana!!!!
Yeah senpai, just imagine finks at 2 or coco at 3 those would be good too desu.

I disagree, if it costs 2, there's actual considerations for decks. For example, Snapcaster decks. Being able to snap it for another 4 life and a card draw would be better than Wall of Omen's blocking at times.

I wonder how you can fuck up card stock. I guess I'd have to see the production method.

>fuck up
thats really what you assume?
they just paid less for a shitty product and they dont care, as long as the neckbeards are cracking the packs and pre-ordering jaces.

desu it's infuriating to me how they won't even address the fucking issue, but it's been like this for years.

So I'm just starting out, no cards yet, but been researching and want to make my first purchases. Planning on buying one of the Challenger Decks when they come out in April so I can dabble in standard, but the two LGS near me both have Modern for FNM, which is when I would most likely end up playing.

I want to pick up a bunch of cheap versatile/useful commons, stuff like Lightning Bolt, Duress, Llanowar Elves, etc... Anyone have a list of good commons/cheap cards to start out with? Probably planning on playing a cheap mono red burn at first, but wouldn't mind a foundation in various colors (first cost-intensive investment will probably be fetch/shock lands).

Artifacts and enchantments are fun, suggest a deck to me

>but the two LGS near me both have Modern for FNM
I had the exact opposite problem, no Modern support.

Build RDW
if your Ubercheap, try pauper (commons only)

>the only Jace deck in GP Phoenix Top 8 is a scapeshift deck
weird

How the fuck did he get into scapeshift?

no clue why he's in the deck. he didn't seem to do much in the match i watched.
but it's in Top 8 so he must be doing something worthwhile.

Affinity and bogles

I dont know what the fuck is going on in this GP ironworks deck but its mesmerizing to watch

>GP stream cuts out
>15k people watching
>oopsdidntmeanto

Attached: 1494891060818.png (400x422, 40K)

typical wotc coverage

>tfw KCI now spiking
>Ponza is not a meme

>tfw people think kci is good or new
>it's just less resilient combo affinity

just pack in stony silence and it's dead. same principle with dredge

>the stream is STILL down

Attached: 1499197552575.jpg (400x396, 28K)

Maybe utopia sprawls, ioK, lava spike, gurmag angler, arbor elf, bbe? Idk mang
Idk why you'd want a hodgepodge of good cards instead of just picking a deck, buying it, then seeing how it feels. Modern decks tend to hold value, so you'd be able to sell a deck for around the price you payed for it if you don't like it

does Veeky Forums have a particular card they obsess over and like to hoard? i have over 40 copies of vendilion clique. i always snapped them up when they went for $25 on ebay and now that they're $18, I bought another 30 copies.

how about you give me the money you spend on that instead

I'm slowly accruing a foil set of Lorwyn/Eventide.

I own about 1000 copies of Whispers of Emrakul. It'll be worth money someday I swear.

So is Jace just a meme? I took out 2 Gideon in my Jeskai control deck and swapped them for jace and it seems like Gideon was just better .

reminder to start buying dredge staples and out of vogue dredge cards like bridge from below. this card is literally dread return + haste enabler for your bloodghasts

Attached: Torgaar-Famine-Incarnate-1.jpg (375x523, 46K)

>dread return
wrong card?

Should sideboards be increased to 20 cards? Seems like every Modern tournament is about bringing some obscure deck that no one sideboards for and then lying low for a few weeks until everyone forgets again.

New here, why is Golgari Grave Troll banned?

That card is completely shit

That was only half of them.