EDH/Commander General

Working the Land Edition

Last time on /edhg/:RESOURCES
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
What utility lands do you tend to use in your decks? Which are your favorites?

Attached: Weathered Wayfarer_ON.jpg (488x680, 120K)

When does the Dominaria spoiler season starts? Is is one month before pre-release? If so, we should start seeing some things tomorrow, right?

>What utility lands do you tend to use in your decks? Which are your favorites?
Reliquary tower
Nykthos
Kor Haven

More than half the set is already known, particularly most if not all the interesting cards.

spoilers have been moved up to this wednesday. Though, as said, most of the set has been spoiled

>Kor Haven
I forgot that existed. I should grab one.

I know, but I really need the art for most of them, and there is always some gems between the uncommons and commons that gets spoiled before the last batch of draft chaff.

>What utility lands do you tend to use in your decks? Which are your favorites?
Desert Temple as a way net mana off lands that generate 3+, or reuse other fun lands.
Petrified field for when they kill your fun lands.

>thread question
Mistveil plains
Inventor's fair
Kher Keep
Opal palace

My favorite so far is city of shadows.

Mirrorpool is great
I love Arcane Lighthouse, and Geier Reach Sanitarium as well

>TQ
Alchemist's Refuge.

I didn't pay yet.

>>Thread question
Westvale Abbey in every creature heavy black decks
Reliquary Tower in every deck with heavy card draw and few graveyard recursion.
Rogue's Passage in every voltron or combat damage matters deck
Kessig Wolfrun in every RG deck
Bojuka Bog in every black deck
Inventor's Fair in every deck with lots of artifacts
Nykthos in mono color decks

Kessig, Abbey, and Fair would probably be my favorites from these

Does anyone run her anymore? I picked up a Gisela since she is cheap now and I am concitering changing my Xenagos deck into a Mayael one

Attached: Mayael the Anima_C13.jpg (672x936, 247K)

I play her but man does she make me salty. Whiffing her ability is horrible and really fucks your gameplan

That being said shes timmy level: deluxe and is really fun to cheat out vorinclex t4

she has a lot of hidden strengths. she's a card advantage/value engine on the command zone, she gives the creature "haste" since you can drop it on the end step prior to your turn and most of the mana investment you put into her comes from the ability rather than the creature itself, so it's not too bad if she gets removed. she also works well with top-deck manipulation stuff, so it's extra goodness for your divining top and lurking predators shenanigans.

i thought she was kind of bad originally, but i think she's actually good in her own niche. she isn't the most outrageous commander out there, but that's actually good because that means she won't immediately get removed and you probably won't get hated out. overall, i rate her about 7/10 for casual play.

if you build her, don't forget your timesifter

Attached: timesifter.jpg (223x310, 31K)

Kek this art looks like a yugi-oh card.

>ever in your life swapping our lord and savior Xenagos with naya faggotry
Gruul never wanted you anyway

It was just a thought. I love Xenagos but I want to use Gisela somehow

Which card is a better gob tribal commander, Grenzo or Wort?

honestly, having built xenagos, i 100% understand the desire to build something else out of him. it's not that xenagos is bad, he's just really linear and hard to play in a way that doesn't make everyone sad. a typical xenagos play is taking one player out and the player after him untaps and wins. it's hard to really remain in any sort of control over the board, or even protect yourself with how xenagos usually plays. all you can really do is stop 1-2 players from winning by killing them real good. that's great if you like that sort of thing, but i personally found it tiring after a while. my xenagos became maelstrom wanderer since i got tired of making 1 player miserable and then losing.

so yeah, i do recommend looking into mayael if she interests you. white is a nice compliment to gruul since it lets you have better answers and protect you and your board better.

BR wort or GR wort? R grenzo or BR grenzo? cmon user

Both BR (rakdos sounds fun), but I'd appreciate your opinion on GR wort and R grenzo too.

I like her a lot.
She isn’t overwhelmingly powerful, so she doesn’t paint a target on you right away.
She’s cheap to play and has green for ramp, so having her killed a couple times doesn’t hurt too much.
Scroll rack is really good to have in case you end up with one of your fatties in hand and can’t just cast it.

BR grenzo is pretty good and fun and can range from funtime casual reanimator to dickhead combo fucker. I recommend him, although it's not as much of a straightforward tribal deck (but that is honestly good)

BR wort is woefully undertuned and slow. she essentially just gives you an extra card per turn. i do not recommend her.

R grenzo is kind of fun and goofy in his own way, but being mono-R, he can't really recover from board wipes. i recommend putting him in the 99 of whatever deck you build though.

GR wort is pretty powerful and probably somewhat fun, but she usually wants to focus on just tokens and casting big ass spells. that said, you can build her as GR goblin tokens too and only use her ability sometimes. whether you use her or grenzo, aside from their abilities, comes down whether you want green or black in your deck. green helps you generate mana, kill non-creatures and deal more combat damage. black helps you sacrifice your tokens for benefit, kill creatures and do tricky black things.

Attached: grave.jpg (223x310, 31K)

The strongest is krenko. But between those, I would go for either BR Wort or monored Grenzo, both of them rewards you for playing goblins/going wide with them.

BR Grenzo is unreliable as a goblin commander, you will find yourself spending all your mana for the turn and doing nothing, or not playing goblins at all.

GR wort isn't even a goblin commander, she is a spellslinger deck with goblin tokens.

Odd question but was commander inspired by that one arc of Yugioh where they were trapped in some computer world and they could choose a monster to be their commander or whatever they called it? I can't help but think of that arc when I think about Commander.

I'm pretty sure commander was in existence somewhere before that filler arc ever aired

No, commander is a variant of the Vanguard Format, that was released in 1997. Unless that arc used singletons in a 100-card deck, I don't see many similarities.

>BR Grenzo is unreliable as a goblin commander
This is not true at all. There are loads of very good low power goblins you can use. The deck obviously won't be 100% tribal, as you still play most of the auto-includes for BR Grenzo, but it's still perfectly viable. Also you can't play Mana Echoes without enough Goblins.

Attached: 218.jpg (312x445, 79K)

Thanks.
I want to upgrade my Krenko deck into a rakdos one (black gobs seem to be pretty good) and I don't know which BR goblin should I use as commander.

What types of cancer can i add to her? Besides mikaeus.

Attached: 177[1].jpg (488x680, 174K)

cauldron of souls to recur mikaeus

Bearer of the Heavens

>Mana Echoes
I'm not saying it's impossible for the deck to roll, but it's unreliable as a goblin commander, unless you consider a deck 15 goblins a goblin deck, and that is being generous, many BR Grenzo decks doesn't even run that many goblins.

can't remember the name, but it's an enchantment that says "pay 3 life: put a +1/+1 counter on target creature" or something

also, flayer of the hatebound and the lorwyn block card that draws a card when something comes into play from a graveyard

Unholy symbol

>Attack player with highest life total, triggering Dethrone
>Unless opponent has another creature with Shadow, it goes unblocked
>Sacrifice, gaining control of whatever creature you want
>It comes back to your field at end step due to +1/+1 counter
>Rinse and repeat

Attached: sth-45-thalakos-deceiver (1).jpg (672x936, 256K)

>Imperial Recruiter below $40 now
I feel like an idiot for caving in at $48 now.

at least you didnt have to pay the previously inflated price

Semi-related: Why has mox opal spiked? Some people were saying it hit 300s a thread or two ago.

You almost always want to wait on buying cards from a new set for a couple of weeks.
The real problem is the card quality is still ass.

well all of these are great, how about stopping people from exiling my stuff in the graveyard with exile lands?

Witchbane Orb/Orbs of Warding stops Bajuka Bog but you'll have to resort to more obscure artifacts like cranial archive/temporal timepiece to stop the nontargeted abilities

True. I've waited like five years to get an Imperial Recruiter because I didn't want to pay $200 on a non-reserve list card.

It hasn't reached that high but it's like $80+ now. It's entirely because it hasn't been reprinted. Cavern of Souls has been doing some bullshit too and I fucking hate Wizards for reprinting it at Mythic because muh draft.

I've only had issues when I didn't sleeve the cards personally. If I leave them in a box like I do with commons and such they get fucked but when I double sleeve them they're fine.

strip mine
wasteland
ghost quarter
field of ruin
Tectonic edge
Artifact destruction for things like relic

well it's always going to be hard, but you can mitigate it by 1) not relying on your grave TOO much, 2) instant speed looting 3) instant speed reanimation. i wouldn't bother with any narrow artifacts or enchantments that stop it from happening

I run 31 Goblins in my BR Grenzo deck. I counted just for you. It works perfectly fine and is absolutely reliable. You have no idea what you are talking about.

it will probably settle around 30 as no one actually uses it aside from a small number of EDH decks like alesha, the card was only valuable because it was printed once forever ever ago

In defense of Cranial Archive, it can also be used to hose someone else GY strats while still replacing itself.

Attached: Image-203.png (223x311, 136K)

How do you guys feel about infect in EDH? I want to add some to the mimeoplasm to kill people in one swing easier, and it seems a little less cheap/unfair since I can one shot someone without it anyway

Go for it

What's the maestrom wanderer deck flavored like?

"Upgrade"

Chasm Skulker

I think people's issue with infect is if your deck is entirely infect. The infect dragon commander is annoying cause it just wins immediately if it hits the table and sticks for a combat step. And if it doesn't, the deck falls to shambles.

You need plenty of sac outlets to prevent opponents from exiling your stuff.

Did edhg already talk about the Command Zone saying commander damage should be abolished

I feel like we did at some point, but other anons would know better.

also, thats a terrible idea

Some hard counters you just have to live with the risk of facing, such as with Bojuka Bog/Scavenger Grounds

sup my man

Attached: file.png (672x936, 1.28M)

Someone brought it up in a post, a couple people said it was fucking retarded, and we moved on.

We did a bit last thread. Personally my playgroup never uses it, so I don't care. I've never been interested in dealing 21 only with my commander, and if I had, I wouldn't mind going for 40 instead.

>I wouldn't mind going for 40 instead
How about going for 300+ against the resident Oloro/Trostani fag?

Implying anybody runs grave removal targeting single targets instead of full graveyards. Can only think of Scarab God. It still works as a hatecard against opponents, but it doesn't really stop the hatecards they have.

>prophet of kruphix is banned
>protean hulk is unbanned

Explain this

Attached: Image (1).jpg (223x310, 29K)

Then I just win by other means. If you build your deck in such a linear fashion that it literally cannot win against certain strategies, then you're to blame. Besides, don't all voltronfag decks just run infect shit too.

it's easier for complete newbies to figure out how to abuse kruphix than it is for them to abuse hulk

the banlist is primarily designed to guide newbies in the format towards healthy casual metas

Prophet was the card that made me fall in love with edh when I was getting into it around Theros. I kinda hope they unban it, as I have two beautiful promos of it lying in my binder.

Scavenging ooze

>Then I just win by other means

That's what commander damage is, you dork.

>the banlist is primarily designed to guide newbies in the format towards healthy casual metas

That's not even remotely true. Sol ring isn't banned just because it's not monetarily expensive, for one.

thats retarded

All I know is that if they don't remake every Primeval Dragon (or at least Crosis), the set is a failure for me.

I'm a pretty big UGfag, but Prophet is absolutely not OK.

Prophet can refill your manabase every turn before anyone can cast instants. Protean Hulk can get at best a 6/6

That's... A pretty good answer.
But do you think it justifies it?

Prophet is an enabler
Hulk is a wincon

>Protean Hulk can get at best a 6/6
there's more broken shit that it can do than just that.

>That's what commander damage is, you dork.
Yeah but I think having it as your only way of winning is retarded. If it was your only way of winning, then you deserve being cucked by lifegain decks.

It's fine. Infect themed decks never win at tables and are only good for hating out one player before caving.

Triumph of the Hordes is far more broken of a card than all the infect cards combined.

Picked this up from my local card shop by calling in a favor that the store owner owed to me. Wanna make a deck out of him. What are some good cards to run with this dino-truck?

Attached: Image.png (223x311, 128K)

>wanting sol ring banned

faggot, then people would just switch to crypt

Prophet let's you play everyone else's turn for them. It's fucking retarded and should never get unbanned.

>Thread Q
I actually really like Blighted Cataract and Blighted Woodland in the right decks. They come in untapped which is sweet and they have solid spells stapled to them. Great in 1 or 2 color decks were you don't need to worry about fixing lots of colors.

>Protean Hulk can get at best a 6/6
This is how I know you're new to mtg. The amount of infinite wincons you can fetch on a Hulk trigger is insane if your deck is built for it.

seedborn muse
cloudstone curio (with enough mana, it goes infinite with a creature)
every ramp spell known to man
Panharmonicon
Strionic resonator
any effect that prevents mana pools from emptying
Helix pinnacle for shits & gigs

If your only way of winning is getting infinite life and outstalling the other players by virtue of being nigh unkillable, you deserve being cucked by commander damage.

Son, are you retarded?

I think it's a shit strategy, but it's a viable wincon in other formats.

I think my main issue is that Oloro does it without any investment, and there is pretty much 0 interaction with the strategy, unless you run Erebos.

Sure, lifegain is boring as shit, but it should never work.

Is there a commander other than Inalla and Azami that would appreciate wizard tribal?

The new Dominaria ones.

Wait for Dominaria

How can I make my friends hate me with Chaos but not also get taken out immediately before I do anything?

Play a grouphug pillowfort deck on the side. Zedruu perhaps.

Prophet is cancer

Prophet being banned makes sense. You don't have to play nearly as carefully with your mana for things like counterspells if your lands just untap during everyone else's turn, provided you have answers in hand (which you likely do in blue).

Though why Protean was unbanned, I haven't a fucking clue.

"gravehate has gotten stronger"
t. Sheldor

What does that have to do with Protean Hulk or Prophet of Kruphix?

>gravehate
>protean hulk
Is that hard?

What, so it can't be reanimated? How does that effectively make it weaker? I don't think things are banned because of you being able to get them back over and over.