/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
You ruin this paint job, surat, and I will so end your bloodline, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2018-03-17 - Still getting worked on & now has 34199 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2018-02-28!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Attached: 383a147d30c0765b21f0b1e6283d46e88f1e8525.jpg (550x550, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58771.0
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Official /btg/RO design challenge:

We are looking for Glider Protomech designs for Clan Snow Raven. Designs must meet the following criteria:
>12 tons
>Must have at least 7/11 Glider MP

Designs with tech not currently used on canon protomechs are encouraged. Similarly, attempt to limit it to the base design and 0-1 variants unless you have a really good reason.

Submission requirements:
>Must be submitted in .txt file format with all construction data filled out (see pic for example). Megamek or record sheet files are appreciated, but are not required.
>Must have at least rudimentary fluff (state it's for, what it does)
>Must have your name included in the files supplied for the design
>Must have a description of how you want it to look. It can be as vauge as "small and blocky" or as detailed as "here's three examples of canon designs I'm taking from and a sketch of the end result"
>Ideally, give us a zipped folder with the format "Mechname_Tonnage(Creator name)" and all of the above inside

Submit to the /btg/RO Email listed on the Built for War blog.

Attached: Proto Format.png (757x562, 56K)

>Newshit
What I'm actually excited about is the three new maps (for the first time since the goddamned NINETIES) and the Shimmyseen standies/hexpack terrain in the basic boxes. The pilot cards.. we'll see.

Attached: BT-AGoAC-Box-Back-Web_preview.jpg (658x817, 156K)

HAHAHA BUTTE HOLD

Can we use BA weapons/gear? That really improves protos in ways you would have never imagined.

Attached: 1502065975061.jpg (900x1173, 260K)

>Designs with tech not currently used on canon protomechs are encouraged.

Are you looking for any fluff-based design limitations in particular? For example, at one point, we (Demot Team) were asked for a CSR Proto designed around prosecuting space-borne boarding actions, which would significantly impact design intent. Do you have any such guidepoints or limiters aside from what you've listed?

>The pilot cards.. we'll see.

Hey, with any luck, we'll finally get really *good* art of named characters and some stats/SPAs for them. We've never really gotten a "good" pin-up of Nasty K, for example, and this would be the perfect place to put one of the same quality (though not necessarily with the same fetish for body art) as the sample PCs in ATOW.

Think optimist thoughts.

Attached: 1657_62_63_natasha_kerensky_big.jpg (3230x2170, 2.09M)

WarShip question;
Inazuma VS Zec II, who wins?

>Designs with tech not currently used on canon protomechs are encouraged

So I guess that means I can boat 12 MGs in a gun for it to use.

>Are you looking for any fluff-based design limitations in particular?
I'd be interested in seeing an "export" model CSF Proto with the Nonfunctional quirk, but that's because I enjoy "Muh Kerenskies" efforts. Aside from that and an LPL design to torment 3A some, no.

Inzauma, unless the ZecII can slip a nuke through. The Drac ship has 3 collars, and in a fight like this (even assuming no ASF carriers), the resultant ability to build an ECM screen will make a big difference. Plus the Inazuma can mostly survive a round or two of fire from the ZecII. The ZecII has bad armor, but the SI is *terrible*, and it's EASILY possible a single round of fire from the Inazuma can kill it.

Strategically, of course, it's tough for the Inazuma to actually bring the ZecII to a fight, since they have identical acceleration. The Inazuma can *eventually* catch it since it has so much more gas, but if the initial vectors aren't favorable it's entirely likely it won't be able to before the ZecII reaches a jump point of some sort and uses it's LF battery charge to escape.

Attached: Hot Zechs-ual three-way.png (1150x990, 2.05M)

Technically, that means I can stick a subcapital laser on it and simply give it the "illegal" quirk.

Got it. I had forgotten that RemLab doesn't support ProtoMech construction over 9 tons. What's the current preferred program for that?

>Technically, that means I can stick a subcapital laser on it and simply give it the "illegal" quirk.

"Technically" yeah but the 12 MGs are more logical/probable for a proto.

Oh...oh, fuck, wait. CA, this is a 100% serious question. Can you think of ANY reason why I shouldn't build this ProtoMech explicitly to carry Small (1-ton) Thermobaric Bombs and use the Throwing Objects rules from TacOps? A 12-ton Proto can throw a 1.2-ton object 1 hex, and bomb damage can't damage an airborne unit.

God dammit NEA. Stop solving all problems with WMDs.

It has to follow normal protomech construction rules, as per Tech Manual, TacOps, and IntOps. We want legal designs for the TRO, or we'd be designing a RAC 20 Saladin clone.

>Are you looking for any fluff-based design limitations in particular?
Not anything specific, just would be nice to see things that are oddly absent from current proto designs, like AECM or such. We had a pair of designs in this region, one from myself and one from Greekfire, and we liked the general concept area. So we decided to open it up as a competition.

>What's the current preferred program for that?
There's not a real one. There was a "Protomech designer v0.9" that I found on the OF a while back, but it's very rough (and inaccurate with the heat sink requirements for weapons)

>Can you think of ANY reason why I shouldn't build this ProtoMech explicitly to carry Small (1-ton) Thermobaric Bombs and use the Throwing Objects rules from TacOps?
Clan rules of engagements regarding WMDs and such?

Dammit, there's times I just love this place.

Attached: screenshot.1521429881.jpg (692x249, 108K)

>Can you think of ANY reason why I shouldn't build this ProtoMech explicitly to carry Small (1-ton) Thermobaric Bombs and use the Throwing Objects rules from TacOps?
Pic related. Otherwise, probably because WMDs are outside of the Clanner bailiwick as 3A said.

Attached: Crash Erect.jpg (234x324, 17K)

Thermobaric weapons are not technically Weapons of Mass Destruction, using either the IRL internationally-accepted definition (which is limited to nukes , biologicals, and chemicals), or... technically...the definition used in the game setting.

And if there's a problem which one cannot solve using WMDs, then one has used an insufficient quantity.

>ilClan delayed again, plot line might get started this year
>more micro-content PDFs about worlds and battles nobody gives a shit about

Yay.

Well that's my objection removed. If this thing doesn't have a bandolier of thermobaric bombs strapped to its chest, I'll be sorely put out.

All right. Assuming I'm still conscious (back to the dentist since he fucked up the root canal), I'll get on that design process tomorrow. We've got till what? End of week, roughly?

Attached: BTG-AnyGivenSunday.png (692x249, 140K)

I love nontent! It's like content, but the opposite!

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58771.0

If anyone wanted to know how protos with BA gear would turn out.

>4 ton protos with armament able to beat bug mechs
>6 ton protos equalling 20 ton clan mechs in armament
>9 tonners beating 20 tonners easily
This is exactly why they don't get to do that.

What a shock, it looks like when you break the game you break the game.

Hey guys what if I used BA weights for LRMs and armor on an assault mech? Wouldn't that be suuuper amazing and not at all stupid? Hey, why not use Protomech weighs for heat sinks so mechs can have quad heat sinks? And why not let vehicles mount quad heat sinks? Hell, why stop there? Why don't we just ignore the 200 ton limit for mechs and increase it to 10000 tons? I mean we're already breaking the rules, why should anything be off limits?

Fuck off.

And are still cheaper in both money and BV.

You could a gibe BMs BA gear as well to see what comes out of it.

BTech character that witnesses this: Holy fuck.

Ah fuck, meant to respond to

>Why don't we just ignore the 200 ton limit for mechs and increase it to 10000 tons?

That sounds cool! Can I get Homing Lasers, too?

Attached: ani_gunbuster_homing_lasers.gif (320x240, 4.66M)

Cracking the tech bases in half is exactly why that shit is boring.

Can it handle my clumsy 35,000 ton aerodyne dropship with 210 PPCs facing forward? That's all I want to know.

How do you mean?

Attached: 1502065909664.jpg (1024x786, 231K)

>We've got till what? End of week, roughly?
Two weeks.

Using BA weights on anything but BA guarantees your Protomech can put out more damage simply from spending what, a third of the mass per weapon? It's the same reason you can't use Aero ranges on Riflemen "just because." Balance that stuff man.

It's like masturbating to your TOTALLY REVOLUTIONARY 100 ton 3/5 clan mech with 2 cGauss, 2 cERPPCs, a Tcomp, max armor, and 17 DHS. Yes, it's very good. No, it's not interesting. The results of minmaxing and cutting rules corners are very predictable: Oh look, another really powerful and boring unit.

It's also far from "really improves protos in ways you would have never imagined." It's terminally easy to imagine how giving them weapons that weigh between half and one tenth as much would improve them. There's no surprises, no real interesting results. It's another pile of "look at how good I am at design mom!" results that's extremely uninteresting to everyone else.

Dear /btg/: Stop trying to troll /gerg/. We love you guys, but seriously...

Attached: MWO 03.18.2018-20.32.09.jpg (1280x720, 337K)

...I will lead your shiny metal butts into a trap with a sucky event lurmboat and apply a whupping.

Love and missiles,

BC

PS Nothin' but friendship and unicorns, Shimmering Sword.

Attached: MWO 03.18.2018-20.37.06.jpg (1280x720, 306K)

what the shit is that build

Your problem is thinking we (by that I mean I) give a fuck about MWO. Keep it, throw $500 at Golden Mechs, and continue not lynching PGI as you've done. Meanwhile, we'll be over here, bitterly complaining about the game we love to hate and hate to love. Also, that's just ShimmeringSword, who's an artist and likes to attempt at trolling.

Precisely. It was a shitbuild solely to pad damage for match score for an event.

...he says to the guy who's spent zero money on the game, much less $500 on golden turds.

Actually, we have that in common. We love to hate, hate to love. But enjoy occasional shitposting, which was the whole point here. Shimmy trolled, I just had fun with the results.

Thus the love, friendship and unicorns. Although if someone turns SS into a unicorn OC, we /mlpbt/ now and that'd be mildly disturbing, Baliuses aside.

I'll meet that clan mech with a ALM-XF and melee weapons

>heheecksdee I was playing a shitty build on purpose!
Good builds get good damage, shitbuilds get shit damage. It wouldve been better if you just said you thought the build was alright.

The fact that you planned on fucking over your team by doing 400 damage to one mech doesn't make you any less of a faggot.

But it wasn't. LRMs are terrible in MWO- unlike TT, they hit with the equivalent of LB-X cluster scatter rather than 5-point groups, and the way crits work in MWO is backwards- you either want one big hit to wreck equipment or something so specialized in critspam (MGs) that it papercuts weapons/sinks/ammo to pieces in seconds.

That means LRMs are the gentlest sanding of opponents in the game, so you get lots of damage without killing, which translates to assists and damage padded matchscores.

It's a shitbuild. I was deliberately putting a salvo into each target and running them into the city while they shot at me, which meant a long stretched out line the rest of the team just plowed through from back to front.

But to keep this more /btg/ related, had a fun match with a friend this afternoon as well. Boreal Reaches map, mirror match lances of a Victor 9A1, Warhammer-D, 3025 Enforcer and Centurion. Opponent chose to start in the marked area, which got ugly fast as I charged in downhill from the opposite side, turning much of the match into a close-range slapfest.

At the end, I had a crippled Victor that had SRMed the enemy Centurion to death while mostly legless and a scarred but victorious Warhammer finally having PPCed the last Enforcer to junk. The enemy Victor fell over and blew it's own AC ammo, and the Warhammer ate an Enforcer AC/10 to the cockpit.

Attached: todaysfight.png (1022x664, 854K)

>Tacticool supiriority in a shit build!
So you're saying the shit build did good? So wouldn't it be a good build at that point? Realize your build is shit, and then realize you can do the exact same thing in better builds with the added benefit of being 100 times more valuable to your team and still doing real damage.

>Hey, why not use Protomech weighs for heat sinks so mechs can have quad heat sinks?
That'd still be worse than DHS really, since they're still singles so you still only sink 10 heat from your engine sinks.

Doing some math, under 30 dissipation you want DHS. Above that the proto sinks are better.

>Hey, with any luck, we'll finally get really *good* art of named characters and some stats/SPAs for them. We've never really gotten a "good" pin-up of Nasty K, for example, and this would be the perfect place to put one of the same quality (though not necessarily with the same fetish for body art) as the sample PCs in ATOW.

This is Randall land CGL we are talking here, so if there is statcard of Nasty K in there it won't be pinup just ugly as fuck picture of an old woman that might have red hair.

I'm not either a regular /co/ goer not a historian, but I want to say I remember that comics in the 1990s for a while became ultra grim-dark. I'm wondering if ol' Herb used to write for those emo try too hard productions.

Concerning the WoB, didn't they try to make their own Protos and the twisted crap they did to their pilots was insane?

Yeah latter part of 90's and early 00's are called the Dork Age in the comics for a reason. Battletech went Grimderp around the time of Jihad and Dark Ages and unfortunatly has continued to this day.

>Concerning the WoB, didn't they try to make their own Protos and the twisted crap they did to their pilots was insane?

Pretty much cut off the hands and the legs of their Protopilots to fit them in the cockpits and other really messed up shit with their Manei Domei troops.And that's just their own troops, Pretty much all of the planets WoB where able to conquer during Jihad had "Re-education" camps running, basically concentration/Death camps for the unbelievers, some of the decription of those are in the Era books. Also nukes and other MWDs out of wazoo just because WoB wasn't evil enough pricks to start with.

>Concerning the WoB, didn't they try to make their own Protos and the twisted crap they did to their pilots was insane?

It was literally a Halloween joke product that was supposed to be about crazy AI and zombies that they then declared actually happened. It's less edgy and more some of the actual fun lacking lately.

Which reminds me. Anybody think we'll get a good April Fool's thing this year? It's just a couple weeks away.

>that feel when your 1/2 commander gets peppered with a ludicrous number of head shots that instagibs her even though she has 3 edge
I think AtB/MM decided it was time for her to retire.

>Pretty much cut off the hands and the legs of their Protopilots to fit them in the cockpits and other really messed up shit

So no Patlabor-sized protomechs with undeveloped Nipponese pilots who have a mech fetish.

Did Herb write for Warhammer 40K or something before? I ask seriously because this is derp.

Warhammer has higher standards, bizarre as that sounds.

They really don't like committing to SPAs and skill levels for named characters much.

Captured Clan protos with kludged VDNI systems and hard-wired limbless pilots. They didn't have anywhere near the tech to build their own.

>Which reminds me. Anybody think we'll get a good April Fool's thing this year? It's just a couple weeks away.

If they do it's likely to be paywalled. Odds are extremely low we'll get anything, much less anything of interest.

>Tiny proto pilots

Not in WoB. Other factions have that. They use tiny weird aerospace pilots (clanners), people with degerative diseases that EI implants can help (everybody except clanners), and some people have tried out children (who live longer with the implants then others).

Sad, the April Fool products have been some of the best they've put out lately

Ded thread ded game

Friggin 6am in Burgerland, what do you expect? If we had some of the German fans posting here we might be busier this time of night/day, but I don't think we do.

What about the UK, France, etc?

Wait so how are they doing these new boxes if they just got slapped with another C&D?

Attached: 1480500271771.png (1900x1080, 3.76M)

Nova Cat chicks look like white trash huh

>white trash

Bruh that's a rez reject

Well, not a reject, cause she's hot. But still

The mechs they have in those boxes aren't mechs that HG can sue them over. They had to drop atleast couple of mechs out of it, Warhammer and Marauder probably, as those two where part of demofight which we saw their new minis.

Which mechs does HG have a hold on?

All of them. One of the Mechs they sued over is the 100% FASA-created Atlas, because it has two arms, two legs, and a discernable head, all of which "infringes on their control of giant warrior robot" images.

The event rewards "KMDD", that being "Kill Most Damage Dealt". Ironically, this means soaking a target in damage (shitbuild, efficiency is better for team) gets the event done faster than killing people fast with precise focused damage. Thus, it's a poor team build (LRMs are slow killers) but great for event purposes.

Ironically, I already had a dozen regular kills without KMDD for the night before switching, then got the 4 KMDD in two games, including that one. The event encouraged bad builds for optimal rewards.

If she can play the guitar I'll take her

some of you clanners are alright, don't go to Tukayyid tomorrow.

>pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

404 not found

>bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
also broken just goes to the forum.

also, i found the 'download the rules from here' thread myself.

it doesn't HAVE any fucking download links TO download the files. so where THE FLYING MONKEY CUNT FUCK are they?

FAE however ARE on the world WMD list. so there's that.

says the fucking konglet in a lurmcrow.

>40
>old

okay, so /btg/ is now infested with fucking children, apparently.

Nasty lived til like her 80s or older

Don't trust anybody over 25.

>mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

no. the link to get the rules .zip you need to unzip top get the create company function. that link doesn't exist.

You think ~200 damage is "a whupping"? You got the second lowest damage on your entire team. Truly, bragging rights are yours!

I wanna point out to folks that he's in the Stormcrow D. He's not in the Prime that did 600 damage. He did /shit/. He did not, as he claims, "get lots of damage without killing."

What the fuck? I've been meaning to make a mech game on UE4. Are you saying these assholes can sue me over it if it has arms, legs and head?

Everyone including the corrupt american courts thought it was retarded and slapped down their biychfit and told them to stfu. You'll be fine brah. Post a link if you've got a dev blog. You gunna put it in steam?

How come they don't sue literally all companies that uses robot imagery?
How come they don't sue Japanese mecha manga and anime that they don't own?

This is their schtick. Pick on shitty little companies that can't or won't defend their IP.

>You gunna put it in steam?
While I'm a firm believer in never working for free, I don't think I can justify it when wonderful games like Dwarf Fortress and Elona are free. Besides I'm mostly doing it as a hobby and to learn stuff and that alone is reward enough for me--at least for now. Anyways, if you ever see some kind of Digital Combat Simulator: Mech - Warband some time in the far off future it's probably mine. If you're not familiar with DCS, think piloting mechs but you can actually press buttons in your cockpit.

Attached: warband.jpg (200x300, 19K)

Toxic lesbo bitch must die.

Attached: Jehan-1990.jpg (533x446, 76K)

Kristen Marik? Absolutely.

It was a joke on two things about CGL. First it was jab at how they made latest MoC Magestrix look like old chinese woman, when every other Magestrix potrait had been a hot woman in their prime. Picture related.
Secondly it was reference to Randalls feminism and making NEAs wish of Nasty K pin-up kinda impossible.

Attached: Ilsa_Centrella.jpg (450x677, 49K)

That shit is still going on?
You'd think at some point FASA would be sick of haemorrhaging money and just hire a competent legal team to clear this shit up.

Here is her mothers potrait for reference

Attached: Naomi_Centrella-Liao.jpg (376x417, 49K)

Go look up how much it costs to hire a competent legal team sometime. Then think about how much it costs it say "Yeah sure whatever we won't make more Unseen shit."

Also, keep in mind that HG, as mentioned before, kinda got laughed out of court on that one, since they were claiming the Atlas infringed on their IP ownership of the Valkyrie. Which is obviously absurd since the two look nothing alike. Letting people make idiots of themselves costs nothing.

Also FASA isn't actually around anymore. They closed long ago, current IP holder is CGL.

No, it is the HG executive.

not bad for a sheboon

The trick is to make like Naomi's sister and die before you get old. Ilsa was apparently pretty irresistible when she was younger.

>good 'ole Jihad era
>absolute worst point in history since the original League breakup to be in the insurance business

Is that like a reverse mandrill?

Ummmm....sexy arab GILF!

Attached: Sexy.jpg (429x612, 25K)

lol someone should make a Fire Mandrill mech called the sheboon

Give it cornrows, an advanced head mounted sensor suite that looks like fat lips, and fingernails like claws.

>so you still only sink 10 heat from your engine sinks.
"a number of heat sinks may not require any critical slots on the Critical Hits Table, based on the size of the engine. To find the number of heat sinks that may be considered “critical-free,” divide the BattleMech’s engine rating by 25 and round the result down.
These sinks are considered an integral part of the engine..."
You still pay the weight penalty for engine sinks, but not the crits. Having the 6 extra sinks a 400XL can take suddenly weigh 1.5t is a small (cute, edge-case) advantage. Compared to 16 doubles it's not all that great but it's still 4.5t saved.

Eh, in 3025 she was still in MILF-land, GMILF wasn't until she went back to the Clans.

>They really don't like committing to SPAs and skill levels for named characters much.
Yeah, they had a lot of problems with autistic fans bitching about various stories, major characters (*coughBellaLeecough*) getting shot down in canon events because BATTLETECH happened, &c.

>Which reminds me. Anybody think we'll get a good April Fool's thing this year?
>good
Probably not, they're putting a shitload of work into the new releases. Then again, I've been surprised before.

They've used some of the joke releases to float playtest ideas ("best run EVER", "Third League Turning Points") or play with edge-case rules that would never otherwise get used ("Empires Aflame", "Tripods", "Nebula California", "Necromo Nightmare").
Royal Fantasy was really cool, since the "joke" half of the product was an excuse to re-release the Solaris rules/maps.
Empires Aflame had a bunch of quiet clues to some ongoing shit in BT proper that the writers COULD disavow if they wanted, but seems to be coming true.

>paywalled
Eh, I'd hardly called PWYW on RPGnow "paywalled".

"Only" and "best" are kissing cousins in this case.

I'll check out DCS, sounds fun. And shit brah, there's plenty of garbage on steam, but never enough mech games. Charge people six bucks or something. I myself would like to make a mech game. But I can't draw shit and I've never done something like it before. I have had Unity on my computer for over a year noe and not done anything with it.

Don't forget TRO 1945.