EDH/Commander General

You Can Never Go Back Home Edition

Last time on /edhg/:RESOURCES
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread question
What do you think is the most undervalued/underrated card in EDH?

Attached: 277.jpg (312x445, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-03-18-dralnu/?cb=1521434620
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/edgars-thicc-vamps/?cb=1521448091
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's the best target for Altered Ego shenanigans?

Attached: Relentless-Rats.jpg (251x356, 24K)

Attached: 188.jpg (312x445, 79K)

>What do you think is the most undervalued/underrated card in EDH?
Sol Ring.

If the community/RC valued sol ring appropriately, it would be banned.

Please give me some spicy tech for this big boy

Attached: EFA48F78-A56A-4ECF-8CFE-53C87917E561.jpg (375x523, 62K)

*dibs bedora*

Take any xenagod deck and ignore the red half.

I really want to build Zegana wheels with an emphasis on clones.

Mirrorpool is great. Giving each deck copy shenanigans normally reserved for blue is very nice.

Oh if we're going by that measurement, I don't think I've ever seen anyone resolve a Cyclonic Rift and lose.

>Oh if we're going by that measurement, I don't think I've ever seen anyone resolve a Cyclonic Rift and lose.
I have, in more competitive metas. However, it is a fairly backbreaking play in those metas that are teetering on the edge of competitiveness, and one player is beginning to incorporate infinite combos in his deck.

>I don't think I've ever seen anyone resolve a Cyclonic Rift and lose.

I have, in response to a tapped out artifact deck with Time Sieve on the stack and more than enough artifacts to take infinite turns. Ended up losing that game primarily because of Ethersworn Canonist.

Attached: 10.jpg (312x445, 67K)

I don't want to bother with the Sol Ring argument today, but I have seen people lose even after a Rift. I've killed someone in response to a Rift before. I think the main issue people have with Rift is that, no matter what your deck does, if it has Blue, you are always better off having it than not having it.

>no matter what your deck does, if it has Blue, you are always better off having it than not having it.
That's not a valid reason to ban it though because there's a shit ton of cards like that for each color.

Attached: 221.jpg (312x445, 64K)

Don't think he was arguing for the banning of Rift...

I don't think it should be banned, but what other cards like that exist in EDH?

will cyclonic rift ever get banned? I think its very likely for it to happen

Attached: honk.jpg (223x310, 37K)

>Finally find a Manglehorn in the LGS' free box
>It's somehow in fucking German
I guess it's appropriate to have a Stax card be in German.

Green Sun's Zenith can go in almost every green deck outside of Momir Vig who tutors for regular creatures. Wheel of Fortune goes in nearly every deck with red even when they have access to blue/black. Rift isn't special in that regard user.

can i get some feedback on this? I feel like my support cards are fine but my ways to close out the game are kinda lackluster

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-03-18-dralnu/?cb=1521434620

Attached: file.png (480x360, 359K)

>there's a shit ton of cards like that for each color.

please name them. other than path to exile or swords to plowshares I cant think of anything else.

Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, obviously
Cyclonic Rift/Mystic Tutor
Demonic/Vampiric Tutor/Imperial Seal
Green Sun's Zenith
Wheel of Fortune
Land Tax (arguable, depending on deck construction)

White: Swords and Path
Black: Demonic Tutor
Red: ???
Green: Cultivate and Kodama

Maybe- if it ever is it is far too late. I can only imagine how many games that card has ended.

Land Tax is an awful card to draw once in topdeck mode, which isnt that uncommon for White. Its only an include for decks that mean to abuse it/care about enchantments.

Attached: Image.jpg (223x310, 29K)

This, I've inevitably ended up cutting Land Tax from two decks now.

>Imperial Seal
Can't wait for that to get a reprint in the future.

>Green Sun's Zenith
I forgot that card was lega--
>Survival of the Fittest is legal
Jesus.

Chaos Warp for red, you dingus

White has such good enchantment/artifact tutoring that I've never had that problem. The land tax/scroll rack engine is so powerful that I find myself including it in any white or white/red deck.

Was actually thinking that and Wheel after it posted.

holy shit he's huge

This bad boy. But only as doing the first ability to empty everyone's hands. Almost like an Armageddon in blue, in the way that it pretty much makes the board state static, but doesn't draw hate for being a Land Destruction deck that actually playing Armageddon or Sunder does.

Look at EDHREC.com, for each color there will be a staples/top cards section. But take with a grain of salt, since different decks don't want some cards, and different players don't want to play some strats.

Attached: 52.jpg (312x445, 61K)

>Cyclonic Rift
All of my white decks run Teferi's Protection specifically for rift.

>land tax/scroll rack
That's some good abuse.

>Sol Ring/Mana Crypt
Yes

>Green Sun's Zenith
arguably. there are some green decks that dont run many creatures

>Mystical tutor
no. its really good but some decks dont need it. also, its card disadvantage.

>Demonic Tutor
ill give you this one as it is a get out of jail card

>Vampiric/Imperial Seal
really good and powerful but not as good as demonic because, again, its card disadvantage

>Wheel of fortune
hell no. why would I want to do that in decks that have much better card draw with no graveyard recursion?

>Land tax
maybe this one too but im not completely sold

Which one should I build?

Attached: angel commanders.png (669x311, 440K)

If your wincon is infinite mana, you can also Exsanguinate everyone/mill everyone with Fascination.

Sigarda1.0
Fuck Blackies

>hell no. why would I want to do that in decks that have much better card draw with no graveyard recursion?
Because it's a potential +6 and can ruin a Johnny's combo

why would you want chaos warp in a deck with access to utter end/vindicate/anguished unmaking? the point of the argument is whether a card is good enough to run it in a deck no matter how it is constructed. cards like swords, sol ring, cyclonic rift will always make a deck running those colors better no matter what

The other Sigarda; play Voltron, try to live the Timmy dream of swinging with a 20/20 flying double strike vigilance.

>utter end/vindicate/anguished unmaking

Those aren't red cards...

Bruna for maximum flavor and milling half your deck for enchantments to slap on Bruna.

Attached: roe-3-eldrazi-conscription.jpg (672x936, 166K)

Sigarda 2.0 is my waifu in Captain Sisay since she protects both Sisay and Reki.

thats really situational though. cyclonic rift/demonic tutor/sol ring are always good. i'm not saying wheel isnt good, its great, but it doesnt win you the game/gets you back into the game like cyclonic rift or demonic tutor

thats the whole fucking point of the argument you dingus. every deck running blue wants to run cyclonic rift but not every deck running red wants to run chaos warp

It definitely gets you back in the game.

New Sigarda with self mill and pic related to fuel your human creation.

Attached: Eternal Scourge_EMN.jpg (488x680, 108K)

>it's a magic babby just read an article on card advantage and thinks that's the only relevant consideration in evaluating a card.

No. In a singleton format with some of the best sources of card advantage available to abuse, card disadvantage is almost irrelevant in well-built decks, and card selection becomes incredibly important. All of the tutors that you erroneously discounted because they are card disadvantage are some of the most powerful tutors ever printed, and absolutely belong in every deck that runs those colors.

>wheel of fortune
>hell no. why would I want to do that in decks that have much better card draw with no graveyard recursion?
It's extremely strong hand disruption in a format with tutors, and works as huge source of potential card advantage. Every good deck has some form of graveyard recursion as a matter of resiliency. Ergo, if that aspect of wheel bothers, you, you aren't building good decks.

>green sun's zenith
>arguably. there are some green decks that dont run many creatures
No good green decks do this.

>Land tax
>maybe this one too but im not completely sold
This is the only one that is questionable.

not in the level that cyclonic rift does though. the tempo you gain after casting is ridiculous. wheel is really good but you are also giving resources to the other players and you may not draw to what you need in that moment.

Maybe not underrated, but I never see anyone else using it.

Attached: image%3A153644.jpg (672x936, 265K)

you are assuming that the decks you put the cards in are well constructed in the first place, you idiot. no matter what, any blue deck running cyclonic rift will always be better running it than not thats why it is so busted. you cannot say the same thing about all the other cards. get off your high horse and get some reading comprehension skills before posting

I use the watered down version for Meren because I don't like getting yelled at.

Attached: ddj-62-sadistic-hypnotist.jpg (672x936, 197K)

>assmad

>you are assuming that the decks you put the cards in are well constructed in the first place, you idiot.

If a deck is bad, retooling it to be better and including the cards mentioned would obviously make it better. Don't be mad because you suck at card evaluation, get better.

odyssey block truly had the best art

>Cavern of Souls is almost $90 now
Gee thanks for reprinting the stupid fucking tree and lel so randumb fear of 13 card Wizards.

I hate that thing. I tried to call some one's bluff that had mindslicer out (but no other shit) and he blocked with mindslicer and the game crawled to a stuttering halt.

and I agree but you're off to a tangent. my point still stands

You're 100% correct about his card picks, but totally wrong about cyclonic rift and sol ring and mana crypt. You see, I designed my deck to lose and not run cards that you think are mandatory. The existence of my deck that is designed to lose disproves that any card is mandatory in every deck.

Because you think cyclonic rift is mandatory, it does not belong in my oddly specific deck that isn't designed to win or be good.

You've made a point?

alright. then i'll say that every blue deck that tries to win is better off running cyclonic rift than not

yes but try reading my posts again after youve developed some reading comprehension and maybe you'll get it

Man, I love it. I play it in Chainer and reanimating it/sacrificing it not just once, but on everyone else's draw step makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Maybe I'm just an asshole. I also play 8Rack in Modern. Discard is my jam.

How do I stax.dec? Is it doable in monoblack? I saw decks running stax to gain tempo to combo-off before everybody else, but I want to just ruin combo players'/goodstuff assholes' day without running Scrambleverse.

I've got a bunch of hateful artifacts/enchantments/creatures across Atraxa colors, but they mostly cancel each other out and leave me little room for maneuver.

Attached: 74949.jpg (312x445, 62K)

Every X deck that tries to win is better off running the above listed cards than not.

See:

nigga, but they dont put you in such an advantageous position by themselves. i'm almost convinced now that you are trolling. i'll stop replying to your posts.

>saying vampiric/mystical tutor is an extremely good card is trolling.
>getting the exact card you need for the given boardstate into a known location is not an extremely advantageous position

>not getting it directly into your hand after you cast it
>relying on your hand/board state/card draw for the card to be more effective

im not saying the cards arent ridiculously good. only not to the level that rift is. ok ill stop replying now

You're wrong. Vamp is better than rift.

>rift costs 7 mana to play in the mode you're talking about
>isn't even relevant in some games due its cost
>often makes things worse because it gives the casual ETB guy two bites at the apple for free.
>vampiric tutor is a turn one play to set up combo or response, pretty much relevant in every game
>only ever a dead draw if your deck doesn't include card advantage sources.

Yeah, nah, you're retarded. Cyclonic rift is good, but it doesn't belong in every blue deck. Mystical tutor does. Vampiric belongs in every black deck. These are the cards so powerful in singleton 100 card decks that any deck with these colors would be made better by retooling itself massively to be more compatible with them.

I think the argument, that other colors have insta-include cards, does not make Rift oppresive.

Most colors like red amd white have cards because they need them, Rift is just an insane bonus. Red cannot survive against an enchantment deck, so it needs Chaos Warp. Red always has wheels because that is the only shit option you can have. White needs land tax to barely keep up with other colors. The only thing I agree with is Demonic Tutor. Blue decks don't need Rift, because they already have everything, including mass removal.

Also Rift is just 10$. Much easier to be justify putting one in a deck when you don't have to shill out 40$ to get one

>being relevant in a game =/= not including it in your deck

mystical tutor is not an autoinclude as vampiric, demonic or rift

It definitely is, because if you're running blue, you're going to be running high value targets for it, unless you're doing one of those gay artistic decks that isn't about winning but more about making a statement.

>ruin combo players'/goodstuff assholes' day
if you are playing against three people and two of them are hug and / or stax it shouldn't be too difficult to neutralize them both with powerful discard and artifacts (artifact removal?). you need a fast wincon. maybe run pic related as your commander. thoughts?

Attached: Image (1).png (223x311, 126K)

any other good infinite mana combos in blue/black then? i don't have exanguinate but i do have damnable pact as a black X spell

is there a way of making a Jhoira deck that is not all about suspending high cmc bombs?

Capsize with buyback to bounce all opponents' lands/Blue Sun's Zenith to deck'em/any number of Storm enablers for Tendrils or Gravestorm Bitter Ordeal.

sweet, thanks m8

Another efficient wincon is Torment of Hailfire

Does she have any utility as a commander?

Probably nothing that other Izzet generals do much better. If this is a waifu thing, just wait for Dominaria

Attached: F615885D-E7B6-4CE6-B4EE-1B7A91E92182.jpg (672x936, 219K)

I want to run a stax deck.
I need help to decide which one between, teferi, Grand arbiter and Nath.

Also, how do those decks fair in 1v1? I know nath is meh, no experience on the other 2 but I've seen some teferi list go 5-0 in a couple tournaments

Attached: 1521082999665.jpg (464x664, 117K)

Teferi.

He is going to be the easiest stax general to play.

I feel like Swan Song is a really underrated counterspell. Also, anyone have any suggestions on upgrading the Edgar Markov precon? Here's my current decklist: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/edgars-thicc-vamps/?cb=1521448091

Attached: c16-98-swan-song.png (745x1040, 1.9M)

i have old drana and empty the pits as well, i can pump drana infinitely while activating her ability multiple times to clear the board and swing in for lethal right? and then pits will give me tokens, but quad black is hard to cast if i don't have the infinite mana

i'm not really sure what kind of suggestions you want me to make user. it looks pretty well tuned to me

I would take out the more expensive vamps to lower your curve. Stuff like Legion Lieutenant and Dusk Legion Zealot. I would honestly up your creature count in general.
Cut stuff like door of destinies for anthems that have immediate effect, like Shared Animosity or Coat of Arms. I don't think you have enough lifegain to be seriously runnign Well of Lost Dreams. Tymna is good, even if she isn't a vamp. You can chuck a random token or two at other players to draw 2+ extra cards a turn from her. Champion of Dusk is another good source of draw. Cut Exquisite Blood if you aren't running the combo with it.

You're already running Boros Charm and Terfer's Protection, are theyre any other cards in WBR that can prevent you from getting BTFO'd by wraths? Because I imagine that's usually how you lose.

stuff like second sunrise and pic related work well against board wipes. and with plenty of counter distribution in vamps you can quickly negate the -1/-1 counters

Attached: file.png (223x310, 113K)

Just play this instead of Empty the pits. Then you also can use Gisa to sac Drana with infinite power if she can't connect for some reason, like because of Maze of Ith for example or in response to targeted removal.
If you have a way to discard, From under the floorboards also can give you million tokens and if you have infinite sacs, there's the million death trigger ones like Blood artist and Zulaport cutthroat, but my favorite is Lightning coils, although it happens only on upkeep. There's also Snake basket, which can be useful even without infinite mana, but it's shameful that it's sorcery speed only.

Attached: Dark Salvation_EMN.jpg (488x680, 105K)

I want to build either a Jeskai or Temur 3-color commander deck for my first commander deck, though I won't be doing it any time soon so I have time to learn about the format.
That being said, Commander suggestions?
Gonna look up all the partner commanders real quick, if I do partners can they be different colors?

One won a game with this out when i plaed a summoners pact, no one else was running green and so they couldn't pay the cost on their upkeeps

Seen a deck that uses her as a combo peice that aims to bounce her a infiately

Get yourself a Pic related or a Phyrexian Reclamation for getting your vamps back from the yard and recasting them

Attached: Cheap version.jpg (672x936, 227K)

Should I use this guy in pic from Dominaria when it drops or Hell's Caretaker?

Attached: dom-XWBL-whisper-blood-liturgist.jpg (672x936, 139K)

hells caretaker is bad, and this guy may actually be worse. but i would go with whisper between the 2

never seen it? I've seen it in my store a couple of times and shit can rekt a lot of decks. Seen it in Meren, Nath, Nekusar, BR something...