Mophidius Conan rpg

Is this a good system to run for Conan universe? Is the 2d20 system any good?

Attached: 6F6ECF77-C13C-4ADF-AB1D-38A61791FD6F.jpg (618x800, 211K)

I'm wondering too actually. I have a good portion of the d20 stuff from mongoose, but this version looks interesting.

No, its shit.

Play Riddle of Steel

>Modiphius
>good game
Pick one
check out the shit show of the Infinity RPG

Its odd.
Neither bad or good, it sits as with most things in that state of eh. The rules are poorly edited, but after you muddle through them it's a pretty decent system at its core. Maybe bloated for some people's taste but not as complicated as say Shadowrun.
The momentum/doom mechanics are somewhat similar to the advantage disadvantage stuff from Fantasy Flight systems (Ster Wers and Genesys) in nature, but with the capacity to affect things down the line instead of just in that moment. I like it in theory but my GM for the game doesn't seem to click with the narrative aspects of it.
Dice pools of D20 takes some getting used to but it's not awful. The combat dice is a tad janky though and could be swapped out for flat damage or normal d6 imo.
The biggest gripe I have with it is it's inconsistent tone. There is mental damage and spooks and stuff (which I know is somewhat part of s&s) but it doesn't mesh with the capabilities of the PCs. Also taking damage in general feels odd with two kinds of "HP" to keep track of for physical and mental.

I'd say worth a look if you love Conan, it's got a lot of deets and has the right vibes if you like medium crunch. But don't expect it to get everything right.

Pity, the authors made a good pitch for it when they were on CromCast.

Then again, the campaign the CromCast guys run isn't in the Conan system so maybe that should've been a hint

I'm with on this one. It's just not that great, but it isn't outright bad, either.

Check out On Mighty Thews for a nice, simple system that really gets the Conan feel right IMO.

>Is the 2d20 system any good?
Good enough for the 5th most sold RPG currently (Star Trek Adventures).

Man, sales are no indication of quality and you know it. Ex: Pathfinder

It's as if the retarded bastard child of Shadowun and Fate had been left in a dumpster, found and raised by Savage Worlds, and diversity-hired into a cushy job.

See, you had me until the part about diversity hires.
Then you REALLY had me.

t. D20 Modern fan

There's no need for that kind of language, sir. This is a work safe and friendly board. Take your hate speech elsewhere.

fag

I would pick Barbarians of Lemuria or a BRP games for a conan like game desu.
Both are easy to learn, quite deadly and can handle pretty well the gritty feel of the pulp, sword and sorcery genre.

Ok so riddle of steel, on mighty thews, barbarians of lemuria or a brp game (like runequest or that mythras game I’ve seen) are good places for Conan-like experiences. But what about the old mongoose d20 games, I heard that they’re not that great for sword and sorcery but are they still fun?

My boyfriend will be having words with you, sir.

It's D20. If you like D20 you'll like Mongoose. I don't, but I did think that Conan was a slightly better iteration of it than most.

I will say that as a resource the Mongoose stuff was fantastic. I didn't care much for the system but I have a lot of the books because their work on the fluff was outstanding.

I'm not sure on it, the book is pretty stellar, just the gameplay is kinda... ehh and poorly defined.

Seems to be the general opinion of 2D20 overall from my experience. People are snapping up Star Trek because Star Trek, not because the system is all that.

Good fluff, the system is based in d20, so you have to like it to enjoy it, I don't, but it seemed to be less shit than other games.

I hoped it was something more, but it seems to be very easy to just stack momentum by doing simple tasks.

Yep. he mechanic is in serious need of a revamp. You can easily set it up so that you're constantly generating momentum without fail, ensuring an endless supply. Given its narrative power that makes the PC's effectively godlike. Nothing makes for a challenge since they can just buy their way to success.

Its why I've started to not give momentum for simple tasks

Wise.

that and in star trek, they've just diplomacy'd out of any situation that might of ended in a fight, because my players and myself know Trek well and don't just murder-hobo everything. I think nobody has died at the hands of the PCs in this campaign, including badmen.

Awesome. I love that your group is all about the diplomacy. It's so great when you find players that like that sort of thing. Trek has its share of violence, though, contrary to what some might claim. That whole "violence is the last resort" thing trekkies like to espouse wasn't nearly as prevalent as they'd have you believe, especially in the original series. Kirk and crew punched and shot (or fucked) just about everything they came across. Given that it was conceived as "Wagon Train to the Stars", it's no surprise.