It’s 2018. Why are you faggots still talking about rapiers, armor...

It’s 2018. Why are you faggots still talking about rapiers, armor, longsword and mordhauling when all you should do is give your character a katana?

> Slices through gaps in plate
> Can’t be broken
> Folded a million times, Doesn’t lose an edge
> Used by samurai to destroy peasants with polearms
> No herp-derp meme longshorts that are useless agaisnt plate
> No neckbeard inventee HEMA, just pure and unfilteted kenjutsu that existed since forever

Attached: B4492202-E541-4767-9BD7-CCF16167DFDC.jpg (353x417, 49K)

More than that, you can have a katana that you use with Charisma instead of pathetic DEX

are you rotating your shitposts to keep them fresh?

guns->adventurer guilds->harems->katanas->guns?

Like some sort of troll-crop rotation?

and this is how you can tell that these anons don't know shit about actual medieval combat, that or a bate for the few that do

Why use weapons at all when you can be the strongest weapon of all.

Fists or bust

Attached: 1517574834921.gif (500x281, 235K)

Bait aside, how would you create a setting based on the themes of edgy urban katana man?

Copy and paste the setting of Evangelion, like every anime out there in an urban setting, it must have mechas and a single weeb with a katana to stop them. Now all you gotta do is make dialogue be filled with tradidional japanese dialogues so weebs can meem all over the campaigb

>You killed my father
>I killed you father because he was weak!
> Bastard!
> *teleports behind you*
> NANI?

> all anime are the same crap

Does he have a harem tho

This destroys the european warrior

Attached: 1445726081122.gif (424x240, 2.56M)

If you replace the mechs with human looking giants and the katanas with huge box openers, you basically got Attack on Titan.

>gaps in plate

Attached: 1516579144938.png (500x500, 112K)

>Not using a rapier, full suit of plate, a longsword, mordhauling AND a katana at the same time
amateur

>implying there's a difference between one shitty Chinese drawing and another shitty Chinese drawing.

Gilgamesh please go

>Imblying

Attached: ,.jpg (500x373, 40K)

Rapier
>Graceful
>Visually appealing and royal looking
>Used by refined gentlemen and ladies
>Great to be around
Katana
>Boring overhyped style
>Ugly sameish design
>Used by edgelords who watch too much anime
>Heh... sorry kidd.but im a BROODING LONE WOLF.... who loves violence.... and killing....

Swords forged specific way to reinforce them as much as possible because the lack of large stockpiles of metal made them forced to come up with more efficient methods.

The Katanas are supposed to be very hard and retain a sharp edge, but that hardness comes with the price of fragility against direct hits.

They're meant to deflect and redirect blows, not block them. They're meant to be used to hit on weak spots, and samurai armor more often than not had minimal metal components as opposed to western armor.

They break. They're hardly unbreakable, a noob wielding one against a longsword would likely see Katana break and while whining get a faceful of longsword's edge cleaving into their skull.

In the hands of a master? They'd be able to deflect and redirect strikes, but one on one against a longsword, they're -fragile-.

The problem with western swords in turn is that they're meant to strike direct blows and they can dull, yes, but they can be resharpened so just more maintenance on that front.

Samurai Armor & Katana vs a Full Plated warrior with a Longsword?

Katana guy's going to last longer because less weight on them, but longsword blow goes into the samurai armor like it's cheap ass riveted hide armor, katana -breaks- against plate unless the samurai gets lucky and cuts up under the arm or similar strike to the joints.

Going under armor plates, anime exaggeration occurs.

Am I trolling or trying to actually argue? Eh, even I'm not sure anymore. Just saying, both are cool and interesting, but given I get to hear a lot of these discussions from guys who actually practice with real swords I end up laughing at the Katana weeaboo claims all too easily. Ah well.

Still, excellent trollbait to make a guy think for a moment. It would be better for someone that was fanatical enough to rage, but guess we're lacking in the sort of folks here right now.

Cringe

Not him but thats a smart way to do it so they dont run stale quickly

no

This bait is so old it's giving me nostalgia. How many layers of irony are you on OP?

Katana
>can cut through tanks
rapier
>eh good for gay pretend sports I guess

Folded over a thousand times so at least 2^1000.

Hopefully not. Gun shitposting is going to be still stale for a long time. If that was by design they dragged it out way too long.

Haremposting wasn't as bad in comparison.

Since this is a shitpost thread, let's ask a similarly shit question:

Why not use a matchlock arquebus instead?

he might be new, the katanas are underpowered pasta gets serious replies from newfags these days, so maybe he thinks he's being original.
or retro trolling is a thing now. next thing flareposting'll be back.

>can cut through tanks
Yeah i'm sure you'll be able to run up to a tank without dying

Yes, it's called zigzagging lmao

>but longsword blow goes into the samurai armor like it's cheap ass riveted hide armor,
Samurai armor used small metal plates riveted together, with small amounts of chainmail in the gaps and layers of silk and burlap underneath for padding and a tiny bit more stabbing protection. It wasn't always steel, but wooden armor is literally a meme caused by them laminating metal with the same laminate they used for wood.

>Posting the Katanas are overpowered pasta is now considered retro

Attached: 128978639439820110725-22047-1uztw0d[1].png (429x410, 5K)

>not just cutting the shells in half
pssh...
amateur

right, im now just picturing a fat weeaboo naruto running in serpentine at a tank, with a katana in one hand and animu dvds held like shuriken in the other

hell, id actually bet on him reaching the tank because the crew would just be so confused as to whats actually happening

ofcourse then hed be mowed down by one of the machine guns after his sword shatters trying to cut through tank armor

its not the cutting power that will beat samurai armor, but the blunt force trauma combined with it
Longswords were heavy and just as capable as bashing someones brains in even if it lost its edge
thats not factoring in the sheer number of weapons that the west developed around beating armor much more resistant that samurai armor

The Estoc, the Crowbill, the Warhammer or the Flanged Mace? All meant to deal with that shit.

But what if you zig when you should zag that's when the HEAT gets you

Attached: BTFO.gif (500x281, 1.09M)

You know the japs had maces too, right? Tetsubo, or whatever the fuck it was called.

It was worth it to see this post.

>when anti-weebs inadvertently end up spouting anti-longsword memes and using them as a positive

well yeah, whats your point?
Katana werent Tetsubo and Samurai Armour would get crushed by a Tetsubo, same as by a Western Mace or Warhammer

im unsure which meme you are referring to?
the longsword more likely to go dull? thats pretty much the case, but in return it was less fragile

What a wild imagination

>longswords were heavy and can break through armor with blunt force trauma
Weebs are annoying, but there are very little unironic weebs nowadays. Anti-weebs are just as annoying and tend to spout just as much misinformation as they did.

I can't tell if that's a nodachi or if OP's pic is a 4' manlet.

>Longswords were heavy
Even the big ones were under five pounds.

they were heavier than your average katana, mace heavy? no, but around 3lbs i think was an average i heard (not a citation but what i remember)
but thats a good bit of weight with which to swing a sturdy blade and either break or hack through something

would they break full plate? fuck no
laminate samurai armour? even if it doesnt break it would mean broken bones behind them
a katana would shatter before it could try this

Nodachi. The pic is actually of all people Spoony, who is like 6 ft I think.

Slice through gaps in armour.
*laughs in Deus Vult*

This

Also remember to sage shitpost threads so potentially better threads have a chance at life.

We have found the messiah!

Katanas were a bit lighter on average but were close to the same weight as longswords.

>laminate samurai armour? even if it doesnt break it would mean broken bones behind them
It's perfectly fine lamellar armor. Don't tell me you think it's leather and bamboo.

>a katana would shatter before it could try this
Katanas are more brittle than european longswords, but the degree of brittleness is highly exaggerated. It's not going to fucking explode if you hit anything remotely hard.

You unironically responded to a bait post and are trying to refute it when you've done halfbaked research at best. I'm partially to blame since I'm responding semi-seriously in a bait thread as well.

You can't use logic against a web, they're immune to, due to their anime tainted minds.

Tl;dr: Bump

Held together by external string, that can be cut

Have you even seen Evangelion lol
It would be more like
>you killed my father!
>because he was weak!
>thank you
>*tele...wait, what?
>bye bye now I have to go jack off to sleeping girls

Katanas were shit though. With modern steel and techniques they're passable, but for the most part of their existence they were only adequate because japs hadn't anything better and shit for an armour.
Veeery pretty though (special officer ones, not gunto shit), my gramps brought several with him from the war, and I would've still had them if the old bastard hadn't broke one and bequeathed the rest to the museum.

no it wont shatter in millions of pieces like glass, but your gonna end up with a bent and twisted mess of a sword with no "blade" left to speak of

and no, im aware its not bamboo, but unless they are wearing plate then they are gonna be in serious pain from dealing with someone with a longsword and who IS in plate

dont care if bait, this is how i get my daily dose of salt

As this seems as good a thread as any for this question, here's something I always wondered about halfswording: what, exactly, stops you getting all your fingers cut off by your opponent when using that technique? When holding a sword the normal way there's obviously a crossguard or some other sort of guard to stop your hand getting cut up, especially against some cheeky cunt sliding their sword along yours into your hand. But there's nothing to protect the hand that's holding the blade, so how did halfsworders avoid getting their hands stabbed to fuck?

Attached: halfswords.jpg (602x395, 63K)

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon)
1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)
2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.

Katanas were sidearms meant to be used against unarmored enemies and in duels were a single hit would suffice to determine the victor.
They lose to longswords because longswords' main use was to pummel the other guy to death most times it wasn't even sharpened

pretty much hey, theres been so many dumb bait threads lately

Attached: 7b7.png (1280x720, 65K)

Because my character's claws are sharper, stronger, and deadlier than a katana.

>but your gonna end up with a bent and twisted mess of a sword with no "blade" left to speak of
No they won't. Katanas are run harder than longswords, but only really at the edge. They're not going to bend that easily.

>but unless they are wearing plate then they are gonna be in serious pain from dealing with someone with a longsword and who IS in plate
Japanese armor was made to deal with many of the same threats as European armor. It may not be as good in the absolute sense in palte, but to think a longsword will some how demolish is is ridiculous considering the longsword wasn't even that good against maille.

But, but, I thought getting rid of quests and /wst/ was supposed to fix Veeky Forums! Did I get tricked?

Let's be real, katana are aesthetic as fuck. That curve and wavy edge are magnificent. The whole style of kendo with the rapid, shuddering movements that make the samurai armor clatter is awesome. Daishou stands are regal as fuck. Going into battle wearing a snarling demon mask is the absolute height of bitchin'.
I'm tired of memes about edginess and pointless arguments about archaic equipment quality ruining incredibly fashionable gear.

Attached: rBVaGFbZZu6AZEFtAAIrA3lYKK8039.jpg (1000x1000, 108K)

You're wrong about katanas. They really do bend easily. there's a reason you're trained to turn the blade to the side and take a hit from another katana that way instead of edge to edge. The edge is too fragile for any real block. A good hard swinng to the side will damage a katana beyond repair because they're specifically designed to be flexible to the sides and hard when edge on, because Jap steel used to be shitty, before it was imported. I've seen antique katanas, and they're much lighter and thinner than any longsword. I say this as someone who practices Japanese swordsmanship - katanas are weak and flawed weapons previous to 1960's.

Ill give you aesthetics!

Attached: img_2936.jpg (2448x3264, 1.38M)

>there's a reason you're trained to turn the blade to the side and take a hit from another katana that way instead of edge to edge.

You are also supposed to do this with a longsword. Any kind of sword, really.

Congrats, you are a retarded armchair historian.

>That curve and wavy edge are magnificent.
Chinese swords are more aesthetic than Japanese ones. They tend to have the thicc blade.

straight swords are always nicer than curved ones, though

but not with the Bar Mace!
which makes it the best sword ever!

Attached: download.jpg (361x140, 6K)

No, just not familiar with European swordsmanship. Ignorance=/=retardation.

eh, doesnt look very straight to me

Attached: dmitriev.jpg (340x510, 60K)

I don't know, some of the Arabian, Persian, and East Indians ones were pretty cool.

I’m not sure what you think happens when a four pound metal rod whacks your head, but for comparison a baseball bat weighs two poinds.

The thing I've been wondering recently is if you can half-sword a katan, because if you can then they're unarguably the best sword.

Attached: Japanese swords.png (880x451, 165K)

surprisingly cheap.

Attached: 19th_century_japanese_Katana.jpg (1663x5470, 3.95M)

>how would you create a setting based on the themes of edgy urban katana man?
see pic.

Attached: Fedora_the tipping.pdf (PDF, 1.1M)

>says you should deliberately turn the sword to parry with the flat
>calls someone else an armchair historian

The crossguard lines up with the blade for a good damn reason.

You fool, you can only half-sword inferior european swords because they're basically blunt by comparison. A katana is far too sharp to half-sword.

>It’s 2018.
So why are you resurrecting memes of 2008?

D20fag, lel

To each their own. Straight swords have a certain elegance to them, but sabres and cutlasses will always be my favorite types of swords.

while you can halfsword with bare hands, the situations half swording was used in was either the battlefield or specific judicial duels--both scenarios where you probably had full armor on.

yes

>unstoppable force meets immovable object

She gets raped later, as I recall.

yeah but what if the tank zigzags as well?

>something I always wondered about halfswording: what, exactly, stops you getting all your fingers cut off by your opponent when using that technique?
The fact that your hands are armored. Halfswording was how you fought against plate armored opponents, in a fight between two unarmored people it's not a thing people would do. Your picture is advocating what to do if you've somehow fucked up badly enough that you find yourself fighting against a guy in plate armor and you've only got a sword, in which case getting your fingers cut is really the least of your concerns.

It’s 2018. Why are you faggots still talking about rapiers, armor, longsword and mordhauling when all you should do is give your character a choppah?

> Smashes through gaps in plate
> Can’t be broken
> Just bashed together, Doesn’t have an edge
> Used by the biggest boyz to destroy ummies with polearms
> No herp-derp meme longshorts that are useless agaisnt plate
> No neckbeard inventee HEMA, just pure and WAAAAAAAHHHHH! that existed since forever

Attached: choppah.jpg (600x400, 21K)

> Can’t be broken
this is true only because Ork weapons become choppier the more it breaks

Attached: this kills the fedora.gif (387x217, 1.62M)

what if we combined a straight sword with a curved sword?

Attached: 1463410555406.jpg (633x338, 26K)

thats not a straight sword combined with a curved sword
thats a straight sword combined with an axe!

Who needs a katana when you have this?

Attached: 1500249806784.jpg (460x307, 50K)

Attached: Its a Maddafakkin Murder Stroke.jpg (870x4454, 764K)

I give you some Eastern Slav weapons.
>good with drinking vodka with your pals
>good for killing Poles, C*tholics, Jews, and Turks

Attached: 1280px-Belarus-Minsk-National_museum_of_history_and_culture_of_Belarus-Cold_Steel-2.jpg (1280x958, 290K)

Saber's armor is real?!

Armored skirts were always a thing.

Attached: Konrad_Witz_Sabobai_And_Benaiah_(1435)_fragment.jpg (970x1540, 671K)

God dammit son I don't have time to listen to this crap about kittens when there's something rapier out there!

Attached: Jack.jpg (165x200, 46K)

Saber doesn't even wear an armored skirt, she just has mega large tassets which are perfectly real.
They just look dress-like because she's wearing an actual dress beneath them and they poof out.

Attached: 16thCenturyTassets.jpg (324x599, 33K)

katana are already half swords.
Real swords have two edges.

> not choosing the scimitar
come on, this is the one awesome thing from Turkish culture (besides gyros)

Attached: SH2354.png (555x555, 20K)

no you're thinking of this.

Attached: 1463410617243.jpg (580x360, 41K)

The blade makes it look like a farming tool, but the handle is ridiculously fancy. I am confused.