Women of Veeky Forums

Speak up. Tell us your stories, good or bad. What games do you play if any? How did you get into them? Best Veeky Forums related experience? Worst?

Give a female perspective that isn't a twitter screencap or feminist blog

Attached: 1514827446649.jpg (1120x800, 217K)

Other urls found in this thread:

buriedwithoutceremony.com/dream-askew
youtube.com/watch?v=pIuzyZWcGQs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>-4 str, "real science and statistics" and soyboy/applesponge faggotry incoming.

In my experience, there are two general ways that women in tabletop games approach the fact that they're female:
1. Focus on the game itself, and prefer that their gender not be brought up. Generally become okay with joking about being the "token girl" once they've gotten comfortable with the group, but overall are there to play games, and only stick around if you're there to play games too. These are the ones that everybody except the super-autists like.
2. Are there to be Female, and constantly bring up the fact that they have a vagina. Rarely focus on the game, and if they do they magical-realm and wish-fulfill hard, ignoring rules and generally being disruptive. They usually either like the concept of being the girl of the group but not the actual game, or are trying to get in the pants of somebody at the table. These ones will either get kicked out, or tear the group apart from within with drama or people getting tired of dealing with them.

>I roll to sever the male dragon's enormous penis, and score a victory for all women oppressed under the tyrannical male beast

And scoring an awesome bad dragon dildo in the process :D

Well I don't know, really. Nothing very related to the fact that I'm female. I DM regularly. Most of my players tend to be guys (my regular table invariably is) but I've got 2 or 3 female friends who are players from time to time too, on one-shot games. I don't really need to go out of my friend circle to find games nowadays, which I'm glad of, reading some of the threads here.
About the only time where I was annoyed with a guy at a rpg table was when I was in a club and this one dude kept signing up for every one-shot game I went to. He wasn't terrible, just pretty annoying in the long run.

>What I play
D&D3.5 (sorry), mostly. Lots of other games for one-shots. Little Fears, Trail of Cthulhu, custom systems. I tend to be too lazy to open my books nowadays so I create a new game system every time I want to run a new one-shot.

>How did I get into them
Parents. Both were first-generation gamers, my father was his group's DM like I'm mine. I learned english reading the AD&D monster manuals.

>Best experience
A cool three-shot gothic horror story with very inventive players who managed to completely derail the ending, in a good way. I had given them some control over the story ("destiny" cards where they had some words written, and they could use each of them one time to recon anything I just narrated into something else as long as it was related to the word on the card). One of them kept a card that said "orphan" up til the end of the country-shattering intrigue, and invented something about a bastard hidden heir that completely turned the story on its head.

>Worst experience
Playing Pathfinder with a first-time DM doing an official adventure (Rise of the Runelords) and the munchkin players who abused him. The over-the-top rule fuckery was funny in a way, but looking back on it I can't help but feel sorry for the poor guy. Hope he's found better players since.

>What games do you play if any?

RoS, Shadowrun, D&D, WoD, Infinity, MtG. Currently playing in a 4e game where, hilariously enough, the sole male player rolled absolute god stats. I'm trying to shill nuMummy to anyone that will listen.

>How did you get into them?

I dunno, I always like dragons and magic swords and stuff, so related things caught my interest.

>Best Veeky Forums related experience?

Four years ago a friend ran a heavily modified version of Red Hand of Doom. Probably the best campaign I've ever experienced.

OP it might disappoint you, but I don't think you get actual women to reply in this thread.

Fact is that women in Veeky Forums related stuff are a minority.
Now how many of those girls frequent Veeky Forums? How many of those girls frequent Veeky Forums. How many of those girls find your thread? How many of those girls bother to reply.

The number is I think near zero.

Attached: 1518720133543.jpg (437x437, 66K)

It certainly is, far too large to be practical.

And here I am proven wrong. Sorry for that and keep going.

Attached: 1515861759233.jpg (1280x720, 362K)

Oh yeah, forgot about non-rpg tabletop games. I play kitchen table Magic and Netrunner, and Kingdom Death: Monster. Also a healthy dose of board games. Never tried wargames.

How long have you been playing?

Imperial guard in 40k.
khador in warmachine.
mostly clerics in fantasy settings, or scholars/doctors in scifi settings.

When I was a kid my dad gave me lotr and dune to read, and star trek to watch, so I just gravitate towards these sorts of things. star wars books and movies and videogames defined my childhood.

worst Veeky Forums experience was trying to find a group. I'm terribly shy and tend to prefer staying home, and certainly never speaking up at a social gathering, so the idea of having to do these things as integral parts of games scared me for a long time. Then on top of that, it's just sort of hard in general to find a group to play with. So for a long time I was tfw no group.

Best Veeky Forums experience was finding one. I got lucky and a group of friends I know from a different context also happened to game. Blind luck. We've been playing pathfinder for a few years now. 2 married couples, one person, and a gm. and now me too.

Never really had any bad experiences at stores, past the small ones that you'd expect from general social ineptitude, my own or others'.

Attached: 1506612450299.jpg (480x360, 29K)

You'll probably find a lot of girl in /wip/. Some of the best paint jobs I've seen were done by women. But they tend to not autistically shit post about things like we do.

>Guard

What regiment?

Yeah, Louise Sugden posts in /Wip/ still sometimes. She's with the Forgeworld painting team now, and fucking deserves to be.

Attached: 20160516_132118#1.jpg (1234x1600, 308K)

I thought I was gonna be chill with this thread until I hit
>Infinity
>Riddle of Steel
>KDM
>story-centric consumable props
>childhood Dune fan

Attached: instincts.jpg (1024x942, 172K)

I've been exposed to rpgs since I was a kid, but I've actually been playing them for about twelve years. Putting a group together when you live in the countryside is... eh. Started with my dumbass childhood friends who had no idea what roleplaying was, and stopped soon after because it was worse than herding cats with rabies. Then I took it up again when I moved for my studies, and I've been playing regularly for about seven years.

What's wrong with these things?

Miranda?

It's a minority but hardly unheard of.

>2 married couples, one person, and a gm. and now me too.
>one person
The rest aren't people?

Nothing is wrong with them. That's precisely the problem.

I read that "chill" as in "not becoming creepily attracted to a person".

GMs definitely don't count as people.

>RoS
Are you following Song of Swords?

I bet faeposter is a girl

You go on thinking that, user.

Not saying that only those two types exist but I recently a type 2 player in my group and it was the most grating experience in some time
And I play Shadowrun with a GM who likes CGLs work and uses all the memes.

/thread

Fuck you.

D&D4e, VtR, WtF, Dark Heresy, BESM, Paranoia, Fate.
As cliche as it is, my bf soon to be fiance. We were dating, and he talked 40k fairly often, or grumbled about his group and his plans. I took an interest, and there it went.
The entirety of the Werewolf game, all 2.5 years of it. Everyone at the table was incredibly invested in the game, and every session had me on the edge of suspense because something bad seemed to always be happening that we had to struggle against. Yet, there were a lot of lighthearted moments, like my pc going to a club for the first time, when the Useless Werewolf adopted a stray dog, when we had to traipse across the spirit world to find The Bird to get our totem. I miss that game, honestly.
>Worst?
BESM. It was my first game, I had no idea what I was doing, and I didn't watch anime back then, so the injokes and themes went right over my head. There was also that time when the game group splintered due to my bf's ex and his formerly best friend hooking up, but that was a long time ago.

Attached: 1519134560421.jpg (807x1024, 134K)

tits or GTFO

You got a boyfriend?

What the fick is wrong with Dune?!?

Attached: great-tits.jpg (605x327, 50K)

Nope.

>tfw my entire playgroup is queer women and it's led to the best play of my life
>we almost exclusively play indie storygame shit that Veeky Forums hates

Is that relevant?

I have an incredible ability to forget about anything being funded through kickstarter the moment I close the related tab. It's why I'll probably never own anything KD related despite some of those models being perfect for ttrpgs. The only kickstarter that ever got around this for me was Dropfleet.

But yeah whenever I'm reminded of it it looks interesting.

ight, jsut that alot of what you said lines up with another female gm ive had

Is this Abbadon

>queer women playing storygames

That is the archetypal indie TTRPG experience. Which ones do you gravitate towards?

Well, maybe there are common tendencies? Most women I know like horror games for example.

Good. Keep all the cancer in one place.

We just wrapped a couple sessions of Dream Askew, which is the diceless, GMless version of Apocalypse World made by the Monsterhearts chick. She's Kickstarting a new edition of it in May, which we got to playtest; had an absolute blast. Now my girlfriend is running a FATE high fantasy game set in her novel's setting.

Before that we did Night Witches and Urban Shadows. I really love PbtA games.

Doubt I'll ever get Bluebeard's Bride to the table, though. Too triggering.

It is to me.

There's nothing wrong with being gay dude, as long as you're happy

Apocalypse World is good. The rest of those are shite though.

i've only had good experiences with Veeky Forums. i play 5e (yes i am very casual) and when i tried adventurer's league i was the only girl who showed up every time i went but people were nice and not condescending or creepy which is something i've experienced in other male-dominated hobbies. i got a little special attention for sure but i'm not gonna complain when it's just people being mega helpful and welcoming because they want me to stick around.
although, my ex always accompanied and i'm not 100% sure i would've had the same experience if i went alone. sadly i moved 2 months after i started playing so my sample size i guess is super small but i had a really good time while it lasted. so much so that i've been trying to find a decent group online but no luck so far

Night Witches is probably my favorite PbtA game, though. It's pretty brilliant.

And I adore the design in Bluebeard's Bride, it's so brilliant.

Attached: tumblr_p3qy6gfhx81r21rsxo1_500.jpg (500x313, 59K)

Describe your group user.

>me, usually the MC, been in the hobby for like a decade and the one who lives and breathes this stuff
>girlfriend, new to tabletop but longtime fan of fantasy and sci-fi, doing surprisingly well
>friend from a Discord server, longtime D&D nerd who basically has all the same opinions about storygames that I do, killer player
>Tumblr mutual, has Stockholm syndrome for Pathfinder but likes storygames, a little edgy but it's fine
>friend of a friend, very nice person but has an infuriating tendency to make characters who do nothing and actively disdain interaction with the plot, trying to cure her

>Bluebeard's bride
Not heard of that one. What's it's deal?

Another femanon here.

>Games
Tabletop-wise I play Fantasy, Mordheim, Bushido and Runewars. Just bought a load of Wrath of Kings stuff so starting that soon. RP-wise I'll play anything, but prefer horror games.

>How did I get into them
Pic related.

>Best Veeky Forums experience
At university I ran a homebrew campaign. Years later I went back to visit some friends, and they introduced me to a new guy. When they told him who I was, his eyes went wide and he said "Wait, YOU were the one that GM'd that game?!" >mfw finding out my old players were talking about my campaign years after it had finished and sharing the stories with others

>Worst
Got magical realmed by a GM with both a crush on me and a rape fetish.

Attached: nonwastedchildhood.png (607x550, 756K)

PbtA game, based around the fairytale of Bluebeard. There's a peasant girl is married off to a wealthy man who leaves her in his mansion, and tells her it's hers to explore, save one room; when her curiosity gets the better of her, she finds the forbidden room full of the corpses of previous brides, and her husband kills her for her disobedience.

All the players play as aspects of the new Bride as she wanders the mansion, with each room telling stories of previous brides, and it's all one big feminist fairytale nightmare horror story.

She played a slutty bard stripper, was cringey.

>Got magical realmed by a GM with both a crush on me and a rape fetish.
Hopefully you responded by quitting the group.

Not quite. He got a stern talking to. And once the other PCs freed me I made a big show of torturing the GM's self-insert by hacking apart his penis.

The GM still probably got off on it though

I mostly play world of darkness, Dnd, Unknown armies and savage worlds. tried branching out and trying some different games like this Mario Rpg i found and Lamentations Of The Flame Princess, but i've only played a session of each once.

I got into them because my baby sitter when i was like 7 was into dnd and we played it whenever he was taking care of us. My first character died during the first session and it was awesome(i was mostly just excited about how gorey she died, desu, but come on i was a kid.)

Worst experience? at risk of sounding whiny, it was the time i was playing 3.5 and the dm of this party really didn't like me but i was friends with most of the party so instead of actually talking it out like a normal person they tried to have my character get raped. Yeah, no kidding it was bullshit. So i quit and stole some of his players and ran my own game.

My best experience was Unknown Armies. It's hard to explain the campaign, but basically we ended up robbing a chinese bank using portland's shanghai tunnels as a portal. We also broke this recurring antagonist's nose like 4 times and it became a running joke. It was awesome.

So who's the alpha female of Veeky Forums?

Attached: 1461608960947[1].jpg (900x900, 107K)

Unknown Armies is great but

>tfw no playable Sexual Rebis (the old Mystic Hermaphrodite) in 3e

I have two female players who are semi regular. One refuses to learn the rules and brags about it like it's a virtue. I've grown to hate her dming for her. . One is pretty interested in learning the rules and playing the game just like the guy players.

Captain Lotara Sarrin

Attached: urs.jpg (640x620, 99K)

Did they got SJW'd out of the canon or something?

No, they got a better name (the aforementioned Sexual Rebis) and got described in the fluff book, just no playable rules.

It was already the trans Avatar, how would they "SJW" it?

>The number is I think near zero.
The fact that Veeky Forums is an "assume male" environment leads to a lot of confirmation bias around this. Veeky Forums hobbies are mostly male dominated but I would say that by now the divide is around 70/30 or 60/40. And that obviously isn't reflected in Veeky Forums's demographics but there are a lot more women floating around than most people assume when every post they read gets filed off as being a guy unless they specifically mention otherwise.

Just like all the people that aren't white on Veeky Forums.

>diceless, GMless PbtA game

Huh, that actually seems like a better fit for PbtA than the actual system. You say she's KSing a second edition; is the first still available?

Attached: 10875622[1].jpg (953x772, 249K)

This is one of 4chans biggest memes. Assuming that /pol/ is all white, and male.

I would recommend you look up Dream Askew before going in on it.

buriedwithoutceremony.com/dream-askew

Free download on her site, hope you like it, it's basically queer anarchist propaganda and I love it.

Worst experience I've ever had as female was from another female & her husband. The other girl was a pervert & talked about sex & cum all the time, in & out of character always ruining convos with NPCs. The husband was a creep who would regularly have enemies/NPCs try to rape/sexually assault other players characters. Not even girl players, but other dudes. Like one guy in our group was raped by an undead futa dick. His player was a dude. His character was a dude. But the DM really wanted to have his character raped a few times. Left the group when he went to rape my character & tried to fade to black. DM got pissy about it.

Best experience was with another guy DM who wasn't a creep & just let us adventure. There was another girl in that group too but she just acted like a normal person

>the trans Avatar
A trans Avatar imbued with a very specific meaning that could be (and certainly is, by some retards) read as dehumanising, restrictive and mystificatory with regards to the """"lived experiences"""" of the actual trans people.

>Avery
Oh, is THIS why everyone hates Zak S? I like the Jez Gordon art though.

>Like one guy in our group was raped by an undead futa dick.

I don't see how you let any DM get away with this shit outside of ERPs. Like, I would just laugh in the guy's face if he started pushing this. My sides would steadily lift off into orbit and would be unlikely to return for the rest of the game.

>tfw can see it as Othering of trans people and making them out to be magical fringe outsiders
>tfw really want to be a magical trans person

Feels conflicted.

Among other things.

He also doxxed an Onyx Path writer's kids.

>Every word that is spoken and sung here says at least this one thing: that this humiliating age has not succeeded in winning our respect.

We have two females in my group. It's never really been an issue.

First one is pretty cool. We watch star wars together, and she's a good roleplayer. Only issue with her is she always plays Drow and other edgy races, but she's good enough at playing it to where it's not a real problem.

Second player is a married woman. Does pretty good for someone who mostly played WoW. We get along quite nicely.

Like, provably and actually? The social media controversy around him always totally passes me by because I can just see a bunch of progressive people shouting at each other. And it's often people I like the game content of, either side. I mean I really like Sarah Horrocks and she got a lot of shit for that Vampire game.

Have you fucked either of them?

But LotFP is utter shit though.

You can like something an artist produces while acknowledging they are a shitbag person, user.
I don't understand this mentality that if someone makes something you like, they are immune to criticism.

It always makes me laugh. Like the HWNDU stuff where the people from here disrupting it were less white than the people supporting it.

First one and I talked for a bit. Rubbed her and she gave me a hand job. I didn't feel any spark, because what I wanted at the time was someone to fill the hole my gf left and I felt bad because I felt like I was just using her, so we became friends. We still watch movies together and it isn't awkward, We just finished watching Avatar TLAB.

Yeah I mean I don't play LotFP but LotFP =/= fun game stuff the OSR community games up with.

I don't think Zak S should be immune to criticism nor do I think Sarah Horrocks is a shitbag person, though. I was just asking for some more info on the Onyx Path kid doxxing.

>Night Witches
UNDETECTED
UNEXPECTED

I hope you find what you're missing in your life user.

Just because we don't preface every post with "As a woman, I think..." doesn't mean we don't exist or post on Veeky Forums.

It's an odd catch-22. In most cases if you do call attention to it unnecessarily then you're an attention whore who should just post her tits or GTFO. And if you don't, then people just assume you're male, and you contribute to the perception that everyone here is male.

I really only bother to mention it in cases like this where it's actually relevant to the conversation. But the short version is yes, we do exist and play tabletop.

RUSSIAN NIGHT TIME FLIGHT PERFECTED

go back to /b/

Attached: get to fuck.jpg (479x506, 118K)

Checked

I figure it's about 125ft up.

>But the short version is yes, we do exist and play tabletop.
And given that whenever I see people mention their group compositions there's very often at least one woman, you'd think that would be obvious. Are folks not seeing women at their LGS? Do they just get disqualified from "counting" if they're there with a boyfriend or male friend, or if they aren't attractive?

I'm currently running a Fate Core game.

Let's be honest, same way you did. Not liking normie popular hobbies and falling in with a group of nerds.

An on-and-off nearly decade-long series of games that, by the end of it, had a homebrew setting that was genuinely publishable and several epic campaigns set hundreds of years apart.

>Worst?
The second-most common worst thing I put up with are creeps, usually in public games or games with people I don't know well. If it's online, first time I get on mic on roll20 or whatever it's "You're a woman?!" inevitably followed by their trying to get weird about it, usually IC. I play about even 50/50 male and female characters, and the creep always plays opposite what I do and hits on my character. I've long since learned straightforward telling them to stop usually works best. It's a little more difficult for in-person games but it's been a long time since I've been in one with people who weren't already my friends.

The worst though, which I've yet to find a good solution for, are white knights and beta orbiters. Holy shit are beta orbiters uncomfortable to deal with. It's not even that I hate them, at least the aforementioned creeps - which aren't honestly as common as you think - have something I can resent them for. Beta orbiters are just...polite but in a bad way? It's hard to explain exactly why it's so uncomfortable, just the nagging feeling that they don't treat male friends that way. In that sense it's a little condescending even if it comes from a soft position.

Because of the above, I really usually only play in-person games with people I already know. It's not so much that it's upsetting as much as it's unfun to put up with in person. On the other hand, my LGS is a pretty nice place and the people I see there aren't unshowered neckbeards at all.

What is this meme?

Attached: 8d0684ca314804f199d6044a28ee4511.jpg (752x1024, 567K)

Dude should probably run an ERP to at least get it out of his system. or masturbate before each session. The other players were used to the creep, they were most all friends or relatives so it's not like they could easily kick him out/do anything

>Beta orbiters are just...polite but in a bad way? It's hard to explain exactly why it's so uncomfortable, just the nagging feeling that they don't treat male friends that way.
Its not a soft position, they're failed alpha's that would step over their own grandmother for mi'lady.

youtube.com/watch?v=pIuzyZWcGQs

I think I just found my mount mini for when my lore bard steals 'find greater steed'

Jazzy!