Why do mages never use gambeson?

Why do mages never use gambeson? In a lot of settings they can't wear normal metal armor, usually because of something about the metal and magic interfering, which is understandable
But they are almost always given robes or heavy clothing
What are those made out of?
Wool, linen, sometimes cotton depending on setting
Now what is gambeson made out of?
Wool, linen, cotton

I know gambeson are underrepresented in fantasy but is there any reason a mage wouldn't want to use a gambeson for that extra protection instead of just normal clothing?

Attached: battlerobe1.jpg (900x717, 276K)

Nigga you're not specifying which system, and you can outright wear byrnie's as a caster in some.

It's a lazy hack way of "balancing" a system and enforcing an old trope because if you are doing fantasy you 'have' to do classic stereotypical fantasy according to many.

In D&D and path finder it’s fluffled as armor is cumbersome and fucks with somantic components. It’s not actually about the material. Never mind that raw says that heavy armors fuck with casting chances no matter if the spell has somatic components or not.

Actual reason? Because most people (outside of the true turbo-nerds and history buffs) aren’t aware that gambeson is/was a thing back in the day and most game devs (again, outside of the true history buffs) can’t be assed to do the research because “it’s too much work for too little returns.”

Also because “MUH GAEYM BALUHNS”

General fantasy, as in a trope spanning the genre

Because Veeky Forums isn’t that smart or well educated of a board overall so naturally they only know what’s been fed to them in mass media

No but seriously is there any need at all for the back of her cloak to be laced up?

Iuno, I just saw it and thought it looked like a cool design for a more padded type of magical robes

i always figured mages wore robes because you can sow a shit ton of pockets to the inside of robes for storing spell components

5e just requires armor proficiency, if you have it you can cast normally. It’s just mechanically difficult to gain armor proficiencies as spell caster classes in most cases.

>Why do mages never use gambeson?

the reason wizards can't use metal armor was never because metal interferes with magic, it's because wizards are supposed to be making mystical poses to cast their spells like it's early-run Naruto

because gambeson doesn't exist in d&d ;)

Cloth srmor, +1 AC, 5% spell failure chance

Attached: 66fdae376d13c13b75cf4f4c0e30fdcd.jpg (594x1344, 83K)

Personally, I prefer the squishy Wizard archetype and think deliberate attempts to "subvert" the robe wearing, big pointy hat wizard outfit as distasteful.

Armor is a major stylistic facet, so it becomes boring and samey if everyone's wearing the same stuff. This is why fighters wear chain or plate, rogues wear leather, mages wear robes, barbarians wear loincloths and oil, and so on. Trying to armor wizards goes against the point of making them robed in the first place, and most people who know or care about gambesons know of them as standard armor, not wizard-specific garb.

In ff14 mage armor is like that.

>leather armor
>barbarian wearing loincloth when even during Roman times they wore textile
>chain and plate at the same time when plate was both cheaper and lighter
>barbarian using oils for armor when by that logic everyone would just use this oil instead of much heavier and restricting armor
>wearing robes in a situation where you regularly enter combat

Attached: 7645CF84-1506-40A5-9540-1BC5A05C2D02.gif (500x348, 478K)

>General fantasy
It's a cancer that should be thrown into a garbage fire.

Play in Glorantha, be a chad hoplite in golden armor and cast your enemies away, with divine, arcane or spirit magic.

I have never heard of anyone claiming that. I'd think it's just that regular fantasy is buildt on those beloved tropes, so if you want people to feel at home with how mages work in your setting then this is often how it turns out.

I am one of the people that like this trope so while I don't appreciate the post-rethoric I still agree with this user

I also agree with this user.

Yes, games are designed around swords and sorcery tropes.

You got arcane shield. Who gives a fuck?

Honestly, if a Dev needs to tidy on what type of armor a character is or isn't allowed to wear, just to differentiate them, then he really needs to press it any remaining quality form his work he can gather.