Kill 6 Billion Demons: The RPG

Is it any good?

Attached: coverRPG500px (1).jpg (500x647, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no

Damn. I was looking forward to it. Care to elaborate?

It’s pretty okay. It was Abaddon’s first foray into RPG design, and while the first few beta versions REALLY showed this, the final product is alright by me. It uses the PbtA format, so it’s a very narrative system; IMO this is a great match for the weird mysticism-meets-ultraviolence setting of K6BD, even if I’m not a fan of PbtA in a vacuum. Last I checked, some classes were a bit over/underperforming, but all seemed setting appropriate and more importantly FUN—Bosses jumping punks with their entire gang, Laws bulldozing mountains in pursuit of a criminal, and Refined O-HO-HOing plebians to death just seemed cool.

I played a session of it last night, and we had a blast.

The group was an Angel Master, a Servant Fury, A Devil Refined and a Human Fated, and a lot of the game consisted of the Devil and Angel bickering while the Fated flailed and tried to make sense of things, while the Fury just laughed and blew shit up.

The mechanics work well for guiding the action and promoting the themes of the game, but it is very reliant on enjoying PbtA, which I'm not the biggest fan of. It's fun enough, but the lack of mechanical depth wears thin.

It's why I'm looking forward to Lancer, which looks like it has a lot stronger crunch.

>Angel Master

is BMX Bandit also a class

There are worse PbtA games. But no.

Honestly, I never regretted changing to Fate Accelerated. Lets you do the same shit, but with extra goodness, like adjustable difficulty and more flexible character generation.
Not to mention, I can never come up with interesting complications for ranged combat, especially when the players have established a good chokepoint.

It'd make me want to play it if there was.

and I hate PTBA games

>Apocalypse World
That's really the only information you need to discard a game.

Seriously though, Angel is a race and Master is the swordfighter class, more or less.

Keep in mind this is a setting where you can do silly things like cut reality in half if you're good enough at swordfighting.

Master is less swordfighter and, well, Master. The old kung fu dude training students and giving them cryptic lessons or impossible tasks. They actually don't get much in the way of direct combat power, but they're very strong party support and extremely tough for a class that doesn't get any armour.

What? I haven't actually played the game, but read the comic. Isn't the master on the front of the book supposed to be young Meti?

lame.

It is. The Master is support in a weird way, where their abilities focus on training up other charactes to be badasses or being goddamn unkillable. Such particular fun ones include "take this stance and literally nothing short of diving intervention can move you", "Jump in front of an attack and you can attempt to perfect parry it to negate its damage entirely", and "make the GM answer your questions in cryptic bullshit".

If you want the more Maya-style master you want a Fury, but the example master who is young Meti is very much the implacable and impossible to kill badass. Getting to no-sell everything is pretty good at getting across that kung fu master feel.

Attached: pai mei.jpg (640x272, 10K)

*divine intervention

The game also has a playbook all about murdering the fuck out of shit, the Fury.

I think 'playbook' is a bit of a misnomer with PTBA games, as they usually consist of 1 double sided page.

No, young Meti is the Fated. The Master is the old woman who trained her.

Attached: SOT120.jpg (980x1515, 1.4M)

Meti is the master, Maya is the Fated.

I like it, but I'm also a relative RPG novice and it's the only PbtA system I've played. It runs fine if your GM/players are good was my biggest takeaway. I suspect it would grind to an awkward and frustrating halt if people aren't all on the same page. A super class based system seems really dumb for KSBD if you ask me but it does a decent job of making variation within one of the classes.

[enter Hamlet]
Hamlet: O fuck.

I thought the younger one's a Beggar now.

A Mendicant Knight, yes, but the younger one, Maya, was Meti's student, and is the Fated class. The Master class is Meti in her younger days.

Player of the Servant Fury: It was a lot of fun, though I'm a little iffy on the Fury's Mantra (The Big Trick each class gets at chargen) since it's a bit less reliable than other classes.

Bump

It's a book of all the shit you play with.

The class based system is to contain a lot of the complexity with a setting as powerful as K6BD. It's either a class system or you get Exalted. And no one wants that

Where can I find the newest version?

youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw

Check the trove

It's something like /K6BD I'm assuming? On mobile till I get to work.

The actual name of the game is Broken World, I'm sure I've seen it in Da Archive before, should still have a copy floating around.

Never played it, but as I understand it the problems with PbtA boil down to:

- GM decides everything that happens, and players roll dice to pretend that it's a game and they have agency
- The "cost" portion of the "success at a cost" result is implicitly "you don't succeed, and success is now more difficult than if you had simply rolled a failure"

Is that the gist of it?

Having actually played it, no, that's not it at all

That's it if you're naturally cynical and have no desire to give the game a fair shake.

It's true. After you give it a fair shake you realize it's an RPG to teach you how to play RPGs and nothing more.

If you're being a disingenuous cunt, sure.

The sheer number of people who get something more out of it is decent evidence that you're full of shit though.

Like, fuck, I don't even care for PbtA that much, and even I can see you're just shittalking it for no good reason.

>- The "cost" portion of the "success at a cost" result is implicitly "you don't succeed, and success is now more difficult than if you had simply rolled a failure"

...what? no...that doesn't seem right. Success at a cost is supposed to be success, it's literally part of the term.

Exactly

> I skewer the troll with my spear gutting him and dealing a Mortal wound, but he rages and breaks the haft as he pulls back, splintering my weapon in twane
> Aww man, I may as well have missed.

...Are you an idiot? Serious question.

"Aww, I had to use up a bullet to shoot a man dead, I may as well have missed"

Just pick up a pointy stick off the ground literally how hard can that be

No? You killed the troll. That's kinda a win. Especially when missing would have likely cost you the same if not more AND you'd have a living troll too.

For the record, I'm arguing *for* success with a cost. The second line is an attempt at reductio ad absurdum to point out the flaw in thinking that failure would end up being better than success with a cost.

>- GM decides everything that happens, and players roll dice to pretend that it's a game and they have agency

Welcome to role playing games.

Go to bed Gary

>succeed at lockpick, but at a cost
>make enough noise that two guards who previously didn't exist now spawn and head towards the door

The only problem with PbtA is that people keep insist on using for some thing other then what is was intended for to begin with.

Apocalypse World was a pretentious but nevertheless stylish and imaginative take on the apocalypse RPG. The Apocalypse Engine suits the intend style of play and tone just fine because that the game it was build for.

It's the exact same problem that d20 system in the early 2000s.

3.5 was an overly complex broken mess of a game. But every if it was the most well design and balanced version of dnd ever made. That still doesn't mean would be suitable for anything other then dnd.

Attached: O fuck.jpg (500x258, 40K)