How would one run a game in this setting?

How would one run a game in this setting?

Attached: hollow.jpg (750x1334, 568K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/gynoidherring/status/860501150939742209
youtube.com/watch?v=oIIuwtDL_ok
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSaAi5XOwA7O1eDCn1lMZ4L1YGNZwXvvu
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm actually working on a homebrew for it, but it's slow going at the moment.

As for non-homebrew options, you could probably make it work with a good general system like Genesys or Fate if you put in the time.

Attached: herring hornet 1.jpg (992x1024, 81K)

OSR using Veins of the Earth and a bunch of generic mooks reskinned as bugs.

Attached: rab_av.png (114x91, 25K)

I just started playing this game, today.

Get out of my head, Charles.

That...actually sounds pretty horrifying, damn.

Hornet a cute

She is! I can't wait for the dlc with her.

That art is the first of three by the same artist.
The other two are increasingly lewd.

mouseguard but instead of mice its bugs
your waifu a shit

This

Seconded, Bretta best bug

She would be if it weren't for the whole Zote debacle. As it is, we must plump for Eternal Emilitia.

You can beat up Grey prince Zote 10 times to win her heart back if you weren't such a baby.

Too late fag you're a cuck

You only uncuck yourself if you fuck Zote, those are the rules

What do you think the Grey Prince Zote battles actually represent?

My first impulse is But, if i was gonna run it I think i'd do a game of Primal Pathways, which is a weird addon for the Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2nd ed kickstarter. It's about being a primal spirit guiding the evolution of a species and civilization. I'd love to do it in a Hollow Knight inspired world.

M-

shit, this

I once asked if Hollow Knight was more like Dark Souls 1 or Dark Souls 3. Some user told me to fuck off. Now that I've actually played Hollow Knight myself, I can say FUCK YOU user! IT'S EXACTLY LIKE DARK SOULS 1! FUCK YOU FUCKING FUCK!

What is Legacy: Life Among Ruins? I haven't heard of it before but that sounds cool as fuck.

Attached: hollow_knight_concept_art__1_by_teamcherry-d8a1dgh.jpg (700x991, 264K)

I dunno but I wanna stick my penis in that shopkeeper bug lady

A lot of people instinctively want to say a game is in NO WAY inspired by DS1, purely because it's popular and a lot of people say X is the Dark Souls of Y.

But HK is obviously heavily inspired by Dark Souls.

Is Hollow Knight similar to Salt and Sanctuary as far as Souls-likes go?

It's not a proper souls-like, it's a metroidvania platformer game with some souls-esque concepts and EXTREMELY souls-like lore.

Hmmm...mind giving me a souce for those images, I'm curious

I stopped paying attention halfway through the story when most major points were literally Dark Souls but not really.

But then she just gets over both of you and leaves to find her own man.

Give me some more details about the game

What is the backstory?
What kind of Bugs are selectable?
What kinds of campaigns can you run in it?

Attached: tmp_12376-15203945633671752340073.png (475x475, 210K)

>what is the backstory
of the game? there's a lost city and a silent knight explores it to defeat a certain fated enemy
>what kind of bugs are selectable
all bugs with special abilities are enemies, one fun thing about the lore is that there's no hard line between people, animals and monsters
>what kind of campaigns can you run in it
dungeon crawls mostly

Attached: bugs.jpg (474x335, 21K)

Hollow Knight is literally dark souls with bugs

Like said.
It plays like Metroid or Castlevania, but the atmosphere, the story, the characters and level design just drip Dark Souls.

A long time ago, a race of wyrms ruled the lands. Then the worms died. And from their ashes rose new powers. Like the Radiance, who became the god-king to all the bugs of Hallownest. But one wyrm did not die. It simply transformed and became the Pale King. A bug with the power to grant his subjects clarity and wisdom. He usurped the Radiance and Hallownest prospered. Until the Radiance struck back by implanting a plague in the bug's minds, that turned them into mindless killing machines. The Pale King conducted varies experiments to find a way to stop the plague which all ended in the creation of the Hollow Knight. A void being that was made to trap the Radiance inside of himself and contain the plague.

twitter.com/gynoidherring/status/860501150939742209 Here you go user.

The question is if the Void is artificial or natural. It seems to be possibly a natural occurance that the King tried to harness to fight the radiance, hence its weird and mindless autonomy.

Attached: hollow_knight__march_of_the_insects_by_teamcherry-d8a3txq.jpg (1024x507, 101K)

I have a complicated love/hate relationship with the game. It’s huge, it’s gorgeous, the soundtrack is fantastic, the lore is awesome, the bugs are cool, and the gameplay is... pretty good. But there are things about the Metroidvania style that the developers didn’t pay attention to— for example, the game has a lot of leaps of faith, and a lot of them can end on spikes. For me, the “find Cornelius to be able to map an area” thing really didn’t work very well, either; I spent a lot of time wandering going in circles in some areas before finally getting a map and managing to do something useful.

What I really like about it is the nigh-undead quality of Hallownest. It’s still alive, in a way, but the inhabitants are nearly mindless shells of their former selves, carrying out vague facsimiles of the tasks they performed before the Radiance got to them. A lost empire undying, deep underground, its beauty faded but intact.

>What kinds of campaigns can you run in it?
Imagine a poignant, elegiac dungeon that slowly spools out a story as you travel through it. That’s the important part: it’s not a dungeon crawl about loot or even monsters, it’s a dungeon crawl about beauty and loss. If you can capture that, you’ve got the essence of Hollow Knight, regardless of whether you mimic the mechanics or follow the established setting.

Some music: youtube.com/watch?v=oIIuwtDL_ok

Playlist: youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSaAi5XOwA7O1eDCn1lMZ4L1YGNZwXvvu

I haven't played Dark Souls. What are the similarities?

When you respawn the enemies return too, when you take a risk there's nothing you stand to gain on failure. Unlike some games where you'll lose a life, but at least you got some of them and the next time you have less to worry about.
Also, no savescumming. When you rest at a bench enemies return too.

For the rest, there's the lore of undead abominations in a place that used to be much greater but is now fading into obscurity. And intelligent beings of wildly varying size.

>the game has a lot of leaps of faith
you have more control than you think

>have to defeat some beings to reach final boss, one which resides in a high point in the capital, inside its study, another deep underground where you need a lantern to reach it and a third guarded by weird mutations/abominations (there's no 4th one though)
>the way bugs go mad is literally hollowing with some twists
>one of the endings is identical to dark souls, down to the hint that your sacrifice is only temporary and you'll eventually break like the original seal did
>a king made some desperate meassure to keep his kingdom alive through some sacrifice to contain Radiance/the age of dark, only in hollow knight the king isn't the sacrifice
>setting is very similar with you exploring a dead kingdom soon to collapse forever

I'm sure there's more if I paid more attention but I eventually got really angry at how little it felt from Dark Souls I couldn't give a shit anymore.

>When you respawn the enemies return too, when you take a risk there's nothing you stand to gain on failure. Unlike some games where you'll lose a life, but at least you got some of them and the next time you have less to worry about.
>Also, no savescumming. When you rest at a bench enemies return too.

I thought the original metroid did all of this?

It did, though Dark Souls is both a more contemporary example and also shares a lot of narrative themes with Hollow Knight, so that's what people compare it to more often. Plus the whole "The Dark Souls of ___" thing that keeps showing up.

I see. I guess I expected more people to compare it to metroid since it is a metroidvania, but it seems like a lot of people who played it don't have much experience with it at all.

I think it's mostly the setting that does it too. People would compare it metroid more if it was sci-fi, like Axiom Verge or Environmental Station Alpha.

You know how you said "It’s still alive, in a way, but the inhabitants are nearly mindless shells of their former selves, carrying out vague facsimiles of the tasks they performed before the Radiance got to them. A lost empire undying, deep underground, its beauty faded but intact"?

That. That's how it's like Dark Souls.