Size in Your Settings

Do you take the size of your setting into consideration, Veeky Forums? Do you keep your settings very small, like Vatican City, or do you go bigger, like Russia or even a whole continent? Has this scale gotten in the way before, or do you guys not care?

Attached: Africa is Really Big.jpg (2482x1755, 811K)

This image is pretty misleading. Compare Africa to Asia or one of the Americas and you;ll see they're of similar size.

You tell me

Attached: Gorgoth Detail.png (1186x968, 754K)

What's the area of one of those hexagons? A square meter? An acre? A square mile?

As much as I like Grimwyrd, I've gotta say I hate hexmaps like that.

Probably the biggest problem we've ever had in my group. We used to switch the seat of GM every couple of sessions and so the worldbuilding was done either collectively when we were together or individually with each different GM. Turns out we all had very very different views on the scale of our world and we ended up retconning this particular aspect of the world A LOT. I was mostly the one responsible for this mayhem because I wanted the world to feel really huge and also make sense. So it turned from the size of approximately England to the size of an actual continent. Thankfully my group and I being close friends, it never devolved into an actual argument.
We were new to the hobby and really didn't think about this aspect until later. It turns out geography defines basically everything so scales are a big deal, at least for me.

All it three hexes on clear ground to a day's distance travelled.

Amen; this is a reduced file size render. The full map is cleaner than this... Less cluttered to fuck. Just 15 MB

>Do you take the size of your setting into consideration, Veeky Forums?
Yes.
>Do you keep your settings very small, like Vatican City
Setting covers an area about the size of modern Germany

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I usually play in a setting about the size of Asia because the sheer size of the continent means there's so much potential for adventures. You got wendigos way up north, gnolls in the deserts in the continent's exterior, merfolk living in the huge inland lake, dinosaurs in the archipelago off the southeastern coast, and so on. So many stories to be told and mysterious places to be explored.

continent's interior I meant

Yes, in terms of potential, having a bigger setting allows not only for more diversity but also for a more intricate geopolitical state. What's more you can always fill in the blanks if your continent isn't entirely mapped out as you go. So in my experience you can never go wrong with a very large setting. Then again, it might depend on what type of game you want to run, i tend to give as much freedom as possible to my players and some tend to like travelling around, so i want them to have a lot of available and interesting destinations.

By my calculations (which may be off, but seeing as though it is my world it doesn't really matter) my world is around 67% bigger than earth.

It's about the size of Ireland.

My current campaign plays on one of the infinitely many parallel Earths, though which one specifically changes from time to time.

My homebrew setting is a small (about half of Europe sized) portion of a fantasy planet with about ten times the surface land area of the Earth.

Campaign "world" map, which I broke into 8 sub-maps, the campaign started in possibly the least populated area, the Wastes of Quarmal.

Attached: Newhon.png (1229x1591, 2.35M)

First map, non-color handout version (my first real effort at maps).

Attached: Barrens Player Handoutsmall.png (1098x1520, 3.09M)

Second effort, to the west of starting area, the Ranger's homeland. At this point the party was still going to predictable areas following the early story, (and they had no ship).

Attached: Klesh Schley Stylesm.png (1500x2000, 6.23M)

scale is still the same as first map (it's about an inch to 40 miles printed out 13x19)
Basically a rainforest surrounded by low mangrove swamp, with moors to the north.

I like to stay relatively small scale. Not usually much bigger than an average medieval European kingdom or a few duchies.

Now they are 9th level, have a ship of their own, and are pursuing plots that were in the backstory of the Trickster Rogue, a prince of Tisinilit.

Attached: Tisinilit Schley Stylesmall.jpg (1500x2000, 1.28M)

Size and scale are very important to me.
I started out with a nice tight area focused on two long river systems that paralleled each other and were divided by mountains into dozens of little duchies that traded and warred and had complex relationships. Then I made the mistake of mentioning that there was a vague empire and large city to the south, and a somewhat less vague but rather less impressive empire to the north and they immediately decided that the point of the campaign was to get to the big city.
I didn’t mention the scale of their journey and they didn’t think to ask how far along with which way while trying to get there, so it was a fun campaign arc anyway.

>This image is pretty misleading. Compare Africa to Asia or one of the Americas and you;ll see they're of similar size.

What? No. No.

Nehwon isn't terribly populated, it has no "countries", just city-states exerting influence over smaller towns and villages in the area.

Also the South is the least populated with the fewest cities.

His point is that the African CONTINENT is being compared against COUNTRIES

North America and Asia are CONTINENTS
the Untied States and China are COUNTRIES

Silly user, American and European schoolchildren don't give a rat's ass about the countries in Africa. To them, Africa is just a big ole melting pot of black people who are the same in Sudan as they are in Liberia.

Attached: Africa is Really Small.jpg (1920x1920, 279K)

>ackshually

Attached: Jupiters spicy anus.png (264x269, 94K)

You're using orthographic projection, I'm using an equal-area one. Essentially, what would happen if you cut Africa out of the surface of the Earth, flattened it (which would stretch it quite a bit) until its curvature would match that of Jupiter's exosphere, and pasted it on top of it.

You can count the pixels if you like: 96px ("height" of Africa) / 1660px (diameter of Jupiter in the picture) x 139822km (diameter of Jupiter) = 8087km (north-south extend of the projected Africa).

Why do these pictures make me so uncomfortable?

You’re imagining an Earth that large and realizing just how impossibly huge the continents and oceans would be.

Is there a program you used for these maps? I like how they look.

Attached: Occhiolism.jpg (736x446, 90K)

>Implying it isn't

Seconding this.

I want to start on world building, but I don't know of any good map building tools (google comes up with some fairly obtuse online tools).

You mean you don't like a setting full of up to continent-sized floating islands in the upper atmosphere of a huge gas giant, airships and city-sized dragon whales floating between them and nesting in the undersides of the continents?

Attached: floating_islands_by_peterprime-d6xokq2.png (1280x853, 1.18M)

>Do you take the size of your setting into consideration, Veeky Forums?
Absolutely
>Do you keep your settings very small, like Vatican City
Depends on how much lore and fluff I have to make. Usually I keep my campaign to a single province, and expand outwards if necessary

fun fact
the eye of jupiter is today half the size it used to be just one century ago

Wait until you see what's happening inside

Attached: 1588.jpg (1588x952, 357K)

t. retard that can not understand a Mercator Projection

Is it exploding?

Those are cyclones in deep layers

Attached: 1716.jpg (1716x1795, 470K)

>tfw the great storm of the Red Spot may end within your lifetime

Attached: tuck me in, let me die.jpg (1200x850, 198K)

africa is like 35% desert. no one lives there.

>Earth is like 70% water. No one lives there

Think about all the cultures and history of earth and then imagine the insanity that would be an jupiter-sized earth.
The columbian exchange was crazy enough as it is.

Attached: 1473109877219.jpg (1400x943, 167K)

África is a fictional contingent, nice try.

>what is Egypt

Please don't compare Europeans and those stupid Americans.

And for all that land, they literally accomplished nothing

this

some fucking retards in this thread don't realize Stan Lee made it up for Black Panther.

Once I'm done hopping around the country I'll be running fairly localized scenarios, with the primary setting being working essentially as a black op team for a renaissance duke or count, and many scenarios will be taking place within the home city. Other scenarios will range from different city, with a clear goal in mind, such as fix this tournament in duke's favor, rob a bank for an heirloom, or get a local spy outta deep shit. Occasional forays will pertain to investigate why there's been no word from this mine, and stuff like that.

All fairly self contained, which is funny because the goal with that campaign is to work on my world building by being able to build on certain concepts over time, such as the local religion, and history.

About 6 inches on average.

What are some innovative ideas or inventions you've come up with, user?

>Implying that the Bantu didn't proliferate everywhere south of the Sahara
Sure there are other ethnic groups, but expecting Bantu everywhere is a safe bet

Cramming all the stuff you would to a large continent to fully fleshing out a small region makes it far more interesting and intimate

Who cares what the different tribes of naked savanna spearmen call themselvees?

guildposting

Yes, size is a pretty important part of my setting

Attached: yilx.jpg (649x1131, 286K)

>Macro
I don't understand this fetish. Amazons I can get behind, but this is going too far.

It's also showing the US without Alaska, which is a grip of the US' total area.

I'm suddenly reminded of Fundament from Destiny. Basically put, it was a massive gas giant where the inbetween area was where the chunks of planets became floating continents while giant squid things swam in the sky called Storm Joys and bigger than continent sized Dragon/Wyrm Gods that have whole cities and civilizations living on their bodies and worship them live in the planet's core.

Most campaigns that I've run have been sci-fi with the players owning or at least operating a starship, so the scale is a lot bigger. Getting places is usually not very hard, it's finding them that's the problem. If the players are on a manhunt, they might know the planet where their target was last seen, but it will still be difficult to locate him and pin him down. It makes chases and searching for things fun and I don't need to make a map because they can make warp jumps between star systems within a day.

It don't understand it either and I have it. Just follow your dick user.

I'm not sure if it's what they used, but Inkarnate might work for you.

The entirety of Jupiter is just a huge ball of constant storms.