>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:

How much backstory do you create for your character? Do you just roll with a generalized concept that can be summarized with a few sentences/short paragraph, and then expand on who the character is through play; or do you come with a meticulously built background to draw from already?

Attached: 1506706884552.jpg (978x1000, 360K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G38HtgPpTkhzeX3hQasTRfBHrOnHM4jz9zniJqGvWSQ/edit?usp=sharing
gmbinder.com/share/-L7aBc5w6H8zs2ruouem
thegiddylimit.github.io/classes.html#ranger (spell-less)_uamodifyingclasses
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1vHNJOuG
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

re: asking

been playing gridless, if attack range is 5 feet, can i hit people next to me on the grid and one block away? or do i have to be right next to them?

If you're on a grid, you have to be adjacent. Unless you're using a polearm or other weapon that has reach.

Answered for you in other thread.

5 feet means they need to be adjacent on the grid. Gridless it would translate to 1inch.

Anons? Long story short, I really want to make a race of wolverine beast-folk for my setting. I figure they'd be a fairly short race, since wolverines are basically the dwarves of the animal world, but should they be "short Medium" like actual dwarves, or full-on Small sized?

Squares or Hexes?

Attached: you just lost the game.jpg (970x600, 127K)

Keep in mind that the small races are like, what, two to three feet tall? They are the size of children. Do you want your wolverines to be the size of children? No? Then make them medium.

I missed the last few threads but I'm back, this time with an organized and fully linked-out spreadsheet. Said spreadsheet of homebrew is here: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G38HtgPpTkhzeX3hQasTRfBHrOnHM4jz9zniJqGvWSQ/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if you can't filter or sort the columns, could be that's an owner-only thing that I need to change.

And now that we're coming up with our content because of course Mearls isn't going to do it for us, how should we work with this ever-growing collection? I've been considering picking one homebrew from the set and discussing it until we're sick of it but NOT spamming the thread with pdfs like a certain sorcerous origin, we think it's solid, or both.

What thoughts do you guys have? I'm going to dig into the DMsGuild homebrew in the trove next and post it when I get around to it. Right now though, it's late as hell and I should sleep.

As always though, post stuff you've made so I can collect it.

Attached: Fucked with an anchor.png (1000x750, 75K)

Considering halflings, gnomes, and goblins are all considered small, you're probably fine with going small for them as well.

I go squares because it makes lots of things easier if you use the 4e way of doing it, which I think mostly got translated to 5e.

Since the other thread is winding down, I'll ask here: I'm trying to figure out the CR for this enhanced Giant elk I'm working on. I can't figure out how to calculate it's average damage for the 5etools CR calculator since the hooves are only on prone creatures and also it's charge damage isn't consistent. What damage averages would I use for the 3 round average?

>How much backstory do you create for your character?
I usually write a paragraph at most that outlines their place of origin along with how and why they came to choose the life of adventure. Through this I can figure out a personality for them that does well enough for a campaign. I'd only expand upon this backstory if it became plot relevant or if the DM asks me to. As an example, here's the backstory I have written up for a Paladin that's flexible enough to be dropped into any campaign taking place anywhere on the Sword Coast or surrounding area:

>Corrupt officials drove him out of his position as Lieutenant in the City Guard when he started asking a few too many questions. Upon retiring from his post, he swore an oath to Helm that he would provide protection and stability to those that his former superiors refused to. Now he patrols the lands near his city, providing protection to poor travelers and aiding local militias.

From this we know his background, motivation, and the inkling of a personality. I'd play this guy as Lawful Neutral and have him choose to go Oath of Devotion or Conquest depending on how the campaign is going. I hope this didn't come across as autistic rambling, it's just kind of fun to explain my thought process for stuff like this.

Attached: Long tabard skirts are my fetish.jpg (1008x1280, 192K)

thanks.

I usually do one relatively short paragraph, think 5 sentences or so, per level and one paragraph of description both physical and mental. The description usually gets removed when I put the character on a sheet since a lot of that information has spaces on the sheet.

Attached: 1396186561671.jpg (900x904, 126K)

>take ranger
>remove spellcasting
>give proficiency bonus to damage against favored enemy
>give it hunters quarry from 4e as 2nd level ability
>give it another extra attack at level 15
>give it fast movement at level 5
>hit dice hp recovery maxed while outdoors
>ability to smell / detect poisons
>expertise on survival and maybe perception
Thoughts?

Attached: aragorn3.jpg (815x990, 134K)

There is already a spell-less ranger variant. Looking at hunters quarry, you basically mean give it a spell-less hunters mark. With no concentration, and may overlap with colossus slayer.

I am not really a fan of it because you're giving it way too fine of a niche, and potentially making it having overlapping features that make it less distinct.

The HD maxed is a bit much. Maybe give advantage on HD recovery while outside instead of just maxing because that negates the need for a bunch of class options and magic items.

Squares, but only because I home-made my grids, (Clear PVC Sheets 25sq. cm, 1.25sq. cm lines) and it's much easier to do than hexes.
>That said, I'm a poorfag and if I had the cash I'd probably buy a clear hex sheet if I could find one.

Not the original guy, but I've felt the hunter or beastmaster subclass should have been built into the base class because either of those options are such expected things of rangers that having them be part of subclass kinda irks me.

So, long story, I found this one kobold aesthetic elsewhere where they're depicted as being a hybrid of miniature lizardfolk and rabbitfolk. Is there anything wrong with my plundering that aesthetic for my own settings?

>beastmaster subclass should have been built into the base class
Agreed, make the pet a base part of the class with how it is now and make Beastmasters have access to higher level beasts.
I buffed one of my players, CR of creature = 1/4 of Ranger Level, at 10th can be large or smaller, 20th no size restriction

Updated this pdf, now includes Sorcerer Revised, Battlerager Revised, I slightly toned down Barbarian and slightly changed Fighter, but most importantly

It has a live link to the GMBinder document itself. So even if the PDF becomes out of date the live link will stay up to date.

The live link is also here:
gmbinder.com/share/-L7aBc5w6H8zs2ruouem

Attached: 0 - Class, Archetype, & Feat Revision Link Page .pdf (PDF, 4.78M)

So along the lines of the Moon druid to the wildshape of the base druid, I like that idea a lot.

>There is already a spell-less ranger variant.
Where?
>With no concentration, and may overlap with colossus slayer.
Well I could rework that. I just want it to be on par with fighter and rogue despite not having spells.
I just want to play Aragorn and the only edition I can do it in is 1e

>this "UA" comes out
>/5eg/ suddenly does a 180 and becomes a bastion of homebrew
I didn't think things would change so quickly.

thegiddylimit.github.io/classes.html#ranger (spell-less)_uamodifyingclasses

Hexes for outdoors and wilderness
Squares for dungeons

Oh and thinking about it more, you could give the PHB ranger beast master companion as the built in one while the revised ranger would be the upgrade. Would make playing hunter more interesting having a companion with you. Though I'd still make the built in companion a beast spirit so you can resummon it, not a 1 and done like the original companion.

You can also use the spell-less ranger version on 5e tools and mix in the revised ranger for a pretty competent martial ranger.

Rate my Evocation Wizard (level 10, +4 INT) prepared spell list:

L1: Shield, Magic Missile
L2: Misty Step, Mirror Image, Shatter, Invisibility
L3: Fireball, Haste, Gaseous Form, Counterspell
L4: Fire Shield, Banishment
L5: Cone of Cold, Animate Objects

And his cantrips are: Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, Frostbite, Thunderclap. Toll of the Dead

Its not. It's one dude, and it's largely ignored.

This is great. Are you interested in suggestions and feedback? I'd like to go through some of the classes and offer my thoughts later on.

Not at all. I think it's a pretty good start for a character. It's flexible too, which I enjoy.

Well there is one prolific dude, but there's been a lot of other guys here and there as well.

Hexes are objectively superior for combat

Of course.

Do keep in mind all the changes were done with the feats in mind too. I axed the power attack from GWM and Sharpshooter so that Martials wouldn't have such a giant spike at 4th and 5th levels and then barely grow after that.

If you remove spells you have to add a lot of features to make up for it. Rangers get some good spells that help make them better martial fighters too (that 5th level one that lets you make two ranged attacks as a bonus action is a prime example).

Tips for making hex crawls run smoother/faster/better?

Attached: chuult.jpg (1024x578, 191K)

>Keen Mind
>(-)

why on god's green earth

its a ~ which i think means its just revised

my bad then.

couldn't imagine why somebody would feel the need to take the gas out of an already pretty wimpy feat.

>Ataaz Muhahah
>Laughing Bridge
>mfw our Druid got shoved off it and then fell off when the section he was standing on crumbled because he helped me finish my Long Jump
>mfw both 100 ft falls failed to break his wild shape at level 3
That fucking thing lived up to its name, I tell you hwat

Attached: I WANT IT I NEED IT.jpg (800x480, 38K)

bland/10.
Who else is in your party, and how often do you/them complement each other in combat?

That's a ~ not a -

~ means I changed it without overall buffing or nerfing it. It's not a DM tell me the story I wasn't paying attention to feat anymore, rather it's a "my characters remembers more gooder" for everything, including knowledge checks to figure out what you're fighting or what a symbol means.

I consider it an overall buff. I increased the time from 3 months from 1 month and expanded what you can use it for. This also assumes the DM is not being a complete jackass and will retell the basic overhaul of what happened each past session if you ask because I understand it's easy to forget stuff that happened weeks ago.

Are there any good homebrew rules already out there for creating a magical construct without the golem manuals? like suits of armor, swords, ect ect?

There was this.

Attached: Crafting.pdf (PDF, 165K)

Speaking of homebrew, anyone seen this? It's a riot.

Attached: Disney_DomainV2.pdf (PDF, 716K)

thanks this is perfect!

>free wish spell once per day

Attached: lion-cheetah-meme-laughing-in-front-of-computer-screen.jpg (735x720, 125K)

>sorcerers get domain spells
alright coo-
>also they can cast each of them once a day for free
>oh and the number of spells known not counting domain spells is doubled
I think you overdid it friendo.

>get our vision for Omu being to the south from the naga in Orulanga
>get dragonslayer blessing on longsword
>heading through the jungle
>Level 8 at this point
>most random encounters are hand-waved since most are a round of combat, if that
>travel issues near that we have access to a decanter of endless water and create food and water
>Tinder, red scourge of the dwarves, overlord of the jungles, etc. pops up
>spots us because two flopped stealth rolls
>lands down
>readies to speak to these puny adventurers
>party member shifts backward
>triggers predator pounce
>fight
>round and a half
>blown the fuck up with pally smites and sword

Shitty meme pic related.

Attached: Tinder general.png (632x717, 955K)

Yeah I kinda just gave them Clerical casting in that regard.

May be a bit much. I made that at 4am and I was sleepy. Wizards knowing 24 spells at 10th level while Sorcerers only knew 11 was dumb though. But yeah I should probably either give em free domain spells or expanded spells known. Or at least make domain spells cost spell slots.

Hey y'all, can you indulge a homebrew fag and give a pass over my supplement? Art isn't all done, but the text part is. Skip straight to the subclasses if the weapon shit is too autistic.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1vHNJOuG

Attached: Farwatch.jpg (1920x1080, 258K)

Thug is cool. Iffy about the changes to longbows and recurve is worded weird.
You nerfed the fuck outta Agonizing Blast though why?

Spoilers reeee, but
Orulunga at level 8
>mfw our party is flying over there with Aaracockra magic and we just hit level 4
Gosh I have no idea where we'll be heading to next, at least we've come across a lead in the form of some witch that lives a floating rock shaped like a heart that bleeds red water and since I had detect Magic casted I could see that she was affected by Illusion and Necromancy magic and she's probably evil but at least we know the Soulmonger actually exists now after 5 sessions of literally nobody knowing what it is.

Attached: are you winning your game dad.jpg (1080x1080, 83K)

Okay I changed Sorc. You just get those spells as known now. Keeping the changes to spells known because 1st level Wizards know 6 and learn 2 each time they level up, Sorcs start with 5 now and 2 are pre-selected, learning 1 each time they level up.

20th leve Sorc knows 31 spells with 9 being mandatory. 20th level Wizard knows 44 spells.

Basically, I think the whole 2 level dip into Warlock for the agonizing blast is too easy. It's functionally just a feature now for Tomelocks in Painful Secrets, and also is good for other cantrips.

Longbows actually aren't changed in functionality, it's just the heavy property doesn't do the same thing it used to.

I agree on recurve being worded weird, basically I want it to be a ranged option in a pinch for strength characters that isn't quite as good as going dex but better than just throwing hatchets.

So, I want to try and add a skunkfolk race to a 5e setting of mine. Am I better off asking for help in fixing up the crunch here, or wait until somebody does a beastfolk general thread?

Just let them use str for damage rolls but they still have to use dex for attack rolls.

I don't know if that's a fair nerf to EB though. You effectively gutted an already bordering on weak class. I'd instead rather see Eldritch Blast scale based on Warlock level than total level.

why are you adding your fursona to your games?

I bet you'll name the spray ability BRRRRAAAAP or something you furry shit

Hey guys, is everyone happy with cannons in this game? Reckon they should do more or less damage?

Hexes all day erry day

That's fair. I will say though, consider the additional features added in terms of more spells via mystic arcanum, and that you still can get it and it's still an effective cantrip without that extra damage. Arguably a bladelock doesn't need it, and I think chainlock gets enough added utility that they don't need it either.

Speaking from experience on both sides of the screen, Warlock's power is primarily in their flexibility, not in the damage of Agonizing Blast. They can cover a lot of ground and are really good social characters outside of pure combat, and hold their own just fine in combat. I took a Warlock through some mid-tier content, and switched out agonizing blast to repelling blast because it just really wasn't that needed of a feature. It's important to remember that you have other party members dishing out damage, and the spell still hits more often than other cantrips and does one of the most useful damage types in the game, so it's still arguably the best cantrip for straight dpr.

How do you deal with a situation when someone you don't like randomly joins your regular D&D game?

Attached: 1496199607938.jpg (1260x710, 445K)

Be a man and suck it up unless they're disrupting play for others too. In which case, be a man and talk to them and the DM about it. Not necessarily in that order.

Attached: 144133192.gif (497x278, 863K)

it's a lot more complicated than that. to sum up:
>really close childhood friends
>had falling out in college, he dropped all contact with friends
>i slept with his then ex-gf, now his wife
>didn't get invited to wedding (stings)
>tried to rekindle friendship to lukewarm results
>starts trashing me on social media for no reason, I vented years of frustration and went nuclear with my reply
Dude's a major cuck and acts very childish. He broke all contact with his family and won't let them see their grandkid because they voted for Trump.

I guess I'll just stay quiet and play as usual and let him wallow in awkwardness.

Jesus

Is the DM aware?

Attached: 14234622055.jpg (500x375, 37K)

tell the dm that he just stuck a ticking time bomb in the group

>using miniatures

My players will likely be making a bargain with a Night Hag. What is a good punishment/curse for if they fail to keep their end of the bargain? (She's planning on trying to make them fail.)

i like a lot of the weapon changes you made here, my issues are

the parry feature seems too weak, if you compare this to shield, shield is a spellslot but gives +5AC until the start of your next turn, and it's easy for a caster to trigger an AoO and use shield on their turn giving them the benefit for an entire round.
granted this costs a spell slot but a caster doesnt care about their reaction outside of fringe spells like shield, absorb elements or counterspell.

Martials do care about their reaction, your AoO is what lets you soft lock creatures down forcing them to risk a free attack or wasting their action to disengage. i personally just dont find myself ever using a reaction for +3 AC to 1 attack as a martial. especially since you cant attack with it the same round you parry.

ensnaring is a little odd for the whip, the flail is a 5ft reach so you can as the feature suggests use a free hand to grapple something, but for the whip it has reach and if your attacking something 10ft away from you your not in range to grapple the target with a free hand, you could argue the whip is grappling the target but then how do you attack with the whip and maintain the grapple at the same time.

not a fan of the heavy property burning your bonus action. to cast a spell as say a paladin wielding a heavy weapon your burning a bonus action just so you can shift the weapon to cast somatic spells like bless. and because you only have 1 bonus action per turn if you move this to 1 hand you cant opportunity attack with it until your next turn where you spend yet another bonus action to move it back to two hands.

love the fact you brought back the tower shield although personally i would make it's special feature give you total cover to anything within a 15ft cone infront of you and maybe 3/4 cover to anyone stood directly behind you.

not sure i'd ever use the wind-up feature, i'd rather just take the dash, disengage or dodge action.

The problem is, most of their combat spells are archery focused. If you wanna be a melee ranger, spells really are nearly useless other than cure wounds and a few new spells XGE added because they recognized that there are at least 7 spells that only archery rangers can make use of while melee there were maybe 3 I know of. Melee rangers are usually better off spell less while archery are best with magic.

Hail, travellers. I hear rumours of Kobolds played as the Vietcong to make for harrowing combat. Do you know of a more detailed account of this, or even guidelines for implementing in 5e?

>How much backstory do you create for your character?
First I ask my DM if there's any special or significant tidbits of information about the setting. From there when rolling up my character I ask myself 3 questions
Who are they?
Who were they before?
Where are they going?
This usually establishes a frame work that I can expand on

I've done this in pathfinder and 5e and tend toward trapster kobolds.

Basically, had a ambush set up in a forest. Had a series of interconnecting winding tunnels built for small creatures with a few surface holes hidden in bushes that the kobolds would fire from and then move toward another hole through the tunnels. Because the tunnels were small, medium creatures would be moving slower down them, plus they'd have to watch out for pit traps, falling logs, etc that the kobolds would be sneaking behind by other routes or by using hidden doors behind the wooden/reinforced sections of the tunnels.

Kobold rogues stealthing for sneak attack damage worked great too.

Swift quiver is so niche it kinda sucks and there's a lot of encounters where the instant value of conjure volley is better too. If it could be used melee or ranged and gave attacks when you cast it, it would feel more worthy. Just call it swiftness.

So they basically get an extra 9th level spell slot at level 17? That seems pretty strong.

The level 1 feature is pretty weak though.

Any ideas on making my elves more interesting?

I cooked something up but realized I just ended up making seafaring-focused thalmor high elf supremacists but with a chinese aesthetic and dragon obsession. Doesn't help that I also added a giant titan in the campaign which is essentally just Numidian and a not! roman empire human faction so it really just gets too close.

I'm thinking I should keep them being a seafaring empire with chinese aesthetics but could I make it less thalmor somehow? I was thinking maybe they should be less focused on race and more focused on magical affinity, harry potter style, so maybe discriminate based on who has magic and who doesn't, and since elves are more generally magical then that could be a thing? Maybe keep with the discrimination theme but put it in a more interesting caste system or something?

Could use some ideas.

Attached: 0b47dfed7944f17b04222691e624b557.jpg (372x526, 40K)

As a GM I ask for 5 to 10 bullet points and nothing else. The suggestions in the PHB are decent but I also want players to add something of their own.

1/2
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

My logic for most of these features are to add more options, but not for them to be strictly better. For parrying, I can see your reasoning. I think it needs to be less powerful than the shield spell as you suggest, but since it as essentially at-will I am reluctant to make the AC bonus higher. I think I could remove the rider about parrying and attacking in the same round, but my worry there then becomes that weapon being essentially a guaranteed +3 to AC every round (even if it's just one attack) is very powerful. The buckler is more the choice for a character who would use it more regularly. I think since you can still use your AoO it changes combat math with more options, so perhaps a successful parry by say +5 or more stops the attacking target from moving that round. I agree it needs some fiddling with.

Ensnaring does not let you grapple with the weapon itself, but rather assists you in grappling. So, if you hit with a whip and attempt to grapple a target outside of your actual grapple range it just fails. It's not intended to allow you to 10 ft grapple, I could clear up that wording.

I understand the dislike of that feature of the Heavy property, but that's exactly why I put it in. As the property appears in the PHB it is essentially meaningless fluff, and I want it to convey big weapons that require time and heft to use. I specifically have it so it's harder to just cheese spells throughout, as I DM'd for an especially munchkin-y eldritch knight GWM and I just find it to be a flavor fail. The property offers benefits for committing to strength and the hugeness of the weapons, so it has counterbalances, and for Fighters without spells that will virtually never be an issue. You can always use a long sword or anything versatile to swap handedness quicker as well.

I like that idea for the tower shield, I think I'll probably work it in.

Deffo.

2/2
wind-up is probably the least useful feature on the whole list, and you're right, those other options are generally better. I think it fills a very specific niche though, and can occasionally prove useful. Of note it offers a way to take AoO when they move close, so it is more useful as a feature to defend allies.

I just really like the idea of setting a pike against a charge, or spinning a flail. It looks cool.

Turns out I'm retarded and forgot to put in that change to wind-up: a wound up weapon can make AoO when something moves into the weapons range.

Wish should only be able to be cast when it's upon a star.

Turn Elves into Raiders/Slavers. There are so many sub species that they make an amazing fodder. Their abilities and talents are diverse enough to make it very easy to make different ones.

Like an Elvish Empire that kidnaps other races to tend their forests to perfection, where each Elves domain is like a Bonsai Garden they want perfect but they need COUNTLESS workers to keep them perfect.

Is it true that Mearls said that sorcerer os fine and even OP? Can I get a source on that?

No. He said that they're ok at higher levels but early on suffer from a lack of spells but they can't really fix just with subclasses that get more or no one would pick the ones from the PHB

So... Asiatic Druchii?

Stop buffing sorcerers by making them compete for the wizards intended niche, instead create a niche for them. Metamagic is mediocre, but could be the focus, you could make them the arcane half caster, whatever, just don't buff their spells known and think you are helping anything. Making them slightly better worse wizards, or worse yet better wizards, is just garbage.

PHB 2.0 wen?

It's a social thing, you inviting a new person is great, checking with host and dm first. Making that person a regular is a group decision, and acceptance should be unanimous, or at least lacking dissension

When they're doing better than ever selling what's there now? Not for years if at all. Be the DM and fix it yourself.

What's your big bad's goal /5eg/?

Voices in the dark... whispers from beneath the waves...

The status quo.

Domain spells wasn’t even my idea. It’s a popular idea that’s been used for a couple years now by the community and the thing is a revision not a remake anyways. I’m not trying to make them anything beyond what they already were.

I really have no idea how I’d implement half caster status either. That’d require dropping spell slots and adding significantly more features which I’m not prepared to do in the slightest. Nor would I want to. Sorcerers should just be a more focused full caster while wizards are more generalist. Even so it was silly Wizards new almost three times as many spells as Sorcs did.

The balance also is only significantly changed past 12 level anyways. Prior Sorcs just have 1 more spell known per level + domain. And one more metamagic.

To become not!Vecna

They just want to invite their friends down from the Dark Star to party with the rest of their kin.