MTG Modern Magic General

"Off the Beaten Trail" edition

Previously on Modern General:
Dominaria release notes: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/dominaria-leak-2018-03-08

>Playing
>Hating
>Brewing

>Thread question
Do you play any offbeat cards that aren't often run in the stock version of your deck? If you do, what are you running and why? Alternatively, do you run drastically alternate versions of decks, like a Bant spin on Bogles, or a Mardu version of Burn?

RESOURCES:
>metagame
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>Search Engines
scryfall.com/
magiccards.info/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
>Budget Decks
pastebin.com/Q9D59Wry

Attached: Blooming-Marsh-Kaladesh-MtG-Art.jpg (1920x1080, 1.75M)

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for WHERE THE FUCK IS BURN

more like off my beaten dick L O L

Stop playing shitty decks.

You can't make me faggot, I'm not at a fucking GP.

Stop fucking existing, you miserable cunt

thread off to a great start as usual

Oh boy, here comes the fucking Tron guy.

NIGGERS

Kill yourselves homebrew mtggoldfish-worshipping niggers.

>implying I'm not capable of making a shitty deck myself
Why would you be upset about this anyways? Your "good" deck should win anyways, right?

The kids are on spring break, give it a couple weeks to get back to a regular level of shitposting.

Attached: 1500808412545.jpg (217x222, 34K)

>thread q
I play 1 bedlam reveler in my burn list, and izzet charms in my ur pyromancer list, if either of those count as "offbeat"

Smashing retards who play crap like Ponza or Boggles isn't interesting.

>bogles
>shitty homebrew
took a gp m8

Critique my green stompy build, bros. I'm liking ghalta so far, really adds a top end that stompy just wasn't capable of previously.

Attached: Stompy.png (1647x334, 61K)

consider a couple of fight spells and a couple more rhonas

Seems pretty standard desu. I'm not really sold on Ghalta though, seems really win-more to me. Though I guess it's really just replacing tuskers or something, which have never really been that great.
Fog seems bad, I'd rather have more Finks or even straight up lifegain like Life Goes On in the sideboard. Might want to find some room for some Graveyard hate as well.
Overall I think your list is fine though.

>Do you play any offbeat cards that aren't often run in the stock version of your deck? If you do, what are you running and why?

I run this in the sideboard for Abzan CoCo Elves.

Attached: How to anger Jund and other midrange removal decks.jpg (223x310, 29K)

I'm considering Loam in 8Rack, it gives me a better control/grind matchup and green gives me Golgari Charm.

>Playing
U-Tron
>Hating
Any green tron
>Brewing
BW aristocrats featuring Rally the Ancestors. While the deck can win out of nowhere with double zulaport/blood artist into Rally the Ancestors, it feels so clunky without the combo like some sort of bad tokens deck. I dont want to splash green Im autisticand want it to remain BW. I already added Smuggler's Copter

4x Doomed Traveler
4x Viscera Seer
4x Cartel Aristocrats
4x Zulaport Cutthroat
4x Blood Artist

4x Lingering Souls
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
4x Fatal Push
1x Path to Exile
2x Rally the Ancestors

3x Smuggler's Copter

4x Concealed Courtyard
4x Polluted Delta
4x Godless Shrine
2x Shambling Vents
1x Westvale Abbey
2x Ghost Quarter
3x Swamp
2x Plains

>Thread question
I run MD Batterskull in U-Tron because I need an earlier Wurmcoil as life buffer against aggro. It's quite ok when it comes out, else I just depend on Warping Wail. Intuition is also a good digging spell.

adding green for coco is good stuff my man

Consider Savage Punch/Setessian Tactics. Also Rhonas is alright, you can also try Obstinate Baloth and Feed the Pack in the SB. The former shits on BGx and burn, the latter cripples burn especially if you have a board and theyre trying to sneak in the last 2 burn spells

>No Unravel the Aether/Deglamer
Enjoy your wurmcoils

Is U tron actually any good? I despise tron but the call of getting to play wurmcoils, sundering titans and most importantly Thirst and Condescend gets me rock hard

Wouldn't that just be a loam rock deck? But go for it, let us know how it works out.

U Tron is in the fringe between meme and viable. It pops up in top 32s every now and then and absolutely shits on Jund/Junk but folds hard to aggro. As opposed to normal tron or eldrazi tron, U Tron is more of a durdly toolbox control deck than an actual ramp deck. It doesnt assemble the lands fast but it will dig for it while simultaneously denying your play. It's biggest strength is that its highly flexible in the artifacts it uses. Its unconventional wincon in Platinum Angel surprise and Mindslaver lock is also inevitable

I know people who have tried it with varying success. I'll try it on XMage after work and share my results.

>Durdly toolbox
Sounds like my jam, i've been playing my shitty tezz brew so toolbox artifacts that fold to aggro are nothing new.

It's okay. Definitely not as competitively viable as the ruthlessly efficient green variant but that's just the nature of trying to play a control deck in Modern. If you know your stuff the deck is completely serviceable, and if you like playing counterspells and then slamming a wincon you'll have fun with it.

I was considering fight spells, not sure what I would replace.

>Ghalta though, seems really win-more to me
I don't feel like she's win-more because you can get her out even with mediocre board states that you probably weren't going to win and go over the top of blockers you wouldn't be able to with a pumped baloth. She's also immune to ugin because her cmc is so fat, doesn't mind if the rest of your board dies like rhonas does, all your pump spells are mana reducers for her, can't be bolted or fatal pushed, just countered, exiled and sac'd.

>Fog seems bad
I feel like it's effective in damage races when you are trading swings, or when you know your opponent is just looking for one big 20 damage swing like merfolk with island walk. They spreading seas and swing, you fog then swing back. What would you suggest I sideboard instead?

>I'd rather have more Finks or even straight up lifegain like Life Goes On in the sideboard
I've got 2x pulse of murasa, they're great but 3 cmc, Life Goes On is 1 cmc, think I might switch them out.

>room for some Graveyard hate as well
You don't think that maybe 4x dryad militants and 2x scavenging ooze are sufficient grave hate on their own? They're even mainboarded.

Attached: Ghalta.jpg (3024x4032, 875K)

I'd get rid of the dismembers.

U Tron is best against a field of combo/control decks. Against a field of aggro it tends to have an extremely rough time. Spatial Distortion and Warping Wail gave it some decent cheap colourless mana removal spells to handle aggro matchups a little bit better now. What said about it being a durdly toolbox control deck is correct. This is a deck that plays the super long game because it has the best wincon that can generally win through any board state(Mindslaver lock).

U Tron was better positioned when Jund and Twin were super popular decks, it was a good choice against those decks.

i think a source of haste can be enough to win a game for him in the right deck.

>tfw half-built and then abandoned a UTron deck about a year ago
>even flipped some of the pieces (not even sure which aside from one of my two Chalices)
Should I bother trying to remake it? I lost the decklist that I was using anyways, but trying to rebuild and remake it sounds sort of neat.

Attached: rich....jpg (919x720, 59K)

xmage a couple of games and decide if it's worth the effort to make it in paper

Fair points on Ghalta, I'll give her a shot next time I play the deck.
>You don't think that maybe 4x dryad militants and 2x scavenging ooze are sufficient grave hate on their own? They're even mainboarded.
Absolutely not. Dryad Militant doesn't stop Dredge or Living End and Scooze is too mana-hungry for serious graveyard hate unless you grind out to the midgame. I run the exact same split and I still run a pair of Tormod's Crypt in the side (which should probably be Grafdigger's Cage's to hose CoCo decks as well, I'm just cheap/lazy).
Dismember is instant speed and doesn't require you to have a fat creature down, it's a lot more reliable than fight spells.

Personally I keep atleast 1 modern deck that represents a particular type of gameplay. You can try to simulate the deck, but UTron is unique in what it does in Modern. There's really no comparable feeling to fetching Mindslaver with Treasure Mage, cracking it and then saying "Upkeep, activate Academy Ruins targetting Mindslaver" and then playing and cracking it again.

that's p spicy I like it
think I'll run it on EnT against removal heavy decks

>should I bother trying to remake an awful trash deck that loses to most other decks

Everything is viable on the FNM tables.

>Thread question
I'm not sure if it's too out-there but people do sometimes question it: I run a one-of Polukranos in Green Devotion to help my matchup versus all of those token decks I play against all of the time and definitely not because he's a pet card.

I made a joke I thought was pretty creative in the last thread, and it didn't even get acknowledged. Not only that, but it was so dependent on context that it might not come up again. I'm honestly a bit crestfallen. Thanks for reading my blog, please remember to like and subscribe.

Attached: 1372205471520.jpg (518x305, 140K)

It's okay user. We still love you.

Attached: 1501411600619.png (1585x1169, 762K)

link it

Will it be reprinted at Mythic?

Attached: Image (12).jpg (223x310, 34K)

I think I saw it and thought about replying but didn't.

Wizards will reprint it but only at the Premium Mythic Rare Foil Masterpiece Series Modern: Please Buy Standard Packs rarity.

Why don't they just reprint modern staples as rares in regular blocks.

Could you imagine how much Death's Shadow or Chromatic Sphere would impact Standard? Please think of the players user.

I probably saw it but I'm not a +1'ing faggot.
Then they should print more powerful stuff in Standard, easy peasy. For the past few years Standard has been more Kamigawa than Mirrodin or Ravnica.

Man I have to go back to MTG. Gotta use that Golemancer deck a bit. I have cards from New Phyrexia, are those still Modern?

Get out while you can.

Yes. A lot of cards in NPH are busted as well

They really have no excuse for not reprinting the Modern staples that don't wreck Standard.

Modern is nonrotating and includes everything from Mirrodin block onwards (except banned shit and supplemental sets that were never Standard legal like Conspiracy).

What the retards here won't tell you is the 99.9% of your entire collection is not playable in Modern because they simply aren't good enough cards.

Best acronym but also worst acronym.
99.9% of one's collection isn't playable in Standard

Attached: 5114C7308KL._SY445_.jpg (316x445, 36K)

And you shouldn't play Standard either.

This is bait, right?
>Deaths Shadow
Mediocre without fetches, shocks, thoughtseize and street wraith
>Chromatic Sphere
1 mana to draw a card and fix mana isn't gonna get jammed in every deck, it's a niche card for decks that wanna play a bunch of powerful colorless lands and still dig with colored spells.

Are you actually retarded?

A mana dork at 1 is too powerful user! We couldn't stop Richard "PhD" Garfield I have no idea how to create a catchy nickname at 3am from putting it in Dominaria, but we're damn sure never gonna have it happen again! THINK OF THE NON RAMP PLAYERS!!!!

Mmmmm... I don't usually play tournaments anyway.

Elves are back in Dominaria, apparently.

I know, read the middle of the post again. Unless you didn't know.

I blame being tired for my illiteracy

Then why care about format?

It happens.

Odds of MTG Arena going open beta or relatively open when the NDA lfits on thursday?

If I’m playing Atarka’s Command in burn, I probably want 2 stomping grounds, right?

You'd also need Sacred Foundries too down the line for Boros Charm, but to answer your question, yes you do need Stomping Grounds

Well yeah nigga. But do I want more than 1 that I see in most AC-less burn lists?

Revolt zoo. I run rancor in the main with Boros charms. Lgs has a ton of anger of the gods and goyfs, which makes my cards work well.

1 is enough. 2 if you're paranoid or something. Generally you'd encounter situations where you need to cast Atarka's Command and a Destructive Revelry for the win.

What is the most high IQ, high tier deck in modern? Something that's strong but lets me go "Hm, that really makes me think."

Bogles

haha anyone have a picture of gabby Spartz ass haha

>thread question
I run a Turns list without all the cute utility and Snapcaster Mage shenanigans, with pure emphasis on ramming the combo in as balls deep as possible. Telling Time is an odd card compared to Cantrips, but I use Telling Time to set up Miracle triggers for Temporay Mastery. Gigadrowse is a powerhouse that can not only tap creatures, but also tap out opponent's lands the turn before I combo off. Boseiju in the sideboard wins matches against control decks. I've found that a singleton Emrakul in the sideboard is required to win against mill decks, which is the only deck I found myself consistently losing to.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/

She has nudes?

Surprise, surprise

Attached: file.png (364x471, 256K)

Instant
1B: destroy target nonlegendary creature

Attached: file.png (326x437, 224K)

Colorless untapped scryland. Nothing crazy

Attached: file.png (343x452, 236K)

What does it say?

Nevermind it's opt.

He is right tho. Both of these cards only work because synergies. You should have picked examples of cards that are good no matter what like snapcaster or bob

How good are elves right now ? Do I really have to go golgari or can I just play mono green with Craterhoof as wincon ? Also, does the new 5/4 elf in dominaria has a place in this deck for its stats alone ?

Under the radar. Strong too. Mono green is fringe tier 3-tier 2. The second color is necessary for it to be syrong due to the access to sideboard cards. GW usually runs the Devoted Druid-Vizier combo, BG runs Shaman of the Packs. 2nd best tribal deck right now next to humans. Mileage may vary in tron dominated metas

What's the wincon in GW elves ? Make infinite mana for craterhoof fetch ?

How difficult is to play Infect in the current meta? I have an almost complete deck laying around from its glory days

Attached: 28379132_2054684491439662_611669716949680026_n.png.jpg (540x675, 20K)

Infinite mana into chord of calling for Ezuri Renegade Leader/Mirror Entity

Kills a bunch of eldrazi and gurmag, which is cool. I don't know if it'll be good enough to replace Push slots, but maybe a 2/4 split of 4 pushes. Terminate is better in decks that play red of course.
Seems pretty bad with Push and Brutality running around. A resolved Brutality for kill your dude take a pump spell is pretty rough.

so since jund prices are high right now I was thinking of selling some of the stuff I have that jund wants.

I have
2 ravnica bobs
2 cliffs
2 collective brutality
2 tireless trackers
1 liliana of the veil (which I may hold on to for grixis shadow or maybe traverse shadow )
Also have a scarab god I want to sell
Already have Jeskai control, death and taxes (with the stuff to makw it eldrazi and taxes), grixis shadow, naya bun, and merfolk .

kind of want to make affinity, lantern (already have 3 bridges) ,bant eldrazi or rg eldrazi, colorless eldrazi, or humans

for affinity I would need opals, ravagers and the lands
for humans I would need 2 more caverns, meddling mages, the 5 color lands
for rg and bant eldrazi I would need hierarchs and smashers
for colorless I would need chalice and smasher
so which should I put the value I get for my card for? is affinity still tier 1?

Well you're right. Rip infect I guess.

I'm considering going into modern.

I like decks with lots of interaction (I played burn for a while but found it very boring).

Would going for mono-blue Tron or wb Tron be a nice fit in your opinions?

Maybe it's time to build stompy

Attached: IMG-20180321-WA0003.jpg (768x1024, 91K)

Burn is back in the good days when dragons of tarkir was around. Probably the last time burn meant something.

What's a really good color combination for control in modern? I'm looking for something like blue black preferably. Planeswalkers would probably be ashiok and liliana and jace. I would like some aspect of milling like traumatize or mirko vosk.

narnam renegade x4 dude + fetches, trust me

i got 2-0'd by this deck out of nowhere my bum still hurt
really a cool brew

>she
it's me or each time we can't tell the gender it's automatically a female?

I just drafted A25x3 and I feel ripped off. It's a terrible draft environment based purely around goodstuff, and the iconic cards were few and far between.

When is wotc going to fix these fucking masters sets?