Burning Wheel

What's the consensus on Burning Wheel and it's derivatives Mouse Guard and Torchbearer? I'm considering picking one of them up.

Attached: bw.jpg (307x475, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

charred.herokuapp.com/#/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They're good. Torchbearer/ Mouse Guard are easier to learn though

>Mouse Guard
>derivative of Burning Wheel
Wat.

I really like BW, but it's a niche game that needs everyone to be onboard for it to work. It can be a real slog if the players are passive and don't engage with their BITs. The book also does a fairly poor job of explaining itself, but it's much easier than it looks at first when you start playing.

charred.herokuapp.com/#/
Online fan character creator which is a fun tool to mess around with. The finished PDF character sheet is a bit broken as the gear section becomes a jumble of sentences running over each over.

I download the book but my eyes starting glazing over at the flavor text. Is this one of those games that will be most enjoyed by people who were part of the highschool drama club?

The character sheets are literally hosted on burningwheel.com

BW is interesting but I'm not sure I'd play it.

Torchbearer is an attempt to simulate OSR with BW kind of rules and the result is pointless and limiting to me.

I'd pick Mouse Guard out of the three any day, clear focus, simpler mechanics and they fit well.

The book is hard to read. It was written with pure unaltered autism, so much that the simple "Strike" action in combat, so a very simple hit takes ONE FUCKING PAGE to describe.
My players were completely discouraged, and I had to explain the rules to them and make a small pdf of 20 pages with everything on it.
And all my players are also GM, and we play a lot of different games. Burning Wheel with the only one like that.

it wasn't just me then? thank christ.

I like it.

I like it in the same way I like Promethean - you need a really good group to play it.

I am convinced he got help when he did Mouse Guard, because it's nowhere near the autism present in Burning Wheel.

It's pretentious shit.

Would you mind sharing that pdf?

Look up pdf share thread.

The systems are wack, the detailed subsystems are even more shit to the point where i actively try to avoid them even with characters geared towards them. Character creation has one of the less interesting life path systems out there that also ties into the abysmal skill list (its long, bloated, convoluted without any actual depth), and the resource/gear system is equally shit where he in the text initially says he thinks tracking individual coins and such is boring and then has you track resource points down to separating footwear from all other clothes. The resources are even worse. I'd elaborate more on how the game breaks mechanically if you even look at it but this post is gonna be too long.

As an aside, the book is full of self congratulating blurbs where he talks about how he designed something in a certain way and how well it works. And then you read it and its shit.

What does it do good then? The BITs mentioned before. Beliefs are goals characters set for themselves, and the GM draws inspiration and conflict from, that when completed earn them basically fate points, instincts are quick automated actions that either help you or fuck things up for you earning more points and traits are just character descriptions. This whole jumble helps make the game heavily focused on characters and their interplay, motivations, relations and so on. If you want a character drama type game that stuff actually helps. And by that i mean they work best when you use them to essentially self sabotage putting your character through hardships for points and drama.

In the end the only thing burning wheel is good for is: Tolkien peasant simulator.
More concretely: Low fantasy character drama. It can kinda do courtly intrigue too, but fuck, never try anything action oriented, and mystery is kinda shit too since the players beliefs drive so much of both story and essentially world building as well.

You are not supposed to run full conflicts for new player, or player that didn't read the conflict rules desu. Maybe if they accustomed with them through MG/torchbearer. Otherwise stick to simple and versus rolls until they learn.

Thank you

I've ran it for several sessions and still don't "get it", there's zero mechanical weight so when the dice start rolling nobody really knows what's going on.

Anyone play burning empires? How was it?

Any more opinions on Torchbearer? The premise looks cool, really grimy dungeon delving, from reading about it it reminds me of Darkest Dungeon. How does it play? Would it be hard to convert some old D&D modules for it? Does it work for longer campaigns or is it too deadly and characters just won't last even on higher levels?

Attached: Torch-Bearer-Logo-548x411.jpg (548x411, 46K)

I'm stupid and cant get the link to work

sendspace, man

Is mouse guard or torchbearer good for one-shots?

Attached: 1495505935547.png (562x573, 263K)

Confirmed the link is a dead link for the compact rules in the pdf share thread

Fascinating to browse through but absolutely impossible to play.

I haven't done it myself, but I think Mouse Guard would be decent for one-shots yeah.

I ran a 2-part session with total RPG newbies where it was like an hour to build characters, then the rest of the session was travel to a settlement while they got used to the mechanics and social dynamic dealing with travel hazards, then intro'd a mystery at the end. Then the next week they solved the mystery at the settlement and walked back home into the sunset. That could easily have fit into a single day if you blocked out enough time.

What version of Burning wheel should i look at? I understand they released somthing like 2 "gold" versions but they are different. I also understand that there are splat books called Monster, Adventure and Magic burners. Are they added in one of these "gold" versions? I'm i wrong? What is life?

Attached: 109.jpg (1214x1800, 527K)

>What version of Burning wheel should i look at?
None

Gold edition is the current and updated core rulebook. I dont think there are more than one. I know there was a second printing with a nicer cover, maybe thats it.

The magic and monsterburners are out of print as fuck and the creator is the kind of asshole who cant be arsed to print up new ones very often. Recently however he released the Codex which has most of the magic stuff, some of the monster stuff and maybe some other things.

The monster burner isnt that big a deal, mostly alternate races and advice for making monsters, which is pointless since the combat is garbage and making it more complex isnt gonna help. Magic burner has some semi-interesting ideas for multiple takes on magic, but the core Sorcery stuff is already in the gold book.

There's a curated trove baka.

Compared to Mouse Guard, Burning Wheel is (I don't want to use the word complex) detailed, with lot more mechanics and stuff. But Burning Wheel doesn't have the session structure flowchart stuff that Mouse Guard does, so it can be run and feels more traditional that way.

It's fine game though bit over complex in some parts, like advancement of skills.

Burning wheel is interesting, but unless everyone is forever-dm-tier familiar with the rules it's way too cumbersome to play as a storytelling game. It's a roleplaying-game-game. It's interesting to think about and the mechanics definitely help you think about how to get the most out of roleplaying, but the subsystems of traits, skill progression, and post-session player grading make it a chore.

If you flip to the back of the Gold Edition in the designer notes, the author encourages you NOT to play it, because it's overcomplicated. I do like it, and I borrow streamlined versions of it's mechanics, but I have no real interest in the running or even playing it.

The compact rules aren't in the sendspace and the link is unavailable for the archive

You never noticed?

Everything can look bad when you lie about it.

Strike
Test: Strike tests your weapon, Brawling or Boxing skill.
Effect: Successes over ilie obstacle or margin of success in versus tests
are used to increase damage and target a specific location. See the Weapons chapter for instructions on doing damage. You can only Strike consecutively a number of times equal to your weapon speed.
If you're alternating between different weapons, use the lower weapon speed.

>Burning Wheel
Lots of good ideas but Crane is an ass and the game is kinda hard to get into
>Mouse Guard
Unfucks a lot of stuff, generally easier to get. Plus the source material is great
>Torchbearer
Somehow managed to re-fuck a lot of things from MG and then some.

>Crane is an ass
You know, I feel like sometimes I'm the only person who doesn't mind people who are asses.

Probably because you aren't on the receiving end of his 15-page proclamation that he's responsible for your success.

Good for you I guess, but I remember him actively antagonizing people on forums for asking clarifications about his game ("if you're too stupid to play, don't"), and that turned me off the game pretty quickly. There's so many games out there, I'm not going to waste my time on something that's made complex on purpose.

If you really are too stupid you shouldn't play, you won't have fun and you'll play wrong

Meme reply

I mean I have browsed his forums on occasion and he often just answers questions like a normal person. Maybe a a bit direct sometimes, but never rudely.

Link?

if you want to do a dungeon crawl, just play B/X D&D which is what inspired Torchbearer. None of the BW elements translate well to dungeon crawling.