GM describes crops being harvested in the spring

>GM describes crops being harvested in the spring
>knight walks around at all times in full armor
>soldiers use swords first rather than pole arms
>peasants know how to read and write yet somehow this hasn’t led to a different political structure
>14th-15th century technology yet no firearms

Attached: 13FA7494-F42A-4077-9740-1BF9EAE55A1C.gif (410x381, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

faculty.ithaca.edu/direnzo/docs/scholarship/mastersvoice.pdf)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

MUH IMMERSHUN

Ok

But dragons don't bother you?

But magic doesn't bother you?

>Just turn your brain off bro!

>none of these are true in my setting
>other nonexistent anachronisms: forks, doorknobs, potatoes, corn, tomatoes etc etc
>make explicit exception in Pre-Columbian Exchange rule for coffee and tobacco because Tolkien did
>but not tea. Fuck tea.

Attached: 19cfc6f4a1ef097716d690fc8bdd7fa5.jpg (640x600, 161K)

>OP doesn't actually have a group to play RPGs with and just makes complaint threads on Veeky Forums

Lots of crops are harvested in the spring. Peas, beans, kale, and certain onions to name a few.
If that armor is magicked to weigh next to nothing and denotes station, why not?
Different world, different evolution of war.
>peasants know how to read and write yet somehow this hasn’t led to a different political structure
Humans (and by extension, non-humans) are creatures of habit. If there's no reason to upset the status quo, why would they?
Magic literally invalidates anything you could do with a firearm.

Divorce yourself from the reality you know. Accept that the reality of the game setting is different.

>high magic

Attached: 72417E8F-4942-4DE0-9943-7F6F5AE4C70C.jpg (500x333, 69K)

How would dragons existing change any of that? Do they make crops grow faster or something lol

It's almost like no one gives a shit

Idk user it seems like the 10 posters in this thread disagree

>Idk user it seems like the 10 posters in this thread disagree
The first four replies were all some variation of "who cares".

It's almost harvesting season

Attached: 1418934148562.jpg (960x895, 239K)

They cared enough to post and you must care to some degree as you keep posting in this thread

>lol what is crop rotation

>yet no firearms
My knights use potato cannons as their primary weapons.

What are you going to do about it.

>grim-shit low-shit
*yawn* Even more basic than hf.

Attached: 1521231530730.jpg (586x560, 214K)

>Muh low fantasy
Sweetie, adults are talking.

>I get bored if I don’t see spiky pauldrons and flashy magic

Attached: 25E01B50-40A8-4739-B59F-9DD6F7B754EF.png (488x463, 28K)

You don't even have to worry about the Columbian exchange thing for coffee.
It originated in Ethiopia, was popularized in Yemen, spread across the Muslim world and from there to Europe.

>I liek gaem of trunz

Attached: Brainlet.png (211x239, 5K)

>I want to be the hero starting from level 1

Attached: 1513214907923.jpg (125x125, 3K)

Autism aside this image is very helpful. Thank you, user.

How is game of normalfags low fantasy?

>Standing Army in the middle ages.
>Nationalism.
>Nations.
>Absolutist King.
>Modern taxation.
>Thriving urban centers (with few exceptions).

But you're asking me to turn my brain off when the DM describes a monster that flies and violates the square-cube law.

Why is it okay to turn my brain off for dragons, but not for crops?

All sound like pretty fun notions to play with, taken individually and applied consistently.

I miss when folks here liked fun.

Attached: 1503510224596.jpg (599x657, 136K)

forks and doorknobs I can understand, but corn and tomatoes aren't an anachronism unless your game is explicitly set in the Old World. if it's a fictional setting it can have whatever kind of veg I damn well please

Attached: 1509348329280.jpg (452x697, 41K)

realism in role playing games is literally just a way to flaunt your knowledge and take satisfaction in the idea you're classy and better educated than the uncultured masses, with no intrinsic merit beyond that, and you all know it, no matter how hard you deny it

I also don't have modern police forces or standing armies in my setting. Although you can be prosecuted if you witness a crime in an urban area and don't Raise A Hue and Cry. There are people who "only" work as soldiers, but they're normally called Highwaymen and anytime they're not on campaign you can find them lurking in the Thieves' Forest. Every region has a Thieves' Forest, it's where thieves and brigands hang out.

Attached: Baroque_Carl.png (454x891, 252K)

>I feel the need to justify my own autism by crafting bait threads
Consider doing something more interesting, (you) deluded person. /thread

The worst sin of any setting is thousands of years where nothing ever happens. Not just technological stagnation, which is bad enough, but no new borders, no new empires, no new dynasties, no cultural changes, no wars, no calamities, no language changes, no demographic changes, or anything, just thousands and thousands of years for no purpose.

>>knight walks around at all times in full armor
that's how you get ripped as fuaaark

I know I'm essentially asking you to recommend what you hate, here, but I can't think of a single example of that. What have you seen it in?

>Military-grade weapons and armors are allowed in cities.

While it doesn't fit all of them, Forgotten Realms with its 35,000 glorious years of dust.

You forgot to write something

Of course they would, dragon guano is an amazingly effective fertilizer, jeez

>there is a whole two month period for scaring birds
I'm in.

Also covered this one. Sideswords/dress-swords are permitted to people of status (which everyone can immediately tell depending on your clothes). For everyone else it's daggers and "walking sticks." No one will care if you have an unstrung bow or an axe put away. Two-handed weapons, crossbows, harquebus/calivers and armor are no-nos inside the walls, which is why most businesses catering to adventurers are outside the city (bloomeries/armorers smell bad anyway). Carrying incendiaries into a town will get you permanently 86'd with your entire property confiscated.

>muh grit

Attached: hello.jpg (600x450, 56K)

>if it did not exist in middle age europe, it is anachronism
When did this false equivalence begin?

>Fantasy Medieval.
>No Serfdom
>No Feudalism

>crops being harvested in the spring
*unzips citrus tree*
*knight-errants behind u*
*rondeleros into ur pike formation*
*unsheathes Roman Empire*(faculty.ithaca.edu/direnzo/docs/scholarship/mastersvoice.pdf)

I don't have a smarmy remark for this but if it weren't for weirdo Taoist monks in the Song Dynasty, Western Europe wouldn't have had firearms either. so maybe your GM's setting just doesn't have a civilization that spends an expensive amount of time fucking around with alchemy.

Attached: It+s+a+character+off+touhou+_0649a859c03c10ace89eca8918fbae40.gif (203x199, 219K)

>implying tea was part of the Columbian exchange
>implying potatoes, corn and tomatoes are an anachronism in any setting that isn't explicitly pre 16th century Europe or Asia
>fantasy worlds need to have the exact same technological progression as western Europe
>doing something because Tolkien did it and not because it makes sense or you want to
fucking autism

Attached: 10938759194.jpg (251x201, 8K)

So, there are no dyes? Must be pretty boring dressing in brown all the time.

THIS

If you're going for an accurate portrayal of medieval life, sure.

But fantasy is fantasy. A sword represents so much more than a pike or a musket. It's a poetic symbol of war, valour, and struggle.

They're just infinitely cooler.

What about inmersion? The past is weirder than most fiction. Just count the many settings where it's just a copy of modern constructs, morals etc but in a different setting.

It's ok, winter crops are a thing, you know.
Do PCs even see a knight not during battles or tournaments?
Do PCs even see regular human soldiers except from some guards, that are using swords cause streets are narrow.
Why should it lead to something like that?
Why there should be any? The existence of powder is not some universal constant.

>Gandalf, Saruman, and the Orcs used gunpowder all the time.

>ACKCHYUALLY THAT'S NOT HOW MEDIEVAL KNIGHTS WERE
>ACKCHYUALLY THAT'S NOT HOW AN ARMY WOULD FIGHT
>ACKCHYUALLY THAT'S NOT HOW SPACE BATTLES WOULD BE
I hope I'm never forced to play with one of you annoying faggots.

And fucking stolen. Thanks fag.

>He can't take historical banter.

No, I can't when retards complain as something as fucking pointless as harvesting crops during the wrong season.
Like said, usually those people don't even want to make a legit flaw in the setting, they just want to flaut their autistic trivia so they can feel superior.

>Introduce the magnificent capital of the kingdom.
>Players immediately start to joke about the lack of sewers, full of shit, and garbage.

*about something
*to make a complaint about a legit flaw
*flaunt

In MUH SETTAN, every 1000 years catastrophic shit happens because that's what magical use costs. The only '1000 years of nothing' in my setting was literally when a god stole 1000 years from the future and it was later used to restore the land after the biggest calamity yet.

Sounds comfy

Attached: 29468478_2075493315824154_6722319233574764544_n.png (540x611, 439K)

Please guys, stop, you're tearing this family apart!

That's not banter, it's being an insufferable faggot

everyone wearing brown at all times sounds about right for a typical not!Britain FantasyLand, lol. but the Phoenicians used snail secretions for their fanciest dye and the Romans picked it up from them. I imagine, as a GM, that you can justify any clothing of any color as having been dyed with a /something produced with local flora or fauna.

Attached: LZBF2kvh.jpg (819x566, 65K)

lol that pic is a good way to trigger nordicists

>The brave hero finds a giant chest filled with gold.
>It would weight a full ton or more.

monsters, dragons and shit like pic related exist without changing in any way the political, social, militaristic or fucking anything of the era

crops being harvested in spring bothers you when there is literally a spell whose effect is to make the ground fertile, make crops grow faster and yield more food, you fucking autist

Attached: cathedral of judgement.jpg (1000x1356, 211K)

Note that's an interesting way to show wealth and classes. Purple and some blues were very expensive (sometimes more than gold).

>Multiple siblings are not the norm.
>Half of them dont die within their first year.

We do this today. Some textile manufacturers are arbitrarily more expensive. They're expensive so that people can buy them to status signal, if they were cheap then everyone would have them and they'd lose their meaning

So what do adventurers do with their weapons if they’re not knights, wrap them up and stuff them in their packs?

>everyone in each country speaks exactly the same language and uses the same system of measurements

Attached: 1491252807873.jpg (823x744, 109K)

GoTs maymays, as well as original purpose of the thread aside, what about LotR? Or Hyboria? Or Earthsea? Or Young Kingdoms? Or, like, 19 out of 20 examples of literary/cinematic fantasy that ever aquired any acclaim?
I mean, most of those are TRADITIONALLY (keyword) considered high fantasy, BUT the pauldroncore of modern gaming inflated the powerlevels so fucking hard, that if low-high fantasy scale is treated as continuum, all of those examples land dangerously close the lower end for this classification to make sense. It is fucking ridiculous, but Earthsea novels, focusing on wizards and their affairs, feels incomparably more fucking grounded than Warhammer Fantasy, which some within the gaming millieu consider an epithome of gritty realism. Besides, the rare examples of fantasy actually deserving "high" adjective that got outside the gamenerd zone, are much different than pauldroncore, deeper and more imaginative.
Pauldroncore did even hardly EXIST before the D&D spew was transmitted to public consciousness via the vidya. Still, it is mostly contained withing gaming zone. Zone most commonly associated with neckbearded manchildren. Meanwhile, works of, say, Professor Tolkien, are/were held in high regard by such personalities as queen of Denmark, Christopher Lee, Jimmy Page, and current fucking POPE OF ROME. Can pauldronshit even compete?
Grounded fantasy is simply better because it allows for immersion and creation of touching, aesthetic stories, while gaming tier of high fantasy is just flashy kitch for tasteless plebs and feed for nechbeards masturbating over powerlevels

Attached: redgodess.png (962x800, 1.18M)

It's okay as long as they aren't using those retarded imperial units.

>mixed Berber and Syrian descent
well how else would you color in Caracalla? shit his statue looks kinda like Ice Cube

Attached: cae4a13d0fddfcc68a757043add4e421aefa17e2b71ad122fe67b5b49a46a6fe.jpg (372x554, 50K)

The Pope is a retarded commie so his opinion is pretty worthless.

you say that like nordicists are at all aware of history or geography, the whole movement is basically WE WUZ KANGZ but germanic

Attached: PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg (900x300, 105K)

except even the most primitive tribes of britain, germania, etc, wore furs and wore dyed wool and linen. sure it would have been mostly earth colours but it wasn't all brown

Attached: a4e61aec04ab46839fe032d72310b14b.jpg (638x850, 69K)

I've barely ever heard of them
Kinda sounds way less lulzy tho

>nordicists
So far I've heard that term twice in my entire life

bro what is your native language

>Purple and some blues were very expensive (sometimes more than gold).
I didn't know blue was expensive.

You leave them with A) the Gate Captain's beefeaters (probably not wise unless you are the guests of some noble) or B) the landlord of the nearest inn outside the city walls (safer than trusting the watchmen but carries a modest fee) OR C) determined to save your silver pieces, find the nearest copse/covered area and dig a deep pit, taking a full day to bury your weapons and explosives/flammables, carefully concealing the pit after a full day's work and then leaving armed henchmen to guard it while also making sure to conceal as many pistols, knives, wands and other weapons as you could conceivably stitch into a cloak or jacket before finally entering the fucking city, smug in the knowledge you could kill any random guard or merchant before they knew what the fuck.

Guess which my players do.

You should play D&D

You should play HackMaster

Gunfags should play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd edition

Autistic realismfags who want guns should play Phoenix Command for a modern day milsim, or if more Western-esque, Aces and Eights.

Nobody should play Dungeon World :^)

>sure it would have been mostly earth colours
Historical dyes can have a huge range of colours, not just earthen ones.

Cobalt blue was really bloody expensive at least, dunno if they ever used it for fabric.

Attached: 576_image004.jpg (576x302, 34K)

slav

I agree with your assessment 100%.

most guns are kinda shitty in WFRP, aren't they? been a while since I played it

>arming a legion of easily trained peasants with magic

IIRC, there was some insanely expensive dye that got used exclusively for royalty and maybe liturgical purposes in Europe during the middle ages. but I can't remember the name

Congratulations on getting this many replies. Here's your (you)

that is to say, a specific and very distinctive shade of blue was very expensive. it's not like Europeans were incapable of coloring things blue at all unless they were wealthy.

In my immersive world I constantly remind my players that everything smells like shit and piss and no one bathes

why do people think realism = noone bathed in the middle ages? they probably smelled awful by our standards but most people bathed at least once a week, or once a month if they were dirt fucking poor, just not with hot water and soap

but why? Greeks, Romans and Japanese bathed all the time since ancient days

Short version? Really depends.

Most melee weapons do 1d10 + Str bonus (average 2-3), plus eventual traits.

Most ranged non-gunpowder weapons do 1d10+2-4, But they rarely have extra traits.

Gunpowder and engineering weapons do more like 1d10+3-4 damage, plus on average longer range and more qualities, positive and negative. They're also rare-ish and very expensive, and take a bit to reload.
The best thing about them, though, is having Impact, which is like Tearing in the 40K RPGs, i.e., you roll 2d10 and choose the better damage die, which also increases your chance of a Righteous Fury/Ulric's Fury.

TL;DR: They're not necessarily strictly better or worse, just different.

>fantasy worlds must evolve technologically as the real world.

Engineering weapons were very good if I remember, but they also required special proficiencies and were prohibitively more expensive than anything that wasn't made of gromril or master crafted.