Ratfolk Thread: Peasant Uprising Edition

Fuck it, I was having too much fun in these threads.

Talk about any Ratfolk or Skaven, original or established. OC and original worldbuilding are absolutely appreciated.

Thread Suggestion: Can/Should Ratfolk have their own culture and civilization aside from 'gutter rats' or 'evil swarm'? What should said culture be like?

Attached: 1521613490327.jpg (800x1000, 200K)

Other urls found in this thread:

marsleader-aaron.deviantart.com/art/Redwall-Vermin-197490375
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are there any other ratfolk as well fleshed out as Skaven?

Even if there is Jes Goodwin and Rick Priestly really created something special. The main components of Skaven lore were there right from the start and have hardly changed at all over the last 30 years in a company known for throwing retcons around like candy or simply losing control of their bloated lore.

Attached: Skaven Farsqueaker prank calls Craftworld by accident.png (935x1542, 659K)

Tell me about it.
It's a good thing indeed when a setting produces factions that you can hold entire adventures and stories *just* dealing with internal affairs.

Yes, ratfolk should have their own culture/civilization. It should be one with a positive depiction of them; something to make them actually stand out, given the sheer abundance of thieving races and evil "verminous" races, and to better contrast the famously Stupid Chaotic Evil that is the Skaven.

Probably the closest ones are the Nezumi of Legend of the 5 Rings and the Ratfolk/Ysoki of Pathfinder. There aren't that many other ratfolk in Veeky Forums culture aside from Kamigawa's ratfolk, Scarred Lands' slitherin, and the Burmecians of Final Fantasy.

user, the skaven are endearing precisely because they are nasty, cowardly and brain-damaged. There's a reason they've been around for 30 years.

Attached: doomwheel_by_liesetiawan-db5f8b4.jpg (1024x751, 204K)

Attached: tunnel rat.png (600x763, 794K)

IF you're a Warhammer fan. If you want to play ratfolk in any other setting, nobody's ever going to let you play a skaven, for the same reason nobody's ever going to want to let you play an accurate Golarion goblin.

But what if I want to be a Noble Ratto?

Attached: 1521656759026.png (900x1440, 1.07M)

>Inb4 the way we see skaven is imperial propoganda and they live a modern existence in the under-empire what with farsqueakers, warprail subways, and McSkavens

My ratfolk have a few different cultures.
Posted them in the previous thread.
The Warren with the Nosers & Teknishins
The Nest on the frontier, etc.

Where's that picture from? It's just the right level of griminess.

There are 4 playable races in The Shadow of Yesterday:
Humans, Elves, Goblins, and Ratkin.
The book goes in great detail to describe how each of these races are and how it's their culture and society.
Ratkin are the best.

This thread reminds me that I had that ratfolk fic I wanted to write for the last thread. Need to try and give that a shot.

Furfags get out

Attached: vermintide___friendly_fire_by_a20t43c-db7mdml.png (902x624, 1.61M)

Anti-furfags get out.

This board is for Dwarves only

Attached: furfag begone.png (337x111, 8K)

Go back to the /aos/ threads.
Oh wait, they don't want you there either.

I don't know if not being wanted in the /aos/ thread is good or bad, they aren't know for having any kind of taste.

Furfags get out

Ratfolk have been in fantasy stories at least as far back as Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar stories. We have as much right to be here as dwarves and goblins do.

Goblins don't have rights

Neither do dwarves.

The only race that deserves rights is Man

Attached: 1489469856225.jpg (700x933, 127K)

Well this might have been a nice thread if Veeky Forums wasn't autistic.

The best thing about Skaven is how human they are.

Not noticing when the skaven operatives are trying to ruin threads to prevent discussion.

>25 replies in
>thread is ruined
user come on now.

its jokes user. people make jokes

marsleader-aaron.deviantart.com/art/Redwall-Vermin-197490375

What can you tell me bout these boys, user?

Who you calling human, you mouse-tailed cat-fondler?

Attached: 1521640548226.png (402x868, 876K)

Thread is quiet.
Post unique moulder and skryre creations!

This mini death wheel is cute.

Attached: 2449.jpg (800x575, 84K)

That's a doom-flayer you goob.

It's basically a mini death wheel. Anyways, it's cute. It's still a small warmachine capable of killing you, but it's cute.

I was thinking of making a Not!Skaven character with homebrew rules for a campaign in which everyone will be either neutral or evil. Got any ideas about special rules and characteristic for my rat-man?

I was thinking that he could craft potions with pretty much anything, but they'd be volatile and sometimes dangerous. For example a volatile healing potion could at best taste like shit or at worse make you vomit blood or reduce momentarily one of your characteristics.

Anons? What're some good monsters to have in a ratfolk homeland that is basically one part Mad Max Australia, and one part Mournland? So far, all I have are these:

Madcoils: Vicious half-cat, half-snakes, like somebody grafted the forehalf of a jaguar to the hindbody of an anaconda.

Screamtrees: Giant flightless owls that disguise themselves as dead trees, silently stalking prey before charging in to make the kill with bone-breaking kicks and wing buffets.

Razorbacks: Giant boars with a really bad attitude, basically straight out of that one 80s B-movie.

Scraphogs: Take a razorback, cover it in rusty metal plate, give it an appetite for the ratfolk's equivalent of gasoline, and let it breathe fire.

A giant rat with three heads

That's definitely one option, thanks.

Maybe say it's a mutated rat folk or something like that.

I've got another one: swarms of scorpion-flying beetle hybrids. They basically act like bees, protecting their hives, but, If provoked, are capable of a really venomous sting.

Toxoplasmosis Cultists

Siren-like monsters that reenact the 'pleasure button' tests

Cordyceps Fungus

Fuckhuge Spiders

You dare challenge the Rat-King?

Toxoplasmosis cultists? What would they do?
Cordyceps fungus, oh boy that would be creepy af

It's impossible to find many pictures of beast men villagers, I get that most are for character portraits and no one wants to be a baker, but they come from somewhere that presumably has a population, right? I bet rodents would be a tad easier for that though

For a bunch of mentally damaged killers, they sure have a funny looking badge.

It's a parasite that causes rats to lose their fear of cats, enjoy the smell of cat urine, and practically offer themselves up to cats to eat so the parasites can live inside their preferred enviroment, which is cats.

Jesus that's horrible.

Considering that madcoils exist these cults could be really dangerous.

>implying you can't have both the cowardly backstabbing conga of the council AND farsqueakers, warprail subways, and McSkaven's
Sure, the farsqueakers give you cancer, and the subway trains are always 5 minutes late because the conductor's been assassinated and succeeded 5 times along the way, and the meat in the Big Man-Thing is probably the manager, but it's all there

Kek

>It's a ratfolk thread

Nigga you are either obsessive or a furry to be making these threads

Attached: IMG_1189.jpg (1178x2059, 735K)

>not ignoring a thread you don't like

And it's a fucking awesome idea even outside of the scope of this thread.

Nightmarish, wriggly parasites that infest a victim, perhaps with them being conscious and the bug just piloting their bodies around, and making you force-feed yourself to an unknowably horrible eldritch entity?
Shivers.

That's nightmare fuel material right there.

You gave me an idea for an enemy: The Damned Cat of Ulthar . It's basically a gigantic eldritch feline that's worshipped by rat-folk cults infected with toxoplasmosis.

Bump

>You will never be a part of the cut-throat world of Skaven politics
>You will never be forced into business attire by your claw-leader
>you will never work on stocks and efficency reports from your station while fucking around on the warpnet

No skaven business setting makes me sad. Someones gotta be crunching the numbers for the under-empire!

>Politics
I meant business.
Don't post at 4:00 am kids, is bad for you.

What would be the equivalent of Veeky Forums on the warpnet?

Also, what wargames would the Skaven play?

I have Ratfolk in all my campaigns, I just call them Kobolds.

Attached: download (2).jpg (293x172, 5K)

war-fight hammer-bash
war-fight hammer-bash 4E-Kay

not that much different from now, just it would all be pink boards and shitposting would be seen as acceptable

Well, Kobolds nowadays are small lizard humanoids. in the old DnD editions they were rat-men though.

I can just imagine how a Skaven /pol/ack would act like in their society

Fuck all them Black Skaven! Only the White Skaven are the true Skaven, literally blessed by the gods!

>implying that the long snout merchants are better than those two

They'd be dead.

Kobolds are little fae than mine. What DnD and his retarded related settings does is very different to what they are.
And for example they are dog people in the weeb world.

They'd be even more paranoid

Whats wrong with Weebolds?

Attached: Kobold Evolved.jpg (266x189, 14K)

Calling them Kobolds is heresy.

why user? do you not like us or something?

Attached: KoboldWaifu.jpg (263x192, 9K)

Fuck fuck off dog-thing

Anybody got a cap from that thread where a chaos overseer manages a skaven paper factory?

Woof-desu!

Attached: Divinely Endowed Kobold.jpg (180x280, 13K)

Attached: 1521338801680.png (910x4746, 492K)

That's cute and funny af

Bump

atleast bump with something interesting!

Attached: DoggyStyleKobold.jpg (195x258, 13K)

Thanks. Those guys actually look much more likeable than the little do-gooders of the abbey
How does that model even work? Won't the blades get stuck in the ground when the ball rolls forward?

Don't question Skaven technology

Attached: Rat-Using-a-Computer--27272.jpg (737x1200, 141K)

The blades are attached to the central "core" it's only curved bits with the nobbly fat spikes and scythes which actually spin.

Attached: Skaven Scribe.png (1293x818, 931K)

They were never rat men, only having rat like tails which just means the tails were vaguely like a rats. And weebolds are the result of a mistranslation about doglike heads meaning they were literally dogs, instead of what it actually means and their heads being vaguely shaped like a dogs. In all instances they were covered in scales and look very much like some kind of lizard or pre mammal dinosaur thing with draconic elements.

This has been the description in literally every edition but the literal first one released. Of course various artists are fucking morons and don't know how to draw that stuff and thus we get the weird goblin thing of 2es Monstrous Compendium, and DiTerlizzis shit fucking weird gnome/rat cross. With 3e they decided to update the look to be more inline with the description, with the new editions own twist on their looks, and thus the literal lizards are born. This has annoyed every shitty grognard who didn't read the old description and just used the terrible nonkobold art used for kobolds.

This is basically the most accurate kobolds in a modern art style. Rat like tails, doglike heads, covered in scales with horns on the head, and yipping little bastards who like shinies.

Attached: DD_volos_guide_to_monsters_kobold_dragon_servitors.jpg (768x343, 186K)

These kobolds look like furry bait. Pic related is a much better take on them.

Attached: lucas-parolin-koboldfinalpost1.jpg (1400x820, 158K)

How can they be furry bait? They're too cute to be sexualized.

And that's the shit goblin cat thing based on diterlizzis shit fucking gnome/rat that literally contradicts large parts of the kobold description (rat like tail and small horns being the only thing left). Id rather go with the official art from the company instead of some random artists goblin cat design based on a shit artists design, even if it's really well rendered.

Heres a rat to make this more appropriate for the thread.

Attached: 1438395309.raikousou_rattie.png (887x900, 672K)

In fairness, kobolds in Warcraft have been ratfolk since they were introduced in Warcraft 3, so using ratfolk as kobolds is not unprecedented.

>Thick tails
>Cute, cartoonish design
>Mostly naked
>Not furry bait
You're just like the guy who claimed that his pictures of skaven punk girls were legitimate Warhammer art and not thinly veiled furry

I don't know how fleshed out the Skritt from Guild Wars are, but they are pretty adorable little fuckers.

Not evil, but opportunistic, stealing from the more developed races and living in haphazard shanty town.

Attached: Skritt.jpg (1614x1812, 133K)

>skaven punk girls
Do you have a link to those pics? Asking for a friend.

You mean Clan Pestilens?

Not the user you're asking, but...
Such a close miss requires some love.

Attached: 1521639809637.png (1558x1246, 1.05M)

You imagine the Skaven trying to run a modern corporation? The office copier would be nothing but asscopies.

You could run a campaign just dealing with a Skaven facility, like a paper/parchment facility, a munitions plant, the warp-token mint, cosmetics industry, even just the book-keeping for the great clans business dealings.
It's Skaven, so death, chaos, and magic are ever-present. I mean, this shit writes itself.

Thank you. Also, the middle one looks stoned as fuck.

Honestly, that sounds pretty forgettable, user.

Attached: 52-076.jpg (640x448, 28K)

Does Pathfinder do something with its goblins that makes them worse than usual?

The Nezumi from MTG's Kamigawa should be appealing to you then.