What are your thoughts on this line of reasoning?

What are your thoughts on this line of reasoning?

>Mechanical limbs that can readily detach should be less dexterous then one that is permanetly set in lace but in doing so you have a far greater range of options in the form of tools/interfaces/etc

>Mechanical limbs, whether detachable or set, requires some kind of external power source to be useful beyond current prosthetic options today. A character in combat would need a battery system that constantly feed their limb energy for extended and rugged use

>Any biological enhancements take their toll in the form of high choloric cost plus potentially needing specialized care such as hormone treatments and such to keep such new body functions working properly incuring a cost in livly hood and personal infrastructure.

>Any sort of muscle enhancements may as well be a full body augment

Attached: 1480315387545.jpg (635x750, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fYGARF3OoEU
youtube.com/watch?v=3YLwTJMyoB8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I want to be that cute little cyber girl

>"steampunk"
>trendy shit piercings that are in no way victorian

0/10, white people are a disease.

We have mechanical prosthetics today which while not as dextrous as a meathand compensate through extra motions, like being able to turn 360 degrees at the wrist. They're also incredibly battery efficient.

Your system only really works in a setting where technology is somehow more and less advanced than our own.

So you're okay with the idea of a world that's radically different from ours in terms of technological progress, but only if the fashions are identical to our world?

Nice flag

I like the idea of a caloric cost for biological augmentations. That seems pleasantly logical and easy to implement.

Ultimately it'll just be another money sink, like maintaining mechanical augmentations.

It's funny how anytime you see a post complaining about white people, you automatically know it's just a /pol/tard trying to start shit.

Dunno why they still bother.

I would suggest that the trade off isn’t in dex but in strength as an implanted limb would be far more stable than something simply strapped on.

True, but mechanical maintenance wouldn’t be something that you need to do multiple times a day every day

I want to marry the cute little cyber girl

Attached: 1519687496199.png (248x385, 148K)

Please be tolerant of others' culture. You see, they are coming from a terrible place.

>So you're okay with
Not him, but I am in no way okay with anything about steampunk. Piercings be damned.

Because very few people actually talk like that outside of /pol/posters’ diseased minds.

Back on target, for the forseeable future mechanical limbs are going to be less dextrous / less useful than the real thing generally, and if powered will need batteries recharged from external power (NOT from the host’s own metabolism). And no such thing as losing “essence” or whatever unless you replace the glsnds or the brain.

But for game purposes, especially steampunk, OP’s ideas could work out for both aesthetics and game balance.

Correct, which is why a single instance of mechanical maintenance is going to cost more than a days worth of food. Unless the setting has mass manufacturing or something.

>I would suggest that the trade off isn’t in dex but in strength as an implanted limb would be far more stable than something simply strapped on.
This. Imagine having your anchor come loose and having your arm painfully ripped off of your stump because you didn't turn the pain sensors off.

Attached: venture_bros_painting_by_stevenmatarazzo-d70kwhr.jpg (720x904, 592K)

The OP pic isn't indicative of any particular setting. I've been pondering how to not go to the extremes when it comes to future tech like magic and make it more "reasonable" as far as my own autism is concerned.

Basically the idea that future medicine didn't completely cure cancer it's just that most forms of cancer are readily curable which also segways that flesh bits are almost always preferrable option to a machine bit but machine bits have their points and purpose as well.

As for the choloric cost versus repair beyond some kind of lifestyle upkeep which would cost both individuals money I would imagine in game where if your characters are out for extended lengths of time their respective weakneses will come into play.

If you're a jacked up bio sculpted mercenary and you don't have enough food to keep your super body going you run the risk of starving and having other bad effects just as bad as the dude with the jacked cyber legs when his battery units are hitting the red zone cutting him off from most of his legs functions beyond walking.

Attached: space_rangers_by_sttheo-db9tkpu.jpg (1017x786, 203K)

No, I genuinely hate steampunk, and only white people seem to care about steampunk.

That's the general idea I was going for with the mechanic stuff. A prosthetic arm that is grafted to your body with all the nerve endings fused into the machine bits would have an arm that has a greater degree of control and tactile sensation and all that other jazz on top of whatever came with it. It would require surgery to replace it with something more exotic but it could be done.

The other end is the peg leg method where you have a few electrodes or whatever control interfact that attachs to a nice prosthetic leg or arm but their are far more options in regards to what you can do with them.

Attached: 1487815309184.jpg (686x1165, 189K)

That would be an acceptable trade off

>choloric
you keep using this when it's not even a word. What you're trying to use is "caloric"

Well, I suppose thank you for correcting me.

Attached: 1484530452340.jpg (1068x1600, 156K)

>Keeps waving the donkey
Just stop kid.

youtube.com/watch?v=fYGARF3OoEU

Attached: 3458798654875145.jpg (1800x1088, 618K)

Or there's option three: implant a socket that bonds to the joint and nerves, then have interchangeable limbs which anchor to this socket, because purely mechanical parts do removable joints much better.

So how would you handle the vast difference in strength between a prosthetic limb and the rest of the body? It's assumed that the prosthetic limb would be strong enough for most daily tasks but assume you had to go into combat with it. Striking with it would probably be a very bad idea especially if you had to keep it powered just to function at all

Attached: 1489081336681.jpg (1024x433, 86K)

And there I was thinking the implants increased the chance of catching TB.

>wanting to suffer through the amputation of your arm in a time period before effective anesthesia
I mean, the robot arm is Veeky Forums as fuck, but that gril has had a pretty bad time.

Attached: gui-guimaraes-wii-u-girl-animated-by-moonlightorange-d8pkq0t.gif (636x835, 2.03M)

While extremely handy I don't think I could imagine the sort of brain augmentations to allow you to control so many hands with ease

Attached: 1508444547470.jpg (1563x1032, 1.3M)

I don't believe you would need one. It's like learning to drive a car or operate any machine with at least some amount of tactile feedback. When I fly, I can "feel" the runway even though my gear are two feet in the air and I can't see through the bottom of my plane. Other pilots I've spoken to about it generally say they feel the same sensation. That kind of spatial/functional awareness extends to the whole craft. I know if one of my flaps isn't doing exactly what I've told it to, and so on. I'd imagine the same thing would occur with advanced prosthetic limbs.

Unless her hands are some kind of "Shop-by-Wire" bullshit.

They're neat conceits for a setting, not necessarily accurate for super-Hard SF but, like, that's Fine.

Could a bionic limb that's not supposed to do much more than the original was get away with being powered by the user's own body?

hell, it's the same effect for cars.

Attached: 1441830741061.jpg (1155x900, 243K)

If the picture is anything to go by, realistically limbs in that kind of setting can work any way you want them too. In Agone for example, while not a very steam punk setting, it does have various elements of the kind of "clockwork" mechanisms in the abilities of Spriggans and Dwarves, who can make clockwork automatons, so a limb wouldn't be too unbelievable, but the way they make them is very nebulous and fantastic, to the point that they could just kind of work however you feel they need to (although, if a party member looses a limb, it's far more effective to just have a shaper make them a prosthetic either as an artifact or using Shard, because it's going to work better and have a defined effect that the shaper enchants it with).

kill yourself pedshit

youtube.com/watch?v=3YLwTJMyoB8

Just leaving this here

Remove yourself from Veeky Forums, intolerant jackass. You've done enough damage here.

Why is Veeky Forums so afraid of gunpowder?

Attached: 1521680347817.jpg (900x688, 166K)

This is pretty cool, source? Image search isn't being very helpful.

Why is that boy wearing a dress?

Attached: confused banana.png (500x500, 192K)

I am down with most of this. However, I would give artificial limbs that have some sort of hotswapping/slotting system a penalty on strength rather than dexterity. My reasoning would be that the port or slot or whatever creates a structural weakness in exchange for easily unplugging and plugging in different extremities. So a mechanical arm that is grafted directly onto the residual limb's bone and purpose-built to be a prosthetic can be used to lift a fifty pound weight, but if just a plug or port or whatever is grafted onto the limb, and an artificial arm gets socketed into it, trying to pick up something weighing fifty pounds would just rip it out, possibly even damaging the socket.