/bgg/ Board Games General: Where else would you go?

Last thread
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

Who do you listen to about board games, apart from anons in /bgg/? Where else do you browse board games? Where else do you browse other things?

Attached: the literal state of tg bgg style.png (1280x1450, 1.34M)

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/forum/82/boardgamegeek/game-groups
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Which board games are a good example of several elements that may well be games in their own right going on at once? It can be either a game that has elements that FEEL separate or a game that has elements that just sort of mesh together.

Attached: 1521396874640.jpg (800x600, 104K)

Great Western Trail. It all ties together but damn.

Great Western Trail is a good answer for this one. Now, if you asked for a GOOD game that did all that, the answer might change..

He asked for a good example not a good game.

And I agree GWT isn't good, it's great. Seriously how can you think it's not good? By how I mean why.

Attached: gwkt.jpg (2048x2048, 701K)

18xx games are a combination of route building, stock manipulation, and (for lack of an understandable term) "harming yourself to harm your opponents more through the relentless destruction of capital" games.

Attached: pic3319718[1].jpg (1024x768, 154K)

How long did it take you to make that?

>Who do you listen to about board games, apart from anons in /bgg/? Where else do you browse board games? Where else do you browse other things?
Tom Vassal is growing on me. I may not agree with everything he says, but I like how he presents things clearly and doesn't try to be lolrandumb. He's got opinions (most of the time, I'm sure there are exceptions) that are at least somewhat thought out and well presented.

I still go back and watch the Starlit Citadel videos since they're all under 10 minutes and they don't try to pad their video with skits or jokes to make it more entertaining. They just talk about the game and then their experiences and thoughts on it.

I've liked Chaz from pair of dice paradise but he seems to becoming less analytical than he was in his earlier videos and more pandering to his viewers, I could be wrong though.

I also like the website board game reviews by josh because he seems to make some well thought out points in his reviews.

>How long did it take you to make that?

If I focused and didn't shitpost during, probably 20 minutes.

I spent nearly 10 trying to make a decent loop out of gif related before I stole the hand, wasted time trying to find Millenium Blades backs that didn't looks like shit before just deciding to just fucking do it myself etc.

I work pretty fast when I'm avoiding doing some actual work. Haha I also got distracted when looking for the card backs and made another new you die if you work thread starter.

Attached: bggbluff.gif (500x281, 507K)

Looking to get some feedback on the following games. If you've played any of them, please let me know what you thought of them.
>Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
>Ghost Stories
>Aeon's End
>Legends of Andor
>Raiders of the North Sea
Looking to get some coop games four a group of four. Already decided on Robinson Crusoe, but was hoping to pick up one or two more games for the long run.

Oh yeah forgot to mention that I know Raiders is not coop. It is more of a bonus question as I've heard good things about it and am curious what people think of it. My main focus is on the other games though.

don't know any of those. Aeon's End was on my list at one point.

Have you looked at Flashpoint? Even my dad who fucking loathes co-op liked it.

/bgg/ seems to be dying hard.

Anybody wanna waggle?

I just pruned all of the not owned shit out of my account. I made a wanted account for the garbage because I hate seeing shit I don't own in my games. It's hard enough to keep it up to date as it is.

Anyway rate my dong.

Attached: current waggle.png (1676x2901, 5.46M)

this is why its dying, 'waggling'
"look at me and my disposable income, can I please have some validation"
fuck off you insufferable cunt.

>/bgg/ seems to be dying hard.
Thanks for doing your part in that, you assfaggot.

I do my research, talk to people who share similar interests, and take everything with 2 grains of salt. It's very rare I regret a purchase.

Archipelago has a bunch of shit going on at once, makes it hard to explain but once everyone gets it it's really good. This too.

we had wagglers long before vitriolic cunts like you came here, and it's only since shitposters have been fucking up the threads constantly have I noticed a significant drop in good posting. Must be a coincidence though.

I haven't played any of those but I'd also like to hear some opinions on Raiders of the North Sea. It looks good, do the expansions add much? Also this guy has made like a trilogy of games that somehow tie together and is working on more, anyone try any of the others?

Attached: rotns.jpg (492x500, 52K)

Post your favorite underrated games.

Attached: FFG1126~03.jpg (801x800, 350K)

>we had wagglers long before
Yes, and they're the reason why this place died and turned into a zombie. Thanks, you cunt.

disgusting ffg design

I honestly found it quite fun, it's very different from any other board game I've played as you do not have anything but a map as reference plus newspapers to read through for clues.
I have only played two different scenarios (out of 10?) but they've been very different in how to solve each mystery.
You can play it purely to solve the mystery by going to as many locations as you'd like and ignore points or try to gain maximum points by trying to figure out the mystery on assumptions and going to a minimum amount of locations.
For a group of four I'd say it's good, perfect to play on a lazy day where you lie on a sofa and talk whack theories with your friends. It's an enjoyable game for boths autists like myself and casuals who have never touched anything but monopoly before as you're basically just trying to solve a puzzle. Oh, don't get it if you hate thinking.

Ghost Stories is one of those co-ops that doesn't feel like a truly 'co-operative' game. It feels like a solitaire puzzle that just happened to be marketed as a multi-player game. There's no reason to interact with each other besides just telling each other what to do if you're better at it than the person whose turn it is. If you group can handle that (things like Pandemic) then it's a pretty good example of the genre, I suppose (although I hate this genre, so maybe don't listen to me).

Here's a case, an optional "bonus" case, maps, and testimonies depending on where you go. Good if you like detective novels, awful otherwise.
>Ghost Stories
Do you feel lucky, punk? The game wants you dead. It's smooth, runs fast, and you're basically never more than a couple of bad top decks/rolls from losing. Good coop if you like that sort of thing.
>Andor
It's much closer to a puzzle game than you'd think. I personally don't like how this meshes with the theme at all, but if you disagree more power to you.

Vast
5 different games in one

CitOW 2nd edition + expansion for 60£ or 1st edition + expansion slightly used for 30£?
Is the expansion worth it actually?

I've been meaning to buy Consulting Detective for a while. I think I would really enjoy it

not my fault you choose to be a poor

You're still here hating on the waggle and thus bumping the thread.

works as intended

Attached: irony09.jpg (680x510, 66K)

The pieces are worse since they're plastic, but the tokens, shields, and maps are nicer (with the exception of a lack of island names).

I hate this "everything has to look like a toddler's fisher price toy" pretension that leads to games being nothing but a few hard primary colors. Nobody likes that garbage, it's objectively ugly.

Everything ffg does looks bland and has shit components. It is true that the style of some of the older games was a bit inadvertent due to poorer tech used to produce it, but it still came off vastly superior, best example being Tigris and Euphrates. FFG is lazy, shoddy and overpriced.

Judy look how little effort went into that map of japan or the player screens, they couldn't bother to paint more than one tree, digitally even.

This games looks crazy. That line systems seems neat.
I've never played a wargame(?) but now I'm intrigued, I will look into this.

Those screens are somehow worse than the original's black bars over a white background? There wasn't even any distinction between players.

I do agree that the older Tigris and Euphrates maps looked nicer, although I think their approach was just to modernize it by having it look like satellite imagery instead of something that looks like it's hung in the back of a highschool classroom.

It's the exception, not the rule.

Oh wait it's a rail game.
I thought naming your game with a date was a war thing.
Still looks neat though.

CHECK OUT THE ERRATA ON BOARDGAMEGEEK BEFORE PLAYING THE THIRD CASE.

Some of the cases have very serious errors and missing clues, I believe #3 even has an incorrect solution. There are printouts you can get on BGG that you just add in/replace the pages listed, so you won't need to be spoiled on anything.

I was really bummed about Alien Frontiers when I got it as a gift. The original wood bits are so tasteful and they went and made the settlements this plastic shit that is cheaper looking than what my kids get out of gumball machines. On top of that it really clashes with the still tasteful and quality cardboard, art and board itself.

I bought replacement wood bits but they were not as big as I thought so I've gone back to the plastishit and am trying to lay some paint on it to dress it up.

Nefarious was a disappointment too, not for the same reason, the meeples are nice earth tones which is totally unusable to the even mildly colorblind and the cardboard was so cheap it wasn't even garbage tier.

Village has really tasteful tones in their cubes, as does Century Spice Road. For all that it's cheap as shit and the artwork is spastically all over the spectrum I do like the resource cubes and overall tone of Terraforming mars. I think Great Western Trail is very tastefully done as well, without losing the importance of the player colors.

I do hate the Candyland tier bright plastic games though. I actually have to play candyland so I don't want to see that shit in my big-boy games.

My group and I loved Consulting Detective (four players). Space Alert with the expansion is a great co-op as well.

What are some actually good games of about 20-30 minutes in length to play with a regular deck of 52 cards while waiting for food at a restaurant?

Please no euchre or anything else that involves multiple decks or taking a lot of cards out of the deck before playing, because I want to carry a deck on me to also use for card tricks and fortune telling/divination.

I'm interested in answers for different player counts, or in one game that's good with different numbers of players.

52 card pickup, 2-7 players or the solo variant.

Clever.

Get a fucking Hoyle book, there are literally 100s in each book. I probably know over 20 variations of poker, we play our own heavily houseruled Oh Hell, cutthroat pinochle (3 player) is hardcore. Seriously there are literally 1000s of card games.

This has to be the most open ended and clueless question to ever be shitposted to /bgg/.

>This has to be the most open ended and clueless question to ever be shitposted to /bgg/.
I know there are an incredible number of card games. I can only assume most of them are terrible just like most games in general. I asked /bgg/ because you all tend to have reasonably well-informed opinions.

I'll follow your advice, though.

No, it's the rule. It's the equivalent of modern video games ruining the aesthetic with lens flares, chromatic aberration and other mishaps of advanced lighting techniques applied carelessly. Look how much worse Pandemic 2013 looks compared to 08; just because someone wanted neon map for some reason and deemed the old one 'too gamey'.

Attached: hahhahahaha.webm (1302x352, 2.95M)

The ones in Hoyle are pretty solid and you can usually tell by reading if you're going to like it.

Pinnocle variants take a special deck, Poker variants are the easiest "class" to learn several from. Euchre is fucking shit but midwest normies eat that shit up like it's TtR.

>Euchre is fucking shit but midwest normies eat that shit up like it's TtR.
Yeah, I lived in Indiana from the ages of about 14 to 19 and it was everywhere. I'm an anthropologist and one thing I'd like to study if I just had funding for whatever I wanted is the role that card games play in social life and how different games become popular in different places.

I grew up in Indiana and went to Purdue. At college was literally the first time I played Euchre and nobody could believe that I'd lived in Indiana and not played it, or that I didn't like it. But we played poker growing up and my parents played Pinochle all the time. The people coming to Purdue from non-midwest shitholes saw it as a cult thing and because everyone locally was so excited, they got excited and became part of the cult. I still don't understand the appeal and never played since.

I can at least understand the appeal of Catan, I mean it looks fucking awesome on the surface even now, but I do find the "well how can so many people be wrong, catan/ttr/dominion must be good games" mentality amazing.

Thank you, but my friend who owns it was luckily aware of this and we skipped straight to 4 and 5 instead.

Second edition is pretty much always preferable, it fixed a bunch of things on the physical components. First edition has a cooler box, but later printings had some or all of the fixes. It's not really possible to tell without checking the components physically. Expansion adds lots of variety, increases playercount to 5, and hard mode. I don't know what the situation is in europe, but it's pretty expensive to get in america, so you might as well pick it up on the cheap.

Glad to hear it.

For some additional fun, read up on Londinium/Roman London. It spoils nothing and I think you'll enjoy making some connections.

Is creating a board out of tiles that in turn get randomized each playthrough just a fake depth and a board game equivalent of procedural generation in vidya and what is superior to that mess?

no and double sided tiles

Is CitOW the best assymetric board game?

Skull

>spend two hours sleeving cards
>nowhere near done

Attached: 1341787447450.jpg (329x224, 21K)

What sleeves do you buy?

What do you listen to/watch while sleeving?

>OP image from my favorite anime

Truly, you are my nigga.

I bought docsmagic this time. Slightly tight for Bang, missing maybe a mm excess for Century, but otherwise they seem fine. I was just talking with friends. Otherwise I either do it in silence or listen to music.

Any randomness is fake depth. People created things like dice to destroy skill.

I feel like even thinking about it in the realm of depth sort of misses the point. Randomness adds variability and variety to a game. A good mix of random and skill makes for a very replayable and enjoyable game for a lot of people. Getting that good roll or card or tile can make everyone jump up cheering, but having a plan unfold exactly as you planned it out is also satisfying. Both things together are especially satisfying.

It is just hard to find that good balance. A game like Arkham Horror dives too deeply on the randomness. You can plan out a great strategy with your friends and account for a lot of variability, only for someone to randomly be lost in Time and Space for something no one could predict. That or you draw a Mythos Card that just completely destroys your plan. Those are never a good feeling. That being said, still winning/overcoming that situation is also very satisfying in its own way. I know with a group we've definitely had these giant sighs of relief when we won games like Arkham Horror after absolutely everything went wrong.

What about setup randomness? Surely that doesn't destroy skill, it needs more of it, because now you can't just memorise good strategies, you need to adapt to changes every time you play the game.

Speaking of music, what are your top songs for board game atmosphere (specifically thematic games)? Not promoting running noise in the background during play in general, though. I'm not a filthy savage.

So tell me user, how do you solve board positions in a deterministic way?

name a good non random game

The Simspons Monopoly

(Hive is pretty great though)

Using those tiles as part of the game. By which I mean instead of randomly placing them, the players take turns choosing where each tile goes.

Also allows you to make slightly imbalanced tiles instead of all tiles being roughly the same. This means players can build strategies out of tile placement, improving their tactical edge.

>Who do you listen to about board games, apart from anons in /bgg/?
I like Tom Vasel, I know how my tastes differ from his enough to make an educated guess about his reviews. I watch DriveThroughReviews from time to time, he's a bit awkward but I still sort of like his style. I also like Rob Oren because he's kind of a baffling weirdo anomaly.

>Where else do you browse board games?
BGG, TricTrac.
Hey guise where's all the news about GAMA ? Usually there's lots of coverage, lots of exciting news but so far the coverage's been shit and the coverage a fucking snorefest. I watched two dice tower videos and both were "uhh... we made that big box like Smash Up's big geeky box. It's pretty cool"
Seriously.

>randomly take the next tile
>choice

pick one

git gud

who said randomly picked tile? Just leave all the tiles visible and choose from all possible each time.

No, to coax people into a snafu, as people don't get probability.

For example, computers raped humans on Backgammon in the 90's, by just searching 3 moves deep, max and calculating the probabilities.

Humans can't handle probability in general, this is what makes bluff and betting games fun. Also, this is why poker players should learn probabiliry.

I've tried looking through Youtube multiple times, and I find almost all board game relegated youtubers to be insufferable and highly obnoxious people. Ultimately one of the only channels I can stand is Watch it Played. The guy is professional and to the point. Camera work is good and he actually shows the game, something a lot of these incompetent content creators absolutely refuse to do.

Unfortunately he does not actually review products, but I find that after seeing his videos I usually have a good idea of if the game actually looks interesting or not. He'a also really helpful with my friends. I find they zone out easily when I try to explain a game, but his videos are interesting enough that they are able to learn the game quick by watching him.

in addition to 18XX and Archipelago being mentioned, Titan and Duel of Ages II are another two examples off the top of my head that either have completely separate feels (Titan) or a bunch of elements that mesh together very well (Duel of Ages II)
Ghost Stories is fine for a low-complexity co-op
>coop games for 4P
Flash Point for another low-complexity co-op, Shadows of Malice (currently out-of-print) or Dungeon Degenerates for a high-complexity co-op

I saw Flash Point recommended multiple times now. I added it to my Wish List. Thanks user. It seems like a fun idea for a board game.

>ttr
Is it that bad to thoroughly enjoy TtR as long as I only play it 2-3 times per year?

>probability and risk management aren't skills
Why are there top poker players then?

I'm assuming TtR is Ticket to Ride? I can at least understand the base appeal to Ticket to Ride. It is fairly easy going and a wide range of people can play it. It is nice for a geography lesson too and the board is visually stimulating. I wouldn't say it is fun, but it isn't downright boring.

Catan on the other hand still remains the most boring board game I've ever played. There is just nothing even remotely fun or interesting about it.

>most boring
Never played Monopoly or Munchkin?

I played Monopoly as a kid, but I've never played Munchkin. To be honest I wasn't really including games like Monopoly, Sorry, Mousetrap, Candyland, etc... when talking about Catan being the most boring. Maybe "modern board game" would be a better category to be more specific. I just can't get over how dull and uninteresting Catan is.

Fellow docs magician bless you.
Truly that man has some high quality Chinese meme sleeves. About 35 games I have sleeved with his stuff.

Would you say it's worth to pay twice as much for 2nd edition? roughly 30£ v 60£ expansion included in both, but first edition doesnt have the box, just the content.
Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to tell my friend who owns the game too.

>Post your favorite underrated games.

Attached: the arrival.jpg (751x760, 332K)

Check out Starlit Citadel. They don't make review videos anymore but they do show you the game and don't waste your time trying to be obnoxious to get views

Flash Point is surprising good. And the theme makes it extremely easy to understand and teach to new players. I also recommend it

>I wouldn't say it is fun, but it isn't downright boring.
Gonna have to disagree with you

It's not bad user, you've got your opinions and that's great. I personally don't like ttr but I don't think my opinion is better than yours

I recently discovered them and indeed I like them a lot! I was sad to see they stopped making videos

How do I find people to play board games with? Friends don't make for good or reliable opponents usually if they are not interested in gaming to begin with. Are game shops actually good places?

I guess you can look around in conventions or those shops. Otherwise, there are facebook groups with people looking for exactly that.

Try your local board game shops. A lot of them now have seating areas where people can play games. Many of them, even chains, have demo games so people are free to play games there. If a place advertises that it hosts tournaments for something like Magic, then it probably also has a regular board game scene and D&D scene there too. That being said, I'm not sure playing with strangers will work out well. You could always bring the game you want to play, sit down, and maybe have a small sign on the table saying you're looking for people to play with and are willing to teach them.

Great way to hunt down the Ticket to Ride milfs. Play a round or two with them and soon they'll be begging to see your longest trail.

Convert your friends, worked for me. They were all a bunch of nerds to begin with, though.

Look on facebook or meetup for a League in your city. League nights bring in a certain type of player sure, but at least its people who genuinely love games.

And there goes next month's game budget.

Attached: c61fe36ca79d06b33a180d47c9e92840_original.jpg (680x401, 115K)

>You could always bring the game you want to play, sit down, and maybe have a small sign on the table saying you're looking for people to play with and are willing to teach them.
Holy shit, don't list to this autistic fuck.

boardgamegeek.com/forum/82/boardgamegeek/game-groups
and
Meetup.com

pic unrelated

If you know any other decent wargames featuring Ron Perlman, let me know.

>decent
>pic related

Apparently one of my meatspace friends thinks Arkham Horror is too easy unless you're running Dunwich and Innsmouth simultaneously. We did kind of snowball last game, though.

Do you recommend any of the expansions? I have the base game and it feels a little too lacking in content. Not sure if I would rather pay forty + for an expansion over just buying a better game though

Heh! I had a feeling you got the note about their new KS too. I haven't decided if I want to back it, but it is tempting.

Once you know the game it is pretty easy.

You guys play with any houserules?

Attached: $_86.jpg (1024x768, 228K)

>have one person become sheriff and then easily deal with the monsters and assist other players in trading items
>have one person farm uniques looking for the elder signs
>have the others get clue tokens and prepare to seal gates
>go for four gate seals
Does this strategy lose to anything?

Everything loses to bad RNG.

There's still a load of stuff I haven't gotten to the table for HoN, but this is a lot leaner looking than their previous ones, so I don't feel too bad about going in on it.

Ticket to Ride is a family of games, with different maps and rulesets. Some of them are significantly better than the crappy USA and Europe versions.