Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

the will of the Klaxxi is eternal edition

Discuss the lore and story of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Document compendium: Contains official (ex-canon) DnD 3.x variants and a fan made DnD 5e version! Also contains the official Warcraft Chronicles volumes 1 and 2.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

Previous thread:

Attached: Kil'rukk.jpg (387x445, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H2otwhR4HgA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do you think Blizzard is giving them both redemption arcs?

Attached: DRHn4SpUQAA2qp9.jpg (1792x2048, 393K)

What is your definition of justice in Warcraft, /wlarpgd/?

Attached: Paladins 2 Holy Boogaloo.png (938x1142, 1.42M)

Anyone else find the 'muh lowly adventurer cog in the machine' feeling they're trying to sell in this next expansion to be utterly retarded? Especially after everything they did in Legion.

Attached: maiev_shadowsong_by_kuvanalesina-dazd5mw.jpg (943x848, 58K)

Oh yeah, I know a great deal of the player base will whine like mad.
But I've been playing since the Vanilla Beta, so I get to feel properly old and cranky at all the confangled newfaggot whippersnappers who think they should be gods amonst men.

That said, I've been having a roughly Pandaria-level issue with mana and casting resources. I.e., none at fucking all. Even spamming as many spells and abilities as I can, I can't put a dent in the mana.
As a Warlock, I was really disappointed in the lack of Life Tap, but I haven't needed it once so far.
This really disappoints me. I've always felt that proper resource management was a key skill to learn, especially when doing raids and such.

No that's just you being juvenile, user. For instance any number of the allied race toons can't possibly have done Legion or much of the preceding content canonically so starting off in BfA makes sense.

>WoW does not have any cool lizard-men or insectoid racrs you can play

> but has tons of reskins for existence Tolkeinshit races

What a failure of a game.

She will never taunt you while you're trapped in a crystal prison

Attached: maiev_shadowsong___the_warden_5_by_ninivius-dadrlos.png (1600x900, 981K)

Hell no.

It's really ironic that resource management is usually a bigger deal for "martials" than "casters" in this game. Only the arcane mage ever runs out of mana and all heal specs are basically infinite casters.

The vast majority of people are going to keep playing their existing mains. It's a narrative misstep in how they treat the player character.

Wait why would Alleria need redemption? Because she says mean things about the Horde?

If you've been playing since vanilla you should feel like a god at this point.

>It's a narrative misstep in how they treat the player character.
The PC is not important and even treating them with the benefit of literary narrative consistency is actually overinflating their importance more than making them the GREATEST CHAMPION for an entire expansion.

because Blizzard liked the DK resource system so much that they gave it to every caster except mages and warlocks, but without runes, so it's literally just building and spending RP instead

Now you're just being disingenuous and full of shit.

I did in WoD and Legion.
This IS a big step back, but frankly, it's needed. The power creep has been getting out of hand.
Yes, we've walked into the maws of horrors untold, found the dark masters of the darkest corners of the world(and universe) and kicked them in the balls.
There's only so much threat escalation you can do before it feels trite.
But yes, this expansion feels like it should have come between Vanilla and Burning Crusade. You're a nobody doing nobody quests.

>waah waaah why can't everything be a contrarian turd like me Christy shift stabbing murder hobos is how all PC stories should be MUH DANK SOULS GRIMDERP

t. user

Noone should feel like a God ever, because that is blasphemy and you will go to Hell when you die. It is about time that this MMoRP video game has acknowledged that man must remain humble and will bestow this virtue on the new generation of little ones who participate in this fairy tale reality simulator.

I think placing it after wrath would have been the best point to do it. Just erase cataclysm and put battle for Azeroth in instead.

It bothers me too.

I remember the pre-legion event, at Vol'jin's funeral, Sylvanas says I better make myself useful or she'll kill me.

e̶y̶ ̶c̶u̶n̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶k̶i̶l̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶u̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶g̶o̶d̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶A̶r̶t̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶w̶e̶a̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶k̶i̶l̶l̶,̶ ̶t̶a̶l̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶f̶u̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶e̶c̶k̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶i̶r̶

Y-yes my Warchief

>(you)

Thematically, sure.
But Jaina was still for bringing the Horde and Alliance together and the players had just killed Arthas. Who, up to that point, was the biggest bad on Azeroth.

t. Scarlet Crusader

Doesn't anyone stay dead anymore?

Well I mean you would still keep the nuking of Theramore. If we're still going to revamp the starting zones at this point you could also have bfa wrecking the nelf tree as well. Introdu e Gilneas abd Stormgarde, culminate in retaking Loredareon but losing kalimdor

Varian was also still alive, so the premediated outcome of letting the Horde off the hook once their leader is defeated would've been the same. So we'd end up with yet another Faction War expansion several years down the line anyway. History refuses to change.

That seems like a pretty crappy idea, as it scraps basically everything the night elves have.

No one gives a shit about night elves

Night elves are either their own faction or an irrelevant auxiliary for professional ERP'rs. There is no middle ground.

The thing I like about feeling Godly and powerful and important in World of Warcraft is that you worked your way up to this point. There was never a meta-narrative about you being the chosen one or super special from the start the way they do with other games and MMOs. It feels like you EARNED it by the time you get to Warlords of Draenor and Legion.

if you played since vanilla yeah, the problem is that that starts falling apart if you never seriously raided or are playing an alt, and all of a sudden you're the god king of Draenor and your faction leader's right hand man

Isn't that why they've been trying to revamp the levelling experience?

>implying a level boosted alt is the same as a level 1 starting character

That's more Blizzard's fault for letting people jump in at max level instead of having to grind up there like the rest of us did.

>Anyone else find the 'muh lowly adventurer cog in the machine' feeling they're trying to sell in this next expansion to be utterly retarded?

I don't feel they're trying to do that since you're constantly brushing elbows with important NPCs.

Do you play lock?

That dialog was meant for locks only, but an early bug made everyone see it.

Her generic line was something like "Ah, valued champion. Prepare yourself, the Legion lies ahead."

Not really, no. One of the most common complaints I've seen is that people are fed up of being treated like "EPIC CHAMPIONS!!!!". That's literally the most consistent complaint I've seen and while I hate Blizzard it goes to show no matter what they do someone will complain.

Attached: spoiled[1].jpg (500x335, 118K)

Imprison me, mistress. Spit on me and call me scum, please.

To oppress the living.
To hear the cult of the damned.
To see their dragons driven to extinction.

Wait until my 4 to 24 companions are ready, then poke him until loot falls out. That's how boss fights work, generally, and that sounds like pre-fight lines.

Because she has space ultra-satan whispering in her head.

Blueberry or lightforged draenei for rp?

Attached: 67688565476545.jpg (482x767, 69K)

Exactly this. Treating the PCs as anything but a cipher to view the world through only results in the most horrendous of Mary Sues, with zero personality and impenetrable plot armour.

Besides, Warcraft is most interesting when it's about random low-tier schlubs anyway.

Attached: 8ee11154315f9d3919c3f0d7a128f01a.jpg (1061x1500, 361K)

LFD are a huge meme, so best stick with regular.

What is the point of Draenei?
Why are lightforged Eredar called Draenei when they're not even exiles, but resistance fighters?

>Why are lightforged Eredar called Draenei

Because they're Draenei.

I agree but also disagree.

I think Warcraft is at its best when you're just Gruntius the Grunt taking orders from your superiors to go kill some ghosts or whatever so they stop waking him up at night.

But the problem is it's way too far gone to be that anymore. The players are god slaying, artifact wielding, legion stopping monsters who could single-handedly defeat the entire opposing faction because random mooks are literally nothing to them, they've killed quite literally millions by now. If Anduin or Sylvanas wants our players to do anything, they should be prostrated before them, begging their assistance and worshipping them like the gods they are.

I hate the whole VANILLA SERVERS!!!/Warcraft 4 reset meme, but honestly there's nothing else that can save our characters anymore. We've long since past the point of no return.

Warcraft 4 with the current storyline would be some of the least interesting trash Blizzard could ever release. It'd be full-on Diablo 4/Starcraft 3 storyblend at this point.

youtube.com/watch?v=H2otwhR4HgA

Goddamn what the fuck was Grom on in Warcraft 2.

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 53K)

Fel.

Not even once.

Attached: fel.png (500x388, 264K)

Attribute all of your capability to beating Legion to your Artefact, which you no longer posses as of BfA, and you're back to being a grunt. Highly capable, sure, but still a grunt.
Also, you go to work with people that ain't so knowledgeable with your past achievements.

It's a bunch of contrarian nonsense from a vocal minority, much like the rest of you lot.

meant for

Attached: Dragon_Isles.jpg (768x512, 130K)

You're not a grunt. You're still the faction leader for your class and you're more like a general or high-ranking officer of special importance at this point. Not a God or a king or savior, but still a mover and pusher none the less.

But the pcs aren't actually relevant in the lore kinda? Like I know we're ''adventurers and champions'' that stop shit but even then it feels like that's just because of gameplay and our specific characters didn't actually accomplish something.

>Lf has better hairstyles and tattoos
>Can't be blue and has shit lore

Pick one

>Yeah, well you're just a contrarian! Because I say soo!
No, I'm someone that was actively involved in the community and the game from its inception until I quit in Legion. The most common complaint I've seen is people being fed up of being "THE CHOSEN ONE!"

Attached: 02f[1].jpg (655x527, 34K)

>implying forums aren't a small minority in the overall player base

> implying they aren't a containment zone for autistic 'fans'

Bellular Gaming plz go

You guys have barely gotten any 'Chosen One' style writing about your characters and even then it's really minor. Compare it to how much the player character has their dick sucked in Final Fantasy 14.

I would advise all of them to try playing some Asian MMOs and see how much worse it can be. Chinese and Korean in MMOs are especially bad about giving you hand jobs and telling you how great you are. Warcraft on the other hand you only really became important during Legion and even then it's only within your class' organization. In Warlords you were just a high-ranking officer but you still answered to all the NPCs who actually mattered.

Fuck, Yrel herself started as a nobody and ended up more important than you did by the end of the expansion.

>Lets give the Alliance Void Elves so they'll stop complaining about High Elves
>It somehow makes it even worse

Attached: 40 chuckles.png (292x257, 106K)

I think helves fans are pissed that there is never ever going to be helves because of this.

And it doens't help that velf lore is the shittiest thing ever.

' I'm the chosen one!' Your character completely disappears from cutscene

>people make fun of how lazy a reskin LFD and HM tauren were
>meanwhile Alliance players were begging for literally Blood Elves with blue eyes
you can't make this shit up

>Bringing up the forums
I've played on Al'akir, various different PVP servers but my main was on AD EU.
The characters have developed from being nameless heroes to Champions of their respective factions that wield artifacts. I'm not of any particular opinion because I stopped caring about WC's story a while ago, I'm just stating what I know from my experience.
>These other MMOs are worse though.
Well, yeah but that's not what they're complaining about is it? I understand what you're saying, I wasn't expecting so many people to pounce on me for bringing up a common complaint. I personally don't care what happens but the original point I was the most consistent complaint I've seen over the years is that particular change in the narrative.

Attached: 06a[1].png (600x407, 320K)

Attached: Mount'Kilajdan Dew.jpg (680x383, 54K)

and what, Gul'dan, must we give in return?

Attached: kilrogg4.png (999x499, 39K)

>Mag'har gets cool tattoos
>My green orc won't have em

ALLIED RACES WERE A MISTAKE

Attached: 547645678.jpg (564x729, 75K)

green orcs are cucks though they had a chance to be redeemed with Garrosh.

>Go to CesspitChampion
>People saying they should change the Blood Elf skeleton and give the old one to High Elves on Alliance

You really can't make it up

this. If more Orcs had been loyal to the true Warchief, we would not be in this mess, with elves infiltrating every level of the once glorious Horde

>tfw couldn't join up with Maim and Dal'rend in vanilla
it was shit game then and now it's an even shitter game now

>Belves doesn't fit in with the horde
>Horde should only be ugly monster races

Every time

Attached: Lady-Liadrin.jpg (780x1023, 133K)

desu they don't fit in with the horde because they're a fucking maelstrom away

Attached: bendheroveryourdickandcuminhersnatch.gif (500x200, 1019K)

>Belves fit the original theme of the Horde perfectly
>REEE ELVES
>Mfw

Attached: 1417665217623.png (428x700, 532K)

For some reason, people want the Horde to have nothing but monstrous races that are played by 20% of WoW's playerbase at best, like back in vanilla.

But it's a misinformed opinion. I'm not memeing on you when I say this but they really don't actually want that. Artifacts might have been a bit much but fancy plot weapons have always been obtainable in previous expansions. I think the only issue the community actually has with this is that you don't really get the feeling that you EARNED them the way you would with Sulferas and etc. Maybe if they had pushed it off to being an endgame thing that you obtained after a long story line the pacing on it would have been better and less controversial.

But ultimately Warcraft is always kind of made you feel unimportant, an accessory to the narrative being played out between NPCs. Always has and probably always will. The directors and writers care more about the warcraft characters than they do your experience with the narrative.

For what it's worth, I get you user. The whole Artifact and Class Hall thing is probably THE main reason I didn't return for Legion, despite the fact that I loved class quests in early WoW (and MoP, as a warlock).

Attached: wow_legion_fanservice_by_tsg_arakara-d94h1sa.png (516x411, 271K)

It doesn't make sense to have a race in Civilization like the blood elves in a faction calling itself The Horde and looking like a bunch of tribal Savages who strength and Conquest over everything else.

I would also think that after having their asses reamed by the scourge they wouldn't want anything to do with a group that even remotely resembles the undead especially not one led by a cruel unliving parody of one of their champions.

Ironically, some of the class hall campaigns are the best quest lines in legion (and the others are some of the worst, to be fair)

The class all is fine it's the artifacts that put everyone off.

At this point in the games life cycle you deserve recognition, at least within your own class organization.

Every time.

Attached: 5457667.jpg (400x346, 18K)

If burying old gods and Dragon aspects and the chief lieutenants of the burning Legion and sargeras himself in grunt bodies would have resolved the problem those antagonists presented all the conflicts in Warcraft would have ended a long time ago.

Face it, your character is a powerful hero. You may have had to form a band of Heroes to take down that thing but you're all still Heroes none the less for overcoming those conflicts.

I still believe that WoD was dropping players hard to they pulled everything in order to get people back and that's why everyone can wield Ashbringer and Doomhammer even though it fucked up the lore.

Blood elves never fit the original horde though. When they were first introduced in BC they were actual evil guys who only worked through the horde via a proxy of the undead. Then in Wrath they became Light/Magical focused and they were useful to the horde because they could diplomat with human organizations in order for them not to all unite against the horde. Now Blood Elves are like a smaller version of a chapter of Human Paladins that are in the Horde with a couple of insane wizards reagents who have a ton of war crimes on the Blood Elf population including mind control.

Here we go again...

Attached: Priest_Kath'mar[1].jpg (284x588, 44K)

>The Horde was originally a collection of races who were abandoned and scorned by Humans and "The Alliance" could band together so they no longer had to fight alone in a world that hates them
>An isolated race hated by The Alliance and standing alone has no place in the Horde!

Attached: 1427201529345.png (1000x750, 184K)

High Elves should have been a playable faction of the Alliance since classic IMO. Blood Elves should have been a villain faction that all went with Kael. Silvermoon should have all turned into crack elves.

Well, it's not like there weren't multiple players that had Gorehowl, back in TBC days.

And horde should've remained the shamanistic redeemed nature lovers and gained the night elves.

TBC should have been an "endgame" expansion. TBC instead of Legion.
Vanilla - MoP - BfA - WotLK - TBC

Yes and no, my time spent with PVPers it was mostly down to having to earn this but more importantly the rarity of an item. When you give everyone an Ashbringer it isn't the ashbringer etc, everyone else I've spoken has mostly complained that heroes have turned from D&D styled mercenaries in to faction champions. Even if they made the quest chain hard the fact is the item itself is still easily obtainable, when everyone is special no one is. I'm not of any particular mind because I'm not sure how I feel about warcraft anymore, I think prefer being a nameless mercenary and epics being hard to obtain but I also its not practical with modern MMO players.
It was that and mostly the fact it reminded me of relic weapons from ARR.

Attached: 1515130993612[1].png (636x516, 208K)

I prefer* practicing my english today

But that was only one weapon and could also be explained by Malcheese alternate realities fuckery.

They fucking killed Tirion so we could recieve the ashbringer and made Thrall emo. And what will happen to these long established weapons now that the power was sapped and their orignal wielders are dead or emo?

In fairness, Gorehowl was known for who wielded it rather than having any special powers of its own, unlike something like the Ashbringer. Although I guess the same could be said for the Doomhammer.

Attached: 1514847261572.jpg (815x1200, 183K)

At that point, might as well make the Horde unplayable. If you transfer the blood elf population numbers over to the Alliance, the Horde would make up less than a third of the player character population. Just a hint, if you're in charge of a MMORPG, faction population balance is kind of key when it comes to PvP.

Then again, I guess the sort of people who insist that the Alliance should have always had high elves and that blood elves should be a villain faction probably do wish that the Horde was never a playable faction.

why didn't Garrosh just call Kath'mar to Orgrimmar to deal with the rebels?

WoD's catastrophic, horrendous failure is what lit a spark in Blizzard to stop being fucking shitters and taking their playerbase for granted.

Say what you want about Legion, but they did really well with it. Yeah, the some of the new systems were a bit hit and miss(AHHHH LEGENDARIES), but there was tons of content, constant updates HOLY FUCK DID KARAZHAN COME OUT FAST AND IT WAS AWESOME and they just in general went all out as a big ol' apology for how terrible WoD was.