JPnP Thread

Let's talk japanese tabletop games.

Anyway, is shinobigami out yet and are there any other games being translated at the moment?

Attached: 1382813725585.jpg (1611x1611, 318K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/wuYZ8dJ
randompunk.blogspot.com/2015/03/meikyuu-kingdom-make-you-kingdom-is.html
dropbox.com/s/uhsz7avkwoeg8d4/baroque campaign.7z?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/gi50ruzq8jd5pq7/mayokin apocalypse maiden replay.7z?dl=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So, FATAL?

I wish I had someone to play Make You Kingdom with me. My usual group isn't into "anime" though (or what they think "anime" is) and I didn't manage to rope in my younger cousins, nephews and nieces into it yet.

Do you do online games?

Not really, no (aside of with friends). That's mostly a matter of time zones - the majority of things seem to happen on US time zones while I'm in Central European.

Yeah that makes things difficult.

I almost bought the main rulebook for Sword World on my last trip to Akihabara, but my kanji ain't good enough for that shit yet.

Sadly I think due swordworld being the OG SRS game and many SRS based games being mechanically lame I don't see people rushing to translate it over non-SRS games.

Sword World is not SRS. Wrong company.

Incidentally, there is a formerly complete translation of Book 1 only one Google search away.

>is shinobigami out yet
Still waiting for layout to go through.

Whose dick needs to be sucked so we can get Sword World and Sword World 2.0 in English?

What's Shinobigami?

See Shinobigami is an original Japanese tabletop role-playing game published originally by Adventure Planning Service Inc, written by Touichirou Kawashima, and lavishly illustrated by Shie Nanahara (cover, interior illustrations) and Nagomi Ochiai (interior Nittoushin/”Chibi” art pieces). It was originally published in 2009, then revised and updated for a 2014 re-release.

The game is about goals, relationship and power, in the backdrop of a modern day Japan in the midst of a secret ninja clan cold war. 3-5 competent shinobi characters aim to take control of an object of power, meanwhile they pursue unique hidden goals that may lead them to cooperate or compete with each other. Often there is an antagonist non-player character with monstrous goals that must be stopped (though even as they do so, the cooperation and competition between the shinobi continues). Forming relationships puts you at risk but also opens you up to learn more secrets and information. Everyone’s secret goal is unique and often puts the characters into conflict with some of the others, or perhaps drives them to protect or love others.

Character drama is key; and since each story/”campaign” only lasts a few hours, incredible drama and twists can spring forth through play.

The other half of the game is a light but strategic “board game” style of play, involving a grid of skills, a battle/combat system of high flying action and tactics, and secret boost items and Ultimate Ninja Techniques will help the characters push the others out of their way as they reach for their goals.

Did the Tokyo Nova English stuff ever get updated?

You know for a game that uses Poker/Tarot cards to play, It's astoundingly complex.

Have the Japanese ever even heard of rules lite narrative play?

Attached: tokyo NOVA.jpg (1078x1508, 1.41M)

Huh, I'd thought it'd be finalizing by now, l thought I haven't kept up with its development

Like Golden Sky Stories, you mean?

Or Maid since it's pretty mechanically light and there's that generator for making one

Or ryutama?

bump

>Let's talk japanese tabletop games.
I would If I knew the names of any
seriously, I didn't even know the japanese had tabletop roleplaying games. this is like a whole new world I wasn't even aware of existing.
Give me a list of games to google

Attached: 178.jpg_large.jpg (1920x1080, 306K)

迷宮キングダム (Make You Kingdom) - half collaborative world-building, half exploring dungeons
Log Horizon TTRPG - You play as MMO players stuck in an MMO. Based on the LN/anime series.
絶対隷奴 (Zettai Reido, "Absolute Slave") - Do you like futas? (Don't answer that) Then this game is for you. And also for other /d/ worthy perversions.
MAID RPG - You're maids. And you server your master (the GM). Less kinky than it sounds, but you can make it kinky if you wish, of course.
りゅうたま (Ryuutama) - Cute hexcrawl, Japanese style. With mostly non-antagonistic dragons.

Only trove I know, on Mega: #F!KA1DHRRL!MGkoDoBdnehHG7D2iXOwXQ!DAFGyArY

Maid RPG
Tenra Bansho Zero
Shinobigami
Golden Sky Stories
Ryuutama
Meikyuu Kingdom
Tokyo Nova
Card Ranker
Beginning Idol
Magicalogia
Giant Allege
Sword World
Crisis Heroine
Zettai Reido
Grancrest
Silver Rain
Colossal Hunter
Arianrhod
Metallic Guardian
Double Cross
Alshard
Itadaki Dungeon
Monotone Museum
Witch Quest
Touhou Danmaku Yuugi -flowers-
Log Horizon TTRPG
One Way Heroics TTRPG
Etrian Odyssey TTRPG

Sorry, forgot Nechronica.

There's also Nechronica, which is a surprisingly mature and mechanically solid game below all the, uh, flavor, and Tokyo Nova, which is rumored to be a really good game in action but is still untranslated.
I read moon on a decent level, and trying to read that book is like trying to read a brick. It has that same F.E.A.R tendency of having everything have edgy names with furigana, and it shifts between pretentious pseudo-formal and overly-casual language at the drop of a hat. Add in the many abstract splats, the mechanical gimmicks and the focus on storytelling, and F.E.A.R really is Japanese White Wolf.

>One Way Heroics TTRPG
Wait, how can you turn this into an RPG. It's a forced scrolling roguelike. I mean the setting and story is pretty damn interesting but still.

Successfully, considering it's up to its third book now and was picked up by Adventure Planning Service.

What are you talking about? Both are translated.
Also, Tokyo Nova is the one good RPG among FEAR's usual flood of garbage.

Ebay can be a magical place

Attached: 20180323_103528.jpg (2016x1512, 581K)

Still waiting on overkill paradise without a ridiculous price tag

Okay, what are those books about ?
Basically 1e DnD ?

GM and player books for Meikyuu and yeah kinda.

Mk is sorta if you did the stronghold rules and made a game around building it up. Mechanically it's much different from dnd and is more board game like and focuses on resource management with characters tied to your kingdom,also tonally it's self aware and has a bunch jokes and references to stuff

Anyone heard of this card game called Night Clan that is being translated?

I was considering running that with some friends. How much is untranslated? Is the core book translation actually competent? I have the draft and the cards PDF that was posted in the last thread.

If anyone's interested, I bought both Terra the Gunslinger books. I'll scan them when they get here in a few weeks. If anyone wants to translate them, drop an email and I'll see if any editors I know would want to work on it.

The mechanics are fully and very competently translated. I only had to fix the Engrish that was already part of the Japanese original.

That's good to hear. I've only read the first few pages so far. I guess I should print off the cards at work when no one's looking.

Only translated material is the game stuff fluff is not translated. Regarding quality, it's decent enough but some translations could be better but it's minor and not like something literally game breaking

I wouldn't mind scanning any of the supplementary books later on if I can find them for relatively cheap prices.

discord.gg/wuYZ8dJ

Ask here, it's got around 150~ members and people start games semi regularly.

Overkill paradise is my top rec as it's the only of 2 splat books ever done and the other book is already scanned.

The other extra materials are spread across some replays and gaming mags

Are any MYK JP scans uploaded anywhere?

Should be on the trove list if not I'll later link some raws

I heard at one point there were a few tabletop systems from Japan about becoming/being idols, but is this true?

Are any translated?

Attached: 1473021881217.gif (360x203, 612K)

Yes and no

Ah, I saw a few replays of those on nico, but I never clicked on them

Why is translation of nip stuff so uncommon? How hard is it to find a dude who reads and writes both english and japanese and pay him to translate?

They're almost half a year behind schedule. Getting pretty annoyed at this point. At least it's not as bad as the OVA Kickstarter, I guess.

You're right user, find a professional TL and ask him what his going rate is.

Translation of a niche subject matter (like RPGs) is difficult and time consuming. Especially given how much games like to just make words up or use edgy nonsense phrases.

I looked it up, it's about 20 $/hour

By the hour? The translators I talked to charge by the word instead of by time.

Damn. Looks like I'll need to work on my nip then.

Great. So are you going to pay for it? Its not that hard after all.

I'd think the publisher should foot that bill.

Why would they? They don't have enough overseas contacts to even think about that sort of distribution (not to mention they'd almost certainly take a loss on it even if they did).

Then you just answered your own question.

Now all I can think about is how the fuck does a One Way Heroics rpg work

I found it, thanks.

As a professional translator (though unfortunately not for that particular language combination), I would like to provide some perspective.

I did a quick count of the Meikyuu Kingdom draft and according to the widely accepted pricing guidelines I use for my own work, we'd be looking at something in the vicinity of €20,000. Having the original book in a machine-readable format would drop the price quite a bit, but since we're talking about JTTRPGs... well, it's not going to happen.

So the pricing *does* go by word then?

what does machine readable format mean?

It means it can be OCR'd and reduce the TL's workload, but that's also where some shittier TLs take a shortcut and just run it through a machine translator.

Formatted in such a way that you can OCR the text - have a machine scan it and read it. This requires an unusual degree of consistency and clarity in layout, usually something like a printed form.

By standard line, meaning 50 characters or 55 keystrokes. In Germany, at least. Different countries, different units for measuring text volume.
Charging by the hour is a possibility, mainly if going by character count doesn't make much sense, say if there's layout or audiovisual media involved. But even so, $20 is either extremely lowballing it or includes a lot of faffing about. For professional services, not "professional" services, we're looking at a price closer to €50/hour.

OCR is a step before machine-readable. Machine-readable basically just means a text file that you can feed into a CAT (Computer Assisted Translation) tool.

Given how these sorts of games love their charts, how troublesome would it be rendering an OCR with professional software and scanners?

Can someone link the fluff translations for Make You Kingdom? I forgot to bookmark it.

Not gonna happen.

randompunk.blogspot.com/2015/03/meikyuu-kingdom-make-you-kingdom-is.html

>I can't read Japanese but since I've got no choice, I'm translating the relevant world background information, starting with the Meikyuu Kingdom GM's book's world info section starting on page 103.
I will be using a combination of OCR (thanks to Adobe Acrobat Japanese OCR as well as i2ocr) and automatic translation (thanks to google translate, reverso, and excite.co.jp) and rephrasing the translated sentences into whatever makes sense. So not only will it be painstakingly slow, I'd probably also get the meaning wrong most of the time.

Welp, so much for that.

I don't even see OK for sale anywhere.

RIP

Shame, cuz it has some neat stuff like an alternate map, new class, extra skills, and a new monster tier or something

What about Meikyuu days which is like MK but in a contemporary setting and more about like persona type shenanigans over running your own kingdom?

I see that for sale, but I'm not really interested in it. I'm glad the 2010 edition of the Kingdom book was scanned, since that has two supplementary books included.

what?

The scan has none of the splat stuff of Baroque Campaign or Overkill paradise

I meant the Labyrinth Chronicle.

>第二版ルールブック。プレイヤー用。初版サプリメント「迷宮クロニクルシリーズ」と「げっちゅーキングダム!」の内容が盛り込まれたうえでルールとデータが再整備されている。

Cool! Is there a link to that?

I'm not sure if any of them were scanned.

I don't think I saw Baroque in the trove, can you upload that if it's scanned?

dropbox.com/s/uhsz7avkwoeg8d4/baroque campaign.7z?dl=0

dropbox.com/s/gi50ruzq8jd5pq7/mayokin apocalypse maiden replay.7z?dl=0

Going to be working with an user next month to get blade of arcana purchased and scanned. The core book, anyway.

Medieval Europe with a Japanese interpretation of Catholicism and a focus on tarot.

Thanks. Well, in the usual spirit of old RPGs, a few books go for stupid prices, but the Labyrinth Chronicle books are mostly available and cheap. I can scan those later. I'm presuming that these cards are all from the three book scans.

the cards are just from the core set from the revised edition that was translated.

So all that would be missing are:

>大殺階域(オーバーキル・パラダイス)Overkill Campaign
>迷宮キングダム 百万迷宮大百科 (World Guide)
>シティアドベンチャー (City Adventure)

And then the replays, but I'm not interested in those for now. That's not so bad.

replays have some cool shit though.

First replay has rules for marriage, doing some sort of lineage gimmick, rules for some sort of magic system, monster pcs, and hosting fairs

Yeah, they're just not all on the shop that I use, so I have to go digging through other stores. One thing at a time.

I see.

Well that replay linked is the first replay of that one campaign just in case you care

>tfw any japanese tabletop game gets labeled as anime
>tfw want to play these games because they're cool but retards just think "oh it's anime" so they make up retarded characters because "anime"

Your 150 pages of translation cost about $7000 to $25000.

After that pay the editor.

Then pay the graphic designer who might be the same guy who does the layout but might not be.

This comes after finding a publisher and/or a printer who's interested in the small print run since JRPG are a small niche in a small niche market as evidenced by gratuitous use of the racist term "nip".

If you self-publish then you've got to worry about shipping. And quality control.

Also, you've paid for the English language license and distribution rights.

Plus the lawyers fees for sorting out all the contracts.

And realistically, because of the small market, you're doing this as a passion, possibly doing the editing or translation and maybe the distribution or order fulfilment to save money. You can't quit your day job which means it takes longer, all of your non-work time for months, and the upfront money comes out of your own pocket which leads to worries about things like eating and paying the rent and keeping your family alive.

That sucks dude

Oh, it looks like Hayami Rasenjin, an mangaka I like, did the art (as well as the manga adaptation). Small world.

Tell the players before the game that "I'm not planning on running this as an anime-style game, so anime references might not fit".
Then tell them what you are aiming for, and why you think it's going to be fun.
It's basic communication. Someone who gets angry at that is not only not worth making friends with, they're also a lot rarer than Veeky Forums thinks.

>ctrl+f
>no kamigakari
shame on y'all niggas

expacs' bein' translated and everything

Attached: Kamigakari.pdf (PDF, 7.28M)

Never played it. What's it like?

It's ok.

Basically animu WoD where you scooby do shit and then merc a boss at the end.

The combat minigame like in most Japanese rpgs is the one thing with the most attention. You pick from a list of like classes who have two sub-areas and you can mix and match or just stick to one. Combat involves a grid and thus your abilities engage with it.

I like it when I played it, but others don't cuz it's pretty standard SRS game and like it doesn't do enough to be really outstanding.

So how the fuck does One Way Heroics translate into a tabletop?

Icarus a cute.

Attached: Untitled-1.jpg (1619x2338, 2.19M)

I like how elfs save for the "high" ones are all fish people.

Yeah, this amount of fish people is amusing. It's like Umihara Kawase.

We even have a semi-regular weekend thread on this very board

The publisher's site says that there were a few misprints. Do you know if the corrections are what's included in the translation? I know it's an old TL, but on the offchance that you know.