/mtgstory/ - Return to Dominaria: Episode 2

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/return-dominaria-episode-2-2018-03-22

Dread shades, skin witches and shit! Also, a lot more character development for Liliana.

Attached: shade.jpg (850x500, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Mochaqt_/status/976837337660493824
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gideon is my waifu and there's nothing you can do about it.

twitter.com/Mochaqt_/status/976837337660493824
another weeb cartoon to go with today's story. I like this one better

Attached: DY5sGSoXkAA76EW.png (868x1227, 1.12M)

literally the worst imouto

Attached: prespark lili.jpg (4961x7016, 1.12M)

>worst imouto
she's worst girl, tied with nissa.

If the Raven Man was trying to get Liliana to spark, why didn't he just subject her to regular mortal danger? Why go through the trouble of ruining her life and causing her to ruin the lives of everyone around her? It seems like a real dick move.

Because the Raven man is Urza and causing unnecessary cruelty to further his plans is exactly his M.O.

cause Black is the best color

Attached: lili dumb.jpg (700x810, 65K)

Liliana a SHIT

I want more Pirate Jace, and I hope he tells Lili to fuck off when they meet up again

>Urza
>Not Mishra

And here we see the problem with the magic stories. They want to tell the same stories as they did when they had novels, but now try to compress them into little bite-size bits. They move through the story just too quickly for my taste.

>But he nodded, his expression thoughtful. "Yes, that's our next step, obviously."
Gideon once again confirmed best boy

Attached: file.png (1200x675, 1.36M)

Raven Man is clearly Lim Dul

>Implying it isn't Gix reaching out from the blind eternities

what are you talking about? Mishra is a punk bitch who was good at being angry and manipulated. Urza's the one who fucked multiple planes over because he had to win a war, collapsed an entire plane to make a battery, showed complete disregard for at least three different confidants and personal friends over generations, enacted eugenics over an entire nation just to make fucking Gerrard Capashen, dipshit extrordinare, and killed two planeswalkers got basically an entire plane to be his own army and then said "hey fuck it, maybe I've been wrong for literally millenia" at the 11th hour.

Of course, Gideon was well aware that his defensive strategies largely consisted of throwing himself between whatever was attacking and his companions. It was still the best solution if he couldn't think of anything else.

Gideon a dummie

Attached: gideon salt.jpg (1000x1428, 927K)

he is a dummy, but a charming dummy
so him and lili are gonna fuck right?

I want this very badly.

you mean they havent been already?

Attached: Lideon.jpg (707x1000, 175K)

Gideon would never cuck his bro Jace. The answer is obviously yes, once happens.

>be Jace, finally get over Liliana
>ready dismiss and reject her the next time you see her
>planeswalk in on her and Gideon kissing
Jace, your suffering isn't over even after becoming a musclemage

>Jace walks in on Gideon-Lili smoochy time
>Jace is now musclemage pirate
>coldcocks Gideon

I'd be down for that.

that is a REALLY cute liliana

he's good

Attached: vraska.jpg (2079x2953, 1.17M)

so will we now always get two stories a week? Or is this a trick to regain their readers favour and convince them that Luhrs and Digges are truly gone for now

It's because of the spoilers, they pushed things behind. One per week now.

Its because they pushed forward their scedule because of the leak. From now on its only one a week, which is dumb because their stories allways read rushed af

This chick has some really cute drawings.

Vraska is pig ugly.

Did Ixalan turn her uggers or did we just not get a good look at her face until now? Because dear lord compared to other Ravnica gorgons she is hideously repulsive.

Attached: 7c4670a80d996a3072bcb07c569d43d2693dbdf7_hq.jpg (825x600, 82K)

go away lili

Attached: vraska by quirkilicious.jpg (700x959, 645K)

>the magic of photoshop

Behold, actual Vraska. Looks like someone made a dire mistake in their weekend pottery class.

Attached: vraska.jpg (904x1200, 193K)

So what are the odds that this set ends with somebody doing something very stupid like activating an old Phyrexian Dreadnought?

>implying

Belbe is the greatest MtG waifu, now and forever.

Attached: belbe.jpg (323x598, 99K)

I don't know anything about mtg lore after mirrodin. Is Dominaria alright?

Didn't Wizards say they were dialing back the Jacetice league? The last two bits still pretty heavily featured them.

It'll probably be Nissa again, since she's already known for waking up huge problems.

Attached: vraskas contempt.jpg (1200x675, 116K)

>Didn't Wizards say they were dialing back the Jacetice league? The last two bits still pretty heavily featured them.
It's the Gatevengers you FUCK.

Only if they have 12 power worth to sacrifice... which The Cabal likely does.

Attached: dread.jpg (312x445, 71K)

That face is a travesty. It's not even butterface, it's graniteface.

>Didn't Wizards say they were dialing back the Jacetice league?
They're dialing back their presence in the card sets, and not necessarily going to be printing enough to keep all five in standard constantly. from what we've seen none of them are appearing in dominaria aside from a planeswalker deck. They easily could have wedged liliana and gideon in at this rate.

More or less. There aren't any plane consuming/apocalyptic threats on the horizon.

>that face

I guess we know what happens when a gorgon looks in a mirror.

>not liking chiseled good looks

>Lily is the hero of the story
>Gideon as a side-kick
>Actual development for her
>Bolas is somewhere lurking
>Nissa has fucked off hopefully forever
This is the best story in forever...
And yet no kawaii Lily planeswalker. I should've fuckin' expected disappointment like this from WotC, but they've been doing so well recently.

Attached: 1518539104597.jpg (1368x836, 126K)

Or they could just Stifle it.

Attached: chandra and nissa.jpg (1599x2048, 461K)

>It'll probably be Nissa again, since she's already known for waking up huge problems.
>"Hey guys, look at this weird black shit I found on some distant plane. i had more of it, but I accidentally dropped a bunch into the swamp."

Well, you never know.

People spark for different reasons. She was pretty self-centered even back then. She'd probably just be angry and try to ger revenge in the usual "villian" way. Making her destroy possibly the only person she ever cared about and drive her to learn about what she hated the most at the time is a much harsher event, psychologically speaking.

Time Spiral was a massive fuckery where tons and tons of characters died off to stop the time rift distortions Karona's death created. All the rifts were ultimately closed but it came at the price of A LOT of people like Jeska, and the OG planeswalker spark. So far the big threat seems to be the demon using the Cabal, Belzenlok.

>compleated nissa

oh yes

Attached: 126.jpg (1499x1040, 230K)

Nothing is on nissa's level

Sorin should never have let her live, fucking hell. Now we have to put up with Wizards retconning her into an autistic pacifist lesbian.

We could have had a cool elf planeswalker. Like G/W planeswalking Fingolfin or something. But instead we got this.

Attached: smol lili.jpg (1181x1748, 245K)

We already have a cool green Planeswalker.

Bring back Garruk.

nissa's written for shit and has a meta-fictional bipolar disorder, but boiled down she's just a shitty selfish person, which is the exact same flaw as liliana.

Nissa will come back as an emissary of Emrakul.

She's gonna bring life to the planes. Eldrazi Life.

He wasn't really cool. He was a dumb brute. Also he's not even green anymore thanks to Liliana cursing him black. Now he's some mindless beast obsessed with hunting planeswalkers. Green just needs to new walker altogether. I also wouldn't mind a new red walker, but I doubt Chandra is going anywhere unfortunately.

Chandra would be a fine character if she was written like an actual 20-something instead of a fucking tween. nissa and chandra are both the victims of their authors but at least chandra didn't have a 180-degree retcon and utterly inconsistent personality. She just had her personality downgraded from emotionally volatile person to emotionally volatile caricature.

>Belbe
>Avacyn
>Gisela
>Elspeth
>Serra

Why do all the best waifus die?

more Daretti would be cool

Attached: Daretti.jpg (500x666, 124K)

And here I am wondering when he will come back. We have stories with more than 4-6 planeswalkers at one time in same plane, you would think he would be already on their trail. And in his madness, that he ends up killing some nuisances....

Yeah, but Garruk, originally, represented the savagery and ruthlessness of green. I didn`t mind him as a green-aligned antagonist.

We need a green-aligned villian similar to Norn. Someone that believes their color`s philosophyt is just better and wants to impose it over all others.

It would be interesting to see a plane like, Kaladesh, which is pretty orderly and utopic fighting an army of giant beasts and moss, destroying all their inventions.

>Gideon was in too much pain for a clever answer. Besides, she was right. He stood here wounded, barely keeping himself upright, his sural lost.

This is from episode 1, but still. Where did his sural go? He still had it when fighting Bolas back on Amonkhet. He still had it when he planeswalked away. Where the fuck did his sural go?

Attached: Gideon.jpg (900x900, 665K)

Well Chandra's just bad Jaya pretty much. Even at her best she still feels largely just that. Definitely agree she has regressed and not developed though. Nissa's definitely the worst one though. I don't think anyone will miss her if she gets replaced, though I DO kind of enjoy when she actually grows a backbone and isn't just "OH MUH PLANE". If she was consistently a hard "don't fuck with me or my crew" elf I think everyone would be a lot happier.

You keep dreaming about that, user. It's the only place that'll ever happen.

Garruk wasnt mindless anymore after the events of M15. Jace shoved the hedron hinding Ob Nixilis into Garruk to break his curse, but all it did was make him stop going wild. People seem to think this was big conspiracy to make Garruk irrelevant when it would be much easier to just ignore him if they didnt want to use him anymore like they do all the other planeswalkers. They obviously want to use him as an interplanar slasher villain, but Magic story arcs just moved at a glacial pace before Origins and theyve focused on Magic's bigger villains since then (Eldrazi and currently Bolas) so they just havent been able to use him yet.

Nicky B is using it as dental floss

This is true, but jaya was a great character. relatively shallow, but she was fun. She started out as quips on cards, became a bull-headed but capable sidekick and was just this one note that people liked.

Chandra is the story team trying to add some dimension to that with a tragic backstory making her a little lost and damaged, and kaladesh and her mom's survival giving her an emotional anchor but they just never properly delivered on the witty, capable, likeable fire mage. so she's just this emotional mess who's trying to be deep but is just an equally shallow play at the heart strings instead of a shallow delivery service for one-liners.

Yeah I definitely think we need more off color stuff. Biggest disappointment from the set so far for me is that Tetsuko is blue. Both her ancestors were prominently black aligned, which made them being heroes really cool. Even her card effect doesn't have much to do with the old Umezawa's. Which is extra weird since most of the other obvious callback cards like Darigaaz or Squee are similar to their older counterparts, in lore or in function. GRANTED Tetsuko is probably the most playable Umezawa besides Jitte but still a bit of a bummer.

Tetsukos ability is probably story related so it wasnt been explained yet. Its not like the other two Umezawas were particularly mechanically related, so i dont know what you expected. My suspicion is they plan to make an Umezawa for each of Tetsuo's colors eventually, so one day there'll probably be a red Umezawa.

So, what are the Gatewatch powerlevels?

Liliana > Gideon > Jace > Nissa > Chandra?

Damn I love Gideon. Great guy.

Attached: gids.jpg (1080x1080, 160K)

that's actually not horrible

Gideon is by far the weakest. He is just a more resilient Captain America while all the others can cast very powerful magic.

>outinvincibles you

Attached: pixel gideon.jpg (640x736, 10K)

They both involve creature destruction

To be fair, not very many could survive being Bolas' basketball.

I recall Gideon doing some huge Wrath of Gof style white manablasts back in the day. What happened to that?

Completely retconned. Never happened.

Thats a fucking reach. They dont even synergize well with each other. Umezawa cares about things dying but clearly wants you to be casting doomblades, not assassinating things with a tap ability.

For actual combat? Probably something like:
Lilana, Chandra, Jace, Gideon, Nissa

In general, without outside artifacts, it's probably more like:
Nissa, Jace, Lilana, Gideon, Chandra

Nissa is actually pretty powerful but its only for very specific things. Chandra's great for combat, but her magic is incredibly 1 dimensional

>Umezawa
Toshiro

It's really not though. They both specifically target or reward you for creature destruction.

>They dont even synergize well with each other

Of course not. Almost none of Legends' creatures are playable by today's standards; even by 1998 standards most were mediocre.

Isn't Liliana like a thousand years more experienced than all of them?

Garruk is just perfect for "core set lore" that is, what happens in the planes when they're not the focus of a set.

With them coming back, maybe we'll hear of him.

so the plot is
>i need to get my superpowers back by killing a demon
>i have a mcguffin that will let me one-shot the demon
>the demon is using my brother for a lackey and he's killing people and stuff
>i have to kill my brother but oh no i'll have to use the mcguffin
>if i use the mcguffin to kill my brother i'll be too weak to use it to kill the demon controlling him
>i'll have to find another way to kill the demon

just kill the demon. fucks sake, man. i can't do this any more.

Attached: 1481949205655.gif (204x204, 3.84M)

She's a bit over 100 years old.

I think she's 100 years older than the other members, except for Nissa who I don't believe has a revealed age. The reason Liliana is stronger than most of them is because of the chain veil.

I think the problem is that the demon WON'T come out unless she kills her brother.

He's the last one, after all. He's being more careful than the other ones.

>Isn't Liliana like a thousand years more experienced than all of them?
She wasn't alive during the Invasion.

there's also the fact that the demon is standing behind an army that her brother is leading (at least in part?) so even if they just said fuck this personal drama shit, let's go murder a demon, they'd have to slog through his army of undead and fanatics, specifically not kill their general (Josu) and then ultimately get to the demon and hope they're not too beaten and weak anyway to kill him.

Has it really only been a hundred or so years since the Mending, then?

We know RTR was exactly sixty years following the Mending, courtesy of Teysa giving her age in a story.

Walkers can’t be compleated.

Technically, they can. But they just lose their spark.

Don't forget Glissa. She's basically dead.

It was total bullshit what happened to her, by the way.

In yesterdays thread some user suggested that Bolas might be after the Weatherlight because of the story spotlight card In Bolas' Clutches. If this was true, would that be the reason he released the Eldrazi? So that they would destabalize Zendikar enough that he could collapse it to power the Weatherlight? Maybe he could use Tamiyo's iron-bound scroll about the destructioon of serra's realm? But what would he need a planeshifting ship for? He already has a portal and an army to send through it.

Attached: 168876245454.jpg (620x250, 44K)

Pretty sure the oil doesn’t even stay inside them at this point, when Karn got Venser’s spark the oil erupted out of him and couldn’t be put back in.

>not wanting nice toys

Attached: titty bolas.png (744x903, 416K)