EDH/Commander general

KABLOOIE edition

Previously: RESOURCES
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
What's your favorite boardwipe?

Attached: urza's ruinous blast.jpg (2560x1880, 1.34M)

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/bleeding-cool-2015-04-06
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

old but gold

Attached: file.png (920x668, 838K)

In order
blasphemous act
austere command
jokulahups
worldslayer

>What's your favorite boardwipe?
ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES.

... though Urza's Ruinous Blast actually looks pretty damn good. All Is Dust & Catastrophe are pretty high in my rankings too, while Wrath of God/Damnation and Toxic Deluge, though less total, are hard to beat for efficiency.

Attached: Apocalypse.jpg (312x445, 57K)

The perspective on that art is all fucked up

I'm partial to Austere Command. It's so flexible that it can hit just about anything I need to whenever I need it to. Only downsides are sorcery speed, no exile, not being able to hit literally everything at once, and the latter is hardly a downside. I actually kinda like Urza's Ruinous Blast, but not being able to hit commanders with it can really suck, especially since there's an Animar in my meta who is hard to deal with outside of boardwipes.

Is mtgA dropping today? I thought it was still in closed beta

been playing this one a lot
its grown on me

Attached: 15.jpg (312x445, 65K)

sekret frog tek

Attached: gaze of granite.jpg (223x310, 30K)

I'm not terribly concerned with perspective on this one. It's pretty cool and it invokes the sense of awe and destruction that the Cylex Blast should. Only problem I have with it is that Urza isn't being affected by it. I'd like to see the light from the explosion encroaching on his figure as he unleashes it. Imagine a totally calm Urza being consumed from behind by the light as it swallows the land. That's the kind of effect I would've liked to see, but this is pretty pleasing too.

>thread question

Raw power? Cyclonic rift
Flavor wise? All is dust. I fucking love everything about that card.

White: Cataclysm
Blue: Devastation Tide
Black: Toxic Deluge
Red: Blasphemous Act
Green: Wave of Vitriol
Colorless: Nevinyrral's Disk

Looking at the art and flavor text, why was this not UR?

the NDA is dropping, not the game.

By the way, anyone knows if the new Brawl format will be on Arena? Pretty sure it will, 'cause it'd be weird if it wasn't

Because the flavor is Izzet, but the effect has nothing Red about.

What makes Counterflux red?

its bad and fuck blue

>implying brawl won't be a 1v1 format

only big guys and tentacles allowed

Attached: blue wog.jpg (240x345, 78K)

Would you consider the standard ramp package for any deck not including G? Off the top of my head:
>Sol Ring
>Mana Vault
>Mind Stone
>Sad Robot
>All Signets in your colors
>All Talismans in your colors
>Thought Vessel if you have decent card draw
>Maybe Thran Dynamo
What else?

i like the diamond cycle its pretty much just colorless rampant growth

I'm dead certain Brawl was made because they knew they'd never be able to put Commander on mtgA

Sad robot is a meme, don't fall for it, at 4 mana it usually comes down too late, unless you plan to abuse it somehow.

>Thread question
Merciless Eviction is my first pick in general. 5-cost mass-exile on nonlands is pretty good.

This underrated good boi

Attached: 367.jpg (312x445, 70K)

Medallion in mono. Chromatic Lantern if you are in 3+ colors.

I'd say it's decent in Boros because you need ramp and card draw that badly, but faster metas or metas with green in them will definitely outpace it.

>go to wipe board
>get killed by twincasted lava axe
first kill i ever got in edh

Good catch. I forgot about Lantern. I'd go as far to say that any 3+ color deck, including those with green, should be playing it just because of how efficient it is as manafixing.

Mana Crypt where?

WE
HAVE TO GO BACK
TO TURN 1

Attached: Image.png (223x310, 140K)

Ring is priority 1.
Vault is good but situational and maybe not great on a budget (it was at 15 burgerdollars last I checked, so not terrible but not the kind of price-per-card you want to load up on). Crypt is better but hits budgetary concerns
Signets in your colors are next.
Then Talismans
Then Coldsteel Heart
If you didn't get any signets, pull your Medallion
If you're in 1 or 2 colors, pull your Diamonds.
Then you load up on 2 cost, enters untapped, taps for C rocks. Mind Stone and Thought Vessel are my favorites but Prismatic Lens is also legit, especially if you're tricolor and didn't grab diamonds.
Depending on the deck you now get Everflowing Chalice, Commander's Sphere (and other Ingots), Worn Powerstone, Thran Dynamo, Hedron Archive, Magnifying Glass, Gilded Lotus, and/or Dreamstone Hedron. Which of these depends on the overall outlay of the deck.
If you're in monocolor but finding it difficult to hit your devotion with an overwhelmingly colorless ramp base, you can consider throwing in your Ramos artifact and Mana Battery.

is a lantern unnecessary in 2 color?

when you want to scry

Attached: crypticannelid.hq.jpg (480x680, 139K)

Just add populate/token doublers

Attached: 39056_200w.jpg (200x285, 27K)

>approach of the second sun
>scry 6 to the bottom
>draw
>cast again
nice
sure its massively costed but i like it

Pretty much, yes.
In two colors you don't need that much fixing so there it's just a very late mana rock

>At 4 mana
>Comes down too late
How don't you have fixing for it, especially in green? If your biggest concern is sad robot being "too expensive", then maybe the problem is your deckbuilding.

It's main use is to fix your mana, since as a ramp it is less useful than a cluestone. So it isn't decent in most 2 color decks.

Your Kung-fu is weak against Superfriends.

>no one has mentioned Wayfarer's Bauble
Fuck you, I like it.

We're always looking at our range of options, listening, and trying to figure out what we can offer to all of you that our game is currently missing.

We offer many different formats to play competitive Constructed Magic, including Standard, Modern, and Legacy. They all include different ranges of Magic sets. If you're coming into Magic, you probably aren't starting with Legacy. You certainly could—but it makes a lot of sense to learn the ropes in something like Standard instead. These formats all encompass different periods of time, so people with varying collections have a way to play using them.

And it's not just about collections or experience either; different players simply prefer different kinds of gameplay. Legacy, for example, has all kinds of crazy mechanics and interactions, from aggro decks with the best cheap creatures ever printed to combo decks that can end the game on the first turn. Standard, on the other hand, has a small card pool—which means more different things get to shine. There are plenty of players who have been playing for years and years who prefer Standard for that reason.

Ok. That's competitive Constructed. We have plenty of different formats there.

If you look at casual Constructed, though, there isn't that same kind of variety. It's usually just "almost everything is legal, go nuts."

Commander is probably our largest casual format. Now, I love Commander. (I would sure hope so, given that I led both Commander 2017 and 2018!) And I want to assure you, Commander isn't going anywhere at all. But at the same time, it's a bit daunting to hop into. All your new cards have to compete against the weight of the past 25 years of crazy cards we've made, and there are all kinds of ridiculous combinations and abilities going on. Even if you've been playing Magic for years, maybe you just don't want to play in a format full of the many, many years of these cards.

But if you didn't want to play that way, what were you supposed to do

Some asshole always drops a Blood Moon so yes.

>weak against a nich deck style

like 95% of the meta is aggro, combo, or goodstuff.

Cue Gerritt Turner.

Most of you don't know Gerritt, but you almost certainly have read words he wrote. Gerritt is a senior brand narrative designer here, penning much of the text you see on our packaging, and even coming up with our set names!

An avid Commander player, Gerritt built a variant format for his personal playgroup as an easy-to-get-into way to play casually, and the group had a blast with it. He then brought it to Wizards and his team really started to love it. After seeing such success, he brought it to R&D.

So we tried it. . . and we loved it, too!

This really did start as a grassroots effort within Wizards: someone far outside of R&D who had discovered something fun came to us with an idea. It was something that had been missing, and people were having a lot of fun with it. So, we spent a lot of time taking his original rule set, running playtests, making tweaks, and gathering data.

Eventually, we started running playtests across Wizards, and had some of the highest turnouts ever for them among all optional company-wide playtests. People who would never even touch casual Magic were giving it a try! It was clear this format was charming people.

The idea here was to make a casual format that used a Standard card pool. This meant the focus could be on new and different kinds of decks you could build, and the format would be the right power level to allow them to thrive. It really adds a new dimension to all your Standard-legal cards!

yeah, unless he is running some superheavy color deck. Like Rakdos with cards like Phyrexian Obliterator, I imagine it being useful, since even though you have both colors, you would need specific amounts of each color every turn.

*blocks your path*

Attached: Image (13).jpg (223x310, 31K)

He's right though. You don't want to be spending 4 mana to ramp 1. Sad Robot is for ETB/LTB abuse and other than that a relic of the early days of the format when players were just learning that CA is king when you've got ~120 life to chew through, but hadn't yet worked out to just infinite if you were serious about killing the table. If I'm ramping with that kind of slot, I don't want one fucking land, I want a Dynamo or (for 1 more) a Gilded Lotus that gets me three mana starting right now.

Why 60 cards?

Standard only has so many cards in it, and part of the fun here is building around themes. For example, Dinosaurs or artifacts. It's important that you have the room to actually build around them, though; if I asked you to make a 100-card Pirate deck, you would be stretched pretty thin for enough good options. With 60 cards, you can build a much more focused deck—and the singleton nature still makes every game feel quite different while offering consistency to your plan!

How about 30 life?

We playtested a number of different life totals: 20, 30, and 40 were all considered. In the end, though, 30 created by far the best gameplay. The cushion to your normal 20 starting life was important, so that games didn't end too quickly and you had time to fool around in the early game. However, with 40 life, games ran far too long and it was hard to put pressure on players. With 30 life, more aggressive decks can actually exist without winning too fast, slow decks still have plenty of time, and games end in a reasonable amount of time. We didn't want running out of cards to be a typical factor in the game either, and 30 life helps ensure that doesn't occur.

Another question you might have is, why legendary planeswalkers as commanders?

Well, for one: it's fun!

Like normal legendary creatures, planeswalkers are major characters and often enjoyable to build around. We wanted to let them have a chance at being commanders too. We played with a bunch of them to check how they worked and really enjoyed the possibilities they created. Being able to be attacked by multiple players ensured they were kept in check, while still promising powerful things.

Stop shitting up the thread you imbecile.

I'm sure you have some initial thoughts and reactions. Some of you may be excited to go and build decks. Others might be skeptical. I really can't suggest strongly enough that you give it a go before passing judgment either way. This is something we've had tons and tons of fun with, and it's absolutely worth trying, no matter what kind of player you are!

Many, many games of Brawl have gone on already within the hall of Wizards, and I'm really excited for you all to start building and playing the format!

Dominaria was the perfect time to give this a try because of the legendary theme. Indeed, as you can start to see with Firesong and Sunspeaker, there are plenty of enticing decks to build with the myriad of legendary cards in Dominaria. . . and the rest of Standard! Just you wait and see what Dominarian goodies are in store!

With all of that said, this really is something we're trying out here, and we would absolutely love to hear your feedback. Do you like it? Dislike it? Wish there were small tweaks? All of those are on the table. For now, we would love for you to go try it out at home and at your local game store. After Dominaria, we're going to evaluate what we've heard from all of you and determine what our next steps should be and what kind of support this new format needs.

And that makes your feedback more important than ever.

So please, give the format a try and let me know what you think! There are some really sweet decks out there you can build. How quickly can you cast your Ghalta, Primal Hunger? What crazy things can you do with Rashmi, Eternities Crafter? How does a control deck with Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh at the helm work out? There are plenty of great decks and strategies to try here. Definitely go out, build decks, play, and then report back!

My favorite boardwipe is not Commander legal. I simply adore its utter absoluteness.

Attached: Worldfire.jpg (480x680, 165K)

2 color shouldn't have that much trouble with blood moon. If blood moon is extremely common in your meta, run more basics and rocks, if it is not, you won't need an overcosted rock 90% of the time.

I love when people have to play Prebirth when I have a Keiga in play. Feels good to steal their Big/Big horror.

and then oloro goes up to 3 then 5 then 7...

>why legendary planeswalkers as commanders?

Hard pass. This is going to be a PLEASE LOVE THE GATEWATCH format.

Cant be countered.

Did you not read the dude's question you absolute mistake of a person lol

Wow, such an original idea. I never tought would come with strictly standard edh variant. Not that mtggoldfish or scg have already done it. Not that even local stores have already trying this idea.

This guy is really a visionary

>Ring
Staple
>Vault
Staple
>Hedron Archive
Shit
>Dreamstone Hedron
>Mentions Dreamstone and Dynamo on equal terms unironically
>Thought Vessel
Only good in Draw decks, and even then there are better options for both its abilities
>Commander's Sphere
See above
>Gilded Lotus
Mono-color rock, and a mediocre one at that.
>Everflowing Chalice
Good, depending on use
>Worn Powerstone
I've only seen it in mono decks as a rock, and usually only the ones who NEED it.

I know red mythic space is thin, but this should be BW.

Red getting enchant removal or enemy discard, even in "wrath mode" is a pie break.

As far as I can tell, Urza and his artifacts is in the foreground and the entire rest of the image is thousands of miles in the background. I can't imagine why they'd depict Urza floating in low orbit with the Sylex Blast in the distance, but maybe it's meant to be him reforming as a Planeswalker after getting utterly obliterated.
But the Sylex and Staff of Domination being with him doesn't make sense in that case. I kinda wish they didn't include them.

Most of the watch are Mono color and so dont make very good commanders

For now.

I mean it sounds obvious on paper but Ive never heard of anyone doing it.

Pauper commander,penny dreadfuk commander even commander cube,but not Modern or Standard commander.

I do like the IDEA of making a non eternal casual format, but wonder if there were other options.

I wonder if they will make PW decks singleton now so they cam be used for Brawl?

How many years have passed in-game between the Phyrexian Invasion/Apocalypse and now?

Teferi , Ajani and that one Nissa dont seem like that much. And Nissa just quit

Coalition Relic is great

>I wonder if they will make PW decks singleton now so they cam be used for Brawl?
That was one of the first thing someone bet on when they said brawl would be 60 cards.

You're looking backwards. Look forwards.

It is forbidden but not utterly forbidden.
Red can simply get so destructive that literally everything is consumed by it.

Attached: Bearer of the Heavens.png (480x680, 832K)

The apocalypse was 300 years before the Mending. We are now several decades past the Mending, somewhere around 50~75. So 350 to 375 years or so.

>TFW you enchanted this sucker with Gift of Immortality.

Burning down the table with no survivors.

Attached: beyondstopping.jpg (1058x705, 100K)

that's what ive been thinking but kept it in since it as leftovers from an edgar deck i took apart. ill put a mindstone in or something

Fuck you Maro. Leave and never return. Around here, we LIKE Chaos Warp, you cuck.

Attached: marobane.jpg (312x445, 71K)

Nissa was green blue when she left, gideon is flirting with black atm and when jace is on ravnica he has access to white mana at no cost.

Sweet Christmas, those digits
>Fixes mana
>Draws on death
You're only playing Gilded Lotus as ramp in mono decks, and if you're willing to pay 5 for mediocre ramp that gets outclassed by Caged Sun/Power Gauntlet anyways, then why not spend 1 less mana and fix instead?
>I would rather play a mediocre 5-drop or a good 4-drop instead
>If I play either, I'm that much closer to winning!
Not really. If you're still fixing by t4-onward, you're likely behind. I've seen Thran Dynamo come down t2. Alternatively, if your colors don't include green, sad robot is a way to fix from t2. My thinking is, if you're not pulling lands you need and you've got robot in hand, it's just as good a play as any.
>inb4 some bullshit about having perfect fixing 100% of the time

>Nissa was Simic in Amonkhet
>Still did shit in all the formats
How cucked has Nissa been since she stopped being Elf Hitler?

>is a pie break
Kill everyone including yourself seems pretty red to me. It's not like "can't destroy enchantments at any costs" is part of its color pie.

The fact red needed a pie break to serbe edh purposes just highlighys why pie breaks are bad.

In eternal formats like EDH it makes certain colors (like Sultai) WAY better than other because they can DO (close to) ANYTHING.

I just wish R&D would decide not to pigeonhole colors so much. Every color can do a lot of different shit, but for some reason R&D don't want to explore different facets of the pie.

>three whole colors can do anything
They better fucking be able to, unless it's some underpowered garbage that can do jack diddly

Nissa is the cuckqueen of the gatewatch. Gideon is gunna chad his way into her waifus pussy while she cries about trees on zendikar.

People who are looking at Brawl as alt commander instead of alt Standard are idiots.
They point blank said they needed a non eternal casual format. This is for newbies to play at FNM with draft chaff and blindly cracked packs without getting assraped.

Despite how it gets hyped up, commander isnt that good a new player format BECAUSE its way more complicated has a huge card pool,lasts for hours and can really get into some nutso complexities.

A streamlined casual setup with similar concepts but a rule set NOT aimed at judges who want to faff off for hours id a good idea

What's the point of that? He would just destroy himself.

I dont think red can do that anymore.

Not one example in the entire curremt age of design

This. Brawl will not only make new players buy more packs, but will also fill in some spots in standard, even though they are going to sell competitive standard precons.

I just love how they printed hate cycles in the vein of 3W "Black creatures can't do shit" ench and 3B "White creatures can't do shit" ench, but only one of the is playable because white can remove enchantments and black cannot.

You can stack the triggers so that Gift returns before the world gets destroyed. Meaning that the sequence is

>Bearer with gift happily on the battlefield
>Sac
>Bearer comes back
>EoT
>Bearer gets gifted
>World is destroyed
>Bearer comes back thanks to Gift
>Next end step, this will happen again.

All permanents will be destroyed every turn for the rest of the game. You win because you get to untap with Bearer as it revived on your last opponent's end step.

That actually is an explicit part of red pie, like how green cant kill creatures without creatures and cant draw without lands or dudes.

Its a hard limit because its meant as a core weakness to the color and so breaking it causes issues.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/bleeding-cool-2015-04-06

Grixis has trouble actually destroying enchantments. (It can bounce them of course but still)
Any other tricolor should be able to do anything in some manner, though.

>Gideon
>Ripped standard a new one
>Gideon Tribal is a thing in Modern
>Shares the color of another flexible PW, a la Elspeth
Did they ever fugg?

>implying wotc can just create a casual format

If a format isn't organic then it can't survive. eg Canadian Highlander is not a very popular format but it grows organically and has some dedicated fans that play it. Brawl is DOA.

Then explain Supreme Verdict, which is Wrath of God with blue added.

Incorrect. Red embraces chaos, and Worldfire is literal, utter chaos. Red can deal with everything ideally, just in it's own ways.

The colors are pretty broad. Red is the thinest and they have been pushing it for a while. They gave it menace, impulse draw, "Cascading" like with Etali/Sunbirds invocstion, gave it gamble back, firmed up rummaging (I wish it could loot) and let it eat into Wheels and Polymorphs from blue. Its the thinnest color but all the rest are pretty deep.

I think it serves more of a reason as to why the color pie is retarded in the first place.

Yes. Brawl is fine. It is not a mistake. It is neutral to semi-positive in a sea of shit. It is what it is and probably shouldn't be more or less, that's why it all fits together and feels obvious. I'll toss together a deck for giggles. I love new formats.

Elspeth and Gideon never met.

Gideon and Chandra kind of had a thing.

Journey into Nyx was only 2014, user. Even then, as said, it's still something they're averse to. There's only really 3 examples (Apocalypse, Worldfire, and Bearer of the Heavens). Being more than one example (especially if those examples aren't from Planar Chaos) is still enough to say it's not absolutely unallowed.