EDH/ Commander general

discussing the color pie edition

Previously: (Cross-thread)

RESOURCES
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
what abilities do you think some colors need more access to and how should wotc go about it?

Attached: file.png (498x500, 455K)

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/bleeding-cool-2015-04-06
goblinartisans.blogspot.com/2018/03/a-taxing-argument.html?m=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I know standard's competitive but I thought that's the format that wotc always tried to push as the "casual" format onto newbies.

The color pie:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

How bleeding works and the difference betweem a bleed and a break:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/bleeding-cool-2015-04-06

What are some hate cards that hit combo and other degenerate bullshit super hard but leave more fair decks alone? I want to hate out the guy trying to tutor up his wincon on turn 3, not the guy trying to get his third color with an Evolving Wilds.

>what abilities do you think some colors need more access to and how should wotc go about it?

Red needs more stack manipulation.

Red needs more card advantage. Card advantage needs to be in all colors.

Stack manipulation also needs to be in more colors, not necessarily counters

Which in of itself was an issue (and is one reason they had a niche to fill with Brawl in the first place)

A casual format that wasnt Eternal and didnt have the whole "Show up to FNM and get assraped by decks copies from the pro tour" issue did not exist, thus they made one.

It has spell copying, and redirecting.

Those effects just dont really show up that often.

I think "Gain control of target instant or sorcery spell" could be U/R. Its basicslly a threaten style/redirect riff

A good way of stack manipulation in white would be a creature or enchantment you flash in and as it etb it exiles all spells on the stack, then when it leaves all spells can be cast by their owners for free.

I'm not sure how black would have a good one? Something like "whenever an opponent casts a noncreature spell counter that spell unless they pay X life, where X is that spells CMC".

How would that be different than redirecting?

forgive me if I'm being retarded but the wording on the brawl article seems odd
so would you only be able to play this in a selesnya deck, or also just in mono green?

Attached: file.png (312x445, 282K)

Black could have a noncreature counter that they'd have to pay life in addition to the cost.

I really wish red got more stack fuckery. But like everything else red used to have, it got moved to fuckin' blue.

White:
Enchantress, Equiptress, Vehicletress, Weenietress, "Balance" Draw
Black:
Pay life to draw, sac a perm to draw, draw then get damaged
Red:
Impulse Draw, Looting, Rummaging, Wheeling, Gambling,
Green:
Creature draw, land draw

Only any GWx deck.

that's what I thought. seems kind of weird but I suppose that restriction matters a lot less with just a standard card set

What about reordering spells on the stack?

I want to play a deck with Jhoira, Jalira and Yasova. Who should be my commander?

red needs some fucking cantrips jesus christ

white needs some card draw that isnt linked purely to weenies or enchantments and artifacts.

idk why the fuck wizards drops thematic stuff that works, like monowhite having tax based counterspells, or monowhite graveyard recursion. these are thematic and fun but only get printed once in a blue moon because for sone reason wotc has a hateboner for colors doing overlapping stuff

There's a lot less colour combos in standard too. A lot of cards won't see the light of day in brawl. Most of it is going to be goodstuff.

nothing you listed under red is card advantage.
impulse draw is absolute garbage, and costed the same as real draw in blue

If it makes a token for example. Or says "Draw N cards" or "Creatures you control" or "target card in your graveyard" Its basically redirecting most of the time which I why I considered it a fair extension of what red is already doing.

>tfw I play Zada and all red cantrips are actually "draw X where X is the number of creatures you control"

Attached: 1521754075282.jpg (488x680, 122K)

White already has countersoells, just print more. Mana Tithe and Laspe of Certainty are still in pie.

its a shame how in monor the effects are almost pointless

That makes sense. I like that for red.

Abbet of Carol Keep sure as hell wasnt costed the same as a normal draw.

Its a one mana discount basically

I don't know about white needing card draw, white already has good creatures across the mana curve and can deal with every permanent type an opponent can play, I see the fact that it rarely can draw extra cards without help from artifacts or a second color as it's weakness. Same way black's weakness is it can't combat artifacts or enchantments at all, and blue's weakness is that it has trouble permanently getting rid of a permanent once it's on the field.

I like the idea of whites "detain" or "tax" control aspects and their counters could definitely do more of that.

there was a good idea in the last thread that maybe white could draw as part of a tax effect. if your opponent does something specific and bad to you, white gets to draw.

Arena will probably never have sets pre-Ixalan. At the absolute most, they might release Kaladesh and Amonkhet in order to get Standard on there.

>Arena will probably never have sets pre-Ixalan.
dead on arrival
not that anyone expected anything different from a digital mtg game

What about more Armistice like effects?

Do you think "Each player draws a card" effects could fit into white?

Attached: 3.jpg (312x445, 63K)

>new Weatherlight is going to be some shitty underwhelming Vehicle
Mark my words

Attached: 1399158404133.jpg (560x560, 248K)

I wonder why something along these lines hasnt been made. Id like to see something like

3WW

Enchantment

During each opponent's upkeep, they may pay 1 for each creature they control. If not then you draw a card for each creature whose cost wasn't paid.

Or

2WW

Enchantment

Whenever an opponent draws a card outside of their draw step, you may pay 2. If you do, draw a card.

WW
Instant
Exile target spell, next turn its controller may cast that spell from exile.

I feel like this is possibly a cool way of white interacting with the stack of wizards wants to be autists about blue getting monopoly on counters

Yes, because white is about balance. 'Each player draws a card' is similar to wrath of god

Like Rhystic Study and Mystic Remora?

2WW

Enchantment

Whenever a creature attacks you, draw a card

anyone use deck boxes that aren't the satin tower? i'm nearly out of unique color options and also need something different for once.

Any good spice for this girl? I've seen the stuff on edhrec, but I'm talking about hidden ghost pepper techniques

Attached: Zedruu+the+Greathearted+%5BCMD%5D.jpg (223x310, 35K)

ITT: /edhg/ CYOC edition

Yeah this is the kind of stuff I wanna see in white. They're all about jailing shit away and following the law.
My favourite thing about exiling someone's commander with something like O-ring is them wondering if they'll get it back in time, it's like prison. Are you going to break out or die in your cell?

Attached: 1521756005297.jpg (488x680, 172K)

I already solved it.

Red gets cheap exile then cast spells
Blue gets the most efficient card draw
White gets to draw cards as a tax, if your opponent does mean things to you
Green gets to draw cards for doing things with creatures
Black gets to draw cards and pay life.

Red gets to copy and redirect spells
Blue gets to counter spells
White gets to add taxes to spells that must be paid or they are countered or delayed.
Green gets to give things shroud, or punish certain stack actions with creature boosting effects
Black gets to search opposing libraries and steal stack manipulating cards to then cast.

I remember someone once saying that you owned the tokens your opponents got because they are created by an effect you own so they count for the card draw. Can someone confirm?

Zada is a ton of fun, and if she can keep her creatures, she's deadly.
How many single target cantrips you got in your deck, user? I run 8 atm.

The tokens are created by your opponent and are therefore theirs. Ask your friend what the fuck he's smoking becasue I want some too.

I drew this in a pack, I was excited when I found out about zedruu because I would finally get to use it in a deck

That's how the rule used to work a long time ago. Well before Akroan Horse was printed.

You give it to an opponent and up your owned permanents by 1, then every 1/1 you make is another one to give away. The 1/1s belong to the player who created it.

White still gets counterspells, they just hardly ever print them.

Also white needs to be the worst at csrd draw because it is the best at answers.

Ivory Gargoyle/Molten Firebird makes them skip their drawstep while you get it back.
Generally play Journey to Nowhere type cards and give them the enchantment after.
I found Words of War and Words of Worship(with that other card it combos with) really useful after you start drawing more cards than you know what to deal with

last white counterspell was time spiral iirc

Is she a good commander? Is she better in the 99 of another deck?

Attached: a25-204-gisela-blade-of-goldnight.jpg (488x680, 131K)

actually there was one in gatecrash

If you want an instant, Lapse of Certainty from conflux

Attached: frontline medic.jpg (223x310, 30K)

It could be done

Attached: image.jpg (312x445, 86K)

whoops meant this for

Makes sense, but then white really needs some better mana, at least if they're going to print tons of angels at 6CMC+ that aren't game enders. Blue gets fatties in that range that pretty much win on the spot even though it has the best card draw and non-negligible ramp.

White and reed need card draw/ramp
Black and red need enchantment removal
Blue needs to die

calling that a counter is a bit of a stretch considering its sorcery speed but ok

This is true. iirc this rule was made because wotc printed Homeward Path and it was unintentionally broken with the Ravnica Hunted cycle. I might be wrong though because Brand existed before the Hunted creatures.

Attached: image.jpg (500x500, 79K)

Black needs more permanent sacrifice and red needs some more ways to do chaos warp effects.

Red already has rituals, and IMO it shouldn't have permanent ramp because red's all about impulse and not planning ahead. They could definitely make it more useful, though. Likewise for impulse draw.
>Black and red need enchantment removal.
Nah. Every color needs something it flat out can't do. The main importance of artifacts, I think, is to fill those gaps, just much less efficiently than the colors that specialize in it. On that note, artifacts should really get some more counterspells, enchantment removal, etc.

Attached: Image.jpg (223x310, 28K)

>counterspell
>sorcery speed

I get what you're saying but still that sentence is weird. And again, there's Lapse of Certainty from Conflux

>mfw I draw cyclonic rift

Attached: yesyesyesyes.png (1383x817, 1.2M)

It's pushed as an entry level format, because a considerable amount of people will show up to an FNM, learn the game (in the easiest format to learn the game in), get their ass kicked and get the desire to build a good deck to kick ass with.
Wanting to build a good deck = investing time and money into MtG, which is good for business.

Brawl is the alternative outlet for those people who get their ass kicked at FNM and instead think "man, I just wanted to throw down some cards and have fun with friends" but get intimidated by the rules complexity/card pool barrier of entry into EDH.

Attached: 1521759106951.jpg (488x680, 166K)

There are exactly two solutions to fast combo players:
>play fast combo/stax yourself, slowly pushing your group towards a cEDH arms race
or
>tell the combo player that you don't enjoy playing against his decks and want your group's meta to stay at 75%

part of counterspells working is the hidden info, if your opponent knows about it, its more preventive than an actual counter

also countering x spells is hella narrow

all I'm saying is, they should do it more than basically never

Thanks for this. I'll be sure to have it on hand the next time someone whines about Red.

They just added Amonkhet

Trinisphere and the incoming Dampening Sphere will be good.

Attached: 1521759785364.jpg (223x311, 51K)

>20 creatures out
>"o-ok then"
>mill 40
>win game anyway because I just played cyclonic rift

Attached: ok.png (1381x830, 1.22M)

I agree
goblinartisans.blogspot.com/2018/03/a-taxing-argument.html?m=1

Red cant loot right now, that was my ideal list. It can do the rest though.

If anyone wants to tell you color pie breaks/bends are ok and good, show them edh? Color balance is super importamt and giving grrem shit like Hornet Queem just fucks it over more.

>At the absolute most, they might release Kaladesh and Amonkhet in order to get Standard on there.

This dude's an idiot. Mana Leak effects are almost never played as taxes. They're more similar to "Counter target spell as long as it's controller doesn't have X untapped mana"

Battlefield Medic, on the other hand, DOES act as a tax, because they can see it coming.

>next time someone whines about red
I understand that red has then most amount of things written next to it, but to anyone who knows what they mean none of them provide good card advantage like then others do.

I do. But holy fuck color pie warpers are my pet peeve. I get bending it a bit for flavorful cards and rares/mythics (hell, I just made a Mind Control variant in Black recently), but these people want the entire color pie to change because their favorite color can't draw cards or counter spells or something else that's a deliberate weakness. I see them every now and then in /ccg/, and they get under my skin every time.

Is Brawl Scorpion God's time to shine?

>mfw managed to steal a Hellkite Charger and Atarka, World Render with my Captivating Vampire and then swing with my vampire dragon dildo on the cat player for 60
Feels so good

Attached: Tx9COY2.gif (400x300, 1.6M)

>vampire dragon dildo on the cat
I bet that's on Fur Affinity already.

"Taxing counterspells" are the wotc term for Mana Leak type spells and they are already in whites pie.

Wotc just doesnt print many of them.

no reason it cant go beyond raw mana
how about "counter target spell unless its controller taps all creatures they control" or "unless its controller chooses to allow you to draw 2 cards"

Would GW Cats with Ajani look fine for Brawl? I know there's not a lot of interest in it, but I think the LGS near me will host it. Might as well get some play out of it.

Yea, but that gets into arguments of like whether or not Browbeat is good. Letting your opponents make the final choice is generally you playing the worst choice in any given situation.

>Leave//Chance

To be fair it's different from Browbeat because if they can't pay it's not a choice.

How fun is pic related? I've wanted to get into playing Rakdos for a while but don't want to just build Rakdos himself. High CMC isn't a turnoff for me as I've played plenty of Red and Black before to know what'll help me ramp up.

Attached: 88[1].jpg (672x936, 233K)

I use this. It's sturdy, holds two double-sleeved decks, and has a nifty slot for tokens and dice. The magnets are really strong and the way it closes makes it so that it's really unlikely to fall open and spill your cards. The aesthetic is also nice.

Attached: ACXV_1_20171025974781410.jpg (1280x960, 50K)

At least resolving Kaervek in a non-retarded situation (no disk showing) will pretty much always do SOMETHING. Remember you don't need to throw the damage back in the caster's face -- Kaervek can be a political force when everyone starts casting shit to let you wreck one guy's board and/or face

would urborg be ubiquitous since it doesn’t have a mana symbol?

What does this even mean?

Not if you don't have a way to abuse you/your opponents all having Swamps, otherwise you run the risk of assisting them in fixing their colors/turning on their cabal coffers/crypt ghast

Urborg, Tomb of Yawgamoth is legal in all commander decks because it has no color identity. He's fwondering why it doesn't show up more often I think.

it’s mainly about finding a method for color fixing in case i need opponents’ mana

i was only asking if it’s colorless. i couldn’t think of a better word.

I wanna let my inner Timmy flow - Animar Morphs or Gishath Enrage?

#
Why can't they put commander on mtgA?

Speaking if mtgA, can someone explain it to me? Are they just trying to make mtgo look more like hearthstone? Is it supposed to eventually replace mtgo?

>Why can't they put commander on mtgA?
Early on in MtgA it came out that Emrakul, the Promised End was too complicated for them to put into the game. I imagine the system is incapable of handling a lot of other cards too. MtgA is a joke.
Makes me concerned for the future of Magic as well, if everything they design has to be simple enough to implement into MtgA.

My guess is that they're gonna implement kaladesh and cards forward from there, and 100 card commander can't really be carried with a card pool that small.
And yeah, mtgA is supposed to replace the godawful mess that is mtgO