I've been thinking about this comic and realized it has a wonderful potential as a serious monster from a storytelling...

I've been thinking about this comic and realized it has a wonderful potential as a serious monster from a storytelling perspective.
There aren't many things more scary for a society than its members not being afraid, especially in pre modern times. The whole hierarchy and structure was based on fear. Just imagine, suddenly peasants start getting uppity and stop paying to their lord and minor nobles to their lieges. Women throw out their abusive husbands. People stop revering gods. Nobody observes ancient traditions anymore.
It's the dissolution of society: the monster.

Attached: a5nGgOE_700b.jpg (700x548, 93K)

>people not feeling fear is the same thing as not being able to judge risk or assess good and bad choices

Have you, like, seen the comic?

eh, his interaction with the crocodile is how most PCs interactions with wildlife go down

Depends on the definition of fear one works with.

>not feeling fear is the same thing as not being able to judge risk
Isn't it, though? Fear is just the recognition of and reaction to perceived potential harm.

>Isn't it, though? Fear is just the recognition of and reaction to perceived potential harm.

No, it isn't. Good judgement is the recognition of potential harm. Fear is making the judgement of risk and then viewing the potential risk in a negative way. What some fear, others look at as an exciting opportunity. Risk taking often results in positive gains if done in ways that minimize the risks involved.

and this monster gets rid of their ability to view risks in said negative way

>when autism speaks

>Fear is making the judgement of risk and then viewing the potential risk in a negative way

I'm skeptical. "Fear" mingles with all manner of positive and negative sentiments. People do get addicted to the rush as well and its even a big part of falling in love.

He's right though, just because you no longer feel fear doesn't mean you can't recognize that if you fuck with a crocodile it might eat you.

I agree.

Attached: How to understand 4chan article.png (1370x891, 158K)

I know he is right, the issue here is his autism speaking louder than his sense of humor.

But user, YOU have autism.

>Just imagine, suddenly peasants start getting uppity and stop paying to their lord and minor nobles to their lieges. Women throw out their abusive husbands.
Then the lords kill the peasants because they're not afraid of famine and the husbands kill the wifes and rape young girls because they're not afraid of the law.
Society doesn't dissolve, it kills until the strongest fearless asshole is the only one alive, and he goes on a rampage on other kingdoms.

>it might eat you
>if you fuck with a crocodile it might eat you
So?
It's not like he's afraid of getting eaten.
As far as not weighing the pros and cons of fucking with a crocodile properly, it's kinda clear he's not that smart or educated.
He says "Is that a crocodile?" not "That's a crocodile!"
Also, he's ecstatic to see one and immediately kicks its head and tries riding it.

Did it really not occur to you that this guy is acting this way, not because he's fearless, but because he's a fearless moron?

>dissolution of society
Not all of society is fear-based.
Guys will still do shit because chicks dig it, for example.

>kills until the strongest fearless asshole is the only one alive
Not sure that's close either.
What would a fearless society look like and how might the society get there if they lost their fear over night?

I'm risking an opinion that the closest thing to it would be an anarchic society. People doing stuff because it's the right thing to do and so on.

I think that things that keep society in check now could still largely work if people no longer felt fear. You don't have to be fearful of incarceration or other methods of punishment to attempt avoid them.

People already don't live in constant fear of being thrown in jail (unless they live in some kind of shithole like north korea), but it still functions as a largely effective deterrent.

Parasites that affect the hosts behavior is a real thing. There is the one that makes mice less scared of cats

> friendly rivalry with reddit

ebin

Attached: et tu pepe.jpg (500x351, 38K)

>Someone made a "Lurking TL;DR"
>Got a bunch of entries wrong
He really should have lurked more

This is fraught with inaccuracies but
>It's happening - Something is occurring.
>It's over - Something has occurred.
made me chuckle for a nice long while

Attached: nigga.png (754x448, 30K)

Not too much autism. I thought the same thing. But I enjoyed it.

That's not even remotely relevant to the discussion.