>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
Do you guys ever bring 3rd party content to the table?

Attached: diablo_3___wizard_by_deivcalviz-d55fvkj.jpg (751x1063, 143K)

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=1BAep9VNMuN_NIC87t7ZmTOJuvnp-fZp-
drive.google.com/open?id=1irOWsssSO-xkKOHoBlp5k1EX4BW4vehC
drive.google.com/open?id=1SGRofzymhgUDZ1WmN3Gf4mtuIZXpr3dd
drive.google.com/open?id=1Oq73j6HM8XI6-Dzms2hnNZ86vNbAxmJQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>thread question
I've used/allowed other people's Homebrews, sure. Or ran non-WotC adventures. Why not

>Do you guys ever bring 3rd party content to the table?
Aside from dragon dildos? Not really.

Warlocks or Wizards?

Warlocks are more fun, don't go Hexblade though

Do you want lots of spell slots and lots of spells or less spell slots, less spells, but some breddy cool always on abilities.

Both. Warlock for two levels, then instead of Pact of the Tome, Wizard the rest of the way, and refluff the spellbook as your Tome of Shadows.

Is it a bad idea to chuck an Illithid at a low level party? So far I've got a plot hook that a dwarven brother from a respected mining clan has gone missing and I want my players to search for him, only to find that he actually enlisted in the army of a rival mining clan in order to fight off Illithid but maybe a part of 6 level two's this would be way to volatile?

>6 2nd level characters
You're looking at several PCs straight up dying.

I would if I DMd
>player homebrew content is seen as universally trash
>DM homebrew is expected and encouraged

You can always just change the stats of the monster, but given your story it doesn't make sense for them to find the Illithid that soon. Think of things to keep them busy until 5th level or so. They might fight some of the Dwarves, they face a couple of random encounters in the mines, such as Ropers, and perhaps the Illithid is working by proxy. By that time they've found out its an actual Illithid and its place of residence and then you can throw a juvenile Mind Flayer at them that's CR ~5-6

Warlocks are more fun, but only if you go Hexblade.

>players will have health in the mid-20s tops
>mind blast does 22 dmg average

>Do you guys ever bring 3rd party content to the table?

I accidentally used the preorder race feats thinking they were official. I did try and see if I could talk my gm into letting me play an Awakened Cat. He just laughed at me.

My party of 3 is level 9. I want to stat a humanoid enemy dungeon boss as the most overpowered multiclass conceivable. What should I do?

Attached: a37661da5fe41ffed39dac6d5efd0f3ab0a1ab29449b5f343fc6d54f381d2617_1.jpg (1080x1062, 128K)

>dnd group chat starts going off
>hopes it's about the next session
>only about critical role, again

Attached: fuck.jpg (96x87, 11K)

>Coffee-lock with 6 months of preparation

Paladin Sorcerer Warlock

Every turn he hits one player with a melee cantrip and smite, then quickens an eldritch blast for everybody else.

He's either going to win or lose in two rounds so he only really needs two quickens.

Yeah thought as much, maybe have them for later down the line and just leave it as a mystery or they can kill some illithid lackey's instead for now. What allies would they generally have other then Duregar's?

I second All their spells are at-wills, they're utterly sleep deprived, but they're still shrieking about the secrets of the cosmos and refusing to get some rest.

Has anybody tried something like a seafaring campaign? What are to be expected when playing one?
I'm planning to run a campaign but all I've done are the classic orcs, goblins and ogres with a little political intrigue. So I'm a little bit lost and excited in how to run it.

Any humanoid with a blank expression. After they kill them have some horrible tadpole slug crawl out of their ear.

When you are a mind rapid squid man the world is your mercenary guild.

Combine a 7th level Abjuration Wizard with a 7th level Eldritch Knight. Give him two turns in the initiative order. Otherwise he'll get fucked hard.

14d10 + 28 (Tough) + 42 (16 CON) HP.
Give him a rare magic weapon and a shield plus Warcaster.

How does it feel knowing CR is more interesting to your group than your current campaign?

>Mind fiayers possess psionic powers that enable them to control the minds of creatures such as troglodytes, grimlocks, quaggoths, and ogres.
Go read the Mind Flayer entry in the Monster Manual. It should help.

Our houserules are a 3pp rulebook at this point. The setting has shifted away from as-is in the core book in a direction informed by the house rules. In many ways we have to forewarn new players to not even start to come up with a concept until they read the primer we've come up with and talked to us about house rules. It has gotten entirely out of hand, but my players make me keep going. The worst part is I can't think of a good reason to say no; I'm having fun, too.

>Like watching Critical Role
>Hate Marisha but she's Matts wife so no way she'd ever not be a part of it

Attached: 1460089562511.png (650x600, 284K)

i'm just another player, not the dm.
it's annoying that they focus on the adventures of cr rather than trying to focus on the adventures we could make together, even in-session.

Well this doesn't necessarily mean anything. The introduction adventure (Phandelver) hits a level 3-4 party with a Young Green Dragon, which does 42 damage to anyone who fails their dex save in a 30-foot cone. Maybe a Barbarian will have that kind of max HP at that level.

The solution for the DM is to provide possibilities for the players to avoid that kind of damage. And also to, unlike my DM, realize that a recharge of 5-6 means you have to roll a 5 or 6 for it to recharge, not that you can use it 5-6 times in a row before having to recharge.

My Moon Druid player is doing like shit, everyone is mopping the floor with him. I thought moon druids were supposed to be broken, what gives?

He's barely ever using wild shape and that's about all he uses, and not effectively. What tips should I give him so I don't have to hold back on his ass?

>not that you can use it 5-6 times in a row before having to recharge
lol, amazing

>realize that a recharge of 5-6 means you have to roll a 5 or 6 for it to recharge,

I always thought recharge meant it took that many turns for it to recharge.

Do a sword bard with Shadow Blade. You get like 3-5 rounds of super high AC and damage

It's supposed to be that at the end (?maybe beginning?) you roll a d6, and on a 5 or 6 it can use the ability again.

Don't worry, at least you have a group that plays. Also why sit around talking about what you could do instead of just playing it?

My players actually beat the young green, thanks to protection from poison. Advantage and resistance to poison damage really fucks over greens. Sucks that their breath weapon is of the worst damage types out there, because greens being tactical and cunning makes them really fun to play as DM.

>Moon Druid
>barely ever using wild shape
lmao what a baddie

Moon Druid is broken because all you do is turn into beasts and have 10x more effective hp than anyone else in the party.

Oh I got knocked out of my beast form? Here's another 50 temp hp lmao. Good luck digging me out of all these layers

Also creative director at G&S, at least she isn't as bad most of the time and best boy reigns her in any more.

6 Levels of Divine Soul can get you Animate Dead, leaving 3 levels of Warlock, enough for 2 2nd level slots. Every 5 hours you recover enough points to cast Animate Dead twice. Every 24 hours you can cast it 9 times. Taking into account sustaining and leftover time, you could have 34 skeletons/zombies assisting your caster, without eating into their sorcerer spell slots.

Is Blood Hunter legit or OP donut steel class?

Shhh you can't talk about this here, we will think you're a normie

It's sort of a clusterfuck of design elements in my opinion but it's not OP. Middle of the pack really, not as good as Paladin or Wizard, better than Ranger.

>better than Ranger.

That's not saying much.

So it's balanced?

>Watch the latest episode of Adventure Zone
>That literal fucking RAILROAD in the last 10 minutes

Damn, they must not have been enjoying it

If your player is too dumb to use the resources his class gives him, it's his own fault.

Remind him to use spells and wild shape more often before you start the game. He's probably hoarding resources to not be caught unaware.

he's too afraid of risking things because he may lose them, i'll make sure to remind him to capitalize on his strengths and stop being a faggot
thanks lads

>Have more HP
>Get hit by every single attack because animal forms have shitty AC

Get Bracers of Defense and have them shapeshift into your new form

Yeah, I can understand that an anti-poison party can do well against it, but even with resistance to poison damage that's ~20 AoE damage if you fail your save. If you can save consistently it's okay but *still* pretty good AoE damage for a low level party.

But even without breath weapon or extra poison damage you've got a monster with 18AC and ~140+ HP that can fly twice as fast as any PC can run and do 3x10-15 damage per turn. Plus the adventure book says that it flies away once it's at half HP, so you kind of need to get lucky to deal ~70 damage in a single turn before it fucks off.

Attacks that are going into your wildshape hp are attacks that aren't hitting your squishier teammates.

Well, campaign ended last night and we're starting a new one next week.

My current character ideas are Boromir Battlemaster Fighter, Goblin ranged Beastmaster/Cavalier w/ Wolf companion, Tiefling Arcane Trickster/Battlemaster w/ a whip (saw someone in the thread talking about their character) or a Goliath Forge Cleric.

We rolled stats and are building our characters over the next week.

I've got 14, 18, 11, 9, 16 and 15 to go off of. Much better than my last character who had 5 WIS and 7 CHA.

What sounds most fun?

The forms last ages and you get two per short rest. Wild shape is probably the best resource is the game in terms of how much it can be used per day

>risking things because he may lose them
>worried about a thing he gets back for free every single day
>not worried about losing his life because he's too busy standing around as a d8 hp full caster with his thumb up his ass

Get his shit together or change his character to a champion fighter.

Warlock for consistency. Wizard for versatility.

Those stats are fixed or you can shuffle them around?

They can be shuffled around.

I like Boromir by design, but the fact that you can basically make a Goblin Worg Rider is pretty sick

Goblin, provided you mean the revised ranger beast conclave. You don't even necessarily need Cavalier to make that good, you can just pick up some of the mounted combat feats.

With the Goblin, I'd primarily use a Hand Crossbow w/ CBE for maximum attacks while the Wolf uses its movement to keep me at a distance. Cavalier is just to 3rd for Born to the Saddle and the extra proficiency. Also, Second Wind, Action Surge and another Fighting Style.

And we're using our own revised ranger. All rangers get a CR0 animal companion (which would be a raven if I picked him) at 1st and the Beastmaster gets a CR1/2 as well at 3rd that acts on its own initiative according to its last order. Other than that, it's practically the same.

>Recharge X-Y. The notation "Recharge X- Y" means a monster can use a special ability once and that the ability then has a random chance of recharging during each subsequent round of combat. At the start of each of the monster's turns, roll a d6. If the roll is one of the numbers in the recharge notation, the monster regains the use of the special ability. The ability also recharges when the monster finishes a short or long rest.

Attached: readthefuckingbook.gif (448x442, 4.35M)

So in a few weeks I’m gonna be running LMOP for a group of my family and friends, either 4 or 5 players. All but one are complete newbies (who play a lot of board games but still) and I wanna make sure they have a good time, so are any modifications to LMOP recommended? I’ve heard that offering more options to spend gold and slightly nerfing the first goblin ambush are common.

Attached: A54E088C-7648-44CF-89C6-BB0A01142DB0.png (596x658, 45K)

If you wanna do that build even cheesier you go Kobold and use melee weapons. You get advantage because your wolf is adjacent, your wolf gets advantage because you are adjacent, so much stabbing.

Hand crossbow at range. Up close, short sword and shield or spear and shield. All the advantage. I'm tempted to take a couple levels of rogue for some sweet sneak attack damage and Expertise as well. But that might be a bit much.

Don't fucking reaction gif me. It's not in the PHB and as a player there's never been a reason for me to look it up.

I ran a pirate campaign, but above all you'll probably want to set out exactly what sort of tone you want: are you aiming for One Piece, Pirates of the Caribbean, Black Sails, or something else?

Beyond that, honestly just research. You'll be lucky in that the ship and "part of the crew" mentality means the players have an easy reason to start together and potentially stick together. But given the nature of "sail around doing shit" you need to be careful not to make it too sandboxy, and give the players clear plot threads to follow so they don't feel lost.

5e characters tend to be mechanically very bland and i feel the need to introduce new shit to make do, but i require your help!

Don't change a thing. If they can't be smart enough to win a starter campaign they aren't ever going to be

>5e characters tend to be mechanically very bland
Care to explain?

You did pick a martial, right? You're not playing one of those limp-wristed wizards who need a meatshield to not die when the wind blows, right?

Attached: swordgirl.jpg (397x609, 113K)

Oath of Inquistion
drive.google.com/open?id=1BAep9VNMuN_NIC87t7ZmTOJuvnp-fZp-

Elemental Fist
drive.google.com/open?id=1irOWsssSO-xkKOHoBlp5k1EX4BW4vehC

Spellbreaker
drive.google.com/open?id=1SGRofzymhgUDZ1WmN3Gf4mtuIZXpr3dd

Loremaster
drive.google.com/open?id=1Oq73j6HM8XI6-Dzms2hnNZ86vNbAxmJQ

Enjoy.

I'm playing a support Bard so that my party's Barbarian can wreck shit even harder than he normally does. Faerie Fire is the best spell.

>Implying wizards can't be martials

Attached: 1520097538372.jpg (1200x675, 384K)

>limiting yourself to being martial or magic
All the good 5e characters can do both, user. It's just sensible to learn to use all the tools available to you in the event that one is more effective than the others in a given scenario.

Why is Ranger bad? Newfag here and it looked interesting

I'm playing Life Cleric and dipped into Fighter because my party has no martials. I'm kind of regretting the decision

Attached: who dares approach me.jpg (900x1200, 109K)

Here's my secret stash for when l need to spice things up.

White male human fighter

Attached: 5157670+_e7fe6ff962df3b529407eb2a53446c5b.jpg (534x486, 38K)

>Magic has tons of different effects
>Martials are "UNGA HIT THING UNGA DO DAMAGE"

Not enough options to go off between and inside classes, classes are either focused on a single thing forever or can do many things at once but not that good. A lot of classes and subclasses feel samey at best or I find a terrible imbalance where one path is objectively better than the other one at worst.

5e has very clear design goals and a very flexible and good model for character design, but the actual options given are extremely lackluster.

All of this in mechanical terms, of course.

Thanks lad

Alright /5eg/, how would you make it so that Martials have more utility in and out of combat without using magic?

Yea you don goofed. Not sure what you were hoping to achieve that you couldn't as a straight life cleric. Heavy armor, cast spirit weapon, cast spirit guardians, and then cast dodge every turn until everything is dead around you.

>don't die in 1 hit like squishy magic users
Sure is great picking a martial huh

Pick up Beyond Damage Dice

Shield mastery or War caster for anticaster warlock?

Kind of like a Jack of all trades. He ain't bad though, he's just extremely good at some stuff that's not usually played on tables like "not dying due to the environement". Vanilla Ranger aint bad neither, but one of its subclasses (beastmaster) is very subpar to the other classes, specially to the other pet class (pact of the chain warlock)

Extra proficncies, stop being so bound to raw and let players come up with interesting solutions within reason, gas all "muh everday Joe schmo" players who reee at any buffs to martials.

I've been trying to figure out how to build a Cast-Off Armor Monk based around pic related's explanation of what a Monk can still do in armor and secretly loving the idea/trope of dropping full plate (+shield) and being able to go way faster. I've figured I should probably use something like a Wood Elf for the obvious speed boost and stat bonuses, but the recognizable problems I've noticed are:
>1. If I ever want to try "fooling" anyone as a Full Plate STR Fighter (I've figured starting level Fighter is the easiest way to nab heavy armor proficiency) I would need to not only invest in DEX and WIS but at least 15 STR to even wear the stuff.
>2. Weapons generally don't go past 1d8 without needing two hands (so no shield), with the DEX side only having the Heavy Crossbow reaching 1d10.
Simply put, how much better is an occasional extra damage from using something like a 2d6 two-handed Maul compared to an extra 2 AC from carrying a shield, and should I even bother using STR weapons if AC is better?
5e Ranger here, it's "bad" because most of the class features either don't get used in-combat, are used earlier and better by classes like Druid, Fighter, and Rogue (Half-caster, only one extra attack, Evasion or Uncanny Dodge at 15th level, hmm...), or don't get used at all because a particular DM doesn't feel that scavenging for food or getting lost in the wilderness is an issue when there are rations, maps, and roadways. Also the core Beastmaster is much more a "Pokemon trainer" where either they or the animal gets to attack, than a "animal partner skirmisher" where they fight in tandem, which sits poorly with some people.

Attached: 1510800776100.png (1235x818, 887K)

Attached: Beyond Damage Dice.pdf (PDF, 3.65M)

Give them a higher skill or three, or tool proficiencies. Give them more options in terms of attack, damage and defense so they can benefit more from positioning and actions outside of just attacking. Give proper support to things like sunder, disarm, shield usage, polearms, mobility.

These aren't really hard to implement. Basically make Battlemaster baseline abilities for the fighter and expand upon them. Let them concentrate in one fighting style and give them proper options within them so they can feel genuinely different from one another.

>playing hardcore, realistic, survival-oriented game
>Ranger becomes brokenly OP

Pre-UA, the ranger is less so much bad as it is unfocused and underwhelming. It is certainly usable, but loses a lot of power if you ever drop out of your chosen environments or fight something other than your chosen foes. The beastmaster archetype, however, drains your action economy when the only perk it gives you is to improve that economy with a squishy, easily murdered sidekick. It shoots itself in the foot, which is the main downside.

He's a 3.5 dropout who thinks that anything less than 1443982 classes is "not enough options" and he can't fathom anything that's not on his character sheet so it has to be overloaded with feature bloat.

Why play D&D at that point?

looking pretty good

>Ranger becomes completely obsolete when someone grabs the Outlander background and Goodberry
Fixed that for you

>play game focused on one area of adventuring
>the character who specializes in it does well
Are you surprised? Was anyone surprised? You make a dungeon full of traps, beefy-but-simple monsters, dark spots and secrets and the rogue will shine. You throw a bunch of heavy hitters with magic immunity and zones where magic is weakened or unpredictable into the game and the fightmans shine. You unban wizard and he becomes OP. This is just how things go.

I hate 3.5 and feature bloat. Try harder.

>favored enemy does mostly nothing
>natural explorer does mostly nothing
>primeval awareness is shitty and costs you spell slots
>you only get a few spells off of a weak spell list
>the level 8 and 10 features are also pretty bad
>beast master in doesn’t work at all, your animal companion doesn’t get its own action for attacking(!)
Find the Revised Ranger UA, it fixes a lot of these issues, and sensible GMs will let you use it.
I for one made my own houserules for the ranger though, taking a lot from the previously mentioned UA and tweeked it a bit.

anybody know if there's a crack for any good dungeon/battlemap making software?

I don't agree but I can understand where you're coming from and why you feel that way.

Chargen question:
I have a 17 STR post-racial on my Half-Orc Barbarian. (Rolled for stats and my best roll was 15.)
Our GM allows us 1 free feat at chargen.
Should I take Orcish Fury or Athlete to get my STR to 18?
Or should I get Great Weapon Master anyway?
This will be a classic Bear Totem greataxe Barbarian.