/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

>This is High Elven architecture
Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
[TES 5E Conversion] uestrpg.wixsite.com/home
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos except for Crystal-Like-Law.

Previous kalpa:

Attached: a2b6c963cc6e4c2f951188a16f59294b.jpg (1920x1080, 484K)

Ah yes, look at these glass-like structures, never ending towers and impossible ramps!

I can see where High Rock got its basic medieval style from

Attached: 015c64f6b7fbe64bd3c520627e49a0ef.jpg (1920x1080, 428K)

I want to find the architecture designer for ZeniMax and chain him to a radiator so he can't mess anything else up.

Attached: 10c922595b02fff6d8d140da74b33739.jpg (1920x1080, 521K)

Crystal-Like-Law doesn't even look like a crystal, it looks like a massive marble dildo. I'm very, very angry. Someone please comfort me in my time of need.

Attached: b71873445a9885be59349856e9cd4e48.jpg (1920x1080, 397K)

Look how "elfish" this place looks, there are even some flowers! To start such a thread with so much negativity.

Incredibly mad about how these accursed game developers did not make High Elven architecture look like the non-canon writings of Kirkbride and unreliable in-setting sources.

They didn't even try. Anything but Oblivion 2.0 would have been nice.

Would be pretty hard to model and even more impossible to make look good.

Imagine oblivion glass armor but as buildings, nobody not retarded would say "Lets have people look at that for several hours a day."

On the one hand I can understand this, on the other hand did they just create a standard fantasy-medieval town.

Reminder that ESO is the 2nd Era and hopefully any future main series installations will get it right in the 4th

Attached: 1BA69DD6-447B-4990-B33B-2CDA440246E9.jpg (480x360, 73K)

They literally just made fucking rock forts and stock medieval houses. They didn't even try to make a unique aesthetic. You could tell me that any one of those pictures is High Rock and I'd believe you.

PGE1 isn't a non-canon writing, but whatever. It honestly mine as well be at this point.
Fuck Zenimax, seriously.
Of all the places they had to stick their grubby little fingers on it had to be fucking Sumurset.
They knew exactly what they were doing, they just honestly care that little about the setting.

It was truly utter dogshit and a major fail. Bethesda are at least supposed to be good at making cool game environments even if they stumble in other areas. Personally I was hoping Oblivion's dull Cyrodiil was going to be a one-off but now with both Cyrodiil and Summerset as examples, I have a more pessimistic view of future TES depictions than I did before.

That feels like saying "Oblivion ebony armour was ugly, let's not have any in Skyrim since it obviously can't be done well"

>t. pleb who just wanted WoW with better graphics

Guys! The latest ESO dlc validates all the "apocrypha" surrounding Numidium! He retroactively broke all the glass in Alinor. He does it so often in fact, that the Altmer have decided to construct all of their structures out of rocks.

>Personally I was hoping Oblivion's dull Cyrodiil was going to be a one-off
This, you'd think that after the response to Oblivion's setting, they would have learned from that mistake, but nope, the Altmer be loving their Red Legions a bit too much it seems.
They really do just not give a fuck and seem to have no intention to honor the lore.

Well that's a bummer. Anyone want to post pics of how you'd picture Summerset and put it in a game you ran?

Attached: bottle collection 423098.jpg (620x371, 59K)

Attached: 1453165663907.jpg (868x1228, 1.24M)

>they would have learned from that mistake
It was a huge financial success, why would they need to learn from anything?

Attached: glass building.jpg (474x522, 69K)

>good settings are ones that make money
>profit motives justify anything
gb2 advertizing your paid mods on reddit, normalfag filth

I have no idea what made you lash at me.

Attached: 1511366243732.png (700x528, 315K)

lol

These are both coolio.

Getting some Melnibonean vibes from this.

CLL was never described as Crystal though.

I mean, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, but this is really the cold truth of the matter. They don't need to listen to the complaints because their games are still garnering more and more acclaim and money than ever.
I mean, who needs a fucking fanbase, when you're already guaranteed a top-selling series, raking in that sweet cash from every fucking dipshit who owns an xbox? Of course they don't fucking care.
And there's nothing seriously nothing we can do about it. Fucking paid-mods just stands to drive the message even further.

Attached: 1462821580757.gif (450x192, 4.04M)

Why do people just accept orcs into Nord cities in Skyrim?

Heck, many are very willing to just marry an Orc if they do something nice.

Aren't they supposed to be spurned and outcasts no matter where they go?

Attached: latest[1].png (730x1055, 1.49M)

Orcs have been at the very least tolerated in most places aside from Hammerfell and High Rock since the Warp in the West.

The Empire acknowledges Orcs as citizens. If you notice, there’s a lack of non-Nords in Stormcloak cities

Wait when was that book, "Notes on Racial Phylogeny" written? Because that one mentions how no Breton or Bosmer women would admit to being impregnated by an orc and vice versa.

And the ones that are in Windhelm are shoved into a dinky little alley or the docks to keep them out of sight.

Are the Stormcloaks basically Nazis combined with Vikings and ISIS?

Racial Phylogeny was written for Morrowind. Most races are generally pretty weird about having children with other races.

>Are the Stormcloaks basically Nazis combined with Vikings and ISIS?
No, they're just conservative faggots who can't see why the Empire is useful to them, and instead of just ignoring the White-Gold Concordat and worshipping Talos anyway they decided to make a huge fuss and get the attention of the Thalmor.

Milkdrinkers get out, behead those who insult Talos!

Attached: For the Nords.png (1920x1080, 2.52M)

Yeah but the context of Racial Phylogeny made it seem like the fact that it was with an orc was particularly revolting.

There really aren't too many Orcs in the cities.
I think there are a couple in Markarth (closest city to the new Orsinium, go figure), all smiths, so I'm sure people don't mind them being around. And then there is Urag at the college of Winterhold, which gathers people from all over.
The rest are either living in Strongholds or as miners/laborers.
If you are referring to why the npcs are immediately accepting to a PC orc, well that should be fucking obvious to you.
>And the ones that are in Windhelm are shoved into a dinky little alley or the docks to keep them out of sight.
There are no 'ones that are in Windhelm.'

>There are no 'ones that are in Windhelm.'
I'm fairly sure that he meant non-Nords, not orcs, considering the context of his post

>There are no 'ones that are in Windhelm.'
What this guy said.

I'd be perfectly happy for them to deviate from the descriptions if what they came up with looked good, or at the very least interesting.
What we got looks really fucking boring.

well yeah, that way when the thalmor comes over to skyrim the stronk nordic stormcloaks wipe them all out. no more thalmor, no more gay empire

>Nazis
No. Stormcloaks Don’t hunt down and kill other races. They’re just really nationalistic. “Skyrim belongs to the Nords” is like a Chinese saying “China is for Chinese”. And, frankly, despite siding with the Empire I kind of agree. How lame would be if you make a trip to China and it looks just like America or Europe?

if you truly value global diversity you should be against Interbreeding

Attached: 1412032826610.jpg (500x346, 33K)

>18 posters after almost a full day of thread being up
Elder Scrolls is dead. Thanks ESO.

user, I’ve got some bad news about how businesses function.

A U T I S M

If they were Nazis they wouldn't let you join.
Nords are too primitive to be le Nazis. If they were Argonians you'd call it a national liberation movement.

I wish they'd been willing to go a little beyond straight medieval, but I guess I can't complain too much. All we had before that was blocky Daggerfall houses and maybe some vague art.

That isn't High Rock, user.

This year at E3!

Right guys?

Attached: As+the+traditional+Passover+celebration+comes+to+a+close,+the+theme+of+Messiah%u2019s+coming+occurs+ (960x720, 103K)

Sorry man, I misunderstood. Haven't played ESO.

Attached: 1440217011666.jpg (1024x612, 601K)

skyrim is about to be released again on pc again sorry sweaty

I don't think the Pocket Guide to the Empire was written by Kirkbride.

As you should.

Go home user. You’re drunk

What would the races be like in modern day Earth?

Attached: AD16C394-5D0E-4E13-A8B8-4CC57A529183.png (596x1079, 1.01M)

They wouldn't.

No, it only just proves the point most of us are making in this thread.

It was actually, well co-written mainly with Kuhlmann and a couple of other devs.

Enough ESO whining. It's a high budget fan-fiction. Let's talk Lore.

What do you guys think is in store for Tamriel in the rest of the 3rd era? Since the LDB prevented or at least delayed a kalpatic reset by slaying Alduin, I imagine Tamriel will slip further into turmoil.

>The Emperor is dead
>Line of succession unclear which means war unless Beth tells us he has an heir
>Skyrim's infrastructure is damaged by war no matter who wins
>Nationalism growing in provinces making reconquest or annexation unlikely
>Magic viewed with more suspicion and knowledge being lost or horded by powerful mages
>Daedric incursions and interventions happening more often.

The last one is speculation but I can see it happening.

Attached: Metaphysical Kalpa.jpg (1094x1808, 255K)

Oops. Meant 4th Era.

Attached: 1449984183761.jpg (655x1140, 518K)

Literally fucking Warcraft has more creative ethereal architecture and it's on an ancient ass engine.
Wait this is Summerset proper? I thought that the game only covered a few outposts on the mainland Tamriel that could theoretically have been constructed more crudely since they're military bases or just stolen from humans.

I think this guy has the right of it. Most of the jobs of the Orcs in Skyrim are those of temporary laborers, miners and mercenaries. Those that aren't, like the smith in Markarth or Urag, are in positions where they will eventually be replaced, and likely not by an Orc - it might be engine limitations to not have Orc children around, but I can't even recall any married Orc couples.

I think the idea of Orcs being spurned as outcasts mostly ends up meaning they don't have any permanent home. Orsinium always fails, and otherwise they have scattered strongholds that are usually moving over the generations or destroyed eventually. As much as I hate ESO, it kind of supports my argument in that for some reason the Orcs are set in that small island off the coast of Daggerfall rather than where Orsinium is commonly described further east. I still don't like it, but it's an interesting point.

Attached: 1435481012501.jpg (500x500, 125K)

>but I can't even recall any married Orc couples.
I'm pretty sure there's a stronghold in Skyrim where you speak with an orc leader and he tells you about his wive(s) there in the stronghold.

The orcs can't get a kingdom up and running for very long because of the nature of orcs. They're violent and brash as a rule, the one at the college is the rare exception. Kingdoms can't be ruled with violence for very long, and that's the orcs biggest fault. They make great warriors, but a race of warriors doesn't make a great kingdom.

What is your favorite/least favorite non-playable ES race?
Personally, it’s a tie between Minotaur, Ogres, and Snow Elves (both varieties).

My least favorite are probably harpies because they’re depicted as beasts

Attached: 8C1918EE-AC0D-4564-9437-9310880343BB.jpg (1106x624, 157K)

The Orc at the college is still brash and violent, but with a book theme

It’s not ESO’s fault. It’s the developers for throwing the corporate equivalent of a REEEEEE tantrum
>“We’re more than Elder Scrolls and Fallout!”
Um, no sweetie, you can work on passion projects after you give your customers what they genuinely want

>Zenimax, no longer constrained to ES and FO, make risks and return to their ES3: Morrowind roots with ES6: Valenwood. Valenwood is an alien, yet familiar, landscape populated by a race with a culture so completely fleshed out and alien as well
Am I hoping for too much?

>favorite
Tscaesi are pretty cool.
>least favorite
Hagravens. They're like harpies except not. There was almost no reason to have them NOT be harpies.
>They're violent and brash as a rule, the one at the college is the rare exception
I'm pretty sure he threatens to have you torn apart by atronachs within the first 5 minutes of meeting him.
BGS has nothing to do with ESO. The existence of ESO is not what is keeping us from another Elder Scrolls game. Todd has said they don't want to do another TES game on current hardware, and they're using their new games to test a new animation engine. They really don't want to fuck up TES VI after the backlash from Failout 4.
>Am I hoping for too much?
Yes.

Attached: asking to be stabbed.jpg (2880x1620, 712K)

The way I see it, the kalpa isn't supposed to go back up in terms of divinity. Mundanity is like entropy in our real world, it's not supposed to decrease. It doesn't seem like divinity increased between the end of the Third Era and Alduin's return, what with magic becoming even less commonplace and power becoming less centralized with the fall of the Empire. While the return of the dragons was supposed to end the kalpa at its most mundane state, their defeat has prevented that, and if the dragons aren't helping Alduin end the kalpa, then their presence must increase divinity, since they are inherently magical and divinely connected creatures. It seems reasonable to assume that the Dragonborn has set off a new rise in divinity, which will likely form the same parabola as it did before. In a way, it's doing the same thing that would happen if a new kalpa began, meaning the current kalpa isn't just an elongated one, but, from a metaphysical standpoint, two kalpas glued together with dragon bone marrow.

>if you truly value global diversity you should be against Interbreeding

The entirety of South American culture and genetic make up is the result of interbreeding you mong

>Would be pretty hard to model and even more impossible to make look good.
I can visualized it just fine. Are you perhaps ...impaired, user?

>Are the Stormcloaks basically Nazis combined with Vikings and ISIS?

I'd say they're closer to the Viet Cong just minus the communism. Nationalistic and fighting (in their opinion) for their independence against foreign influence while engaged in a civil war with their countrymen, who are allied with a wealthier foreign power. Not a perfect comparison obviously but I think it's better than 'Nazis/ISIS lol' but due to the way racial coding works in fantasy people jump to movements which included white people.

Toussaint did it better

Attached: the_witcher_3_blood_and_wine_endgins_how_to_get_the_best.jpg (854x480, 79K)

>Yes.
The Green Pact would make it pretty strange just be virtue of existing
>skin tents
>organic weapons and armor
>various weird meat dishes to compensate for lack of vegetables, fungus and fruits

Is that a playable ogre mod for Skyrim? Where'd you get it from?

Also my favourite non-playable race would be the Giants. Something special in my heart for the big, lumbering slow folk that want to be left alone.

ESO is shitting out another DLC

It's an expansion :^) can't be calling it a DLC or their subscribers would get it when they pay $15 a month

But it's the Imperials that bring other races with them.

It’s not playable, but it’s from the best mod (in my opinion) available. It’s Beyond Skyrim: Bruma and it’s on console too.

Basically it adds County Bruma from Cyrodiil like an expansion or something. It’s oretty decently sized and comes with some Cyrodiilic enemies including Minotaur

They do get it if they own a subscription though. Rest of us pay the $50. It’s honestly cheaper to have the sub, but the games so boring it’s less expensive just to buy the DLC for me

Unless they changed it from how they did Morrowind, they do not give subscribers access to the expansions.

Oh.

Well at least I can make an ogre with skeleton sliders, racemenu, and a more muscular orc skeleton.

>Altmer crying about Summerset
Just LOOK at what they did to muh Orsinium.

Attached: 3C766B40-4503-4F3D-875A-721787C77ED6.jpg (1106x624, 182K)

Aren’t Ogres basically animals?

It's just going to get torn down again in a couple of years anyway.

It looks less than a standard medieval fantasy town.

The Betony orcs in ESO are a seperate clan(still allied to the pact). The Orsinium Orcs are a thing set in Orsinium Proper.

In this case, I'll give them that the new Orsinium would likely have to been built in haste, probably over the ruins of an ancient Breton or maybe even Nordic fortress.
But really there shouldn't even be a new fucking Orsinium, the Breton and Redguard barons would never stand for that shit.
The real response to Emeric striking a deal with the Orcs to literally give them land to build a new kingdom would be Emeric found dead with his throat 'mysteriously' slit with the Bretons lords returning to business as usual as his negligible Covenant is lost to history.

>Not tearing someone apart for destroying priceless and ageless knowledge
It's like you have no passion.

So are some orcs.

>So are all orcs.
fixed it for you

Attached: B13C5DAA-855C-4C9D-A6A9-6F7DAD83EFB8.jpg (500x353, 75K)

Attached: FA91222A-3C43-4C0B-BDD6-D05A5488A476.jpg (2460x1620, 915K)

R-rude!

Attached: 13310911-99BA-4E79-A491-5DB7378FC2BA.jpg (600x948, 144K)

>Revival of totemic religious practices in eastern Skyrim
>A schism forms between Colovia and the Niben, leading to the collapse of the Empire
>Aldmeri Dominion annexes eastern Cyrodiil
>Flashpoint for Great War 2 is Highrock of all places
I think these are safe (fairly dull) bets for the future of Tamriel

>revival of totemic religion
Nah by the next game everyone will worship the imperial pantheon. Only distinguishing cultural variations will be Akatosh/Auriel and whether they include Talos. We don’t wanna alienate the new target audience with new gods to memorize.

>everyone will worship the imperial pantheon
Boring

My point exactly. Gutting the Nordic pantheon was ESVs greatest sin.

>Aldmeri Dominion annexes eastern Cyrodiil
Why would they hit the east instead of the west?