Why is he a Dark Lord?

Why is he a Dark Lord?

He is experienced, fair and Harsh, but that in no way makes him a Dark Lord.

In what tabletop setting will he constitute as a Dark Lord?

Attached: stannis_baratheon.jpg (1024x683, 142K)

I don't know anything about the guy, but most Dark Lords start out as Harsh but Fair Lords, slide into Jerk Lords as they age, before cracking the secret of death and becoing Dark Lords.

>In what tabletop setting will he constitute as a Dark Lord?

Maybe Blue Rose.

Otherwise he's just a hard case.

Stannis would be a great king.
The show is cancer.

He's inhuman. His limited understanding of fairness is autistic to the point where it becomes cruel. He had no concept of nuance and does not understand the idea of redemption, nor that not all good and bad deeds are equivalent.

He's a subversion in the books.

He wears black, he burns his enemies, he brings a strange savage religion, and he has no mercy.

But he's also the most competent and the only who puts a thought to what is to happen post-war.

I wouldn't say he's a Dark Lord. I'd say he's Lawful Neutral, leaning hard on the lawful bit.

Yes he burns people alive for doing shit against him. He's not nice, but if you're fair to him, he'll treat you the same.

In the show his religious inclinations get the better of him by the end. In the books he's more likeable. I'd look into him, he's an interesting character.

He absolutely 100% understands redemption. He's just very clear that you can't be redeemed without facing punishment.

>He's not nice, but if you're fair to him, he'll treat you the same.

He's not only not nice, he's cruel.
He's cruel and meanspirited.

Not in the sense that he has people flayed for funsies, but in the sense that near every single line out of his mouth is a condemnation, a mocking jape at someone's expense, or a statement of contempt.

And as I recall he has the strongest "de jure" claim to the title?

In so far as you accept that as being what determines who should rule, yes. But no one truly does except for Stannis.

But there is a very valid criticism of that, which is that Robert did not have the "de jure" claim until he got it through the right of conquest.

He’s a guy, so of course the show is going to depict him as a hyper violent unfit ruler. He’s better in the book

Not really. His father was an usurper.

>fair and harsh
what?

>His father
D&D pls

Stannis was the best king. He actually had a sense of kindness and honesty, too. He just was autistic as shit, which was only reinforced by the fact that he's one of the only truly just people. Everybody else says nice things and does bad. Stannis says mean things and does good.

Stannis in the books is less competent than Stannis in the show, massacre of a season not withstanding.

Eh. He only has a claim because his family were traitors, so I wouldn't say his claim is especially de jure in the broader view.

"Laughs in Shireen's Screams"

Stannis in the books is more competent than Stannis in the show.

Reading this makes me realise I don't even remember if some of the things I know about GoT come from the books or the shows. I read all the books and only watched the first season, but I'm sure I read enough about the shows to mix up things.

When does the next book come out anyway?
>

Take for example Stannis's defeat at King's Landing

In the show, Tywin just shows up out of nowhere and mops the floor with Stannis, who looks like a retard for trying to siege a city with an army in the rear.
In the books, Tywin's army is currently btfo by Stark, which is why Stannis moves against Kings Landing in the first place. Stannis gets caught with his pants down by the army of the Reach, (who were neutral post-Renly's suspicious death) due to some b.s. alliance that Littlefinger pulled off at the last minute bringing the Lannisters and Tyrells together.

This might seem like a mere simplification of the plot for convenience, but the show producers (who hate Stannis because they do not understand him) manage to paint Stannis as a complete incompetent idiot for losing at Blackwater, rather than a man who was just outmaneuvered by political mechanisms.

The first season actually followed the books pretty well so you are probably mainly remembering book-shit.

>Stannis says mean things and does good.
Stannis says true things and does good.
ftfy

>Illiterate

rather than just saying he's a meaniehead, provide an example where he's "inhuman" and "cruel."

>nor that not all good and bad deeds are equivalent.
he doesn't think that retard. that's the whole point of his "good deeds don't wash away bad deeds" philosophy of justice.
Davos being punished for his prior life of smuggling and reward for his daring rescue of Storm's End are the perfect example of this.

>he's a double meanie
you mean he executes traitors and enemies.
there's literally nothing mean or wrong about this.
Robb Stark and Eddard Stark also personally executed traitors and criminals.

Yeah but I meant a read a lot about the TV show as it went on because Veeky Forums and other places keep talking about it over the books.

He uses demon magic to kill people

>D&D bullshit to draw viewers via shocking actions is relevant

You don't know what any of the words you use actually mean, do you?

He's a whiny hypocritical faggot, but he's no Dark Lord.

Robert had a legit claim, he had targ blood

Don't forget that Davos would only accept the deal if Stannis took the fingers himself. He's autistic as fuck and can be pretty cold but he's not a bad person.

>any comedy, tragedy or drama present in any medium is now 'D&D bullshit'

You say demon magic, I say the powers bestowed upon the followers of the one true god.
plus he only uses that power to kill traitors.
what's wrong with that?

Traitors, enemies, little girls with magic blood needing spilled who also happen to be his daughter...
You know, little things.

What would be Stannis Tax Policy?

>Robert had a legit claim, he had targ blood
no he didn't. that was merely an afterthought to justify placing him on the throne.
other living persons were much closer to the line of succession than him, who's only claim goes all the way back to Aegon's bastard brother.

Robert, Stannis, and Renly Grandmother is a Targaryen.

Attached: 1520934061684.gif (500x283, 1.85M)

>the show
If I weren't at work I would post an image approximating my contempt for you.

Enjoy yourself.

IMO Stannis represents modern man (and is, amusingly enough, preferred by those who think they are 'modern men'): all intellect, no emotion. Half a human being.

A literal shell.

Someone who lives only in their own intellect will inevitably slide towards darkness because they don't have the EIQ to resist its less obvious, or even counterintuitive, lures. They are puppets waiting to dance.

illiterate scum go here

>Assassinates his brother with dark magic
>Gets in bed with dsrk foreign God's to achieve power
>Cucks his wife for dark God's priestess
>Brunswick his daughter alive for dark good power
>Is a generally unsociable unfunny over serious fuck
>Loses like every goddamn battle

I dunno user you tell me.

Is this some kind of bait? Stannis did feel emotion, but more than all, he did what he though was just, not what his dick though was good.

This is your home now.

>It is just to burn my daughter!
user, I...

>Burning my daughter alive seems just
>Killing everyone who believes in the God's of my father's is just

>untermensch consumes one form of media only

Attached: 1387576733629.jpg (672x712, 125K)

Franfic aren't canon.

Show Stannis and Book Stannis are two different characters. We should probably stop comparing them and pretending otherwise.

I make me sad people cant unite in a beautiful hatred of the targs. Fucking pieces of shit get wanked so hard in the show it makes me disgusted. They are the true dark lords just ahead of dorne.

Even in season two I could see something was wrong.
There's an echo of the character, but there wasn't much of the relationship between Davos and Stannis, looking at the commentaries I think the camaraderie went over the showrunner's heads.

No, they simply chose to ignore it. Just like they decided to make Stannis and Jun Snuhhh BFFs on first meet (thus making Davos completely out of character Ask Mel, a woman he despised and tried to kill multiple times, to perform a miracle he had never seen and wouldn't have believed in anyways to resurrect Jun Snuhhh): they need to constantly shill their favourite characters, whom they give immunity to consequences

In the books too Tywin was actually going west, but Edmure tully broke orders and engaged him, somehow winning a great victory and sending tywin back to harrenhal. This left him so close to kings landing he arrived back in time.

If Edmure had listened to Robb, Robb's forces would have tywin's 20k men held up in the westerlands and stannis would've taken kingslanding..

Never trust a tully, even their greatest victories are actually tactical defeats.

Literally no part of what you wrote had relevance to what I did.

Why do you write things?

The show took good care in S2 to show that Stannis had a strong shot of winning until he got literally outmaneuvered by the Tyrells. It was fairly accurate to the book in that regard.

>he has people flayed for funsies
Stannis doesn't flay people though.
user?

While i agree in tully hate. You cant really break an order you never had. Robb didn't tell him at all what the plan was and as such edmure figured that this would be the best way to land a victory as well as a way to keep his smallfolk safe. Pretty much edmure couldn't see the Strategic possibilities of letting tywin retreat due to his own desire to save his people.

Stannis is fantasy Dredd. He's not heartless but he will enforce the law. He'll be king because the law says he'll be king. He'll chop off davos's fingers because the law says he must. He'll knight davos because it's the right thing to do.

Literally learn to read.

*crowns himself king of the vale with sansa as his queen*
*wargs falcons*
Can anyone stop him?
The vale has
>a completely untouched army
>stockpiled food for the long winter
>amazing defences at the bloody gate
>Littlefinger in control
Robert Arryn, Falcon King!

Attached: sweetrobin.jpg (900x900, 81K)

weak bait

>Write he doesn't flay people, but he's a dick to people

>BUT user HE DOESN'T FLAY PEOPLE

>Literally learn to read

>Lol bait

I hate you.
So much.

All the other characters would have sacrificed someone else's child. Only Stannis would sacrifice his own. That's why he would have been the best king.

What is the life of one child against millions, against the entire world?

If they have to die so everyone must be saved, it has to be done.

God would never have done that.

Nah. I mean in the season where Stannis dies, yes, but show Stannis is an insane badass warrior in additional to being an even better option than the other candidates than he is in the book.

It's like the reverse of Jon Snow, who is kind of a wimpy git in the show but pretty damn competent in the books.

HEY ABRAHAM
GO KILL YOUR SON

>has littlefinger in control
Ahh, a bravosi puppet kingdom

>he hasn't read the books

Attached: 1502482953008.jpg (512x512, 28K)

>be God
>stop Abraham from killing his son before he kills his son

>be Lord of Light
>send magic-wielding priest to the wrong person
>let said person burn their own daughter alive

Man, this God fella sounds kinda nice when compared to the Lord of Light

Lord of Light is a meme made up by sorcerers.

>he thinks gods are real
>he thinks magic is real
Hey champ, first time reading the books here? Don't worry bud, I thought the same as you when I was new around here. Here's some advice, keep your head down, don't post till you've read the series 3 times at least. Don't have the time to read it that much? Here's a short cut, it's called "Preston".

Good luck man.

>The Blackwater is now every battle

>*wargs falcons*
wat?
isn't robin gonna get dropped out a window like his mom, as soon as Littlefinger gets all he wants out of the regency?

What the fuck are you talking about? Magic is obviously real.
How do you explain shadow assassins, resurrection and visions as anything else but magic?
The story does keep it ambiguous if the Lord of Light is actually a deity or if a bunch of wizards who learnt weird magic just fooled themselves into thinking their magic comes from a deity.

>magic in ASOIAF isn't real
What

You're so fucking dumb.

>Shadow assassins
Telekinesis, stannis telekineses'd the air. It's science.
>Resurrection
Eh, they're animating a corpse, their soul actually hasn't returned. Beric doesn't remember his betrothed's name, he doesn't remember who knighted him. Beric isn't Beric anymore, he's a tool for whoever animated his corpse. Animated using telekinesis.
>Visions
dude weed.

This is why it is important to recognize bait and ignore it.

He burned his own child alive because a witch told him to.

>but muh novels

Pic is from the show

Of all the fucking retarded things in this thread, you're saying magic isn't real?
Magic was demonstrably real from the FIRST FUCKING BOOK you retard.

>A shallow reproduction which consistently misses every point is superior so I can shitpost about Stannis

Then explain Dragons.
And warging.
And Strong Belwas.
And Coldhands.
And Black Candles.
And why kids love Cinnamom Toast Crunch.

He's the most competent and would probably be the best king except for the religion thing. The whole lord of light obsession, burning people, burning godswoods and killing people with blood magic just rubs me the wrong way. I hope Brienne gets her revenge in the books as well, except it could be a bit less retarded. Stannis probably wouldn't burn Shireen in the books even if the red cunt told him to and he definitely wouldn't lose to ramsay like that.

In fairness, Stannis isn't obsessed with the Lord of Light. He doesn't even actually believe it exists, but having Melisandre in his pocket is a nice trump card.

He won't burn Shireen because he left her behind at Castle Black and I'm pretty sure she already told Melisandre to fuck off the one time she suggested using Shireen.
And if IIRC in the books Stannis doesn't believe any of that Lord of Light bullshit, he just allows it because religion and magic are useful tools and the Lord of Light has both.

>Stannis army went from 1500 to almost 5000.
Can he be stopped?

Also.

Attached: kZU1Iuf.jpg (960x720, 113K)

Replace Stannis with young robert baratheon.

How quickly would be become king?

Attached: bobby b.jpg (1264x794, 317K)

Robert was just a great warrior and a really charismatic leader but his victory during the Rebellion was more due to what his allies did than what he did.

what the fuck am i reading how does it being telekenesis make it any less magical or more real than a fucking shadow boogeyman

How do people still say this dumb shit when it's clear that Daenerys is the Mad Queen

Plus the sand snakes' mom

A huge part was actually Robert mimicing what Aegon did in the first place. He elevated those who joined him willingly, we incredibly fair to those who bent the knee, and crushed those who wouldn't relent. That is really the big reason why Stannis won't win the Iron Throne, he can't forgive traitors.

Daeneys is only the Mad Queen when the writers want her to have a cool moment.
And the Sand Snakes were killed either because the writers realized no one liked them or because they didn't know what to do with them, just like they had the Lannisters suddenly conquer Highgarden and cause Olenna to die.

>unfunny
Now this is where I object. He's constantly sarcastic and poking fun at others with his overly-serious facade.

>I hope Brienne gets her revenge
I don't. Her dreaming about her past experiences of Renly but with Jaime in his place should hopefully indicate how little that matters, now.

>littlefinger
user...I...