/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Somebody threw away a perfectly good Atlas, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2018-03-22 - Still getting worked on & now has 35401 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2018-02-28!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Attached: e31ecae8d95034e339feb9864526d104ac7ba20e.jpg (2560x1600, 1.2M)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/238471201633206272/425685873305321472/Protomech_Designer_v0.9.jar
mwomercs.com/forums/topic/255291-harmony-gold-v-weisman-pgi/page__st__1040
youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Somebody threw away a perfectly good Atlas, edition

The Atlas's place is in the trash.

Attached: Hellstar.jpg (477x517, 136K)

u wot mate?

Attached: bc06b8f8842ae34312574f180ab502b04147c00e.jpg (505x890, 109K)

We need more papercrafts

Attached: IMG_20180323_114854.jpg (2048x1536, 1.49M)

But those don't line up with the hexes.

Also a request for aid in figuring out what I should do to recreate a HPG facility, any advice is appreciated

Attached: 6mmpapercraft.pdf (PDF, 6.56M)

Fuck off with your clan ultra cheese.

>what I should do to recreate a HPG facility,

Make a building and stick a little dish on top made of a paper cone. The HPG dish is the main feature.

okay simple enough right?

Drat, missed the start due to lunch, but...

Official /btg/RO design challenge:

We are looking for Glider Protomech designs for Clan Snow Raven. Designs must meet the following criteria:
>12 tons
>Must have at least 7/11 Glider MP

Designs with tech not currently used on canon protomechs are encouraged. Similarly, attempt to limit it to the base design and 0-1 variants unless you have a really good reason.

Submission requirements:
>Must be submitted in .txt file format with all construction data filled out (see pic for example). Megamek or record sheet files are appreciated, but are not required.
>Must have at least rudimentary fluff (state it's for, what it does)
>Must have your name included in the files supplied for the design
>Must have a description of how you want it to look. It can be as vauge as "small and blocky" or as detailed as "here's three examples of canon designs I'm taking from and a sketch of the end result"
>Ideally, give us a zipped folder with the format "Mechname_Tonnage(Creator name)" and all of the above inside

Submit your designs to the /btg/RO Email listed on the Built for War blog. We will close submissions on April 1st.

A convenient list tech not used on protos that can be legally mounted:
Angel ECM
Improved Heavy Medium Laser
Ultra ACs
Protomech AC 4 & 8
LBX-5
AMS
NARC
(non-quad) Protomech Melee System
MG array
Torpedoes
UMUs
ER, Heavy, and Vehicle Flamers
Watchdog CEWS
Vehicular Grenade Launcher
ER Pulse Laser
Streak LRMs
Recon Camera
Remote Sensor Disperser
Re Lasers
TSEMP
RISC Repeating TSEMP
RISC Viral Jammers

Protomech designer:
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/238471201633206272/425685873305321472/Protomech_Designer_v0.9.jar
For anyone trying to make protos for the design contest, here's the thing I've been using. It has a number of bugs and errors, like the inability to remove weapons after placing them and most weapons requiring the wrong number of heat sinks. It works at the basic level, though.

Attached: 1521561174321.jpg (757x562, 67K)

Just draw a circle and take a little slice out of it to make a papercraft cone. Stick a picture of the death star laser on it if you want some texture. Then you can make the transmitter tip and supports out of a toothpick/qtip and some thread if you really want to go whole hog.

next template out vehicle hanger

Attached: IMG_20180323_151259.jpg (2048x1536, 1.23M)

Looks good. Doubles as light industrial.

Apropos of nothing, I was just alerted to the existence of photographs showing Cincy's local campaign play from circa 2008-2009.

As small selection from the end of the campaign...where our Clan Watch forces scouting Odessa discover the WoB - Clan Wolverine link and have to fleet the planet to bring back the word...follow:

Attached: 10.jpg (604x453, 51K)

>Table 1

Attached: 12.jpg (604x453, 61K)

>Table 2

Attached: 17.jpg (604x453, 67K)

>no, I don't know why that's rotated. No, the original isn't like that.

>Table 1 early game

Attached: 18.jpg (604x453, 64K)

>Table 2 early game

Attached: 22.jpg (453x592, 59K)

>Table 1 mid-game

I don't recall the specifics of this scenario. The Clan forces had to stop the DropShips from taking off early by killing APUs, I think. Then they had to board them and kill off enough WoB stuff so they could take off early.

About this time, several WoB ASFs were shot down over Table 1. Which is a good thing...

Attached: 35.jpg (604x453, 66K)

>Which is a good thing...

...because the one's over Table 2 weren't. This lack of AAA defense produced...

Attached: 28.jpg (604x453, 58K)

...an inevitable result.

Attached: 30.jpg (604x453, 59K)

>2-sheet wide gunline games

Remind me why people think Cinci is good again?

This was the very first iteration of our Nuclear Weapons Template. Future versions would look somewhat less like a cake.

BattlePope still has this version lying about somewhere; the foam has the positive quality of being hard to destroy. The much nicer-looking one made out of foam & cotton disintegrated years ago.

Attached: 34.jpg (604x453, 76K)

>58688796
>2-sheet wide gunline games

The WoB forces were stopping Clan forces from moving across the board in order to reinforce (and flank) Table 1. Mathematically, if the mapsheet was more than about 1 map wide, they wouldn't be able to get their 3/5s across at all in time to actually participate on Table 1.

Also, (you)

>there aren't many more wide shots of Table 1

Attached: 57.jpg (604x453, 68K)

Pretty much all the rest of the pics are close-in stuff with no context. However, this one is worth sharing, because this killed a pristine Fafnir; every damage cluster went straight to the head.

>the Watch knew about the WoB/Wolverine link. Zell was totally out the window at that point.

Attached: 52.jpg (604x453, 63K)

This pic of a bunch of Celestials shanking the shit out of a salvaged Dragon Fire is the last pic I have worth sharing without more context to the photos.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled shitposting.

Attached: 62.jpg (604x453, 59K)

>not giving him a (You) but then giving it anyways

NEA you dummy

Hell, I'd like more just for the paint jobs

Maybe you shouldn't design a scenario that you can only play four turns of.

(You)s manually given in text format don't count. If you were over 18, you'd know that.

Nice dump. Any particularly BATTLETECH! moments you remember?

Because... who are they competing against? Really?

Where are the pics of your scenarios user? Put on a name, claim credit for your posts, and put up pictures of your 20 player games across multiple linked tables.

Go ahead. Please. We'd like to see them.

>only 4 turns

>oh-itsRetarded.png

I mean, Toronto basically. Sadly, Toronto seems to have minimal to zero web presence while Cinci posts here and has at least 5 posters (possibly more) I know of who have participated in Cinci games.

>(You)s manually given in text format don't count. If you were over 18, you'd know that.

They just make you look like more of a weirdly passive-aggressive faggot desu

Look at the width of the table ya dumb bastard. Moving 5 hexes a turn for four turns gets them across.

>Because... who are they competing against? Really?
>I mean, Toronto basically.

I thought the Toronto group fell apart

I wasn't at that game so I couldn't say (before my time), but NEA generally puts additional restrictions on exiting the board during scenarios. Usually something like "no enemy units within X hexes". It's never simply a matter of running as fast as you can to the other board edge.

I don't think we've EVER had a game go less than 12 turns in the time allotted, unless one side completely dominated the game. I know the guy standing in the dark shirt in . I'll ask him if he remembers how long this game went.

Did they? I have no connections to Toronto so I honestly don't know what they're up to. It'd be sad if they did fall apart. That'd leave just Cinci as far as major BT groups go.

NEA show us your entire WoB force in all it's glory next time you get a chance.

What are the popsicle sticks for?

>We now return you to your regularly-scheduled shitposting.

>most prescient comment in thread.

Good dump.

That's not a ringing endorsement.

>another cincifag

You fuckers are an infestation, damn

Is that a miniature of a nuclear explosion blast? You really need that?

Not anymore. I'm in West Virginia now. Haven't played with them in several years.

So I've just been handed a wonderfully groggy as all hell scenario book to write as a smaller fluff piece alongside some of the bigger upcoming releases, and I want it to be maximum Mad Max where applicable. I can't go into specifics, of course, but are there any particular pieces of old-school, Third-Succession-War-era brutalism that you miss, should be reprinted, or have thought up yourself and would like to see in print? Something I can readily cram into a scenario or Chaos Campaign is best, though I may be able to work with other stuff. While there's a specific background involved for the book as a whole, I'm looking to make what I can as not tied to storyline as possible so that people have readily stealable stuff for their own games.

What's wrong with the Cincinnati group?

Strictly speaking you don't *need* any miniatures at all to play.

I mean it just go boom and it's over. It's not persistent like a unit or a building. And it increases in size over time and there is no way to reflect that in a miniature.
But It looks cool and it is enough I guess.

>And it increases in size over time and there is no way to reflect that in a miniature.
Challenge accepted

We outnumber your bitch ass. Cry more crocodile tears you fuckstick.

Nothing. Some people like to hate Cinci because they "make everyone else look bad" (real reason for hating them that gets trotted out sometimes). It's just irrational hatred, ignore it.

>You really need that?

>what is visual appeal?
>what is creating a unique experience and a cool moment for your players?
>what is a template that looks just about the right size to automatically remove any unit which is under it, regardless of how hit location rolls turn out?

There's a bunch of reasons why a nuke template can be useful user. Sorry you don't have the imagination to think of them.

It's mostly to bait you sycophantic fuckers cause you always bite so damn hard

Plot thickens, everybody!
mwomercs.com/forums/topic/255291-harmony-gold-v-weisman-pgi/page__st__1040

Harmony Gold is asking for evidence from the Japanese courts, perchance?

Attached: Plot.gif (480x270, 824K)

Give us back Mad Max engine swapping, also maybe recannonize the old Batteletechnology using mechs as lawful field gantries rules. Have we ever officially got cargo nets back either?

Other than that, I'd really like to see an old school mechwarrior family as described. Where some guy in a Shadowhawk has two hundred brothers and cousins all living on his land grant and all the related people are not just the farmers and the infrastructure but also the backup pilots, the techs, mechanics, the bodyguards, the spies.

Not that they have to be fully featured but even just some dude with his squad of elite cousin assassins or a raid on a mechwarrior castle where the peasants don't cower but instead go full guerilla on the invaders. The old retired guy that gave his machine to the next generation showing up in the farm's agromech with a bunch of DA tier shit welded to it and the scullery maid with an inferno launcher. I mean maximum grogknight.

>and the scullery maid with an inferno launcher

muh dick

Give us wacky and fun scenarios like mercs fighting over a case of lostech brandy or something.

A single charger VS multiple half-dead bugs, fighting over a 300SFE in a crate in a barn, for the absolute pinnacle of mad max trashfights

Why? Why would you do that? Is your real life that terrible that you feel the need to go onto the internet and make others feel bad? Was your childhood that terrible that you must make it up by making everyone else miserable? Do you hate this game that much that you must attack everyone else who's doing it better than you and drive away what little interest we have from new players?

Who hurt you, user? Can nobody else have nice things because you yourself cannot?

Attached: 1506626843110.png (1200x950, 1.32M)

Some of this stuff is more suitable for a broader Third War-era setting book I'm hoping to one day write than a basic scenario book, but it's definitely good stuff and I'm definitely taking notes. We're looking at making a system through which each side can field a bunch of garbage-tier disposable units to hurl at the other side, albeit abstracted for minimal bookkeeping.

OK so protip, dont try to fold and glue pieces that are the size of your thumbnail only anger and anguish lies in wait...

Attached: IMG_20180323_164337.jpg (2048x1536, 1.07M)

>We're looking at making a system through which each side can field a bunch of garbage-tier disposable units to hurl at the other side,

Isn't that just the Capellan counterattack during the 4th Succession War?

Ancient chinese papercraft trick 1: use an exacto to score your lines
Ancient chinese papercraft trick 2: on tiny stuff, use doublesided tape

youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc

I'm thinking super simplified, like the Battlefield Support rules in the BMM, though we'll see how it all works out.

Man, this is art.

Ancient chinese papercraft trick 3: Squint a lot

>not being nearsighted with superhuman close range vision

There's a reason most wargaming nerds wear glasses.

Oh, oh, what about a Banshee fighting a bunch of Scorpion tanks?
Or an Archer that's out of ammo against a one-armed Rifleman with engine damage?

One word. Frankenmech. And not necessarily some pirate fallapart, but even a proper Sneed tier functional monster.

Yeah i learned the exact knife trick after fumbling with the first roof unit... double sided tape is neat thanks for that tidbit

Attached: Uziel_Jacob.jpg (800x600, 54K)

A mercenary unit, having won a fight against a pirate band, is caught limping back from the fight to their Mule dropship (to explain why they weren't combat dropped) and is ambushed by a group of scavengers looking to loot their damaged 'Mechs to sell the parts on the black market. So basically a bunch of heavily-damaged Battlemechs with low/no ammo and exposed internals against a bunch of TRUCK STRONK dudes in what amounts to light APCs and other sub-30 ton vehicles, maybe even a Scorpion or two. And a few platoons of infantry and some support weapons.

Will the weary Mercs make it back to their dropship, or will the scavengers kill them and chop shop their 'Mechs to sell to the highest bidder?

Alternatively, FrankenUrbie swarm vs. Probing Attack force.

Attached: 1385796533388.jpg (2000x2156, 1.19M)

>One word. Frankenmech.

Attached: sadrauder.jpg (1195x1587, 488K)

No problem.

The table is too perfect to not have used one. No way to know if the equation came before or after the first engines (120, 240, 275, etc) though.

Attached: tr3055 p7.png (3018x2088, 840K)

How does myomer actuate that elbow?

Wrapped around the joint like a lawnmower pullcord.

The Cat is a brawler that hangs back and dumps ammo for the first few turns to soften shit up. CASE isn't really necessary on the C1 IME, as long as you commit to the ammo dump.
The Royal variant is alright, and a fairly easy refit (uses doubles to free up the tonnage for CASE and some more ammo), but what I've always wanted to see is an MML-boating Cat to take advantage of its mobility and brawling role.

If you want to theme it a little more Capellan/St.Ives, you could get the LRM/LB-2X conversion done, which is surprisingly effective in a support role.

The remainder of the lance is solid and maneuverable, if a little slow by Civil War standards. The HEL-3D is another excellent "approach brawler", and the Slayer's a pretty good scout for the group if a bit underwhelming at range.

Your group is gonna have problems running shit down, so practice breaking LoS on the approach and be prepared for some VERY nasty Mediums, especially the jumping pulseboats that everyone's so fond of in-era. Also, you NEED to get some Inferno ammo, because that lance has almost no other way to deal with Battle Armors.
A Plasma Rifle Catapult (which the Caps are making) or slapping a PR on the Starslayer in exchange for the SRM and an LL might be a good start for expanding your fire(hurr)power.

>Is your real life that terrible that you feel the need to go onto the internet and make others feel bad?
It's not enough to be happy. Others must be miserable too.

Attached: ho ho ho.gif (300x297, 965K)

>Also a request for aid in figuring out what I should do to recreate a HPG facility, any advice is appreciated
I saw a really good sketch one user uploaded a few years ago. I'll go dig up my HPG control bunker after I finish work tonight and post that as well - it's mostly bits from one of the old ERTL Space Shuttle payloads rearranged into a modular bunker system with some GW and Gundam G-Sight bits.

Attached: HPG Sketch - unknown artist.jpg (2592x1936, 1.77M)

>It is protected by an energy shield, generated by the nearby forest moon of Endor

You rebel scum!

Attached: you_rebel_scum.jpg (1920x1080, 127K)

Oh, you know what would be the perfect HPG dish for an A-class station?

Attached: 892_0.jpg (340x450, 23K)

>MML Catapult
It's a pretty easy modification to do with even the base unit. Obviously you could go DHS and dump more weight into CASE and armor, but this is about as simple as it gets.

Attached: Catapult CPLT-H3.png (630x893, 53K)

>What are the popsicle sticks for?
Write a weapon name on the stick, point it at the target when you're splitting fire in the order of declaration. Lets you split out fire stacks during declaration without having to scrawl all over the records sheets constantly.

Eh, there's at least four of us from the Puget Sound group posting as well - including C13. It's less-aggressive about large events than Cincy (other than BTpalooza) but we're doing something at least twice a month.

>are there any particular pieces of old-school, Third-Succession-War-era brutalism that you miss, should be reprinted, or have thought up yourself and would like to see in print?
Rules for damaged and malfing 'Mechs? I did a pre-test doc a few years ago, that I >really< need to finish. I've also got a catalog somewhere of all the busted/shitmechs in FASA scenario packs back before they started writing everything as being pristine or with cosmetic armor damage.

Maybe a few more FrankenMechs as well? I know a couple showed up in art that never got stats, and throwing in a Falcon mashup as a unique variant would be a good nod to the old fluff.

Attached: Mech Quirk tables (Peripherat and SW).pdf (PDF, 57K)

>What if I put dishes in front of my dish to block off portions of it? Will that make it work better?

Ancient Chinese PPK Trick #4: cut a chunk of foamcore or EPS foam to shape, then white-glue the paper on as a skin texture.

Motherfucker. I can get one of those for about $5 too.

Attached: Chanelaine Isles frankenMech.png (529x972, 117K)

Knowing that we need to keep it simple and that page count is tight (and because rolling on a million tables is tedious at the start of a game), we'll likely be relying on the new Ramshackle quirk from the Battlemech Manual for a lot of pre-existing damage stuff (CA's idea, which the moment I saw said "yes, this is exaclty what I need for future Third War books"; and now here we are). But we're looking at expanding it a bit, and perhaps doing something really different with it besides.

Definitely considering Frankenmechs as well, though again the product has some limitations that make it difficult. If they make it in they may be OPFOR only.

Fair enough, Ramshackle is a lot of fun. Just spitballing anyway.

I may message you on Facebook/IRC later about the idea, if that's okay. Got a lot of work on my plate with a convention coming up next week.

Ok, so I'm putting together a Ghost Bear star and decided to just roll with their common mechs from 3049 with certain configurations chosen:
>Executioner A, Kingfisher C, Mad Dog B, Viper A, Fire Moth Prime

The BV ends up at about 11280. My friend will be playing an Inner Sphere ad hoc company meant to be the opposition on a Rasalhague fringe world.

Not having a lot of experience using Clan mechs, will the BV be a big boost to the IS force? On the tabletop do Clan weapons make up the difference adequately?

For that kind of BV what sort of 3049-appropriate mech-only force might you put together to oppose my star? You dare refuse my batchall?!

Stuff repaired with iffy components - like, instead of replacing your wrecked PPCs with Large Lasers, keep the PPCs but you've crammed ten thousand Furbies in as make-shift capacitors and they wail and immolate if you fumble your To-Hit roll. (Original MW1e rule would be, your technician doesn't make the jury-rigging roll until the jury-rigged location takes damage, and then you check again *every* time it takes damage, but whatever.)

Scenario backstories which have units assigned to scavenging abandoned industrial parks. Stumbling across crap forgotten from old wars (unexploded mines or other ordnance, flooded subway lines, bleached and bare dropship hulls, etc).

'Mech battles that ruin croplands the way wildfires threaten California. Chemical sites getting wrecked and ruining everything around them, because they're still low-tech enough to be rebuilt somewhere else.

Scenario forces which are your friends one month and your enemies the next (and vice versa).

Victory conditions which make surrender and retreat of individual 'Mechs less costly than replacing destroyed 'Mechs.

Attached: 1356306554117.jpg (990x459, 69K)

His hog force should be like 3/4 Archers and Panthers with a few Dragons/Zeus to round it out. Which means you'll probably have a good shot because otherwise, he'd bury you in armor tonnage. All those New Oslo mooks from the SL Panther super factory will pad his stuff to the lighter end.

LRM technicals manned by old retired guy's generation's "scullery maids".

I get it and approve user, actual warlordism.

>it's pretty much required for the clan invasion to be the epic fucking catastrophe it's billed as.

>dont try to fold and glue pieces that are the size of your thumbnail
You should go have a look at what the scale model guys do with ptotoetched brass.

>I may message you on Facebook/IRC later about the idea, if that's okay. Got a lot of work on my plate with a convention coming up next week.

That would be great, thanks. And that table is wonderful.

So wait, has /btg/ just subverted Catalyst from the inside now?

>LRM technicals manned by old retired guy's generation's "scullery maids".

You guys have the coolest ideas!

Attached: ani_missile_launch.gif (480x270, 1.04M)

Yes, Clantech more than makes up the difference.

>LAMs based on existing mech designs
Ideas worse than the F-35 for $500, Alex

It's pretty much just me and a demo agent that I'm aware of. Most Catalyst-related folks don't really enjoy Veeky Forums. But I've always found this a useful place for ideas, and no one ever badgers me about what the project is or for other inside info: they just help. I got some really good feedback from here concerning what would become the Battlemech Manual a good year before the book ever came out, for instance.

>It's not enough to be happy. Others must be miserable too.

This, but unironically. Making other people miserable really does make me feel better. It was a real high point to have helped contribute to that Palladium fuckstick's attempted suicide. I genuinely regret that we only caused Herb to quit and not to try to off himself, too.

Personally I just find it fucking hilarious how butthurt cincifags get

Alright, thanks for the input guys.

If you were min-maxing as a Wrasselhog what kind of company would you deploy? Did they have access to any recovered technology in 3049?

HAHA TIME FOR MACHINEGUN KNEES