Horus Heresy General /hhg/

Clip-yacks edition.

Previous >Thread FAQ
pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8

>Official HH 7th Edition Errata (not updated since January 2016)
forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

>30k TACTICA & TIPS
What to include in a HH list, how to format it, what makes each legion special (crunch), tactics, Tutorials for Heresy-era minis and more
pastebin.com/Tm2P4QLp

>HH Books, Novels and Rulebooks galore
pastebin.com/k9uvqsub
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2Ffz1OuHK%2Fcrusade-imperialis-army-lists.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2FZTK72gs%2Flegiones-astartes-age-of-darkness-army-list.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

>/HHG/'s Legion demographics
strawpoll.me/10558764

>/HHG/'s allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/10663447

>Primarch Popularity Poll
strawpoll.me/11458318

>NEW Mega Folder
mega.nz/#F!gaBiVTKI!HTOuNx5zzNxHqT-ny-AU3A

>HH rulebook
>epub
mediafire.com/file/mmr4e1yy7fnyxgy/HH_Rule_Book.epub
>pdf
www34.zippyshare.com/v/3a2haZF4/file.htm

Attached: 1505935107304.jpg (812x546, 168K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=BU5X9xWz4rA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Clip-yacks edition.

Yakety Sax sub-edition:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

/hhg/, are there any interesting sub orbital strike wing choices worth it for a legion?

Avengers seem like OK choices, good at mulching marines and low AV facings. Besides that, are there any cool flyers?

First for Knights-Castellan and Knights-Armiger in 30k when?

Attached: werth.png (2038x1338, 3.63M)

>battle of the kalium gate.whateverformatyouryoutubedownloaderuses

>fighting_against_melee_custodes.wmv

Hopefully never, they both look like ass

>gw is so bereft of design ideas they literally just shrank the warlord

How many Leman Russ tanks should I run in a Cult Miltia list?
I'm thinking either 3 or 4, but what do you think?

Need to know since I'm making an order tomorrow.

That depends entirely on the fluff, user. I'm going to need details.

4-9, its one of only two or three good units in your entire army, all of which are in the heavy support slot.

That's my complaint.

That and the armigers not having faceplates bugs me.

Hey, gotta leave something for FW to make.

Attached: share-the-load.gif (407x161, 1.73M)

Why not Malcadors? A fully pimped lascannon sponson, demolisher and battle cannon Malcador costs as much as a Russ MBT and a Demolisher combined, with way more benefits.

They're factory workers from an Imperial backwater. Some Word Bearers showed up one day and forced them to turn out a bunch of weapons quickly, though their factories were originally civilian manufacturing plants. Afterwards they got press-ganged into using those weapons. The WBs don't bother actually commanding them. Instead, they left a few chaotic psykers trained in daemonology, the idea being that the workers are simply sacrifices for daemonic rituals.
The army is mostly infantry with some tank support, plus some daemon allies.

I'm using pic related as a counts-as Russ, representing their reduced ability to produce armoured vehicles. For that reason, I won't be using sponsons and will probably still to the standard Russ.
I won't be taking both traitor-only Provenences because one reduces you to snap firing (though it does give fearless), and I already have a pair of Medusa siege guns (which can't be snap-fired) while about half of my cultists have autoguns. They'll still be swarming peasant infantry, but the best morale boost they get will be the explosive collars.

Attached: russ conversion.jpg (3264x1836, 1.58M)

Also I'll be putting the old chimera extra armour plates on the sides. I want them to look slap-dash and rushed.
Still not sure how to model the hull weapon if I ever use something other than a HB.

>Why not Malcadors?
Not him, but russes are the only anti-tank militia have. Not that they are good, but they are the only option.

Attached: bishop.jpg (3840x2400, 2.7M)

Looks pretty cool, I like it.

Fitting the fluff, you want as few Russes as possible, I think, since I imagine constructing something like that would tax their resources pretty hard.

Have you considered adding stuff like mortars and heavy stubbers for support? Pretty low-tech, can pling away at tactical and terminator blobs, fits your theme...

That's a good point and I'd like to, but every heavy weapon squad is one less levy squad. I've got about 200 cultists I need to fit into those 6 troops choices.

I'm so proud of you, user. I never imagined you had so many peons enlightened to the Primordial truth, so by all means go for them.

Attached: the_creation_of_word_bearers_by_treacherouspants-dbm59t2.png (1024x788, 428K)

Attached: Chaos_Star.jpg (350x350, 26K)

Personally, it is a bit lazy, but I recognize that they're interested in keeping titans of all sizes in a uniform design style. Before, every single knight and titan had pretty serious differences. Now, they're redesigning the entire line with shared elements, keeping only the key distinctions of each unit.

I think they're being a bit more liberal with changes to the knights due the fact that they had such a limited presence in the fluff and game up until recently. As for the Castellan, I see two points. One is design, in 'why fix what isn't broke' (both in fluff and RL similarities). Second, you know GW is always looking to cash in on things they think people will buy into. People have always liked the design of the Warlord, but the price tag prevents all but the most dedicated of players from getting one. This way, players can have their own 'Warlord' centerpiece for a fraction of the cost, while still netting GW a tasty profit.

Also, while it would've been nice to have at least one faceplate for the Armigers, I just see it as an opportunity to make my own. Half of the GW-made faceplates on the other knights don't impress me in the slightest, so a slightly smaller head means I might have parts at the right scale.

>russes are the only anti-tank militia have

Militia has HW squads of 5-10 heavy weapons, rapiers, malcadors, fucking bastion breacher medusas...

It's a shame they didn't go with the old Castellan design of having the guns mounted on the shoulder. Hopefully it's because they want the guns to be compatible with previous Knight kits.

>mfw I can put a turbo laser on my Crusader

Attached: stop penis erect.gif (500x281, 642K)

>Militia has HW squads of 5-10 heavy weapons, rapiers, malcadors
Cannot deal with AV 15

>fucking bastion breacher medusas
Fair point, they have two anti-tank units

>10 BS3 lascannons/unit
>Cannot deal with AV 15

sure they can't user

>10 BS 3 lascannons
>5 hit
>0.83 glancing hits on average
But hey if you spend 1200 points on lascannons you can glance a spartan to death in two turns.

Honestly, compatibility is probably a big part of it. That said, I don't think it'd be too difficult to mount the guns at the shoulder instead. Mount the primary weapon on the shoulder joint, remove the outer-half of the armor plate, and either leave the turrets up top or move them onto the sides of the primary guns.

>it's not anti-tank, if it can't deal with AV15

wut?

Also, S9+D6 can glance AV15. Malcador can have 4 of those guns or 3 plus an S10 demolisher. Not to forget HW team lascannons and rapier laser destroyers.

>spartan

You do realize the shield only protect the front arc, right?

>Flanking with non-relentless infantry
Good luck with that

>it's not anti-tank, if it can't deal with AV15
You need to be able to deal with AV15, if you cannot deal with it any enemy with heavy armour will run rough shot over your army.

ROOSYA IS COMING THROUGH FOR US.

Attached: BOIS.png (539x543, 118K)

>Implying anyone would put six trillion lascannons in the same spot

>Flanking with non-relentless infantry

No, flanking with a fucking malcador, you fucking tit.

>Implying you will still be able to get a flank shot with a non-relentless infantry guy carrying a lascannon unless your table has no terrain
>Implying side shots fundamentally change BS 3 lasacannons
Okay now instead of it taking 1200 points two turns to kill a spartan it takes one turn. Good job you accomplished with 1200 points and four troop choices what a lightning could accomplish with 200 points and a single fast attack slot

>Fill up a malcador with lascannons and a hull demolisher
>

Ok, so do share your math on taking care of Spartans with a Russ then.

You still average only about a hull point a turn against AV 14

Fire asupport Squads in Ammo dump Fortifications are surprisingly durable and accurate. Costly, but scoring. 150 for 5 bulky models without the building.

Sentinels give 3 Outflanking Lascannons for 120

Thunderbolt gives you Deep Striking Lascannons and AP2 Hunter Killers. Given the amount of Fire Raptors, I don't think I'd personally build a militia list without taking 3.

At least with air cover, you don't have to pretend that they're in the same force. Dob't forgot Lords of War also.

Don't forget Tainted Flesh Levy squad can get Rending Krak Grenades to help in melee.

That's what I call a good return of investment.

Now that the Spartan is dead, it's time to blast the rest of the table away.

Again, what's your magic formula with Russes?

>Buy 8 russes for 1240 points
>score 4 hits on average
>Score about 2 pens on average
Not good by any means but at least you can pen the dam thing. Honestly militia is a worthless army and there are no circumstances were they are better than Solar Auxilia. They can't even spam troops as well as Solar Auxilia.

If the Spartan's lived until turn 2, its done its job, put its boys in your lines and can die happy your tit.

Take allied legion with Dreadnought Talon and Drop Pod RoW. Take Maloghurst with MeltaVets and they'll have a change at popping something as well as 3* First turn Grav BoxDreads. (for cheapness price and points wise)

>1200pts. of lascannons to glance a Spartan to death in two turns is a stupid investment
>1240pts. of Leman Russ (vanquishers?) to get two penetrating hits is a sound investment

>Honestly militia is a worthless army and there are no circumstances were they are better than Solar Auxilia
Well you aren't wrong

>its done its job, put its boys in your lines

The spartan can't reach the lines if it's bogged down in levies.

pts. of lascannons to glance a Spartan to death in two turns is a stupid investment
pts. of Leman Russ (vanquishers?) to get two penetrating hits is a sound investment
The russes have a chance of crippling the spartan outright and even if they fail to will kill it in the same span of time. However, I will admit I was wrong, Russes aren't a good anti-tank choice because Militia has no good anti-tank choices.

This isn't 8th edition, it can just tank shock.

Also tar pits are a meme, a unit of 10 vets with power mauls can wipe out a unit of 50 FnP levies in three combat phases.

>tank shock

Meaning no models will be disembarking from the tank that turn.

What are you working on? I'm watching the Devilman OVA and I want to see some models.

Finally getting around to painting these guys.
I'm doomed.

Attached: NightLords.png (1159x637, 1.01M)

Looks like you have done a good job of assembling them, but that beakie's bolter has a bent barrel I think.

Quite possibly. I'll have to double check all the bits.
I was surprised by how much bending FW pieces have.

It has Turn 2 charges, if not turn 1. How tf are you bogging it down in levies with their 6" speed?

AL Infiltrating Grav Rapiers (Or Vigilator Scouting Rapiers for the angle) or Podded Grav Naughts are the only guaranteed first turn kill you have of killing a spartan and leaving its shit fuck 3 year old deathstar meme of a list.

Nobody cares about your 800pt investment on assault Terminators stuck in their deployment zone in difficult terrain eating Medusa Shells every turn.

I have noticed a lot of them bend.

Thoughts on my clubs first real batrep?
youtube.com/watch?v=BU5X9xWz4rA

Attached: 1509204605350.jpg (1312x704, 148K)

Oh, hey, I saw this recently when searching for HH battle reports.
I'm guessing you're restricted by the quality of the camera, but in the pre-game unit rundown please slow down and try for smoother movement. Between the low res and jerky handling I started to get some motion sickness.
I've got mixed feelings about the static camera during the game. In the one hand it's hard to see which models are which, but on the other it's easier to figure out what's happening across the whole board. Some battle reports move the camera around so much it can be difficult to discern where things are on the table.
Biggest complaint is the camera, though. It's like watching security cam footage.

>How tf are you bogging it down in levies with their 6" speed?

Well, it's easier when the Spartan is coming right for them.

Also IV legion with triple first turn lightnings and primarch, but who calls themselves a player if they are reliant on crutches like Perturabo scumfuckery? Primarchs are meta destroying and should be aborted from all but narrative missions. Even if everyone upscales to Primarch you get top tier RG, UM, SoH, primarchs facing off against scabs like Fulgrim.

The sneeze right at the start does not leave a good first impression.

So how is it being bogged down then? It is literally doing its job to put Gal Vorbak, Butchers, Inductii, Gorgons in your guts?

It'll be really cool for bits. I'm wondering how much bigger the torso of the Castellan is than a regular Knight, and if I can put a regular top piece over it instead of that hideous mini-Warlord one with the shoulder gun emplacements.

Either you move Flat Out to get near quick, meaning the levies can spend their turn moving and running towards the tank (which is very close now) and wrapping themselves around it, hindering its movement and possibly deny disembarking (or causing emergency disembarking, which would negate assault). The next turn the tank has to either tank shock (so no disembarking) or move to a new location. Or, if the levies can't wrap around it fully, they can screen anything the passengers would want to assault, and if they end up spending the next 2-3 turns hacking at the levies, they're not hacking at their primary targets, which can operate without hindrance or move away. Hell, you can even move more levies to take over once the first unit gets wiped out.

Given the size comparison with the Armiger, I'd say the Castellan is a tad taller and longer and a good deal wider than the general Knight. I doubt they'll be cross-compatible, too, since GW doesn't do cross-compatible anymore.

what combo of world eaters and iron warriors would be the scariest but also not WAAC? i want a fun list to play but i dont want to scare off what little 30k players we have where i live

Attached: 1501067566727.png (1264x974, 2.55M)

all strike wing options are pure fucking garbage

If you want a LoW flyer then get a super heavy flyer. they too are shit, but less so.

a thunderhawk for example. Strike wing is just idiot bait

This brings up something I've been wanting to ask for awhile now. What is the worst Rite of War?

Recon Company

24" Difference. Worst case scenario, go first. 12" Flat Out Spartan. Levy move 6+d6. Package disembarks, assaults from assault transport T2?

What are you on about?

Recon company for Competitivity. For gameplay destroying in a casual meta, Armoured Breakthrough.

Hammerfell's the standard answer, although I think people forget that you don't actually have to deep strike *all* your infantry with that. My vote goes for the salamanders awakening fire, which in return for its restrictions gives you...fear, and a shitty librarian power. And because of the restrictions, you're probably only going to have one librarian, you can't even double up to use the power twice.

U wot m8. That's got utility in stuff like RG, AL or NL armies, RG/AL can get shrouded on the entire army turn 1, and you can use a vigilator to slingshot a blob of jump pack stuff forwards and they'll have a 4+ (or 2+ for NL) cover save turn 1. It's niche, but it's not useless.

Terror Assault seems a bit counter-intuitive to me considering the NL legion rules. It encourages large units to take advantage of Talent for Murder, but the Terror Assault list forces you to take 3 Terror Squads, each with a max count of 10 models. I guess it's okay in a ZM game, but then again Terror Squads aren't exactly good at anti-dreadnought fighting.

>what combo of world eaters and iron warriors would be the scariest but also not WAAC?
Any combo with significant amounts of points of World Eaters. World Eaters have the lowest skill ceiling of any army in 30k, they are easy to play, they are adequate, but at the end of the day World Eaters are a simple army and there simply aren't any real broken combos.

Emperor's Children and Night Lords have some builds that can be tricky to deal with, but World Eaters are pretty much shoved into the role of "charge them with tons of space marines." While EC get reserve shenanigans and combat resolution bombs and Night Lords have fear and night fighting the World Eaters rites and primarch are simply more conductive towards charging tons of dudes into the enemy.

Fury of the Ancients.

>they can screen anything the passengers would want to assault
Like your troops?

SFW? They're scouts. Who cares if they're shrouded? They're like 250pts for 10 Sniper Rifles, or twice the cost for Bolters?

This is objectively the correct answer.
>How many dreadnoughts can you normally take in an army list?
>21? Nah, that's not enough, lets field an army with up to 39 dreadnoughts that requires that you take two consuls, one of which is going to be nearly useless because of all your dreads and only let you take the expensive dreadnoughts as troops instead of the Cortus

Perty+Angels Wrath Tac and Dreadnought Spam, and Surlak+Kharybdis Inductii?

First turn S

Who would be the best ally or SL partner for Thousand Sons?

A combined force of Custodes, SoS and SW with militia support.

More Thousand Sons. Anything else is just dragging your army down.

White Scars

Recon Company is actually alright because it only requires a single recon unit. If you had to take three, yes, it would be terrible.

Armored Spearhead is underwhelming, imo. You get to take Land Raiders as dedicated transports (which I guess you can do good things with; I'm not convinced) but the only other benefit is -1 Ld penalties on your opponent's tank shock roles. Wuhoo.

A terrible legion-specific rite that I haven't seen mentioned is the Blood Angels' The Day of Sorrows.
>Immune to pinning and gain stubborn if you stay within 3" of objectives in your deployment zone
>Assault-oriented legion
>Need to pin yourself in place to be immune to pinning

>Enemy takes -1 Ld penalty to morale checks if they lose an assault to you
>Okay, this is minor but you're actually likely to use it.

>Gain FNP (5+) after a unit is reduced to 50%
>Unit becomes durable after it's become too small be useful.

Multi charge. Also, why would you *not* want more Terror Squads? And why would you want then taking up vital Lightning-P slots?

>24"

Assuming the target unit is set up near the edge of the deployment zone and that the Spartan began nigh opposite of the target.

Yes, 100pts. of levies is the thing you're suppose to be protecting.

Yeah but who plays Blood Angels for anything other than dicking about with 12trillion assault cannons?

Let's be real, FW will be flushing that idea down the toilet. I'll enjoy reading about BA players mutilating their models as all their shit is rendered worthless.

>Yes, 100pts. of levies is the thing you're suppose to be protecting.
>Only get six scoring units
>Opponent butchers them all by turn 3
>Lose because you can't actually capture objectives

I guess we can just agree that Militia is pointless, worthless, has nothing of value and everyone's bad for even thinking about taking them.

>Praetor with jump pack, perdition blade, and digital lasers
>Chaplain with jump pack and perdition blade
>Forge lord with rad grenades, jump pack, and perdition blade
14 attacks with hatred and wounding on a 2+ causing double wounds when they successfully wound (so effectively 28 attacks).
>Three guys solo an entire squad of terminators
Obviously you need to stick them with a unit, but still.

>I guess we can just agree that Militia is pointless, worthless, has nothing of value
Yes, auxilia does everything militia does but better.

>World Eaters have the lowest skill ceiling of any army in 30k, they are easy to play, they are adequate, but at the end of the day World Eaters are a simple army and there simply aren't any real broken combos.
so basically world eaters are just fun for the sake of fun

Makes you wonder what people see in Fearless FNP and Rending levy squads.

That's one way of interpreting it. More realistically however, they are simply a straightforward army. If you like charging headlong into the enemy World Eaters are perfect for you, if you prefer any finesse or in depth tactics a legion like Emperor's Children might fit you more.

12" Flat Out, maybe even Scout if you're Smart like Khaled and Scout your game Winning Battle Bus. 6" move, 6" deploy, 2d6 assault. That's a 26

Quad Mortars, Fire raptors, and Typhons, followed by a Late game deny from Rhinos.

>Makes you wonder what people see in Fearless FNP and Rending levy squads.
Just form lines of lasrifle sections better shooting and if the opponent overruns one unit (which isn't hard for levy blobs considering they are still WS 2, T 3, 6+) you have another unit behind them anyway.

It's never going to happen, but what would you like to see in a ruleset and unit/model range for the regular Imperial Army regiments/Excertus Imperialis?

Would a transplant of 7th ed Imperial Guard rules with a few changes (no Commissars or Priests) suffice as an interim, or would it be unacceptable?

Attached: Vostroyan.jpg (757x642, 88K)

>non Zealot Levies

Who said non-Zealot?

But ok, other than just forfeiting the moment your opponents puts a Spartan on the table, what exactly do you suggest?