/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Concerned Edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Ghost Archipelago, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, Beyond the Gates of Antares, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread
What is on your painting table?

Attached: oathmark goblin painted Mordor-14.jpg (381x400, 159K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/T5sNNyu
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just give them flat topped helmets and tower shields.

Mechwarrior

Attached: 1521834502032894274415.jpg (5312x2988, 4.46M)

That one of the export model mad cat designs? I can never keep those straight.

>What is on your painting table?
Finishing my GCC and starting on my BMG stuff.

Also going to, hopefully, start painting my Caprice stuff for Heavy Gear soon.

Mordor goblin is sick of your shit

My painting table is a heapton of 6mm infantry that I am almost entirely dreading, seeing the quantities.
Actually got my first game of LaserStorm last night, so hopefully we’ve got enough of an idea to get the campaign started.

Attached: 75BA135A-508F-4F56-AC28-D7BE0440FA93.jpg (2968x1668, 1.87M)

Attached: comfy.jpg (600x800, 53K)

About 30 15mm skeleton archers. I managed to base them, but I have yet to find any free time at all. I'm not even saying this in the meme way, all I currently get is about an hour at midnight and after staring at screens for hours on end I just can't look at smol miniatures to paint them.

While we are on that, does anyone have good tips on basing individually based 15mm stuff? I tried salt but it soaks up too much glue and as a result you get a way too big heap. Sand is okay but only the very fine grained stuff and basing is still miserably slow.

Try bicarbonate of soda/baking powder and a cyanoacrylate super glue. Put a layer of glue down, dip into a pot of the bicarb and then tap and blow. Dries instantly and will look alright in scale for 15mm for ground. Mix with sand/very small rocks for some variation.

Thanks my dude, I'll try that. I still have at least 70 more skelletons to base and god knows how many odd things like tomb guard, ushabti or chariots so having a better way would help a lot.

Attached: hamster speedlines.jpg (1107x1107, 261K)

Another alternative is ash, if you happen to have a good source of that. You have to sieve out the bits, but it gets you some very fine, very cheap basing material

nice minis where can i find it?

Laser Storm is a generic 6mm ruleset from Nordic Weasel, models on the left are Vanguard, models on the right are onslaught

I have a whole bunch of TnT/Fallout minis to get started on because a I've finally switched from 40k to solo post apoc games.

Any idea on how to get some nasty mold lines on pewter - I have files, but, I'd have to file down a shitload of their material.

What kind of armies y'all doing?

Join the Wargaming Discord: discord.gg/T5sNNyu

So our setting is whatever sci-fi humans we want to cram into it, so I’ve got a kriegy style wwi force (originally meant to be epic Krieg), and an Engineers Without Ethics one with mutants, high tech stuff, and then some disposable plebs to keep the posh stuff safe.

Tons of BMG stuff, this weekend I'm aiming to paint Jason Blood, Etrigan and Arkham Knight. Might do some objectives as well, and get a start on my Rogues crew, but at this point it's not looking as likely

Painting table's got 12 goblin town orcs being finally finished. Just gotta liberally apply lustrian undergrowth, drybrush it, and touch up some toenails.
That still leaves me with 24 more. And two captains.
I don't even want to think about my historicals or Isengard at this point.

aww man, don't make me. it's definitely /awg/ worthy

If anyone is interseted in Dark age, ebay is about to flooded with the 2 players starters. Adepticon VIGs got free copies in the is swag bags. Same for guild ball 2 player starters.

I wonder how much people are gonna try to jack up the price.

Its back in stock on CMON, so probably not a lot.

Oooh, shiny. Wonder if it'll be at any kind of discount.

Most of 500 pts for Kingdoms of Man. A bunch of leftover stuff, too, like my GA Warband.

Maybe? It's a Mk IV. I'm more on the clicky- tech side of things so my knowledge of BT fluff is marginal. intentionally. The BT lore is blech.

Here's hoping. People list shit for stupid prices on eBay all the time.

Mantic needs better painters, the gargoyles on the box look even worse than the bare plastics do.
Which is saying something since they already don't look that good in person.

Attached: Delightfully devilish Seymore.jpg (1837x2722, 2.35M)

what about spackle or wall filler?

>Any idea on how to get some nasty mold lines on pewter - I have files, but, I'd have to file down a shitload of their material.
If it's big on a rough casting i cut it down a little with a knife before filing it.

Now I'm curious.

>Mantic needs better painters
They really do. With a nice paintjob these models look pretty good actually.
I wonder what their fishmen range would look like with a good paintjob. Now that GW is shoving their dick in the same niche mantic should make more of an effort.

Attached: mantic salamander ONE B 5.jpg (1276x474, 310K)

Aw shit, now I want to start a force of nature army when my KoM + Abyss army just started.

Hows my gaslands crew coming?

Attached: gaslands.jpg (3564x2328, 1.5M)

It looks good. I especially like the last one. Maybe there is a lack of weapons aboard.

Does anyone know what's the situation with Arena Rex?
Here in continental Europe the miniatures seem impossible to get.
Is the game still alive?

Attached: adepticon.jpg (640x640, 80K)

That man has one hell of a strong wrist, Jesus

When you're the kinda guy that rides a giant lizard half naked into battle, I think you can pull that off.

The blue trucks going to have an Ork shoota on the black post in the bed

What do you guys consider a reasonable distance to travel for war gaming? I haven't been able to find anyone local for years, but I've only ever looked at my local shop. There are shops that are about 40 minutes to an hour and change from my house. Is it reasonable to be making 2 hour round trips on a weekly basis?

For those interested: I'm in SoCal. Right smack dab between San Diego (40 mins) and LA (1 hour).

I know people in England that do similar distances for their weekly hobbies, so I’d say that’s as reasonable as the payoff seems to you. If the group’s crap, then maybe not, but if you enjoy it, it can easily be a worthwhile journey time. Come to think of it, i do 40 minutes to my friend’s for games.

To put it in perspective, there were two guys in /hwg/ who were really excited because they both lived in the Rockies.

Anybody would be so kind to please share a Gaslands pdf? The link I found in archive is gone.

>to solo post apoc games
hopefully this is just a stepping stone for you, user

to solo post apoc campaigns

Nah, I looked it up eventually and the Mk IV was a legit design. The Mk II was meant to generate ludicrous profit by being sold to other clans but did have a bunch sold to the Inner Sphere, and the Mk III was straight-up HEY SPHEREOIDS REMEMBER THAT RAD CLAN MECH THAT WRECKED YOUR SHIT, IT'S BACK AND YOU CAN BUY IT, BUY NOW FOR A LIMITED TIME, THE PRICE HAS NEVER BEEN BETTER never mind that it's only a medium IT'S GOT THAT SICK MAD CAT SILHOUETTE YOU CRAVE

Clan Sea Fox/Diamond Shark really are the best clan, from the backstory of their name to building a light mech with machine guns that can somehow rip motherfuckers to shreds by running up behind them and rolling a sandblaster load of dice.

Bumping

Not at home right now, but I'll see if I can dredge it up.

search the last thread, there's a whole osprey trove linked there

>ywn be a mountain cave dwelling vampire necromancer that preys on passing travellers
>ywn suck their blood and have an ever growing collection of skeletons and zombies that dig deeper in to the mountains over the centuries
>ywn command subterranean battles with the various other mountain inhabitants and carve a mountain Kingdom out between waring goblins, dwarves, giants and trolls

And so you must be content to collect figures and terrain.

Attached: Worried-anime-girl.jpg (500x430, 35K)

Thank you, found it!

Well, it's lead to me building a self contained post apoc setting/multiple campaigns. I'm actually trying to find ways to build 1:1 replicas of a couple of cities along the Ohio river. I think I've spent like 10x more on terrain than on minis...

Attached: ripped elves.jpg (2362x1772, 493K)

Elves with mustaches?

Nice. Lucid eye has a bunch of pretty dope minis by now.

Does anyone play Dracula's America? Show me your crews especially if they're Dark Conf. , cause I'm trying to find inspiration for building one and I'm afraid Northstar's official line doesn't do it for me.

Is there somewhere the pdf for Mad Dogs with Guns?

>and I'm afraid Northstar's official line doesn't do it for me.
what don't you like about it?
I know that black scorpion has some dope wild west minis. But I also really like the north star/crusader minis.

Perry also have pretty big ACW range, maybe you can find something you like better there.

Two days to paint a Kings of War: Vanguard faction? How bad can it be? Well they're not very good, but then the models aren't very good. Mold lines were easy to scrape on the PVC stuff though, so it seems Mantic changed material for something far worse post their first KoW Kickstarter. Either that or the properties change over half a decade sat in a box.

Attached: Basileans Complete.jpg (1500x820, 527K)

Yeah, the bold Basaliens were a bit of a train wreck from what I've been told.

Here's hoping the new Basileans and Northern Alliance turn out better, though anything even halfway competent would be in comparison.

Mantic's more recent stuff has been solid, material wise. I know ofbthe new Basalien stuff we've seen that I did them. I'm excited to see how the new Men-at-Arms turn out.

And yeah: Northern Alliance looks pretty awesome from the concept art we were shown.

I don't see another thread for this so... can we discuss this here? or should I go to a different thread?

Attached: swl01_anc_slider.jpg (1050x300, 78K)

Go for it.

Han shoots first in Legion.

Attached: swl20_sorry-about-the-mess.png (300x418, 224K)

You could try /swg/, but more people is always nice.

Imperial Commando when? REEEE!

I don't know if they'll do Clone Wars stuff.

>Imperial Commando
>Imperial
See.
Besides it would perfectly fit 501st Legion.

I hadnt seen that card, thats great

alright, sweet!

So whats everyones take on the game? For me, this is one of the best first impressions i've had for a mini's game. The rules seem pretty solid, if a bit simple. After 8 matches with just the base box (i'm a FLGS owner doing demos), i think imperials have the edge right now.

Hey fellas.
A buddy of mine and I are gonna start work on recreating the XCom 2 tactical game on the tabletop with miniatures. Now when I say as close to the game as possible, I mean down to the wire. Percent chance to hit, cover/defense, aiming bonuses, etc. We'll start basic, but eventually work up to adding equipment, upgrades, armor, you get the idea. Possibly even stats that build up later on, but we gotta walk before we can run.

What I'm looking for is some kind of comprehensive list or table with chance to hit values to start with. We can probably get everything we need just from playing the game but thought I'd ask and see if we can make the process go any faster? Anything else that might help us out?

We've both played 40k, Warmachine/Hordes, and Malifaux extensively but never tried anything smaller scale with such precise numbers before. Another worry of mine is point costs and balancing.

Help me out?

Attached: XCOM(EU)_PsionicSoldier.jpg (1949x1096, 996K)

I've yet to play it. I'm waiting to see what else is coming out for it. If we get Dewback Stormtrooper riders, I will throw all my money at FFG.

>All but two are doing very similar poses
>All spears but one guy

This would be fine for a large army but judging by their cost and their past ranges they're for skirmish games and have little variety. Poor effort imo despite how great they look individually.

>big unit of spearmen
>must be for a skirmish game because of their other ranges
Can't see any sensible logic in that

Swordpoint only works for gripping beast since SAGA uses only like 16 models in a box of 44.

I know the various incarnations of Fallout have all the internal workings explained on a wikia somewhere. So maybe you can find the same thing for X-Com.

Just for your information though: you are not the first person to come up with that idea there are a whole bunch of X-com homebrew games floating around the internet.

It definitely looks interesting. I've been tempted to buy Imperial Assault just for the minis before.

But FFG dropped the ball hard on their other supposed tabletop game.
So that precedent with FFG's usual business practices make me kind of wary of the whole thing.

I think the minis looks alright, but I've heard other people that say they don't look good. So that's interesting.

Attached: ffg legion swl01_photo_introshot1.jpg (700x467, 100K)

I'd say we can discuss Legion here, why not...

I got the game yesterday, and painted up my first Stormtrooper. Replaced the fugly base with a 32mm round base, the movement stick works with this too. The vehicle bases are fine-ish, they can stay, but I really hated the infantry bases. Too small and thick.

The figures are nice, even tho the details are somewhat shallow at places. Removing mouldlines are a bit of a pain.

Haven't read the rules fully yet, but hopefully we can try the game next weekend. The cards and stuff look nice, although normal sized equipment cards would have been nice. I'll pick up the expansions once I finished painting these figs.

Attached: DSCF5909.jpg (4000x3000, 2.69M)

I'm sorta on the fence about it. The lack ofnposing options and customization inherent to the models is a bit of a put-off, but apparently doing basic arm swaps and head swaps isn't terribly difficult. I just hate that they didn't give us that option.

Also the fact that the atarter doesn't give you enough stuff to play a legal game is a little irksome, if easily fixed.

I may look into it, but I'll probably wait until at least wave two is out to have some more options for army building.

Either that or I wait until they put in pirates and Hutt Cartels as playable factions.

They mentioned something along the lines of "creatures" being a unit type, so people are speculating Tauntauns and Dewbacks making an appearance.

I haven't figured out what the hubbub about the models is yet. They are pretty good, some shallow details, but nothing horrendous. I think its just people looking for something else to pick at the game because of their own issues with it.

I'm hate FFG upgrade cards and expansions practices, I'm just hoping it doesn't get to X-Wing levels of stupid, where they packaged cards to fix issues of older models in newer model kits. Course, I have no problem with just printing out cards to use, so as long as I can find their rules online, I'll be fine.

>and painted up my first Stormtrooper
Nice work. An army of those led by Vader would look great.
I think you are missing the black stripe above the lenses though.

>I may look into it, but I'll probably wait until at least wave two is out to have some more options for army building.
Yeah. That's why I would wait a bit as well. Rune Wars never got a second wave after the starter set at all. Or at least new miniatures, unless you count the separately boxed stuff from the starter.

Any suggestions on an alternitive LOTR SBG dragon? Price isn't an issue I just want a model that isn't as hideous.

Attached: Moria-Dragon.jpg (800x600, 44K)

Some Reaper Bones stuff would work nicely I imagine.

>Rune Wars never got a second wave after the starter set at all. Or at least new miniatures, unless you count the separately boxed stuff from the starter.
Actually it did. They put out command boxes with heroes, new units for the two armies in the starter, released two new factions and more stuff for those factions. Humans got heavy Crossbowmen, Undead got some skeleton knights. And there are more things coming out: scouts for humans, Undead are getting wraiths, swordsmen for Elves with huge fuck-you blades and something for the Yllan.

They've just been really low key about it.

Yeah, Reaper easily has ~40 or so different dragons.
If you are into old school sculpts you can also check out Ral Partha and Mirliton. Mirliton has some of the old Grenadier sculpts. Not super dynamic but some of them are quite beautiful.

If you are looking for a more modern dynamic take you could wait a little longer until HF have their drake gone. It's currently being sculpted, but it looks pretty promising.

Attached: mirliton black dragon DR001.jpg (567x617, 65K)

I kind of want to pick them up for the figures, but the expansions are really fucking expensive.

Huh. I never hear of the game again after the initial starter set was released.

I stand corrected.

>big unit
>10 men

All their other ranges focus on skirmish games, the cost of getting a unit of 20 of those elves would be £86. By what logic is that reasonable for a game based around large units of men? If you want larger battles the cost will only be even more ridiculous.

They're too expensive for anything but a skirmish game but they're too same-pose to look good in a skirmish game. If you look at the other figures they have produced they don't make this mistake and provide lots of variety. Either way, skirmish game or not its a poor business decision.

So, what's the deal with this game? Does it do anything interesting like X-Wing? Or is it just Imperial Assault+?

They are expensive, but if you can buy 15 spearmen without repeats I can't see how the unit size isn't meant to be at least somewhat substantial.

Buy a toy. Papo and Schleich are brands that come to mind - they're not great, but they're cheap, and repainting or just touching up the paint job can get you to tabletop standard pretty easily.

that looks pretty decent tbqh

They confirmed in an article on Beasts of War that an army in their game will be one 'thane' and six units of three 'companions'. So yeah pretty skirmish

Does anyone know where I could find dwarves like this?

Attached: 1521917436009.jpg (1200x959, 629K)

That looks as though you could take any fantasy Dwarves and mix them with a bolt action sprue (they sell just weapons too).
Alternatively look at Panzerfaust, which has Wehrmacht Dwarves, but they’re much less fantasy.

Pick a multipart plastic dwarf kit. Oathmark dorfs or maybe even GW skydwarfs might work. Then find rifles in the right size, which shouldn't be too hard. Last step is getting heads, for which most Imperial Guard alternative bits suppliers should get your back. You might need to sculpt the beards on, though. But that isn't the end of the world.
Make sure to equip them with shovels instead of axes.

Attached: how%2520to%2520sculpt%2520a%2520beard[1].jpg (800x319, 44K)

Warpath dwarves.

Attached: forgefathers.jpg (1000x667, 177K)

Hasselfree Miniatures. Their Grymm line is more "Dwarves by way of colonial marines", but they are similar.

Attached: grymm light infantry officer.jpg (600x339, 32K)

>what don't you like about it?
While not bad per se, I'm afraid I find them a bit too bland, with nothing that makes them pop up for me. They have the merit of having a pack of southern soldiers armed with guns, which is not something you see every day.
In the supernatural creatures' side, however, there are some hideous minis (Manitou, Chupacabra, Wendigo to name a few).

hes well cool

As
said mantic have some gret sci-fi dwarves and decent prices that are easy to customize.

>While not bad per se, I'm afraid I find them a bit too bland, with nothing that makes them pop up for me.
What would a historical mini pop for you though? You could also check out Warlord they also have a range of ACW minis.

I mean you can do a lot with a mini while painting it and converting historicals is pretty easy as well.

>In the supernatural creatures' side, however, there are some hideous minis (Manitou, Chupacabra, Wendigo to name a few).
I guess that's fair. Though I honestly never really understood what a chupacabra was supposed to look like anyway.
Wikipedia says
>The most common description of the chupacabra is that of a reptile-like creature, said to have leathery or scaly greenish-gray skin and sharp spines or quills running down its back.[13] It is said to be approximately 3 to 4 feet (0.9 to 1.2 m) high, and stands and hops in a fashion similar to that of a kangaroo.[14]
>Another common description of the chupacabra is of a strange breed of wild dog.[14] This form is mostly hairless and has a pronounced spinal ridge, unusually pronounced eye sockets, fangs, and claws. Unlike conventional predators, the chupacabra is said to drain all of the animal's blood (and sometimes organs) usually through three holes in the shape of a downwards-pointing triangle or through one or two holes.[15]
So you could also use any kind of repitle/lizardman/troglodyte/deep one sculpt you can find. And there are a lot of them around.

For the manitou you could substitue a skinny/undead werewolf. Reaper do a undead one.
Wendigo's could be proxied with ghouls in terms of what they are, or you could use Rangifiers from FG if you want the antlers. The Rangifiers looks really cool imo.

thanks ronnie

If price isn’t an issue, you could take a look at Mercedes miniatures dragons. The red one looks pretty awesome.

>Price isn't an issue
Mierce's Angrislaug gotcha senpai

Attached: MM_Mierce-Neuheiten-Maerz-Groessenvergleich[1].jpg (1390x1438, 267K)