/GURPSGEN/ Gurps General

It's /GURPSGEN/ where we actually very very occasionally get shit done

Big Boy edition

Question of the thread: What type of game are you currently playing / what type of game do you want to play?

Attached: GURPS general.pdf (PDF, 888K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/kRh5LB2c
warehouse23.com/products/caravan-to-ein-arris-gurps-fourth-edition)
wp.me/p3tZqv-p9
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

New and curious? Want your friends to play? Have a free resource which boils the game down to its essence: GURPS Lite.

Lite gives you the essential rules while stripping away the rest of the crunchy chaff. It also strips the list of traits down considerably, dropping supernatural, exotic, and most cinematic traits.

Full license: pastebin.com/kRh5LB2c
>you may distribute this PDF file freely under the above restrictions, and post copies of it online.

Also, be sure to check out the Caravan to Ein Arris, which is a FREE adventure which works with just the rules present in Lite. (warehouse23.com/products/caravan-to-ein-arris-gurps-fourth-edition)

Best advice I have for getting your friends to play: make pregenerated characters (full basic set optional) and give them a choice between them, use only the rules in Lite, run a one-shot and do something GURPS can do that other games struggle with.

Think of Lite as the core of the game, and the rest of the basic set, etc, as building off of that. It's super important that you remember that GURPS is modular. Rules are meant to be ignored, swapped, or added as needed to suit the tone and the fun.

Attached: GURPS 4e Lite with Cover.pdf (PDF, 2.95M)

Previous thread

GURPS is trash

>What type of game are you currently playing / what type of game do you want to play?

A whole lot of non-GURPS stuff at the moment. Just finished a WWII espionage game, going to re-start runequest soon, got a savage worlds space adventure going on... currently plotting more espionage stuff, possibly in the late Roman empire.

I'm digging Five Easy Pieces. My dream of playing as a thug boss in DF is one step closer. All I need now is a GM that'll let me buy Ally Groups of easily replaceable henchmen

>What type of game are you currently playing / what type of game do you want to play?
Preparing to GM a mission based on James Bond hijinks of infiltrating an island base and sabotaging the hell out of it.

So much trash I've played in it for ten years, happily.

New post up. Crossroads; like a movie about coming of age, but with more explosions

wp.me/p3tZqv-p9

Attached: LeNNy.png (446x330, 119K)

>1:50 Bomrek: “I’ve seen more giant monsters in the time I’ve been with this troupe than I see engraved into tunnel walls by miscreant children – And I /am/ counting the phallus monsters – I think some precaution is advisable.” he says, patting one cannon affectionately.

Yeah, 'Dolf is gold when he's there. Poor guy just had such an unweildy schedule.

Attached: Bomrek Zirilkeskal (2).jpg (591x591, 54K)

I hope you've donated to SJ Games recently.

Attached: BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY (Cramer).png (631x427, 14K)

how do i get good at minmaxing

I am a sinner and an essilarch

By gaining the maximum amount for the minimum trade-off.

Whatcha wanna do?

I wonder if remaking Trident from LT using Fantasy Tech's multi-edged weapon would turn it into a workable weapon.

Space Pirates campaign?

>wp.me/p3tZqv-p9

Such an interesting group and a lot of role-playing this time.

Decide what you are maximizing and focus on that, and aim for 'low hanging fruit' to maximize the points you have.

Take as many Disadvantages and Quirks as you can. These don't have to be meaningless, just make sure they hold you back in a way that doesn't hurt your specialty. Social and mental disadvantages for a combat-focused PC can hold you back a lot without touching your focus.

Find any perks or small advantages that really help your maximize-ing. Weapon Bond, for example, can give +1 to Skill Level for 1 point. If you can use Signature Gear to get a Fine (Accurate or Balanced) version of your weapon can often give you another +1 to SL for 1-3 points.

Favor skills over attributes. DX is wonderful, but it's quite expensive so avoid over spending on it and instead buy up the skill you need.

Attached: cape-en-coton-jardin-secret.jpg (2400x1600, 3.46M)

Can I ask why you want to do this horrible thing?
I've been a gurps GM for about 8 years now, and every minmaxer i've had the displeasure of playing with has been a horrible person. Just build interesting useful characters, not awful one trick pony trying to break the game bullshit.

>I wonder if remaking Trident from LT using Fantasy Tech's multi-edged weapon would turn it into a workable weapon.
Doesn't seem competitive with very fine, which costs the same and gives the same damage bonus but doesn't add weight or a skill penalty.

Stacking fine and double bladed saves a bit of money and of course being able to get up to +5 damage is good if you have a lot of money.

How about a triple-headed trident?

Attached: trident.png (600x343, 14K)

Knowing how to optimize a character doesn't mean you can't play well. In some cases you just need to build an effective PC on a small point budget for a dangerous setting/game.

Attached: wildgirl.jpg (500x702, 67K)

Why stop there?

Attached: tritritrident.jpg (1707x428, 65K)

Double Ended to remove U from parry.

Attached: double-tritritrident.jpg (1707x856, 128K)

Ok but minmaxing != optimizing.

A functional character is optimal. A minmaxed character is cheese.

LT Tridents come with armor multipliers though, and it already sports a -2.

A trident deals thr+3(0.5) imp or thr+4(0.5) imp if wielded in two hands. It costs $80, weighs 5 pounds, has Parry 0U one-handed, and comes with a -2 to skill.
Conversely, a triple-headed spear deals thr+2 imp or thr+3 imp at +2 per die; at it's very basic, it's thr+4/+5 without armor multipliers, and in the hands of a very strong fighter, damage could increase further. It costs $2k and weighs 9 pounds, has Parry 0, and maintains the same to-hit penalty. True, higher cost, weight, and ST are drawbacks, but ditching the armor divisor alone is huge, and the side-benefits of potentially higher damage and no U in the Parry stat are worth noting as well.

For instance, a functional character has at least one social skill, a few points in swimming/climbing, a claim to hospitality and a decent weapon skill.

The same character minmaxed has all of the points listed above spend just on the weapon skill. Minmaxers also inevitably take too many mental disadvantages and then think they can bullshit their way out roleplaying the broken mess of psychoses that they have wrought.

Sorry, I meant it's not competitive to add multiple heads to a spear compared to just making the spear better quality. It's a lot better than the LT trident.

We shall call it the March Madness.

Ohhh yeah, true enough there. +X/die really only helps sw weapons

I want to start playing. Tips on finding a group?

Online or in person?

Online is pretty simple so long as you're not in Central/East Asia, and in person depends entirely on the size of the town/city you live in and if your country even has an active tabletop community.

Is this for some sort of Age of Sail IN SPACE horror game?

The idea of fighting necromorphs with a cutlass and laserlock has me harder than diamonds.

Don't forget the cyborg macaw with crazed AI and vibroclaws

Check your local game shops. Even if there is only D&D running right now you can often find a GURPS game or start one there.

That's very, very true. Even when min/maxing I suggest you save 10% of your points for getting basically capable in a diverse set of skills.

I love GURPS for dead space style games. Cutting off limbs as a weakness is a perfect fit for GURPS.

Attached: 1519675254247.jpg (534x800, 55K)

>Cutting off limbs as a weakness is a perfect fit for GURPS.
Speaking of which, is there a better way to implement that than how they did in-game? Because in the actual games, it was just headshots by a different name, bonus damage, and it sometimes staggered the enemy.

>is there a better way to implement that than how they did in-game
what else could you want? A skill testing weak point for massive damage and a moments advantage to reload, run or do [x]... what else could you take from the situation?

>I love GURPS for dead space style games. Cutting off limbs as a weakness is a perfect fit for GURPS.
Noted :D

Attached: 1509758439918.jpg (1920x1080, 301K)

I'm not familiar with DS, so I might be missing something, but in GURPS, not having a limb anymore is a significant problem for most things. A missing leg slows you down, a missing arm reduces your ability to grapple at the very least.

Attached: woodenleg.jpg (468x711, 47K)

Online. I live in a small Southern town so the one comic book/gaming shop really only does magic the gathering.

Unfortunately, local game shop is mostly for magic the gathering. They have a shelf for role-playing books and they only ever have the same Pathfinder PHb, a single 3.5 DnD splatbook, and board games.

Post your cheatsheets guys. I'll start.

Attached: cheetsheat1.png (2480x3508, 5.68M)

Attached: cheetsheet2.png (2480x3508, 2.9M)

Attached: 1478990443462.png (2500x3250, 2.11M)

Attached: G_fencing.png (2011x2761, 1.79M)

Attached: G_more_fencing.png (3316x2780, 2.64M)

Attached: G_shotguns_extended.png (2668x1536, 2.29M)

Attached: Injury Recovery Cheat Sheet 1.01 eReader.pdf (PDF, 3.46M)

Attached: GURPS_injury_cheatsheet.pdf (PDF, 134K)

Attached: RPM_cheatsheet.pdf (PDF, 482K)

Seeing as the other stuff you've posted has been (rightfully) lambasted as unhelpful and as complex-looking as possible, I'm 80% sure you're trolling, but I'll still post the two I use

Attached: ManeuversPosture.pdf (PDF, 16K)

Attached: Hit Locations.pdf (PDF, 17K)

Regardless if it´s a good idea or not. To wield two one handed axes (ST 11), do I need to have ST 22 to not suffer any drawbacks?

Nope. you don't add the total ST of things you're wielding.

Anyway that's the last cheatsheet I have.

Attached: full_combat_cheatsheet.pdf (PDF, 302K)

You'd be 80% wrong there. I just dumped my whole folder of this. These are cheatsheets. The cheat is that you don't have to flip back and forth through the books.

Probably not. If the ST has a dagger (†), then yes, but I don’t think any do (for the swinging attack at least). Instead, they all sport double-daggers (‡), meaning you need triple the listes ST to one-hand them without drawback.

However, my Barbarian is currently one-handing a naginata, which is much easier seeing as it has ST 9†. Look at other polearms instead of 2H Axes since they’re almost all shit for some reason.

Why i can't start with "Dead Broke" for easy [25], and then complete some quests and live as middleclass adventurer? Why i should live in ditches, when my character have small pouch full of platinum coins, golden teeth grin and pimp fur coat from manticore manes, because i don't pay points to buy off Dead Broke

If you aren't buying it off and your GM gives you material wealth for you to keep, your GM is doing something wrong and gifting you those points.

If you want to increase your standard of living from 'living in the streets' to 'can afford a bed', you'll have to pay for it.

>do I need to have ST 22 to not suffer any drawbacks?
Having high ST is in general good idea for any melee dude.
But AFAIR 1-H axes have U-parry and dont give a fuck about your ST, so use two hatchets or with that ST 22 score you can take shield and 2-H weapon with ST no more than 11†

Because the GM is supposed to fuck you over until you go back to your cardboard box. Of course fucking over some random literal murderhobo does make some sense, why would respectable people even deign to pay you? It gets way fucking murkier at the levels above that though

Because if you get points for it, it has to inconvenience you in some way. Wealth is iffy and in most DnD esque games I'd say Wealth ONLY matters for starting money and probably price it differently.

Currently playing stuff what ain't GURPS.
Want to be playing almost anything, but trying to find time to prepare a Sleeping Dogs style cops-vs-triads campaign in GURPS between real life and the other games.

That's true most places as far as I can tell. My local is apparently pretty big into Magic and can host like... regionals? Something? I'm not into MtG and my usual guy moved to Japan so.
That said, I did discover that they have a couple games that meet there. So don't write it off just because they are 99% MtG, because it only takes 4 people and a free table to make a gaming group.

Wait so what's the advantage of AoA (Feint) over Deceptive Attack?

But why not bullet points though? Why the full text?

Feint can really significant reduce foe defence -- -1 AD per 1 MOS!, while Deceptive Attack is -1AD per -2 to YOUR skill, so with AOA (Feint) you still can have full skill to hit any of that sweet weak spots, allowing to obliterate your foes in 1-on-1 combat with relative not so high skills

I prefer Unkillable (1) monsters that are immune to knockout from negative HP. Shooting them deals lots of damage.. but doesn't stop them. They just keep coming, trying to kill you. A plasma cutter hit to the legs means they can't walk any longer and slows them down, while cutting off the arms greatly reduces their damage potential. Do arms and legs and the monster is still an asshole, but it's a harmless asshole.

Shouldn't that PDF open up a Mega.link or something? I was snapping up books for a game but now it won't load up proper.

Did you look through the pdf for a link? It works for me.

That's how it usually works for me, but in this case it just opens as an image, I just get the cover-art with no scrolling, or I just get a blank tab.

Firefox, if anyone cares to help on that front.

What's your favorite genre to play using GURPS?

>not G_fencing2
do you even organize?

I'm also on Firefox and just tested it before I responded. It's got to be your browser, maybe clear the caches?

Things are going, just, supergreat

Attached: supergreat.png (925x786, 1.87M)

however, this happened today

Attached: Gray, brick shithouse.png (394x757, 50K)

Is Gray grappling that giant tentacle thing?

I guess this answers me.

How would you represent something like being unable to turn off mage sight, and constantly bombarded with weird metaphysical bullshit that the character may or may not be able to interact with? Something like Detect Magic and Aura but also seeing spirits that are normally invisible.
The hallucination rules in the Basic Set are lacking.

Always On?

Cyberpunk or High TL Post-apocalyptic

Is there a way to reflect always-on effects that affect friendly and enemy targets equally within an area of effect?

Attached: Grimwyrd, simplified.png (282x102, 13K)

As far as I can tell, that's how it is by default. If you want to discriminate, you need the Selective Area modification.

heheheheh

Attached: Such bomrel.png (391x204, 17K)

IT's on the ropes!

Attached: bit safer now.png (875x709, 1.52M)

Ever the poetic one, the elf

Attached: badass.png (392x118, 10K)

Mild Flashbacks (-2 on rolls) but rather then flashbacks, it's horrors and strange things you see with Sight that penalize you. You could also add Phobias to certain things, with the added twist that other people might not be able to see them.

The party is victorious! After a hard won battle against evil, Jadeite is dead, his goons reduced to Ash and goo, and IT is a broken heap of burning flesh and pooled ichor.

They hold the Grey blade, the last artifact if power to work the Ansible.

The gate network is infected with the evil taint of The Darkness.

A single passage to the device remains.

The party patches up, reloads, and gets ready to step through to the Ansible...NEXT WEEK ON GRIMWYRD

Attached: 1515866017691.jpg (1600x900, 173K)

I like the -2 to rolls, but I'm not the stress-trigger is quite what I'm looking for. It's the closest I've seen so far, though, thanks for the help.

If you have another dimension of spiritual existence on top of reality
And those invisible spirits can be sensed with a Detect power
And those spirits are horrifying and have Terror-like power to instill fright checks

Then what you're looking for is detect(always on, uncontrollable) and the fright checks are just built as normal for the enemies.

Did Gray get the Grey Blade? Is it now Gray's Grey Blade?

Thanks, this is pretty elegant.

Can we have one of those "what worked what didn't" summaries? It would be useful for someone like me that doesn't get the chance to play often and want to avoid fun-killing mistakes.

Attached: Mind Frayer.jpg (2000x2000, 420K)

Ayyyyyy I kill you last
They did recover it, but the magic tie is severed

I do something very similar in Grimwyrd. Gray can detect the spirit plane, let's him see the invisible silent things crawling in every shadow and corner.

Pray tell, what the hell? I'm not picking up what you're putting down

>Pray tell, what the hell? I'm not picking up what you're putting down
From Player point of view: What kind of advantage, skill, spell and equipment were most useful? Which one was disappointing? Useful tactics in combat? Any fancy move that turns out didn't work?
From GM point of view: What kind of challenges you threw to your players that had a nice outcome, like interesting roleplay exchanges, difficult but enjoyable fights? Anything you regret, like accidentally killing PC where you didn't want to have such risk, plot hook missed by PCs, any "derailing" you didn't expect? Maybe some loot table or GM techinque you learned on your way?

Oh! Like a full on Grimwyrd synopsis and analysis...

Hummmm......

Gimme a sec here, but yeah, lemme bang something out

Attached: 1474916989761.jpg (736x1041, 63K)

>From Player point of view:
> What kind of advantage, skill, spell and equipment were most useful?
The PC's all invested intelligently in as much armor they could get away with, where dodge and move wasn't fucked. Run and gun players. Very smartly built.
Great use of Healer, Regeneration, and Detect:Magic as well as Detect: Spirits. Keeping the party alive and well informed was key, throughout
> Which one was disappointing?
I tried to push a bunch of artifacts on the party; in the end a few we're totally forgotten about(the Fae spear, the Crystals of Night) and others were essentially player agency plot devices(the ogre blade and Fae sword). Arguably, this was due to half assed ruling on my part that didn't get detailed out and written down; they stayed thematically consistent in effect, but I never gave a stat block other than "Fine weapon, magical".
>Useful tactics in combat?
Holy shit Gray was king at tactics. Sword an board, slams, kicks, grouping mastery, sacrificial blocks kiting. You name it, he had it locked down 99% of the time.
Suõri and Bomrek getting a heap of cheap muskets was a genius move. They treated them well and made sure they were prepared at all times. Best tactics for the period, hands down.
> Any fancy move that turns out didn't work?
I wish Roderick had more opportunities to genuinely duel a fucker. But plot happened. A lot.

Attached: 1515677998364.jpg (462x809, 60K)

>From GM point of view: What kind of challenges you threw to your players that had a nice outcome, like interesting roleplay exchanges, difficult but enjoyable fights?
I had no idea Deloth-Ainur would be come such a hit npc. Also, I never thought I could be so mean to elves for so much payoff.
>Anything you regret, like accidentally killing PC where you didn't want to have such risk, plot hook missed by PCs, any "derailing" you didn't expect?
Half of what I wanted to do with the Fae court never happened. Most of the development of the scorned in chapters 1 and 2 sucked. Gorgoth was just a big empty space with combat. Not barley enough life there. Half of that I at least blame on nacent roll20 skills which matured after a while, but still. UGH.

> Maybe some loot table or GM techinque you learned on your way?
Holy fuck; Pinterest is a gold mine of mapping. Also, getting a handle on Gimp, Google and DnDjinni was worth it. That end emotes.

Attached: 1515818218034.jpg (1280x1707, 390K)

In the end if things; I know everyone has always had fun. I just wish I was less amorphous and more solid with my rulings. Actually writing down what shit did and sticking to that, always, to avoid inconsistency or contradictions. That way the players can plan ahead, build on what's know, and work into the unknown from there.

That said, I really got to Foster the feeling of discovery and exploration I was going for. It matured over time (and I used cliffhangers a lot) but discovering the world through interacting with it was my favorite part of Grimwyrd. Hell, half of the lore was written in a one on one format of players(mostly Bomrek) asking questions (always Bomrek) about how the damn world worked. We started from a baseline, but wrote it communally. I kinda wish I got more time with Gray and Rod about their parts of the world, but they were champs and stuck it out through my hamfisted series of escalations.

Solid 5/7 game. Would run again.

Especially if next week goes the way I expect it to

Attached: 1518273226325.jpg (1187x1119, 311K)

Also, it's implicit that I'm gonna continue cranking out backlogged AAR chat log dumps of Grimwyrd, until either the logs finish or I expire. So there's that.

Attached: 1487814357423.png (652x826, 317K)

Thanks for the write up, saved.
Detect Magic/Spirit sounds really useful in setting like Grimwyrd. I'd guess they avoided plenty of dangerous magical traps and ambushed by angry ghosts thanks to it?
I have a soft spot for melee fighters so I'll keep my eyes open for Gray's logs.
Never heard of DnDjinni, will check that one.