/5eg/ - 5th Edition General

We dont negotiate with terrorists edition slash, actually making a new thread and not just replying edition
>Unearthed Arcana: It's fucking nothing
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_preview_duergar.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously on /5eg/:
→ →

How often has your players/party turned against those who have hired them? Is it because of the actions of the hiring party, were they given a better offer, or did they just decide to say fuck it?

Attached: stealth dwarf.jpg (519x705, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U6GfKgE8zb0
youtube.com/watch?v=UUYL75r3QOI
youtube.com/watch?v=L1pCxXrorKM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>How often has your players/party turned against those who have hired them?

We did once when we were hired by a Wizard who later turned himself into an Owlbear.

Are those guys inspired by anything in particular? Anything from the monster manual or real life myths?

Attached: 119794-LivingStatue2.png (400x397, 125K)

Why is portent such absolute fucking bullshit

There already was a thread.

I have to ask what WotC were thinking to themselves when they decided that what would really build hype for a new book was to release a page for a subpar race

Fuck off, paizofag.

That thread is the fake thread.

And we would be fine to use said thread, if people weren't explicitly and openly saying that they were making the threads in order to try to rile up /5eg/ *AND* Veeky Forums as part of their personal soap box. Stop doing that, and we will be more than happy to use the threads - no one really gives a shit who creates them, as long as the person creating them isn't actively trying to shit up things.

I am just .. Kind of wondering why.

They grabbed the first page they could find when they realized they didn't have a UA.

And stops using shitty non-fantasy pictures.

That's part of it. Absolutely.

Living Statues? I'm not particularly familiar with anything, first google that comes up is just talking about Pygmalion.

>I am just .. Kind of wondering why.

Are you actually wondering why he turned or why we attacked? Cause that happened a year ago so I just remember he was dieing from a trap and put his mind in the Owlbear body. We killed him cause we had some disagreement on something that was really important. I think it had to do with another party member.

>mages are the best because they can cast plane shift the barbarian can't do that
Nigga that is NPC-tier shit. I tell the king to get his archmage to do it and he will. Come back when you're the god of murder.

Repost from last night, but:

Working on a one-shot (not!kuo-toa building a god) for some friends to test some shit out. I have a few baddies lined up depending on what they do, but does anyone else have suggestions? Current location is on a tight chain of tropical islands (reefs, shoals, sand, and a tiny jungle with a temple). Here's what I have:
>dragon turtle guarding a sunken ship (negotiable type unless they are actively stealing)
>tigers, snakes, and sharks (beastie critters)
>yuan-ti cult
>giant enemy crab
>fishermen (ripe for the sacrificing)
>bird of prey (level appropriate roc)

Any other ideas?

Attached: joblin.png (500x318, 37K)

Why did you turn on him though? Does your group really hate owlbears or something?

>They grabbed the first page they could find when they realized they didn't have a UA.

It definitely feels that way. Like they don't even show off the full section for the Svirfneblin just a little bit of some race backstory shit.

Krakens.

Attached: kraken.jpg (500x548, 108K)

Just one kraken is more than enough. Those things have crazy CR.

No we almost attacked him when we met him but he was able to communicate with us so we stopped and helped him for awhile until he started acting weird and then we had a full out disagreement and he attacked. I'll have to ask my group what caused us to fight cause I can't remember the full reasoning.

What's your favorite race/class combination?

Wood Elf fighter speced into bow.

Thought about it, but I'm trying to keep away from things that would overtly be a "well we should just worship this thing"; I'm gunning for them to take some random treasure bits and craft their own, arts and crafts conclusion and all.

Halfling druid. People tend to automatically think of elves for druid, but something about halfling druids just feels right, and you get to play the underestimated little guy who isn't always so little.

I still really want to do a tiefling paladin of conquest/infernal warlock, but I've yet to do so. I've not been super spoken to by most of the class/race combos yet.

Anyone got a song for a peaceful town that has just the subtlest hint of malice? Running CoS and my players are about to hit Vallaki.

WOTC has just chained you to a radiator in their basement. You are commanded to find a way to successfully add Truenaming back into Dungeons and Dragons 5e. If you fail, they will hack you up slowly and feed you to your family. Succeed, and Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson will descend from RPG Heaven to run a game of your choice. You also might be set free.

How do you do it?

Attached: 1410614304399.jpg (800x600, 115K)

Using one of the Tiefling subraces and go Paladin.

Dwarf cleric and tiefling paladin.

I'm a big fan of Goblins and Rogues

>How often has your players/party turned against those who have hired them?

Somewhat frequently, I think it might be because our DM loves making evil quest givers that lie and don't give us all the details, and then we find out their real motivations and have to turn against them.

It gets a little tiring. I'd like just a straight forward adventure.

I need help creating a character that serves Helm, the god of guardians. Just what classes/archetypes to go into. I rolled pretty good stats. 18, 13, 18, 11, 17, 8. And I was considering being a protector Aasimar. The main problem I'm having is, my DM told all of us "Imagine your character late game as a godlike entity." So I kinda wanted to craft this character to be the avatar of Helm.

Cleric is the biggest one, but then there's paladin.. and then warlock was interesting in terms of kit for hexblade but thematically doesn't match.

Attached: helm.png (303x206, 148K)

Tiefling Warlock, fucking fight me.
Human Sorcerer is a close second, though.

Paladin for sure. It seems like it's be a perfect fit for you.

youtube.com/watch?v=U6GfKgE8zb0

or

youtube.com/watch?v=UUYL75r3QOI

Goblin Wizard

youtube.com/watch?v=L1pCxXrorKM

Cloak of Elvenkind, any reason to ever put the hood down? I mean, I guess if you want to be noticed.

>While you wear this cloak with its hood up, Wisdom (Perception) checks made to see you have disadvantage. and you have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide, as the cloak's color shifts to camouflage you. Pulling the hood up or down requires an action.

Attached: hyperstealth-quantum-stealth-field-sniper-mock-up-640x353.jpg (640x353, 77K)

this

And Human Cleric

It does fit pretty well. What Oath?

Have you talked to him?

That can be really fun when its a one off thing, but when all the NPCs are just dicks it becomes a matter of .. Why not just be a murder hobo.

Rolled 1 + 7 (1d20 + 7)

test

Zealot Barbarian. Death is no longer an obstacle for you.

Maybe if you're in the city or a social situation? The random dude standing around in camouflage is a bit out of place.

See but I kinda wanted to wear heavy armor.

Attached: light_of_the_emperor_by_kingmong.jpg (664x1200, 96K)

Have you ever been to America?

Attached: 292.jpg (600x375, 90K)

Actually as an expansion of this one, for /5eg/, what are your favorite monsters, and have you ever tweaked them or refluffed them to fit mythological inspirations?

He keeps going on about how he really likes how his world is morally grey, and "man weren't you guys surprised when his version of events was different from his perspective" and I'm like "well it was more like he lied"

I'll have to bring it up with him if it happens too much more, but shit, I don't wanna DM again so I'mma just humor him for a while.

I would argue there's a difference between active camoflague that you're maintaining, and just 'this is a camo pattern'.

But I mean, sure, go redneck dude. See if you can't find the closest equivalent to walmart.b

>any reason to ever put the hood down?
Well people would probably look at you funny if you were walking around town wearing magical camouflage. I mean if I were an honest shopkeep and some dick came in not only keeping his hood up but also changing colors and shit, I'd be pretty quick to call the guards.
The better question is how it takes a whole god damn action to flip a hood up/down.

But that's not morally grey, and he should realize that.

>The random dude standing around in camouflage is a bit out of place.
Ironic, innit?

Devotion or Redemption would be a good fit for you.

"All clothes must be camo" is more like the Primal classes going around in hides everywhere, always, though. It's a social statement. That camo isn't helping them to blend into jack.

Whats the best Cleric to multiclass into as a fighter?

War if you don't have a method of making a bonus action attack

Why are you wanting to multiclass into fighter?

Depends on the kind of camo

War, possibly tempest.

Other way around and for fluff.
Hows light?

>not wearing half plate to get that sick armor aesthetic while also showing off your perfect muscles and divine physique
>as you grow stronger, your armor becomes purely decorational, as no steel could even begin to compete with the quality that is you

>Tfw you're gonna be late to a session because of work

Why is life so cruel

>Travellers, being the precious snow flakes that they are, will no doubt have dived right into this book and started making lists of all the items they think they will need in the next adventure. This is as it should be, but referees will have an interest in limiting the availability of more exotic items of equipment in order to maintain the balance of their own campaigns, and to keep special items special.

Why aren't you using a system that has built-in limits to what gear the PCs can get, /5eg/?

Attached: 1521839345889.jpg (489x516, 48K)

Well if you start fighter you have heavy armor, can multiclass into something that doesnt have heavy and profit. If you're going for fluff ... What is the fluff? That should decide your domain, not the mechanics.

I'm tempted to say go laser cleric, or heal cleric.

>Why aren't you using a system that has built-in limits to what gear the PCs can get, /5eg/?
we do, it's called the DM.

Light doesn't really do much for you. Pick something with divine strike, not potent spellcasting.

Is that greentext supposed to be an example of that? Just looks like it's saying GMs should handle it to me.

Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer. Take the Dragon Wings feat from UA: Feats for Races and have 4 wings. The benefits don't stack but I like the mental image, it makes me think of Digimon.

The fluff is that he found religion. Just trying to decide the flavour of religion.
War could work too.

Traveller's system:
>Determine the Law Level of the world, and determine which items would be restricted or not
>If such an item is legal, then you roll a Broker check (Which is basically the "Trading" skill)
>Penalties to the roll if the item is specialized, for Military use, several steps away from the Tech Level of the world you're on, and if the planet has low population or certain trade codes
>Bonuses to the roll if you're willing to pay double the price of the item, if you're in a high class starport or in a densely populated world
>If such an item is illegal, you have to use the Black Market, which adds multipliers on the price of the item based on the Law Level and the Category of the item
>If you fail the roll by a significant margin then Law Enforcement gets involved, and the response will vary based on what item is being purchased and how well equipped the buyer is, and based on how badly you failed the roll
>If you get arrested then you either get a fine or any other punishment which can be reduced if you make a successful Advocate (Basically Diplomacy for law-related things) check

I'd like for a DM to make up a fucking side plot on the spot for buying a fucking magic item

wow that sounds really tedious

You could be a nature cleric and grab shillelagh if you want to be able to pump your wis and not have to worry about str/dex, but you'd have to use a quarterstaff or club.

Pretty much anything in any direction can be done. I feel like personally I would find Nature or something more interesting, just because its a step back from the warlike nature and legitimately represents changing his world view. Going Tempest or War (if you have no bonus action conflict) are more powerful and fit the idea of a soldier that has truly embraced the soldiering side, but they are also more directly mechanically powerful to you and feel like a step back from the fluff part. Similarly a Life cleric who got tired of the killing; or a Death cleric who assists in making sure death comes to those at its proper time.

I'm conflicted on whether your taste is great or shit. It's a strange feeling.

What fighter archtype?
If battlemaster id go war, unless youre xbx or dw.
If your an ek id go tempest and be able to throw out maximised booming blades. But the reaction attack is pretty baller for any fighter.
Life isnt bad if you want to get the most healing out of the few slots you get.
Nature actual wouldnt be terrible in that you can change up your damge type. Itd actual let you be a wis only fighter. Do a club and shield or pam 1/4staff if you want to powergame

It only applies to really out-there items that wouldn't be something you could go to a local town/spaceport to buy
If your PCs wanted to buy a rare magic item in a big city, why shouldnt the trader guy be far better at finding it than the random fighter dude

>spoiler
Take a level in gunslinger, grab some pistols, glue some spikes to your head/elbows/wingtips/knees, strap on at least 4 belts and you're right on the money.

Not that guy, but you gave me an idea
>have 15 str for heavy armor/14 dex for medium armor
>as high wis as possible
>take 1 level of druid or nature cleric
>take shillelagh and use quarterstaff with shield
>go fighter the rest of the way, pumping wis and taking feats like sentinel, PAM...
How good would this be?

Would it be too much to ask of my players to present a conlang in-game and task them with deciphering it (with help to guide them on it, of course) and learning to speak it?

Yes.

Some people are going to be all about that, but you're talking about VERY specific people. If they're into that kind of thing, they're into that kind of thing. If not, you're burdening them quite a bit with outside of DnD homework.

Why are you asking us instead of your players?

Half-Elf Warlock

Makes sense, getting the magic item the players want in my experience usually takes a full blown sidequest

It's a wizard/warlock subclass now,can I go?

Could be all right, but it's a big investment to max your wis and only get shillelagh out of it spellwise. I'd rather just start in fighter and then go druid from 2 on if I wanted the armor proficiency that bad. Or be a dwarf.

Truenamers are dumb, serve me with bbq sauce.

If character death is supposed to be rare, why do monsters like mind flayers exist?

How is the DM supposed to set up an encounter with such a creature without seeming blatantly unfair?

Just because there's the option for dangerous opponents, doesn't mean that you have to use them. Mind flayers harken back to earlier and much more lethal editions.

>tfw getting drunk and insulting the namby-pamby elves in Dwarvish with the Dwarf Cleric
>none of them can speak Dwarvish so they have no clue what we're saying
As God intended

Tore two sheets last session, most I've killed in one round - wasn't even trying to, just had extremely dumb and unlucky players. Looking forward to popping my TPK cherry now.

Attached: 1517789060930.png (600x600, 327K)

>If character death is supposed to be rare
Is it? I mean I don't expect to have 3 characters lined up just in case but I roll up to every session knowing that character death is a possibility.
Regardless, one monster does not a trend make. Mind Flayers and Intellect Devourers are hardly the standard, they're merely there as an option.

Because I don't, uh, have players yet. More specifically, I'm already running a different campaign in a different game.

If a druid wild shapes into an asexual animal, can they give birth to a wild shaped druid?

No. They don't literally become the animal, they just take on a semblance of its shape. They can't reproduce while wildshaped.

In 5e characters are remarkably sticky. There are like 6 resurrection spells of varying qualities. There is no way to instantly die RAW other than taking negative max HP, disintegrate, or power word kill. Death Saves are radically in the favor of players, with 50% of them being success, 5% instantly preventing bleed out, and only 45% actually bleeding out. In addition, it takes minimum of 2 rounds to bleed out unless the enemies are eating or beating your corpse. A medicine check of DC 10 is hilariously easy to prevent death saves entirely. A healing instantly picks a player back up, wiping death saves.

Player's are incredibly sticky, you have got to be trying to outright kill a player in order to do it.

Aren't you answering your own question then? If it's normally not likely a PC will die, the occasional more risky situation doesn't seem unfair, just more serious.

So, if you fuck a woman while you're wildshaped into a horse, she could get pregnant?

I feel this could be debatable. What exactly "assuming the form of" could mean anything. Polymorph uses the word "transforms", while Alter Self uses the word "assume". The caveat comes in under the "Change Appearance" subsection, which is arguably what wild shape is, and seeing as moon druid's get it, even stronger. Under that section it lists:
>You transform your appearance.

I guess it would be up the the DM in question, and whether they want to engage in magical realm or not.

Different user. In my game, players have almost died quite a few times. Almost. It's never happened though, yet.

This is a question that should not answered

Ask loki, he'd know

Attached: The_children_of_Loki_by_Willy_Pogany[1].png (800x442, 28K)