/edhg/ - EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

A Return to Order Edition

When Last We Left Our Heroes: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Also unofficial, also GOAT search interface.
scryfall.com

>Thread Question
When the collective boardstate has become too chaotic for your tastes, how do you return order to the game?

Attached: restorebalance.jpg (223x310, 31K)

>Thread Question
the blue mage classic

Attached: rtr-35-cyclonic-rift.jpg (672x936, 195K)

>TQ
play scrambleverse.

>When the collective boardstate has become too chaotic for your tastes, how do you return order to the game?

I kill a player.

Attached: Image[1].jpg (223x310, 28K)

>Thread Q
I kill the problem player with a blue fireball.

Attached: mbs-20-blue-sun-s-zenith.jpg (672x936, 200K)

Has anyone here mentioned yet that Spiritulize doesn't actually combo with Firesong and Sunspeaker?

Is this the Brawl thread?

Attached: 1460623005667.png (1127x685, 37K)

it does. When an instant or sorcery creates a delayed trigger, the source of the effect is the instant or sorcery.

Oldie, but goodie.

Attached: Oblivion Stone_MR.jpg (488x680, 118K)

I'm afraid not. Check Reddit, I'm sure they have something for it.

No. Ask the Standard thread.

i remove everything and my robots clean up

Attached: soulsocur.jpg (223x310, 24K)

The source of the actual life gain is not the spell.

Don't take my word on it, though. Ask a judge if you don't believe me.

>thread question

this or copying/hacking wash out

Attached: mm2-1-all-is-dust.jpg (672x936, 260K)

I like how sun titan pulls this back out.

no problem.
I've been running a jor kadeen EDH for about 5 years now, those are just cards I can think of or saw in the deck when I flipped through, and these are the cards that have really stuck around through the years.

Alesha, Who Smiles at Death is illegal in your deck because it's WBR color identity, not boros
Your draw is terrible, what with being boros and all. Consider Mind's Eye, Skull Clamp, maybe some wheels like Reforge the Soul
Small creatures like Elite Vanguard generally aren't worth running. You have to chew through 120 life worth of opponents, a random bear with no abilities is not worth a card slot.
You need more cards to not get BTFO'd by wraths, stuff like Faith's Reward.
I'm generally not a fan of anthems that do nothing else, especially in a deck that's not a dedicated token deck. Would cut those.

Not sure if this is the path you want to go down, but one of the few actually Good Things boros can do is lay down a board and then armageddon. You've got access to basically all of them in red and white.

In general, cut out all your shitty small

have to disagree with you on anthems, dictate of heliod for example is fucking insane and can lead to massive combat blowouts and i've won way too many games on the back of true conviction

also i find armageddon effects are a bit too risky, you have to be ahead or they're useless, and if you fall into the trap of playing them when you're behind, you're just an asshole.

i agree with your other advice.

>brawl is a rotating format
>can't just be Ixalan-forward 60 card commander
YOU BLEW IT

Thank you

Thank you, noted

Have to sell those standard boosters somehow :^)

When an instant or sorcery creates a delayed trigger, the source of the effect is the triggered ability.

I love that card so much.

I appreciate the advice. I'm not big on tribal, but I may try my hand at artifacts or enchantments again. The synergies I prefer are between mechanics and cards kind of coming together to form something bigger than the sum of their parts. That's kind of what I was looking for in Grixis Marchesa, but I didn't get the feeling of building up a board state despite the nice value I was acquiring between her ability and other recursion effects. I may give her another shot, but that'll be on the back burner for now.

what's a fun tribe that's not goblins, slivers, zombies or dinos?

I've always been partial to pic related. I also really love Coercive Portal, but so far, every time I've had the chance to use it, I'm the one who has the most to lose.

Attached: m15-224-perilous-vault.jpg (672x936, 263K)

Moonfolk.

Attached: c13-64-uyo-silent-prophet.jpg (672x936, 262K)

soldiers is good if you like to get involved in combat and you like winning through attrition
dragons is good if you like hitting people for massive damage in the air
pirates actually seem pretty fun but i've only played the deck 3 times.

>didn't buy paradox engine when it was 6 dollars because I thought it'd go lower as long as AER is in standard, forgot about it, now it's 12 dollars
I am a fool.

It doesn't. I'm sorry user. It was just some dude on reddit jumping the gun.

You ARE running Madcap Experiment, right?

Fishmen.
Wizards.
Elementals.

>When the collective boardstate has become too chaotic for your tastes, how do you return order to the game
I ape out

Attached: 1521506932555.jpg (1024x768, 162K)

I add more chaos

Attached: Image (3).jpg (223x310, 31K)

RATS

Attached: 1517157765591.jpg (480x600, 43K)

gay elves and cute angels are fun

Attached: Untitled.png (1355x1879, 3.57M)

bird wizards

newish here, how does cute angel girls ramp to 8 mana in pure white? or is it multi color?

Mono white.
There's like hardly any ramps.

Do you just plan on surviving long enough to get 8 mana? lots of life gain etc

board wipe every second turn form turn 4 onward, deck shoul have minimum 18 boardwipes, white is the reset button color

oh ok that makes sense then. always wondered how all these high cost white decks worked.

Yeah, what this fella said I need more though. Recommendations for some? Annihilation being the real stinker

who should i pair with Tana if I want to play temur elves?

You can just Faith's Reward them lands right back baybee

This ends up in all of my blue decks for one reason or another.

>tfw sold like $300 worth of cards in the last two weeks
Thanks Modern
I'm gonna buy an LED and YawgWill at the least, what other funky-ass shit should I buy with the remainder?

>Faith's Reward
Nobody in my group plays white. They think it sucks.

Hydras or krakens

its the best card in the format besides sol ring. but for some reason some retards in this board wont accept it

It doesn't target, it doesn't hit your creatures, its instant speed, and you can use its single target version if your opponent just tossed something out that will end you if you're low on mana.

Which is why you should play it. It's a one-sided more expensive Second Sunrise and it kicks ass

>Sol ring
>Cyclonic Rift
>Implying either of these is better than Mana Crypt.

You are bad and you should feel bad.

Let's try to ignore cards over 80 dollars as a general rule.

>normal lili price is the same as the ftv price

do you want a flat card or a C-shaped card?

i wanted a price drop

>not wanting liliana bracelets fresh out of a pack

>Thread Question
Ruination or a Price of Progress copied a bunch of times. I play only basics in my Wort deck and run a shitload of nonbasic hate.

Attached: 95.jpg (312x445, 62K)

Food Chain and Mind Over Matter are two more reserved list high tier combo pieces. Palinchron, too

How much longer until land spoilers? I’m getting close to ordering sets of Time Spiral basics instead.

Attached: 21E3836A-D5A7-49C8-A058-FD1017856436.jpg (312x445, 75K)

You sound like the kind of person to have a microwave in their bathroom.

The only allowable basics are Unhinged, foil 7th edition, or old World Championship basics with the tap symbol on them

How to tune a mill deck in EDH? I run Kess and I just built it a few days ago and I'm fine tuning it constantly. What are some not-so-obvious things I should include?

Attached: o5IKlzE[1].jpg (265x370, 29K)

I'm going to reiterate a post I saw the other day
I've never seen someone resolve a cyclonic rift and lose. But unlike most other oneshot 'i wins' such as insurrection, triumph of the hordes, blightsteel etc. it doesn't actually *win* the game, it just puts everyone so disgustingly far behind and it lets the blue durdle cunt slowly win because there's just no way to beat such a ridiculous card advantage and board state swing. That and there's literally no counterplay to it, outside of a counterspell. You can't make your dudes hexproof, indestructible, regenerate or even redirect the spell. At best you can do something like ghostway but that's pretty damn unlikely.

Maybe y'kno, we're all overreacting a bit, a wincon is a wincon, sure, but it's in *every fucking blue edh deck under the sun*

I know not every red deck runs insurrection,not every green deck has triumph of the hordes, and not every white deck runs MLD, but when you shuffle up with a blue deck you know guaranteed there's a rift in there and if he casts it, lol i guess everyone loses.

I sound saltier than I am, I don't actually deal with rift very often in my meta, but there's very clear and obvious reasons why people really hate playing against it. It just straight up feels bad. It's like being punched in the gut every time it resolves. Maybe manacrypt is more bullehit, maybe some other high mana sorcery is actually more powerful, maybe fucking ramp spells are too powerful, but the difference is, playing against those doesn't feel like being gut punched, they feel like a challenge to overcome, or a sudden twist on how the game will play out. When cyclonic rift resolves you just go 'ugh' and roll your eyes because the interesting board state is gone and blue mage is probably going to win over the next 3 turns.

Point is, sometimes un-fun cards are worse than overpowered ones.

Whoa, this turned into a rant.

Attached: setsumexcited.gif (280x158, 1.69M)

Altar of the brood is solid

I'd like to add that I don't really think rift should be banned, but I 100% agree with people who say it's un-fun and can ruin otherwise good games.

If you really want to improve a mill deck, take out all the cards that mill.

I personally would never run any mill unless it's a huge effect or it mills multiple players.

Grab some jester cap effects, being able to snipe out good cards while also supporting your mill strategy will be helpful. Sadistic sacrament is a good exmaple

also stick a Lazav in there somewhere. You can get some absolutely bonkers stuff when you mill.

What do you think about this guy? I'm thinking about replacing my Sidisi as commander with him. The only thing I'm afraid of is that you just play the same cards over and over again with him and that he might be powerful but really boring.

Attached: muldrothathegravetide.jpg (265x370, 41K)

looks a bit like karador but more expensive desu

Karador is only for creatures. Muldrotha is for any kind of permanent. I believe he really has potential to be broken.

>during each of your turns you may play animate dead from your graveyard

Attached: animeisdead.jpg (240x345, 87K)

possibly but it's also harder to get non-creatures in your graveyard, and you still have to cast them.

I dunno, feels too mana intensive.

I think he's potentially a very strong stax commander

Attached: ody-102-standstill.jpg (672x936, 226K)

does this card actually work?

I have played against people using it in EDH before, and no, it doesn't really "work" unless you are trying out some owling mine bullshit.

Either mill yourself to fuel graveyard shenanigans (or Lab Man) or combo-mill everyone to death. Nothing else is worth it in EDH.

The viability of incremental mill in a format is inversely proportional to the format's deck size.

>Not "fixing" the board state by casting Radiate on a Chaos Warp
I pity all of you.

I claim no responsibility for any tables flipped as a result.

Attached: 1451269286434.gif (624x335, 2.06M)

probably not, but it's a fun idea with Muldrotha
things like mystic remora and smokestack would be much higher impact

No, the reason why it doesn't work is because let's say you are in a 4 player game and you play it. One of your opponents immediately plays a spell, and you get to draw 3 cards. Great, right?

Except that two of your opponents also get to draw. Your opponents are up 6 cards total, and counting the standstill you just cast? You are only up 2, which means relative to the table you are down 4 CA.

It's literally a card disadvantage engine in multiplayer.

>That guy is dead

Drowned after canoeing with an underage 'apprentice' IIRC.

Command/Charm Tribal

Attached: 139820_200w.jpg (200x285, 26K)

mods are asleep post ridiculous cards

Attached: ManaGeyser.jpg (223x310, 33K)

Big fan.
Threats will keep coming back unless exiled.
6 mana isnt hard to reach by turn 4 with green in the mixture, its also very practical you can get him out as soon as turn 3.
Its not too mana intensive with green in the pie.
Also with black and blue in the mix its not impractical to just counter or kill spell/stall out everything your opponent does till you get to 6 mana.

you can literally just do this
wizards can’t stop you from playing arena-legal 60 card commander

>Smokestack on 2
>Just keep saccing a land and some small creature at the cost of your land each turn and a little mana
NASTY MAN
A
S
T
Y
MAN

Holy shit pic related is bonkers in Xenagod. I resolved him with 4 mana left and turned him into a 32/32. I think I'm in love.

Attached: ima-166-heroes-bane.jpg (672x936, 222K)

What cards are there that can give an opponent lands/mana? I know Spectral Searchlight, and I guess Field of Ruin counts. I just love political cards that can be used as bribery, plus the game is less fun overall when one player is mana screwed.

Oops, 8 mana.

Pretty good.
You play Hydra Omnivore in Xenagod?

No, but I wish I had one. I threw the deck together a couple days ago with what I had in my collection, which isn't particularly substantial. Giant Adephage is one of my favorites, too.

Joke's on you, I Flash in a Perplexing Chimera. Thanks for the win.

That requires the ability to flash in Perlexing Chimera and 5 mana, when optimally you'd drop a rift when everyone's tapped out or you're about to lose.

I use it in Nekusar sometimes.
Play it and then another spell, and bam, everyone else drew 3, took 3 damage, and likely more because the second spell I cast was more everybody draws cards shenanigans.

>be blue player
>other blue player has 5 mana open
>"now is the time to cyclonic rift"

Attached: bocchi.png (315x308, 23K)

You know flashing in a Perplexing Chimera in response to a spell doesn't make it trigger for that spell, right? It has to be in play when the spell is cast.

You're not that stupid, right user?

Attached: wat_quicken.jpg (304x304, 106K)

That doesn't even work.

So, Warp World, except everyone gets to skip their instants and sorceries when grabbing cards from their decks, and enchantments don't come in separately so auras fizzle?
Your way seems to give your opponents with lots of instants and sorceries in their deck a level playing field (AKA something you don't want), and it doesn't hit hexproof creatures for the same CMC (and even the same amount of red symbols) over 2 cards.