Record of Lodoss War, anybody try it?

I kinda got into Fantasy through multiple facets, but one I remember fondly was Record of Lodoss War, which aired for a short while on the Science Fiction channel late nights.

I got a little older and found some episodes of the TV series on VHS, and besides the terrible voice acting I still enjoyed it.

Now a bit later on, I got into Veeky Forums and RPG's were just amazing for me.

Now Recently Lodoss got a big Box set, and the first light novel was released in english. It got me thinking and doing some digging.

Now I have the Record of Lodoss War Companion books. I can't find much info, and I know very little Japanese.

All I know currently is they are game books, with spells, stats for creation, monster stats, and a lot of presumed fluff. The Third Book has a campaign-like guide detailing cities in the setting.

This May or May not need the Sword World RPG, I'm uncertain. There's some stuff online saying the companion and the books are connected, either sharing a system or as a guide to work with the system I don't know. Anybody have any clue about this game?

Attached: 29497410_10209229780940520_8485248448525787304_n.jpg (960x540, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mystara.thorf.co.uk/jrc.php)
swordworld.wikia.com/wiki/Book_1_Translation
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It might just be a companion set for the anime.

Wiki lists it as an RPG, and so far, as I can tell, there's levels of spells with MP Listed as well as stat blocks for monsters, without art.

No they definitely released actually game material.

For OP, I would try and find a translation of Sword World online or on ebay, because even if they are stand-alone, the terminology may not be explained.

>All I know currently is they are game books,
This is odd to me because Record of Lodoss War is (loosely) based on recordings of an old D&D campaign the author ran.
Maybe look for this (mystara.thorf.co.uk/jrc.php) sort of thing?

Thanks!
I'll see what I can dig up.
Would anyone care to see what's in the books?
Might Help.

Record of Lodoss War started off as recordings of a D&D campaign, but when the author tried to pitch it to TSR, the burgers turned them down. So they came up with their own game system which later became Sword World.

I knew It was originally B/X, but later they moved onto another system.

The first two books seems to cover levels, both have monster blocks, and Scenarios. The third book is definitely some kind of Campaign guide.

I misread the OP, sorry.

is there any concrete proof they tried to sell it to TSR? I've heard that, but haven't had any luck while trying to research.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think sword world came out the same year as Companion book 1.

That's just the rumor I've heard. No idea if it's true.

It would make sense though. TSR under Lorraine Williams wouldn't have put up with degenerate gook smut. They needed wholesome, American settings with no sexual themes like Forgotten Realms.

I'm thinking about asking someone who worked at TSR at the time like Jim Ward maybe. No idea, if it'll work, but I might as well start by asking around.

I guess I'll shoot some quick Pictures and put them up here.

user here
Pretty Sure this is a spell list. I think the game ran on MP for a magic system rather than Vancian.

Attached: 20180324_005827.jpg (4128x2322, 2.85M)

Holy shit that turned out bad
Maybe the monster list is better

Attached: 20180324_005804.jpg (4128x2322, 2.69M)

So for some reason my photos keep turning sideways and getting blurry when I upload them.

Anywho, It does indeed look like the game.

Attached: 20180324_005736.jpg (4128x2322, 2.94M)

Yeah, Sword World uses an MP system. There's a half-finished translation of the core rulebook online here: swordworld.wikia.com/wiki/Book_1_Translation

Not enough to play but enough to give you an understanding of what you've got on your hands (probably).

Thanks man!
I'm actually a bit Excited to give this game some sort of effort and maybe play it.
Either that or Hack the crap out of this and Something like B/X or Rules Cyclopedia to Fit the setting.

Book 3 has already been Useful. I've been able to kinda work out some maps and scenarios a little bit.

You're probably better off homebrewing. There was a Japanese guy in our tabletop club at university who played Sword World with his groups back home, and he said it's kind of like a precursor to 3.5 in terms of games full of weeaboo crunchan bullshit.

The original campaigns were done using not just D&D but also Tunnels and Trolls and Runequest, so anything OSR would probably be appropriate.

>also Tunnels and Trolls and Runequest, so anything OSR
I'm an /osrg/ regular and until I realized which thread I had tabbed into I thought you were shitposting.

You know what I mean, man.

Anything old school?

Anything that was made in the era when Japan was kicking America's ass economically.

In the Dust Cover of Companion Book 2, It lists an AD&D book.
But I think it was a Translation of The first Dragonlance Novel going by an interview in the recent Light Novel.

>besides the terrible voice acting I still enjoyed it.

>not liking Deedlits sweet voice

fuck you

Attached: 1408348315980.gif (140x160, 366K)

Deedlit was fine
Parn and spark were not, ashram was awful, slayn was dry.