Sci-fi setting

>sci-fi setting
>there are alien moons, double planets, circumbinary planets, etc.
>but no co-orbital planets

Attached: epimetheus_janus_orbit.gif (601x451, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-orbital_configuration#Co-orbital_moons
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm pretty sure a formation like that is impossible. There's a limit to suspension of disbelief.

Yeah I'm pretty sure something like that would just lead to rapid orbital decay.

Well mother of god:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-orbital_configuration#Co-orbital_moons

ok, this is an interesting idea then.

What in the fuck. No way.

I guess the fact that they swap over at multiple points in the same orbit explains why they don't misalign the exchange, since their staggering along the orbit won't be the same after each exchange.

Attached: Epimetheus-Janus_Orbit.png (1029x697, 169K)

>why has this not been done in science-fiction
This is always a stupid question and 99% of the time it's been done at least once.

I googled, and saw none.

Explain how it could affect plot in any meaningful way

Hey, OP.
While I think it's a kind of a cool idea, I'm not sure how relevant it'd be to the players' experiences.

I'm going to use an example from a novel, here, but in the Battletech book Decision at Thunder Rift, the franchise was still in its' infancy. The author spent copious amounts of time telling you about how alien the world was, with the length of the days, with the strange seasonal patterns, and how months didn't line up with the rest of the known universe, requiring everyone to operate on a different system.

...and it was boring as shit whenever they started prattling on about it. I sat there reading it thinking "Ok, but how is any of this relevant to the story at hand"? A bit of information about the landscapes that people were fighting in made sense, but besides being a bit of an interesting tidbit, don't lose any sleep creating background for things that won't have relevance in the game.

Attached: Decision_at_Thunder_Rift[1].jpg (1252x2034, 1.1M)

Orbit swaps precipitate large scale climate cycle shifts that affect planetary production/weather/etc. People trying to build/destroy things that will be critical in the upcoming climate swap.

What significant effects do satellites have on weather or production?

Weather on the satellites is effected.

I'll take 'world ending planetary collissions' for $200, Alex.

Either the author simply fucked up his job - not by providing the details, but by not creating a story that would take advantage of it. Or maybe you are just an impatient little cunt who blames authors for not catering to your ADHD. My bet is both being true.

So regularly the planets both get super fucked?
And you expect people to willingly settle there? Or for sentient life to emerge?

Or mining outposts set to be used during a relatively safe part of the cycle. This is ignoring the fact that the distance between a sun and an orbiting planet is not static even in Earth’s case and there’s no reason to assume that shifting orbits will wreck everything.

You seem very adamant on this little tidbit being unusable shit. Why is that?

It doesnt even have to wreck everything to be important on a planetary scale. Agriculture production reduces/shifts to a smaller region, heck maybe even a Nile floodplains sitiuation IN SPESS with tides becoming more/less effective leading to new fertile grounds being uncovered periodically.

Sounds like you're the one really trying to limit this.

>Sci-fi.
>Most stars are not red dwarves.
>Binary stars are almost unique of increasingly common the bigger the star is.

Attached: Morgan-Keenan_spectral_classification-e1463083687574-768x340.png (768x340, 71K)

>His solar system is not a binary one.
>His twin stars are too close together to allow planets orbiting just one star.

Attached: maxresdefault (50).jpg (1280x720, 67K)

The tides would be fucked, that's for sure.

They're the descendants of an autonomous seedship. They had no choice.

Attached: edgestar.png (1600x1200, 714K)