How does magic scale?

Say you have a giant, titan or magically enlarged wizard casting fireball. Should it still be a normal sized fireball even if cast by someone dozens if not hundreds of feet tall? Wouldn't that seem ridiculously wimpy? And if not, how should it scale?

Attached: 1521416767487.jpg (544x1120, 121K)

so suddenly the size of a person correlates with the size of the magic he wields?
Wizard manlets should be weaker?

It scales how you want it to. Choose rules for magic, then stick to them.

It should do the same amount of damage but the size of its AoE should be doubled.

So if a normal fireball explodes to an area of 20ft. An enlarged fireball should explode in an area of 40 ft.

Well there's the problem, someone twice as big casting a four/eight times wider/more voluminous fireball would look weird

Attached: __djeeta_granblue_fantasy_drawn_by_rakia_ds00309__e72225c54ea43b0a186da1c7a89b6e63.jpg (1419x1003, 199K)

Like fish.

Except it doesn't look like a fireball when it's cast, it's a small bead of fire that detonates once it reaches a point that the mage designates beforehand.

So called up, the mage would probably shoot a bead the size of a softball before it explodes into a 40 ft. AoE.

Just have magic amplified by the make and weight of the wand/staff.

Humans would be the standard wielders of wands and staves.
Halflings and gnomes can have their cast times improved at the penalty of aoe or dmg
Giants and such can have their aoe increased/dmg increased at the cost of casts per day or cast times.

If the wizard channels the same amount of mana to cast the fireball, then it's the same size of a regular one.

Why does one's physical size impact casting?
If casting is based purely off of mental scores, MP, or vancian system, physical size and stats should have absolutely 0 impact.

If it is impacted by physical size and traits, then congratulations not only are men better physical combatants, but they're also better casters too.

Even more so, a huge caster throwing the same tiny, at that scale basically invisible bead that causes an explosion cubical to the visible size ratio? While not taking into account the different physics of a larger conflagration zone?

Attached: 24_61051698_08.jpg (1280x2036, 298K)

>magic
>physics
Choose one

>physical size and stats should have absolutely 0 impact.
And two hundred-meter giants throwing 6-meter radius fireballs at eachother would look and feel dumb

Attached: 1521416718065.jpg (2894x3876, 822K)

Can't I have scientific magic?

Attached: 05.jpg (1280x1810, 488K)

No, scientific magic is a meme.

For the most part. Magic mechanics in your go-to systems (3.5, pf, 5e, etc) were all designed with the assumption in mind that, as per normal circumstances, the player would never reach a size beyond large (that being enlarge person).

What can be said though is that the various monsters and beings players encounter follow the same rules for magic. A colossal (largest) sized dragon casting fireball is still the same size as the Fine (Smallest) sized archefae wizard. This is is simply just the limitations of the system in use as the designers never considered the possible inplications of a larger creature.

This also draws to another problem though, a great deal of spells would become absolutely grotestque in power if their radius is increased due the size of the caster. A fireball that once could maybe obliterate 10-20 enemies can now level a city of innocents. A area of black tentacles so massive that no creature dead or alive would survive being caught in it. Pit spells... Cone spells... line spells... Oh lord the possible inplications is too much.

That said, because it looks like you are probably insterting a giantess magical realm into a game. In order to preserve the balance of how the system is meant to be played. I would rule that magic behaves exactly as it is supposed to regardless of size. BUT I would include the option of a metamagic that allows you to increase the radius of a spell by 2x for +1 slot, 3x for +2 slots, 5x for + 3 slots, and 8x for +4 slots.

>And two hundred-meter giants would look and feel dumb
ftfy

But you're clearly just a fetish poster with a digusting fetish.

hust because you want to play a giantess waifu, doesn't change how magic works. That 300ft tall dragon that has been the endboss of an adventure path since the 90s used the same rules as everyone else. What makes this any different?

That's just a symptom treatment though, and as you said, absolutely wrecks balance. Isn't there a system with more dynamic magic where fairies can have small spells and giants big spells? Maybe with some increase in cost in proportion?

Attached: da02b547e616a3443430b7bc6e6c1ea3.jpg (1050x1680, 1.1M)

Then maybe that 300ft dragon should have some better rules? It takes away from the epic feel of fighting such a dragon to face regular spells on the level of any hedge wizard shitter

Attached: 16dbce6986ea6bf6f860c34478fb5b71.png (707x1000, 741K)

The only system thay could cater this would be GURPS. With the right inplications it should be possible. But again the glaring problem here is how any big spellcaster would be more or less a world ending engine of destruction.

I take it your giantesswaifu is going to be on a whole different scale of power when compared to "normal" things. So balancing this will be difficult, but not impossible.

Now here's a thought. A big caster casting spells that would look normal to them and effect creatures their size, would have almost no effect on someone much.. MUCH smaller. Like anyone less than 3m tall would take half damage and get a big bonus on their reflex save to avoid more of it, as the fireball is so widespread that it is possible there are "pockets" of safety. OR aoe spells that hamper creatures like black tentacles. the tentacles are like 50-100m tall and most small folk would be unhindered by them as the tentacles just dont have the flexibility to touch them!

as this is technically a nerf to the giantess... I would allow for the giantess to choose to reduce their efffective radius to normal levels to affect small folk. With the option to increase that radius with spell slots!

This thread is just an excuse to post lewd giants. Move along

Dude, he’s just drawing out the argument so he can post more giantess lewds.

Daily reminder to fap before browsing Veeky Forums

If your 3.5e Dragon is wasting his time with Fireball, you're right, it is shit. He should be using spells like Wind Wall, Displacement, Blink, Summon Monster III, etc.

Proportionally
Hey, I've got a character in my setting who casts 121d6 nuclear warheads, so it's not really that big a deal.

If your CE 3.PF dragon with 18 INT isn't using the scummiest tactics in the book, you're just plain playing the game wrong.

Attached: w85eRCj4GRyI3UPQCDc.gif (743x933, 124K)

>HURR DURR DOESN CHANGE HOW MAGIC WORKS
It's like you fucks never learn
Biology CAN change depending on setting
Magic CAN change depending on setting
EVERYTHING can be changed according to the DM's desires. The rules are a guideline, not a law.

Everyone gets the same amount of magic, but the larger your body is the more you need just to sustain it and the less you have left over for spells. Tiny people can fly around like they're in Dragonball Z while giant people are lucky if they can cast anything.

Attached: 1472520348895.jpg (1400x1350, 911K)

It's not for me, but I sort of get the appeal of the whole "giantess" thing when she's like several stories tall and big enough to fit a person between her tits or that kind of thing, like . But this beyond-kaiju-level stuff OP is mostly posting makes zero sense to me, like . What's the appeal in your "waifu" being a walking apocalypse who could fit your whole village in one of her pores? I feel like at that scale a person on the ground would not even have the frame of reference to recognize that the strange force of nature destroying their country is a person, let alone a cutesy anime lady.

a good point and precisely why the playable giantfolk in my settings never exceed 10 meters. Big enough to get the feeling of hueg lady. While still small enough to be interracted with and a spear/sword still has an effect on them.

Attached: IMG_20160417_233050_822.jpg (535x505, 77K)

I don't get it either. It's not just a case of a hotdog down a hallway, but more like a hotdog through a canyon.

>Now here's a thought.

That's a suprisingly good idea. I was not expecting anyone in this thread to shift my view, but this actually seems interesting.

Normally I would default to "all PCs are normal size, GM can do what he wants", but your idea could also work for mix-size stories.

I'm pretty sure it's just a normal sized fireball, the mage's magical power didn't increase with her size.

That being said, I do have to wonder how witches and mages ever seriously lose against fighters, since shrinking and growing spells are something that exists and can be made permanent.

Attached: 1519255421501.jpg (2507x2507, 1.09M)

I'd say bigger spells at very large sizes but with longer cast times and less focused power or something else to balance it out. I think if they're big enough that you need to do this, they're too big though.

As I understand it is a slippery slope. A story of desensitisation. People like giantesses because they are huge and powerful. They start liking those 8-10 meters tall giantesses, and then they remark that they aren't that big in comparison to most buildings. It kinds of break the glamour. They ramp the size up to 30 meters, and then 50, and then they start to remark that it isn't big in comparison to skyscrapers, and they ramp it even higher, and then they think she really should be able to step on buildings (crushing is important to giantess fetishists), and then she should be able to step on mountains, because why not. Before you understand it you have giantesses the size of a planet.

They don't really think about any human-giantess interactions at this point, just that the girl being able to crush mountains is super sexy.

Attached: 162621.jpg (880x1200, 213K)

>a hotdog through a canyon
And even that's kind of an understatement in cases like . It's hard to see how one might view another being as "attractive" if they were at a scale where you could build a house in the cracks in their ostensibly smooth skin. But fetishes tend not to make a ton of sense, I guess. Maybe the idea of a pretty fantasy girl existing on such a scale where they are literally incapable of perceiving them as an individual is some sort of mirror to their own life on a subconscious level.

Attached: skin.jpg (1920x1080, 136K)

I usually go by my golden rule of "If by size you increase dmg, you must reduce speed" take away points from initiative if you going to give such a big bonus to dmg.

Generally speaking the bigger the giant, the less likely they are to be capable of magic.

Attached: lellis_giants_by_blazbaros-d3ln457.png (1115x717, 1.08M)

Paradoxically, the more capable they are of magic, the more likely they are to be giant

I actually like it when it doesn't scale, if only for the implications for how different sized races would use it, yeah that does end with a little wonky results

Most giant monsters would use things like buffs and what not, offensive magic in that case just wouldn't be very useful to them

What said

Over confidence I assume

Personally I just like them big but still small enough for interaction

That's why the tiny people should have magic or technology that allows them to bridge the gap somewhat.

Attached: time hunters.jpg (1231x700, 550K)

No, because that is fucking stupid.

How big is the guano pile?

Significantly larger humanoids such as giants have more magical circuits and thus more capacity for storing mana within their bodies, and thus can create larger effects with their spells.

>tfw Vivian quit drawing

Attached: 1513149994882.png (550x373, 75K)

Remember that one time you scaled the White Mountain?

None since size changing magic beyond really basic stuff like doubling your size really breaks the world and neuters anything but mages. It's already bad enough that a mage could just shrink a warrior and step on em, if you let mages be huge AND have their magic scale, there would be no point in choosing anything but a party full of magic users.
I have a size fetish and even I think size interactions are broken and have no business in non-fetishy worlds.

Attached: 1517297437973.jpg (980x891, 349K)

They're pretty great if you ever wanted to make a world where those born without magical abilities have to avoid those with magical abilities, like a mouse scrambling for crumbs while avoiding the gaze of human or cat.

Attached: 1521907845372.jpg (1240x1754, 214K)

So what I do is this, I take their size ratio x number of projectiles and/or range / and/or radius (at their class level). So a 5:1 giant would cast five fireballs at five times the range.

The tyranny of lanklets knows no bounds.

It would only seem wimpy if you care about ratios, and since you're a fetish poster, we have our fucking answer.

If it's a "science" type magic system like in D&D then no. A mathematical formula for a fireball is the exact same as it is for a normal human wizard.

2+2 doesn't suddenly go from equaling 4 to equaling 400 just because you put it in the middle of a bigger formula.

Attached: 1460778233809.jpg (1252x1252, 203K)

Sure, if you are looking for a fetishy version of survival horror. Otherwise giants have no buisiness casting magic, as there would be no point in the other races or classes.

Wouldn't a tank gun still be pretty harmful to you at that size? I imagine it would be equivalent to like a .22 Long Rifle to a normal person.

Her skin would be extra thicc as well, likely thick enough to act as armor and deflect bullets and possibly tank rounds.

Attached: 202196.png (700x1000, 995K)

>grow to 50 feet
>become invincible

Attached: 1520829500606.png (256x241, 62K)

There's a reason all those giant monsters in Dark Souls take thousands of stabs to the butt in order to kill them. Any giant race that isn't inhibited by slow speed, low intelligence, and a low breeding rate is a giant race that will quickly take over the world and turn all the humans into their pets.

Attached: culture_clash_by_alloyrabbit-dbxqmoo.jpg (985x811, 125K)

>Any giant race that isn't inhibited by slow speed, low intelligence, and a low breeding rate is a giant race that will quickly take over the world
there's also problem of their population sustainability vs limited food sources (unless you just magic that one away)

She's just a normal (anime) human, and skin is skin, even considering scale. A sword would make you bleed just like cutting your hand on a razor blade would, and getting shot with high explosive tank rounds is still gonna kill you even though you're big.

If there were a race of giants that shat out kids quickly, were invulnerable to explosives and other weaponry, could reliably produce enough food to not stave and all this while having an actual society with towns, I don't think humans would be around by then. They'd have just died out or killed themselves because the literal perfection race is already there.

Humans don't get beat out by the square/cube law though.

>square/cube law
Nah, but you see, fetish magic keeps my waifu viable in the face of your dumb science and logic.

the size of the fireball is always the same because the spell is the same

a giant creature that uses "fireball" throws the standard size because its the same fireball that a smaller creature knows, the same incantations, hand movements and all that metamagic shit.
If a bigger fireball appears it does so because he said different magical words or did different magical gestures

True, but in a world where giants can do all that I listed, plus defy the square/cube law. Who's to say humans can't go blanco and esto es el fin the giants. Once we get into those power levels size is meaningless.

>Who's to say humans can't go blanco and esto es el fin the giants.

You, since you're making up whatever rules you want to make sure your waifu is viable.

>Who's to say humans can't go blanco
I've come back around to being interested in this hypothetical blatant fetish setting.

I was saying that in an attempt to show how stupidly overpowered the giants would be if they had all these abilities, user.
Might as well throw consistency out of the window and playground argumentation ya know?

What a boring system. Shouldn't hand gestures have something to do with literally manipulating the ambient magic around you? Shouldn't a giant be able to physically grab more magic?

If you want it that way, you could also say their big clumsy hands let the magic slip through.

a titan or more powerful creature doesn't throw the same spells powered up, more magic means that they can cast more of the same spell repeatedly

a tiny creature would probably die of exhaustion because they bodies don't have enough concentration of magic to cast the spell, while a titan would probably shoot the fireball like a machinegun without breaking a sweat

que cojones?

In a good art style, with no cringe dialogue.. if only

>Forced to become enlightened on top of all that

I don't even want to think about the high end spells.

>Cloudkill 10km radius

Explain fairies then. Those little shits live and breath magic.

I'm not even joking. The 3.5 campaign I am playing has me playing as a 8'6" (259 cm) tall druid. Just imagine greater whirlwind.

The it's not magic, but a slightly different set of physics... which you totally CAN have, but calling it "Magic" is a misnomer... possibly a misnomer that the denizens of your world make, but honestly the hardest thing to explain is why it's called "magic" instead of "natural philosophy" if you run "magic" that way.

Magic scales logarithmically.

Yes. Pic related.

Attached: dyingearth.jpg (434x700, 52K)

A big creature can grab more fairies to use for spells

I suppose if you really need the mechanical side of your magical giantess waifu to be a tangible thing that's consistent with other forms of magic, that's one way to do it. has a pretty interesting take on it as well, so if I were in your shoes, I'd probably go with that.

Personally though, when I ran a game where an extremely powerful and petty sorceress shrank the party to 'Fine' size, I just had any magic she used where her size was a consideration do a specific thing that made the adventure (more) interesting. Anything mind affecting or the like didn't really change, though I didn't have to use stuff like that, as the party decided that they'd actually enjoy cooperating with her.

Quads of truth.

Attached: götz von berlichingen check.jpg (322x322, 25K)

Isn't there a whole setting devoted to being a "fetishy version of survival horror" with giant monstergirls that eat all the normal sized humans? I remember it having weirdly good environmental art, despite the concept.

This whole thread seems like a thinly veiled size fetish thread

Not that i mind

Felarya. It's a terrible setting, mainly due to the author allowing people to make their own contributions.

Thinly-veiled fetish threads and generals are all Veeky Forums has left

Thank goodness, I was starting to worry we might not have giantess fetish threads every single day.

Attached: commission_varcel_013_by_bokuman-d51drdd.jpg (764x900, 244K)

I need a BattleMechs vs giant ladies setting.

Macross

Sure, but I mean like . People who are into this kind of stuff as a fetish like all the stomping and crushing, right? I'm imagining your standard mecha-vs-kaiju setting but mixed with Attack of the 50 Foot Woman. But I guess being able to be on equal footing with their "giant waifu" would end up putting those folks off.

If they can be on equal footing they can logically waifu their giantess much like in Macross though

I can't speak for everyone, but I think the consequences of failing to defeat such an enemy would be titillating enough to maintain interest.

>Earth has established colonies in space, on the moon, and on Mars, and has begun mining asteroids using humanoid working machines.
>Aliens show up in the system one day, and transmit a message that roughly translates to a declaration of war.
>Earth puts up a surprising defense of their colonies, but are still pushed back to the homeworld in spite of the losses inflicted on the enemy.
>The invasion of the Mars colony showed for the first time that the foot soldiers of the enemy are humanoid giants. Most are female for some reason.
>Realizing that in the case of an invasion of the Earth itself, the army wouldn't be prepared to take on an enemy force of that kind, the machines used by workers mining in the asteroid belt are converted to military use.
>The campaign starts off with the desperate last stand of the lunar colony being in the news, and the players are pilots of these new military mechs.

>Personally though, when I ran a game where an extremely powerful and petty sorceress shrank the party to 'Fine' size, I just had any magic she used where her size was a consideration do a specific thing that made the adventure (more) interesting. Anything mind affecting or the like didn't really change, though I didn't have to use stuff like that, as the party decided that they'd actually enjoy cooperating with her.
Go on...

What said, give the PCs and early, but nonfatal loss and have the giantesses have some fun with them before they escape, had something like that happen in a non/size/ but fetishy game and it Makes losing rather tempting

>Go on...
After putting them through some 'dungeons' she made (populated by shrunken monsters) like they were small rodents that needed training, the party leveled up enough to be 'useful', and they agreed to help her in exchange for being returned to their normal size... eventually.

But the real question is, can we turn the tide of the war not with bullets or lasers, but love?

Attached: 5069b0b74c10e5e04d9c497393d0c8b90659a72a.jpg (577x860, 143K)

>when the giant alien warrior tears open your battletech after a long, hard fight.

Attached: 181.gif (500x281, 961K)

>both your suits are inoperable after the fight
>no point in continuing since neither of you can complete your missions now
>all you can do for now is hit your distress beacons and see which side responds first

>The aliens show up first

Attached: 1506210622042.jpg (480x542, 34K)