/5eg/ - 5th Edition General

Barbarian edition
>Unearthed Arcana: It's free, so don't complain :^)
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_preview_duergar.pdf

>5e Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
Stable releases - get.5e.tools/

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Last time on /5eg/:

What's the craziest thing your party's Barbarian has ever done?

Attached: big boy.jpg (900x811, 162K)

Fuck you, the UA was shit as has been becoming increasingly so each month.

What is your favorite wizard school?

Besides a dip into Hexblade

Attached: JHPNenj.png (692x931, 370K)

I need your help.
I'm running LMoP right now. They're about to fight King Grol. They did every sidequest except for Thundertree and they don't seem to care about it whatsoever for some reason.
They killed Hamun Kost outright and asked Agatha for the book, so they don't know where WEC is.

However, it has been several weeks since the start of the adventure, there's no way Gundren would still be alive.
Do you have any ideas on why he should still be alive or how else they could find the cave? I'm struggling

I never had a barbarian in my party

>Have to take a week of to study for exams.
>/5eg/ gets shittier
Like clockwork.

so asked this at the end of last thread but no response
Alright so heres what i have narrowed it down to i am going to go hexblade to 3 and then the rest into battlemaster for extra attacks along with other good shit for shooting my gun does this sound like it will be good? or is my idea for this character just going to be bad in combat?

>Have to take a week of to study for exams.
>a week of to
Spoiler alert: you’re going to fail them.

A dip into H--

I DM'd a Barb who broke the Bag of Holding my party had been trying to get for 2 months within 15 seconds of getting it.

I'm studying maths and physics, I don't need to know how to fucking spell, I just need to number good.

Grol kept the map, because he is still planning on selling it. Done.
warlocks get an extra attack invocation if you don't mind getting the third attack at fighter 11, and you'll get more invocations and spell levels if you just stick to warlock.

Just dip a level into Hexblade and you'll be able to spell great.

In 5E, Evocation actually. I know Divination is the most overpowered one and everyone hates Evocation, but I actually used to dislike evocation in 3.5 and earlier editions but I love it in 5E.

Near guaranteed 70 Force damage magic missiles at level 14. Guaranteed necrotic/lightning/cold damage from Potent Cantrip. Throwing AoE into your party and no one gets hurt / aiming a fireball at yourself. And the most sophisticated one - walling in your allies along with the enemies you fight - except they get to get out no problem, the enemies, not so much.

The craziest thing my party's Barbarian has ever done was collect some skulls so that his beard and armor would look cooler.

Transmutation, but only because my DM is letting me use it to try and perfect the creation of golems into being nearly identical to living beings.

oh ok cool

>What's the craziest thing your party's Barbarian has ever done?
He dipped into Hexblade.

Loremaster

i(the barb) engaged a monster that was supposed to destroy us if we tried to fight him and we killed it

That's not crazy at all. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that every other campaign for most parties.

Our Barbarian one-shotted the final boss during the season finale last year but the story is too crazy to be believable so most people I've said it to don't believe me.

He was the only one left standing because of the thing where Barbarians don't die for a while, and our DM uses an optional d100 table for criticals, and the boss had barely even been touched, and then the Barb rolled a natural 20 followed by a natural 100 for quadruple damage and some other devastating effects. The boss died.

This was the final boss of a whole annual season.
There were 8 of us at that table so there are witnesses this actually happened.

Attached: 1407519547922.gif (170x247, 1017K)

But Nezznar is in the cave already, why would he buy the map?

what is that invocation called

That's what my DM did, too. Actually, Gundrun was still alive when we got there, but when the doppelganger came in he made a beeline to him and killed him asap before we got a chance to protect him.

Grol had the map hidden away somewhere for us to find. Honestly these things write themselves.

Although you don't get it until L10, I really like Illusion wizards. Playing a mad scientist with toonforce inspired by Looney Tunes and old Hannah-Barbera cartoons is hilarious, especially when it actually works.

Attached: 1491756892838.gif (400x225, 2.95M)

Quick reminder: Critical hit house rules are Fucking Shit and should never be used.

Thirsting blade, it's a pact of the blade invocation in the PHB.
Probably to keep anyone else from finding out where the cave is? Grol is trying to sell the map in the adventure as written.
It's literally already in the text.

Because everyone lose rolling a crit and dealing a massive 2+[mod] damage.

Best crit rule is maximise first damage dice before rolling the second lot.

Do you actually roll all the dice twice? It's kinda lame

If I were DM, I'd just turn it into double damage like it used to be, it's more meaty but doesn't slow the game down

Anothing thing our DM does which I'm not sure if it's common, he doesn't roll damage for monsters, he just takes the average every time. It saves time but it becomes kinda predictable (e.g. that guy hits for 11 so I'm safe at 13 hp to stay another turn next to him)

my barbarian rolls 5d12+8 on crit and it feels fine

That just brings the same problem.
You roll a 1 and your crit becomes a massive 2 damage.

And your massive crit has the chance of dealing a lovely 13 damage.

Or you could make a crit a crit and deal minimum of 73 damage.

>What's the craziest thing your party's Barbarian has ever done?

Fighting a Dragon while wearing heavy armor and used Con as a dump stat.

The critical hit rules in 5th are fine and don't fuck over PCs that are typically outnumbered and suffer more attacks then they make. Every player I've seen ask for stronger critical hits whines if they catch even a normal crit.

I'm sick of the bullshit idea that critical hits should be show stoppers where everyone has to give a five minute standing ovation.

My DM just makes us reroll crit damage rolls if they're pathetically low.

rolling twice helps even out the crit results, always maximizing damage for crits would help make them feel meaty and speed them up some, but it would also make them ridiculously powerful and make crit fishing a lot stronger.

is there a good 5e character sheet maker?

Let's say you roll 1d8+4 (5-12) for damage.

Base rules crit: 2d8+4 (6-20)
x2 rules crit: 1d8+4 x2 (10-24)
Your rule crit: 1d8+12 (13-20)

I guess your rule does narrow it down a bit, but x2 is not that far off and easier to calculate

Also he didn't rage during the fight.

Are you retarded? You will literally never roll 5 on 5d12 without fucked dice. If you do you should run out and buy a goddamn lottery ticket.

Wizard requires INT and Warlock uses CHA. A dip into Hexblade as a Wizard would be fairly pointless unless your DM is smart and allows INT Warlocks.

pic related works great for me

Attached: Caran_d_Ache_Yellow_School_pencil_16e9ee7d-b47a-4aa9-9cf3-a66342d16f8c_1024x1024.jpg (1024x1024, 29K)

It'd be better if it dipped 1 level into Hexblade.

CRITICAL HIT RULES
>If you get a Critical Hit, your original damage dice is maximized.
>You then roll damage as normal.
>Add them together.
>Add modifiers and extra damage as per normal.
>Done.
>Enemies also gain the same benefits.

Attached: 1511975083976.jpg (512x281, 36K)

i mean ya but i just used a pdf

I intend to trap half the players into a room slowly filling with sand, while the other half are outside trying to get them out

I want them to have to solve a puzzle (or two) but the two groups must work together to get it done.

I was thinking I'd make a puzzle with patterns on the outside, but some of the clues would be carved on the walls inside the trapped room, and the players inside would have to describe them to the other group without being able to just show them.
I also thought maybe there's a small hole on the top of the trapped room, and the team inside has to climb up and catch something, then throw it through the hole to the outside team to solve it, or something along those lines.

Do you think it's lame?

Attached: 1365812965578.jpg (411x292, 23K)

>Enemies also gain the same benefits.
how to add rules that allow you to TPK any party without them realizing you were fucking them over with said rules

Wow you were right

Attached: texture-cartoon-magic-pencil-image_csp34669473.jpg (449x470, 21K)

Are warlocks the hot new thing to have deeply held and shallowly reasoned opinions about?

Alternatively, hit me with your best warlock patron ideas that are more specific than a literary reference from That One Thing. It doesn't have to be totally original, just give me a reason why you signed up with Demogorgon or The Queen of Air and Darkness or Zargon the Returner or your attempts at an uncommon/unusual patron.

>can't double my Smites
Lame.

Attached: When the heresy gets to be too much.png (731x944, 391K)

that describing clues thing isn't gonna work
>I look around for clues in the chamber!
>You see what looks like a symbol of a frog
>There's a symbol of a frog here!
what did that accomplish? why'd that even happen?
alternatively it could go like this
>I look around for clues in the chamber!
>You see what looks like a symbol of a green, rotund creature, roll me a Nature check to see if you recognize it
like... bro...

Hexblade is the best.

Smite was intended to be included in the "original damage" portion.

Attached: 1509963196389.jpg (682x408, 83K)

Alternatively he could draw the pictures out and hand the papers to his players who could only see them so then they would have to do it themselves.

p.s. hexblades are humdrum and flavorless

Attached: tumblr_oipi56iXXJ1rmtzhmo1_1280.jpg (564x654, 86K)

It never worked out since I left the game, but I had a character that was a warforged created by a cult who wanted to create a new world, with a new race to overtake man.
They also created a "god" that they trapped in a shadowy plane.
Neither my character nor the "god" wanted in as part of this plan, so they communicated, with my character being free to interact with the world and gather information for the patron, with the patron giving power in exchange for knowledge and the eventualy hopes of escaping.
They were meant to be pretty close buddies.

That'll work.

Attached: Feels Goodly.png (1162x850, 1.22M)

How would you fix Hexblade?

Real solutions only please, no memes or shitposting. If you don't think it needs to be fixed then don't reply.

My aasimar had a tainted soul on birth and was cast out and found purpose in serving the raven queen as a hunter of those who seek to cheat death and raise dead
nothing real special but i wanted something other than power hungry

Hexblade doesn't need to be fixed.

what did I just fucking say

WotC accepts that sometimes they just need to admit when they made a mistake. The Charisma as attack is part of Bladelocks in general. The ability to receive medium armor proficiency is removed from Hexblade and Warlocks in general, as well.

Anyone got the pic that list different ways to roll for stats?

Would solve 70% of all its issues.

Make a generic shadowfell patron that has all the features besides hex warrior.

Roll hex warrior into the Improved pact weapon invocation, because that feature becomes shit once you get a +1 weapon, and this would let it be something that you keep throught the whole game.

>Mearls and Crawford
>Ever admitting they made a mistake instead of just trying to push it under the rug like a child
Ha

removing medium armour means they have to invest heavily into two stats, which is an issue with monk.

Medium armour is fine, they have to invest into dex, but not so much as a monk does since they only need a +2 to dex.

>Improved pact weapon invocation
>+1 weapon
what the hell were they thinking? who would waste an invocation on this shit?

>move CHA damage bonus to Bladelock proper
>Hexblade Curse only works with weapon attacks
>move the crit range expansion of Hexblade's Curse to 6th level
>Spectre is no longer sunlight sensitive
>get a real 14th level ability
Easy

Hexblade is so good it can take that and not get worse.

It's good up until level 5 when your DM gives you a +1 weapon.

Or if you want to have a tiny damage die and no use of PAM and go sword/shield or ranged attack.

Their response to Healing Word killed any faith I had left of them actually fixing anything in the future. It's sad really, the whole setup of 5e and UA makes it so easy to patch the game but they just refuse to work with the tools they have.

Sounds great, can I hire you instead of Mearls?

>Crawford outright said that he thought Int would be a much better stat for Warlock casting and there's already enough Cha and Wis casters
>they kept it Warlocks using Charisma because muh 3.5 did it and 3aboos would bitch
>the Wizard option from AD&D that the Warlock class was based on used Int anyway
Any game I run Warlocks get a choice of casting stat depending on their patron. Charisma based Undying or Fiend pact just seems stupid.

Attached: 98a.png (600x600, 571K)

Orcpub

For the longest time now I've had an idea of a Divine Sorcerer who's a typical chosen one of a typival evil dark god who wants to gobble the world up, but the Sorc doesn't really want that to happen so he makes a deal with a GOO to hide from the evil fuck or something to that effect. Too bad my only group is in a comatose state so I probably won't a have a chance to realize this idea.

You mean I could piss off Veeky Forums on a monthly basis AND get paid for it? Hot damn, sign me up!

>Charisma based Undying or Fiend pact just seems stupid.
I would think that Fiend pact would be one that makes sense as a CHA caster. Dealing with the devil and whatnot. GOO is my pick for most obvious INT patron.

That's what I was thinking, I'd give each team a paper with the patterns drawn and they'd have to describe it to the other team, accurately, within the time limit

But maybe it's a dumb idea, I just thought it's cool to have people trapped in different rooms actually work together. I was in an escape room recently and we had to do it and it was cool (it was a magnetic puzzle and one side controlled the magnet holding on to a key while the other side actually saw the maze that had to be navigated to get the key out)

Honestly Fiend seems like a WIS or INT deal for me personally. Trying to charm and sweet talk a fiend, especially a fiend of the Nine Hells, seems like a futile endeavour. Signing a binding contract and knowing the limits between you and your patron seems like a more thematically appropriate thing. GOO Warlocks are in a weird place in my opinion, since they seem too mad to be Wisdom based and neither Intelligence or Charisma seem like an exact fit.

Can I use the spell Geas for murder?

Like to order a noblemans guard to murder him.

Attached: jobber extraordinare.jpg (1408x792, 137K)

I genuinely hope the Hexblade hating shitpostspammer will die

what's the deal with Healing Word?

Weren't there some locks in 4th who used Con for casting stat?

Yeah, me too. Hexblade is the best.

I agree. Hexblade is fine. Anyone who hates Hexblade is a samefagging shitposting scum.

weren't those either hexblade or binder warlocks? it's been forever since I played 4e

/thread

Some sort of warlocks did. Fiend ones in particular I think.

Trying to come up with a sunken ship encounter for my campaign but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to place it. I want to make it a cool underwater thing but they are only level 3. What do?

No, it was core Infernals and Vestige and some Star. Binder/Hexblade were when they went ALL CHA ALL THE TIME

The samefagging Hexblade hater needs to be banned. Hexblade is a balanced pact and only a fucking scumbag shitstain dogfucker could think otherwise.

Apparatus of Kwalish. Go wreck diving in a crab mech for a Wizard Who Ought To Know Better

huh, guess I got hexblade con from them getting fortitude saves

You get range rather then touch and more importantly, a bonus action rather then a normal action.

In return, you heal 1d4+bonuses rather then 1d8+bonuses.

This makes combat healing less of a waste of time and allows you to rescue a friend from death's door without needing to run over to them.

It's almost always better to make an attack and heal in a turn rather then just heal. In combat, every turn is valuable.

What if you have some sort of fish person ask them to do it who can give them water breathing?

>Apparatus of Kwalish
Thank you so much man

Diving bell. They have to return every minute or so to catch their breath as they swim around and explore/collect loot. It's also a reason for people to get out of heavy armor.

Necklace of adaption?