MTG Modern Magic General

Brewing potential edition
Previously on Modern General: Dominaria release notes: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/dominaria-leak-2018-03-08

>Playing
>Hating
>Brewing

>Thread question
What sleeper cards do you think have the potential to break out in Modern, akin to recent success stories like Bedlam Reveler and Hollow One? What do those sleeper cards need to enable them to see play?

RESOURCES:
>metagame
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>Search Engines
scryfall.com/
magiccards.info/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
>Budget Decks
pastebin.com/Q9D59Wry

Attached: steelleafchampionpromo.jpg (265x370, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=152871
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for junkmeme decks

FUKKEN MIGRATED

I have spicy memebrews but I'm not sharing because I'm speccing on the cards as well ::::::^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^))))))))

>What sleeper cards do you think have the potential to break out in Modern
I'm gonna be 112% honest with you brotato, Green Stompy is 1 or 2 cards away from T1, literally all it really needs is a goblin grenade effect and it's T1.

Attached: Experiment One.jpg (1024x748, 131K)

Would a Overrun effect based on Devotion be good reach?

No, because it's still creatures attacking. Reach is being able to directly attack the opponent generally via spells or abilities. It might be possible to get to tier 1 without true reach, but it'd be 10x easier if there was a green goblin grenade.

>Mox Opal now 89$

When will it stop?

When people start leaving the game in droves, prices will crash to the floor.

This is pretty much the best Stompy has, and it's not half bad with Rancor involved.

Attached: IMG_3678.jpg (223x310, 44K)

Well they're never gonna have a green goblin grenade, which is pretty gay, but there could always be a GR hybrid spell that is " deals damage to each opponent based on devotion to GR/the total power of creatures you control", although it'd probably be RW hybrid if it's the latter formatting.

>tfw 20/20 hexproof trampler
Hydra is great, it just isn't reach.

Attached: Ghalta.jpg (1200x1600, 587K)

I totally agree mate, I built the deck as a loaner for friends and it feels so close to being a legitimate deck it hurts.

>directly attack the opponent generally via spells or abilities

T1 incoming!

Attached: 181.jpg (312x445, 61K)

Brb buyout.

Stop triggering MaRo

>rudy bringing people's attention to the modern market that's blowing up
welp, this may become the next legacy sooner than i expected

Attached: msas.png (831x612, 675K)

Would a "X fights Y" card with a Trample effect be enough IYO?

Attached: thinking-face.png (256x256, 53K)

It was the next Legacy IMMEDIATELY after it was announced. And in Wizards infinite wisdom it only got worse. Modern was like watching a mudslide take five years to wreck a village.

I secretly hold out hope that wotc will finally just come to their senses and mass reprint moderns staples. Just literally an entire set of staples with zero bad cards. ;_;

R E P R I N T E Q U I T Y
E
P
R
I
N
T

E
Q
U
I
T
Y

But that might lead to a bad drafting experience and we can't have that.

I'm so fucking tired of hearing that. Can we stop posting that stupid fucking fact and excuse Wizards hides behind?

We're not retards who need to be baby-fed the facts. This has been a known quality of box sets forever. It goes without saying at this point, we all know this.

Oh fuck off. Nobody cares about reprint equity. How much equity will they have if the format fucking dies and nobody wants the cards?

>a bad drafting experience
You mean like every set after Eldritch Moon?

Wizards does because LGSs are their major buyers, they pay for the most of the pallets of boosters. Because of WotCs incestuous laying with LGSes, they've put themselves into this situation.

Amonkhet and Hour were fun, faggot.

Low powered, but a nice draft envinorment

That's great but again, this is just going to blow up in their face, their reprint equity is zero with no players.

It was a joke, I hate that they design exclusively for draft. I also hate that they lock decent cards behind mythic rarity because of reasons. Masters sets should be used to make certain cards more accessible and not for anything else.

I'm sorry I missed it, Kaladesh drove me away from draft.

>They don't reprint cards
>Cards keep high value
>Low ammout of people buy sets and cards from LGS
>???

>Cards get reprinted
>LGS have to adjust prices here and there, but move more product and singles
>More people at LGS buying shit

Funny because they're not making products that actually drive people to the FLGS, and they've been doing everything possible to mess with their business via terrible promos and selling to big box stores. They've done a few things for LGSs recently but it's all weird,

Like you said it's incestuous, but they've inbred long enough they don't know anything else. They don't have any new ideas and now grandma has to take a shovel and bury another abomination under the baby tree.

Yeah I know it was meant to be a joke. I'm telling you that it's no longer fucking funny or educational. We've been telling this same fucking joke since Modern Masters 1, and Wizards has done NOTHING different. It's in the same state of shit with the same goddamn excuses for nearly ten years.

I don't have it in me to bitch anymore. Just talk about technical play because the card supply is a fucking tried topic and we're all just playing a format that is unsustainable but we're getting our games in while we can.

They could do this realistically by stretching it out over a few releases. “Modern Vault” based on card types, colors, and/or deck staples.

I think it'd actually be a really fun drafting experience. Be able to make knock off versions of real modern decks with a little brewing because you don't have all the cards.

They've fucked themselves over so hard, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hasbro sell them off sooner in the year, or early 2019. Another poster said it in another thread, Dominaria really looks like the swan song of MtG, and both WotC and the LGSes are going to get fucked due to their greed and inbreeding. The small to med ones can possibly survive though.

Yep. Unrelated, but swan song is a good card.

I think this is the next gemstone caverns. Same set with a low print run, already spiked once but its price went down, effect can get some quick mana and it can even get duals.
It only needs something that can abuse it

Attached: flag.jpg (200x285, 25K)

But user, that would hurt the (((collector's))) value!

>Rudy kept saying Modern sucks as an investment because of constant reprints
>guy sells his Modern staple collection for cheap
>Wizard announces they'll no longer do Modern Masters
>Modern staples start to blow up in crazy prices
WEW

Attached: RUDY.png (818x601, 614K)

His fault for trusting rudy.

Rudy fleeced him. Rudy knew that even if they continued masters sets that the reprints wouldn't be significant enough, the announcement of no more master sets just accelerated the upwards movement.

People who trade magic cards like stock should hang by the neck.

They don't want the format to live. They want anything not standard or commander to drop dead while milking it dry for every last drop. It happens to legacy, modern and they're even slowly trying to get pauper through loopholes like ash barrens. Any format with a low maintence cost that even approaches having a low entry cost is a threat to wizards.

It's times like these I wish I was a billionaire. Just buy wotc, resurrect MTG and DND 3.5.

Why does anybody even like this fucker? The only thing he's good at is spending 17 minutes managing to say practically nothing. He's a speculator who drives up the cost of cards, and he's repeatedly done slimy bullshit to fuck with people's expectations in order to bolster his own profits.

Hell, they even try to get commander now with their brawl shit.

You know, I kind of think Rudy is doing what he does because he's an autistic asshole, because it's possible and legal, and because he's putting everything in the public. By making this whole shitshow public it's more likely to get a reaction by wizards. Wotc probably doesn't like people like Rudy getting rich off their game and showing off how broken the economy is.

They could potentially be baited into mass reprints just to spite people like Rudy.

>Any format with a low maintence cost that even approaches having a low entry cost is a threat to wizards.
Which is fucking dumb and proof they don't understand their own game. They drive people away with this shit. People want to be able to use their collections, and if they could buy a new deck for cheap they would buy more decks more frequently resulting in more money spent on Hasbro products overall

Plus they would frequent LGS's more, creating a more populated environment there. More people playing in LGS events and coming through to buy cards.

i like the cut of the tri-colored tamiyo's jib

Preaching to the choir my naga. I now worry they may have fucked up too much to even sell off the company and run for the hills. What the shitting balls is going on over there yknow?

>>What sleeper decks do you think have the potential to break out in Modern
naruto doujin.dec

He's using his videos to raise the value of his assets. He's fun to watch and it's fun to see how Wizards has lost control of the market and allowed people like him to make money. Can't blame him for taking advantage of Wizards and the players.

The question is when he's going to sell. His assets don't mean shit he doesn't sell before the bubble bursts.

Wizards ARE investors like Rudy though. That's why the reserve list still exists. They're sitting on pallets of old product.

This card is Modern playable. Especially in Blue Steel decks

Attached: 636573545798490590.png (265x370, 172K)

He sells all the time, doesn't he? Everything but reserve list cards.

I got my Hierarchs today, but I notice the two in the middle have an off-center foil sticker. Is this a common thing or should I have them checked just to be sure?

Attached: 20180324_162912.jpg (5312x2988, 3.49M)

>mahamoti Djinn for artifact decks
>but its legendary
into the trash it goes

Well, he sells anything that is not sealed product.

I'm pretty sure he is still the biggest non-store owner of Magic Origins boxes.

He'll flip anything that is non-sealed and non-reserved list.

Maybe if it were 2U instead of 3U.

You'll still have to tap five "mana" to play it.

Honestly, they are not wrong, you need to sell new product through some way that makes players feel bad, either by rendering their cards useless with power creep or with a rotation and you can only reprint things so many times(though wizards is very very slow to reprint) . Check Pokemon or YuGiOh. The former follows MtG formula but not as harshly while the later powercreeps constantly. Thing is, Pokemon has an anime and video games, so does YuGiOh and last I checked Duel Links only loses to Hearthstone and Shadowverse. MtG on the other hand does not have something to fall back to and even D&D isn't that profitable so they need to play safer even more.

If they didn't pull these tactics, masters would slowly sell less and less while they'd lose more players to eternal formats(standard can never be more appealing than modern or legacy, rotation is the ultimate dealbreaker to players). Wizards' way out would've been to simply keep things going as they are but with a cheaper standard and modern going on, but they won't because there's nothing telling them to: MtG existed for a long time with essentially no rivals, you either paid premium for it or didn't play card games and the reserved list happened, which may not have a direct effect on modern, but makes Wizards incredibly scared of ever trying to go against Rudies. Not trying to defend them, but those things make it very easy to understand why Wizards doesn't fix big mistakes or tries to appeal to players

4 CMC Mahamoti Djinn is great

2 four Cmc Mahamoti djinns would be nic- oh its legendary

What are the best sideboard cards against Storm that aren't Trinisphere? The fact that it basically tripled in price in the last month or two is ridiculous. I'm needing it for a G/R brew, I'm considering Relic of Progenitus, Choke, Grafdigger's Cage and Surgical Extraction. Am I missing anything big?

Attached: question.jpg (480x300, 52K)

Wait for Dominaria, dampening sphere comes out then

Dampening Sphere soon.

Damping Sphere is going to be GOAT

Give me one good reason why this card won't see play in Modern.

Attached: dom-XNDOI-naban-dean-of-iteration.jpg (344x480, 37K)

It's pretty common, it's Wizards shitty printing.

Give me 3 wizards with CMC 3 or lower that would be useful to have their skills triggering twice.

>wizard entering
>triggering another ability
that's a lot of cards for a duplicated effect

that's not the ability of the wizard that is duplicated, it's the ability of another permanent triggered by the wizard (which can be a wizard too)

Went to my first modern fnm yesterday. Ended up undefeated in the finals against rg eldrazi.
Swept mardu pyromancer and affinity on the way there but got swept (barely) against eldrazi.
Super fun; got a gift pack for second place. Gonna have to go to more fnm's

Attached: 33464_200w.jpg (200x285, 25K)

He has no reason to sell his reserve list cards. Some of his reserve list cards are a big chunk of the market. He can set the price for those. He wants to liquidate his non-reserve-list stuff to move that money into the reserve-list. He's doing the best he can to raise the value before he liquidates it.

The bubble will burst on modern but it will not on reserve list. Modern staples will get reprinted. Maybe not soon but eventually. Like many merchants he has insider information so he knows when to sell.

The individual, low capital collectors and players always lose. The people with insider information and enough capital always win.

Meddling mage
Reflector mage
Snappy

You can tell they are real because fakes would be better quality. The poor quality is Wizard's stamp of approval.

Wow, I really should be paying more attention to those Dominaria spoilers. Thanks, bros.

Attached: Bender Neat.jpg (500x491, 49K)

Ok, that's fair. But All those already play in 5c humans, right?

Is it good enough to take something away from 5c humans to add him?

He's a store.

They look fine to me; but for your piece of mind the only fakes with holograms that I'm aware of only have one symbol in the hologram, as opposed to the mana symbols and/or planeswalker symbol in a genuine hologram. As long as you can see more than one you should fine to assume they're just shitty MM15.

>won't work since it's a static effect related to one name at a time
>ok
>hope you have lot of mana

Do you think Wizards is reprinting Goblin Lore any time soon?
I can still buy a playset for €40 right now.

Wait a sec, it makes your Wizard Humans that trigger Champion put another counter on him as well.

It's incredible that this is unironically true

I'm currently running two Wrath of God in the GW taxes sideboard but was considering swapping one for StW since it can be such a blowout with Leonin Arbiter out. Good idea? Retarded?

Attached: Image (14).png (223x311, 118K)

Reflector mage
Harbringer of Tides
Meddling Mage won't be able to name 2 different spells would it?

I think Jori En, Ruin Diver might see some brewing

Worth a try.

4 mana is enough to use any combination of bolts, cantrips, paths, pushes or discards with snapcaster. Also, clique can be brutal with it.
You can also try weaker stuff like Sea gate oracle or similar. Not sure how good it'll be but there is some potential.

>have them checked
By whom? Your mommy?

Well, to make sure they are not pregnant.

You gotta check.

Use dusk/dawn, fucker.

>tfw no hierarch mommy gf

What deck could this see play in conciveably

Attached: moon bunny.jpg (223x307, 21K)

So...

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=152871

Whatever happened to that webcomic? I can't find it now.

Well, you could try to fit it in a CoCo Spirit deck.

The emblem power is potentially game winning, but it would take 4 turns to get there.

Was it in the Fireball20xl site?

If it was, the site was taken down when the owner was outed as a huge abusive asshole that took advantage of younger girls.

There's an awful lot of merfolk wizards. And they all have +1/+1 counter theme going.

I think Merfolk is moving away from Lords and moving toward this Miracle Grow builds.