/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Combat Des Trente Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/gdvadj7t6l5w6/Aero_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mediafire.com/folder/j962ws6h50bqj/Victory_Games
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Attached: Combat_des_Trente_(Le_Baud).jpg (1484x1452, 1.82M)

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!D1dHQZCJ!V9pYq0CUc4iCrNiOcBOBtg
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mega.nz/#F!O1cUGTRL!4FSvbQTXjmRTz1TfVXqxLw
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/download/wz3568zydxy2p6f/Osprey - ELI 017 - Knights At Tournament.pdf
mediafire.com/download/va2inkaho0aq6xs/Osprey - MAA 337 - French Armies of the Hundred Years War.pdf
mediafire.com/download/9e7fgex9d3b5k3e/Osprey - WAR 058 - English Medieval Knight 1300-1400.pdf
discord.gg/Z6N47p6
youtu.be/MCdKgd2tgp8
youtu.be/H4SUypWjfYY
youtu.be/R76fU5THN84
diy.com/departments/diall-cotton-dust-sheet-l-3-67m-w-3-67-m/1650662_BQ.prd?rrec=true#icamp=recs
bigonminiatures.blogspot.com/2013/08/making-desert-terrain-mat.html?m=1
youtube.com/watch?v=_DQO9MopOkk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>GMT
mega.nz/#F!D1dHQZCJ!V9pYq0CUc4iCrNiOcBOBtg
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Wargaming Magazines
mega.nz/#F!O1cUGTRL!4FSvbQTXjmRTz1TfVXqxLw
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead
The Face Of Battle
General d'Armee (TFL version)
Swordpoint

Attached: pj1gq58eappy.jpg (1300x867, 174K)

March the 26th in military history:

1169 – Saladin becomes the emir of Egypt.
1344 – The Siege of Algeciras, one of the first European military engagements where gunpowder was used, comes to an end.
1351 – Combat of the Thirty : Thirty Breton Knights call out and defeat thirty English Knights.
1885 – The Métis people of the District of Saskatchewan under Louis Riel begin the North-West Rebellion against Canada.
1913 – Balkan Wars: Bulgarian forces capture Adrianople.
1917 – World War I: First Battle of Gaza – British troops are halted after 17,000 Turks block their advance.
1939 – Spanish Civil War: Nationalists begin their final offensive of the war.
1945 – World War II: The Battle of Iwo Jima ends as the island is officially secured by American forces.
1954 – Nuclear weapons testing: The Romeo shot of Operation Castle is detonated at Bikini Atoll. Yield: 11 megatons.
1971 – East Pakistan declares its independence from Pakistan to form the People's Republic of Bangladesh and the Bangladesh Liberation War begins.
1975 – The Biological Weapons Convention comes into force.
1982 – A groundbreaking ceremony for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial is held in Washington, D.C.
2010 – The South Korean Navy corvette Cheonan is torpedoed, killing 46 sailors. After an international investigation, the President of the United Nations Security Council blames North Korea.

Attached: Captured_Japanese_flag_on_Iwo_Jima.jpg (640x480, 109K)

Chivalry’s finest military expression in contemporary eyes was the famous Combat of the Thirty, which occured on 26th March 1351. An action of the perennial conflict in Brittany [part of the Hundred Years War], it began with a challenge issued by Jean de Beaumanoir, a captain of Charles of Blois supported by the King of France, to Robert Bemborough, a captain of Jean de Montfort supported by the King of England. When their partisans clamored to join, a combat of thirty on each side was agreed upon. Terms were arranged, the site was chosen, and after participants heard mass and exchanged courtesies, the fight commenced.

With swords, bear-spears, daggers, and axes, they fought savagely until four on the French side and two on the English were slain and a recess was called. Bleeding and exhausted, Beaumanoir called for a drink, eliciting the era’s most memorable reply: “Drink thy blood, Beaumanoir, and thy thirst will pass!” Resuming, the combatants fought until the French side prevailed and every one of the survivors on either side was wounded. Bramborough and eight of his party were killed, the rest taken prisoner and held for ransom. In the wide discussion the affair aroused, ‘some held it as a very poor thing and others as a very swaggering business,’ with the admirers dominating.

The motivation for the combat is unclear. The earliest written sources present it as a purely chivalric exercise, undertaken to honour the ladies for whom the knights were fighting: referring to Joan, Duchess of Brittany (House of Blois) and Joanna of Flanders (House of Montfort). These women were leading the two factions at the time, as Joan's husband was in captivity and Joanna's was dead (her son was a young child at the time). This is the account given by the contemporary chroniclers Jean le Bel and Jean Froissart, both of whom present the conflict as purely a matter of honour with no personal animosity involved.

Attached: 1458901458592.jpg (441x718, 86K)

While the combat did not have any effect on the outcome of the Breton war of succession, it was considered by contemporaries to be an example of the finest chivalry. It was sung by trouvères, retold in the chronicles of Froissart and largely admired, and honoured in verse and the visual arts. A commemorative stone was placed at the site of the combat situated between Josselin and Ploermel and king Charles V of France commissioned a tapestry depicting it. The renown attached to those who participated was such that twenty years later, Jean Froissart noticed a scarred survivor, Yves Charruel, at the table of Charles V, where he was honoured above all others due to having been one of the Thirty.

According to historian Steven Muhlberger, this chivalric version concentrates on "how the deed was done and not on who won. The willingness of all concerned to agree to rules and to actually observe them, to fight their best and not to run when injured or in danger of capture are the focus – and both sides are shown as equally worthy in that respect." Later, the combat came to be seen in very different terms, influenced by the most famous of the contemporary popular ballads on the topic. In this version the English knights are villains, and the Blois faction are loyal and worthy local warriors.

mediafire.com/download/wz3568zydxy2p6f/Osprey - ELI 017 - Knights At Tournament.pdf
mediafire.com/download/va2inkaho0aq6xs/Osprey - MAA 337 - French Armies of the Hundred Years War.pdf
mediafire.com/download/9e7fgex9d3b5k3e/Osprey - WAR 058 - English Medieval Knight 1300-1400.pdf

Attached: Octave Penguilly L'Haridon - The Combat of the Thirty 1857.jpg (1600x906, 320K)

>tfw I'm really productive and painting all kinds of minis
>hardly a unit's worth for any period

Either this, or I paint a fraction of my current output but for one army. Life is suffering.

Or I should just play more to have a motivation to paint.

Play more.

Attached: cruscrist02.jpg (700x1454, 611K)

Finally got the motivation to get back to working on the boats I inherited over a year ago.

Attached: Boats.jpg (2576x1920, 1.81M)

That's a lot of ships, what have you got?

>Fletcher Pratt's Naval wargame
wow! actual printed versions of that game are a pretty cool find. It used to be all the rage in the 40s

Attached: Pre-Dread-March09-06.jpg (2535x870, 365K)

Tall plano boxes are Napoleonic boats. The rest is WWII. The short plano boxes are IJN that I opened and assembled, more done in the hardware box. Unopend 1 box is German, 2 Brit (1 GHQ, 1 C in C), the remaing 2 and the bigger tub is US. The hardware boxes are 3/4 full of finished ship. Have some French that he bought off someone years ago but they need redone. The glue failed on his old labels so I did relabel some but holding off on the rest for when the trey gets a boat buddy assigned to it.

Never counted them yet.

Attached: Boat Storage.jpg (2576x1920, 1.77M)

To the chch user. Woolston is doing quite well for itself because the other mayor club imploded. And the new president, though I don't often agree with everything he does, Is doing some much needed changes to the place. You play anything? Could potentially meet up? Is that even a good idea?

To make this hwg relevant. Bolt is played quite often there. At one point it was being played as much as 40k. Other games as dba, fog, adlg as well as the odd Naval and 6mm moderns and Saga

Im only in ChCh like 3 months of the year, and I play some stuff but like last time I was there the only historicals was those 2 polite old grogs who play FoW, and those other older grogs who play Ancients. Neither of which I play unfortunately.

Bolt Action being played there is news to me which is pretty cool, honestly when I stopped going was when the Fantasy players were leaving and 40k was nearing death too, it was a sad 6 months.

>buy five men at kursk
>it lists FG42 as autorifle
>ok that makes sense
>auto rifles have "heavy" rule
>FG42 is the same weight at a kar98k

Ivan pls, Im just gonna house rule them as semi auto rifles because thats dumb

I tend to play Bolt Action or Saga. Have Warmachime also but might drop it unfortunately. Both seem to be played more in recent years.

Kind of a dumb question. Can anyone tell me a make/model or lead on a metric only ascending centimeter metal retractable tape measures? Preferably 12m x 10cm. Hard mode in Burger land for sale US domestically and would like to not pay for them to cross an ocean. I find myself in need and grow tired off searching after searching a few days.

Attached: RSCN2496.jpg (1600x1200, 299K)

I've got a small metric stick rule I use for my metric needs. Still might not fit yours, but check out Wiha's folding rules on Amazon.

I've just checked ebay. You can get something like
>pic related
$10 dollars free int shipping.
comes in metric

searching for something like: 10m-50m Wear-Resistant Measure Tape Metric Ruler Pocket Size Measuring Tool will get you longer things. Building supplies etc.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1100x1100, 64K)

50m seems a bit excessive, I’ve never played a game needs more than 3.

recently I have been feeling kinda nostalgic and have been looking to get back into 40k, its been over 10 years since I switched to historicals. do you guys have similar experiences with nostalgia and 40k?

Attached: 1516598776777.jpg (782x495, 317K)

yes but only because I havent actually played a wargame against an opponent since I stopped playing 40k 6 years ago, closest I have is xwing but i stopped that 2 years ago

Yeah, and the I look at GW and see everything has changed so my nostalgia counts for nothing...

I have a mostly unbuilt Ork army for 40k, but the amount of work getting that on a table probably isn't worth it.

Do tape measures in burgerland really only come with either metric or imperial units on them?

Every one I've ever had in Blighty has had both.

To be fair over here in the former soviet republic of britfagistan, we constantly mix imperial and metric measurements in an insane mess brought on by only a half-arsed conversion to metric that's still slowly going, and the older generations still think in Imperial for everyday stuff like weights when cooking so that's not helping.

Getting back into the actual game? Not really, because from lurking Veeky Forums i know that the rules are nothing like they were back in the day.

Getting back to paint some space marines or demons once in a while? sure.

No, I quit 40k in 3rd edition because it was bland as fuck and moved to warhammer proper because it was a more interesting game tactically. Then I quit warhammer at the end of 6th edition because 7th fixed very few of the problems I had with 6th edition and fuck it, was already getting into historicals at that point anyway.

I'm a fairly mechanics-focused gamer; not in the how to use them to win but in how they really gotta give a good 'feel' for what they're portraying without being too frustrating or caught up in method focused rather than results focused simulation. Epic, BF:G, Necromunda, Warmaster... all of that did that better than the mainline GW games for matching mechanics to setting their settings for me so I've followed that kind of... thing. And historicals has a lot of good options for that and interesting time periods/armies to do it with.

Im from a country that is almost exclusively metric but I think Imperial Measurements for wargames distances and for human height is better than metric

Playing against anyone would be nice, but I get anxious about meeting up. Plus stuff like vassal has a learning curve I have no time for, and anxiety about meeting randoms online. Got Kill team. Painted the figs. Never played the game.

I'm on here and the discord, but I don't speak in person because...well. user is better. The one guy I could play against I'd have to use vassal or tabletop or something and he's a bit of a luddite. Has trouble using alternative browsers stuff like that. I've given up.

Unless youre over 45 theres no reason to be a tech illiterate grog. Grogs are meant to be at least remotely intelligent, especially historicals.

He's hitting that slowly! I'm just lazy in making time to get off my ass and learn a new tool.

I use 5m metric tapes e’rry day at work. My personal favorite are the Ace Hardware store brand tapes. Stanley makes a pretty good one too. I’ve got a 25’ Komelon at home that’s my favorite overall but it doesn’t have metric but I assume they make one. Work only buys cheap tapes because they wear out pretty fast.

Attached: 4AF1B160-6DA3-4B9B-BA7A-33AF88259B64.jpg (4032x3024, 2.45M)

Internet has been commonplace for close to 25 years now, I really only give people over 70ish a pass

Attached: FA7C6927-A8DF-4CDF-8FF2-0590A65CD064.jpg (750x750, 100K)

Burger tape measures are either Imperial only or mixed. Metric only is a bit of a unicorn here.

The thing that gets me about metric countries is they seem to forget about decimeters (10's). You either have a tiny number (meters) or a huge number (cm) while ignoring the inbetween.

The reason I asked about metric tape measures is that I'm back to working on my boats. General Quarters 3rd went from inch to cm for measurement which the new system really cleaned up measuring while not throwing things off. Pure metric tapes would be nice and clean for gameplay. We normally play on a 8' x 8' table. Tradition was our old salt water grog would provide everything for the game. He passed a year ago and willed his naval stuff to me so now I get to provide.

It's more like over 50ish. I'm 41 and people in their 40 grew up in the dawn of the computer age. It was the new thing and school tried to beat it into your head.

>over 70
I wish I had a dime each time my mom calls me with questions like "now how do you make a new folder again".

Just going through the vassal tutorial. My god. It is a thing of beauty. NEVER grokked it before.

As for the tapes, Japan does purely metric tape. I got well irate when I bought one over there for wargaming and found no inches on it. Really threw me.
>captcha: Select all images with boats
heh!

>Metric only is a bit of a unicorn here.

Odd, I've never seen one that wasn't mixed.

Like I said, I use a stick rule (in this case, for Naval War which is also in CM). The one I have is metric only on one face, and imperial only on one face. The segments also lock at 90 degree angles, so the double as a square if you need one for laying out areas on the board.

We have to special order them at work but it can be done.

(I’ve never liked decimeters though)

bmp
m
p

Attached: 41DDB0CB-BF45-4E52-8BAD-9D01ABD2B45D.jpg (773x783, 140K)

How do I keep games and campaigns of low-intensity conflict actually intense?

Watching documentaries where things get tense but nothing happens or reading news reports where a couple of people get injured in a suicide car bomb aren't inspiring the project to get going. When I imagine a heating up of the conflict it feels like Tom Clancy's amateur hour.

Attached: IMG_0370.jpg (2048x1131, 395K)

If you're talking wargames, I don't really see how you could. Why would you spend 6 turns moving guys around and then not shoot a goat?

Attached: Quiet, Ugly Men - Low Intensity Warfare Campaign Rules.png (943x5262, 503K)

that reminds me - must paint and base those 4 goats on my paint table. Thay can be crucial scenario objectives

IV-user here with another Impetus for VASSAL mod update! 0.5.154 is a go, with more armies and more features than before.

After having a good look at the 40k VASSAL module and how they managed to get it to work so flawlessly, I managed to add a minimap, a range-measuring thread, some boards you can pull up for deployment and to keep better track of dead units, and a notes window for keeping better track of VDT/Morale.

With 154/275 armies, we've passed the half-way point and slowly moving towards finishing different eras one by one. As always, if you want to play or learn Impetus, we have a small discord here; discord.gg/Z6N47p6

Attached: New Features 2.png (1360x730, 1.54M)

Source on this? These are great looking.

What rule systems are you playing right now and are you fighting a particular war or just an imagi-nation thing?

Why dont we have any bolt action or flames of war rules pdf's in the mediafire???

Attached: ben afflek mahr.jpg (1059x1021, 73K)

FoW has its own general, they get asspained when we steal anything of theirs.

BA is DMCA'd regularly

>friend who has only ever played and painted 28mm heroic GW games tells me my 1/72 figures look terrible
>Offer him one to paint
>he backtracks and says something that small is impossible to paint so no matter what itd look like shit

okay man

Flames has its own general
BA has a massive folder linked in the second post of this thread

>BA is DMCA'd regularly
No it isn't, don't spread mistruths like that

That's because decimetres are fucking useless for everyday measurement tbqh, range bands for wargaming are the first practical use I'd ever have for them

sounds like a cunt

Look closer

Attached: RSCN2315.jpg (1600x1200, 604K)

Nice table, not sure if that's the rear of a garage or a wild west outfitters' sneaking in though

Are there places irl with blue tile roofs? It looks nice but I don't imagine blue clay exists and painting tiles sounds too expensive to make it common.

are you stupid

Attached: ad_168111134-e1430994007320.jpg (932x600, 135K)

Awesome! It's really come along!

It's slate lad

Also there is a huge variety of natural clay colours. Easier and more common to just apply a glaze to the clay with the properties you need though

Just google it. I screen-grabbed the page rather than posting a link.

FoW has it's own general and BA is in the MF folders. Try thinking before bitching next time.

Northern Mali (as up to date as possible, so not 2013) with No End in Sight.

Attached: screenshot-www.nytimes.com-2018-03-26-08-06-56-545.png (1299x868, 1.67M)

>Northern Mali
Interesting user, can you tell us a bit about the tactics and units being used? I know nothing of the war

I actually live in France and have tried to track down the location of the Combat. I found an area and apparently there's a marker but it's not near the actual site. Can /hwg/ help me find it?

>FC Barcelona glove
I swear Barça is as much part of the uniform of third-world combattants as old AKs and Toyota pickups.

>youtu.be/MCdKgd2tgp8
here is a video of the Bundeswehr practicing for their Malian deployment. If you're interested in tactics, its a good video for what happens when a patrol is attacked.

>youtu.be/H4SUypWjfYY
This video gives a brief explanation of the origins of the conflict. It's a little dull but it gives a good idea of typical, everyday operations. Daily patrols seem to be the norm.

Don't just think it's the Germans in Mali, they fall under the Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (or MINUSMA for short) which is a United Nations operation. There are a staggering amount of nations involved in the conflict, Nepalese, Swedes, Chinese, Cambodians, Canadians, Bangladeshis. It has however proven quite a deadly conflict for them as they're more suited for peace-keeping missions than fighting an insurgency. Check out they're youtube channel if you want.

If you really want to look there's footage of American Special forces being ambushed and killed in Niger which is related to the conflict in Northern Mali.

Attached: Malian-army-soldiers-patrol-in-the-village-of-Bintagoungou-near-Goundam-in-central-Mali.-AFP.jpg (720x405, 62K)

I just watched a short documentary on it and it seemed just the French were there (Mali being an ex french colony), no mention of Germans. Thanks for the links though, will have a look.

Yeah French are still there in a large capacity but nowhere near their role in 2013.
Here's quite a long video from this year about a French convoy. Ignore the title and some of the editing, there's no conflict and the documentary-maker hurts his back.
youtu.be/R76fU5THN84

I'm sure the exact spot has probably been forgotten now user, or maybe moved around a bit
I found the marker you were talking about while googlemapping (I love that); I see there's a go-kart track across the road!
I would try and ask some locals in either Josselin or Ploermel, perhaps at the local library or with a local history club; I bet someone around there has investigated it in the past
Old maps of the area could be really useful, again they're probably stashed in local archives

Attached: colonne-des-trente-guillac-jp-beauchet.jpg (800x533, 200K)

Any one have experience using sand on canvas as a battle field? There was a link a few threads ago. I bought a few kilograms of sand for being and had a bright idea.
But it might just end up looking crap and failing of in my house etc.

Attached: 4F9D7E58-1BC4-4513-A1BD-3D3FCCD2DAB1.jpg (542x335, 93K)

>being
*basing

Fucking keyboard.

Are the download links avaliable somewhere else? I have no idea how mediafile works and its not letting me download shit.

How tricky is it to make a VASSAL module? I've been thinking of trying to make one for L'Art de la Guerre.

Because that way I might be able to actually play it ;_;

I've not done it personally but I've heard of it being done pretty succesfully.

The trick is getting the right depth, too shallow and you'll get bare patches, too deep and your models might have a hard time standing up properly.

I've used some sand and lots of flock for a western European table and it's worked well. Search on YouTube for tutorials.

But basically use either a cotton dust sheet cut to size.

diy.com/departments/diall-cotton-dust-sheet-l-3-67m-w-3-67-m/1650662_BQ.prd?rrec=true#icamp=recs

Or I believe Calico works well too according to Silverwhistle.

Spread decorators caulk (brown is better for obvious reasons though white may be OK) over the dust sheet/calico, use a spatula or a wallpaper smoother to spread the caulk. Then scatter the sand over the caulk. You can use the caulk tube as a roller to push the sand into the caulk. I also sprayed watered down white glue over to assist in it sticking. I tried it on a small piece to start with and was surprised how effective it was.

One thing to note the caulk will seep through the cloth when applying it so don't do this on anything that you don't mind marking. And there will be some excess sand/flock so be aware of this.

The finished sheet is quite heavy but still reasonably flexible. I believe you can roll them up and transport them in capped plastic waste pipes but I've not tried that yet.

>what is slate?

the North Africa table I'm playing on lately was done that way. you will have sand falling of a 100% but not to an extend where half the mat is lying on your floor.

Attached: DZFdoviWkAAKXqb.jpg (888x1200, 332K)

It can look good if you put time & effort in bigonminiatures.blogspot.com/2013/08/making-desert-terrain-mat.html?m=1

I'm also using a similar method for my own playing mats. I'm working with wall colours and flock on fleece though.

Attached: DYAKlEJWkAc5Cds.jpg (1200x888, 279K)

Is this the right thread to ask for the best Arthurian/Charlemagnolian semi-historical wargame?

Yes and the answer is Saga, or perhaps Dux Britanniarum

Attached: table1.jpg (1900x1216, 1.71M)

Do those suffer from the same fate GW's hobbit suffers from where the low model number means a handful of key dice rolls have more impact on the game than your tactics?

Vice also has some pretty good footage on YouTube

Making a VASSAL module is a lot of work. It depends on what you want to do with it. You could knock together something that is 99% imagination in about a day, but making a full mod for Gloire would take a whiiiiile.

Just learn to play Impetus, they're pretty similar

Sup guys, I got a bunch of greenstuff for christmas but none of the imagination or skill that comes with it. What are some good projects for first time sculptors?

Attached: 71au1BqMamL._SL1500_[1].jpg (1500x939, 100K)

The best way to get the hang of sculpting is to modify existing models.

Get a few cheap mooks (so if you fuck them up it's not a big deal) and maybe try converting one into a champion, or giving one a cape or something.

Consider getting some plasticine or other non-drying modeling clay and practice how to make fabric folds etc.

If you get a low sulfur clay you can use it later for making two-part RTV rubber molds

As a sometimes-sculptor, the best tip I can give is superglue.

Greenstuff loves superglue, the easiest way to sculpt is cut the shape you want on an oil coated surface, touch a dab of superglue to the piece you're attaching to and then it'll adhere very tightly. You'll then be able to sculpt anything without it slipping off.

How compatible are Peter Pig and Battlefront miniatures? Infantry, not vehicles. Very? Barely?

>want to get into tabletop wargames with mini's
>Only have a tiny table with no space for a larger one. Ahhhh

Band of Brothers looked ok but God damn where would I even store the terrains.

Either play a low-model skirmish game, or try something in a lower scale like 6 or 3mm?

Here is a video (in german) with comparisons between various 15mm vehicles/miniature makers.

youtube.com/watch?v=_DQO9MopOkk

Maybe you can get some use out of it.

find a club near you. or maybe store that have table.

What about a foldable table? Or just a large/thin mdf board you can store upright behind your shelf/cabinet to place on your small table?

6mm

The floor.
The Floor.

This man raises a good point. Just get a roll-up mat and some cheap terrain.

Second this, I live in a small ass apartment with my fiancé and we use a tan yoga mat and homemade terrain to play Afghanistan shit.

Should I base my circa-1918 ww1 miniatures on mud, grass or muddy/dead-grass?