/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
So MegaMek’s princess decided to go into the water again, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2018-03-22 - Still getting worked on & now has 35401 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2018-02-28!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Attached: b51e9833ca1a24355d2c1c32d70285808392afd1.jpg (1690x1080, 229K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/238471201633206272/425685873305321472/Protomech_Designer_v0.9.jar
youtube.com/watch?v=mDQIQ6-L_i0
clarkesworldmagazine.com/green_04_14_reprint/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>go into the water

Live there. Die there.

Attached: 3026_Neptune.jpg (500x169, 15K)

Where were you when my players decided allowing me to have more than 4 depths was prohibited?

Attached: Submarine quartet.png (1406x696, 48K)

>decided to go into the water again
Biiig mistake.

Attached: watery grave.jpg (710x207, 52K)

It's got my sympathy. I had two companies of S-hovertanks, and I kept getting woodlands. Grandma-driving across lakes and rivers was the only way to go anywhere.

>it was also what taught me to appreciate forestry mechs, and battlemechs in general
>one "big battle" completely swung on a platoon of hovertanks clearing forest hexes to make half the map accessible.

You know what I miss? Loading torpedoes in MML's.

Don't remind me, I miss the hell out of that.

As someone who has never used torpedoes in BT, can you explain why that was a thing that was good? LIke, would torps even fly when shot?

Because as you can see from my submarines upthread, you otherwise have to mount an entirely different launcher type, which can't be used out of the water. MMLs using Torpedoes as another ammo type nearly made regular Torp launchers obsolete.

You put a spare ton of LRT's in your launcher and you win at all underwater combat in a mech if you have to go in the water. Also, any custom sub can just make use of a single launcher for long/short and even surface attacks and mines.

Well, yeah, that kinda makes sense. You'll never want to fire torps on land or normal missiles underwater. The number of units that reliably get in combat both underwater and above water can probably be counted on one hand.

>that has got to be the most rare and specific thing that isn't actually extinct
As a man who's paid extra in a campaign to get his machine shop spun up for Clint gyroes, I call bullshit..
That said, you could probably strap an Axman head on there and mount some VGLs or a Shad LRM on the shoulders. It's even got modern close-combat software ready to go. I know the tonnage is different, but back in the MadMaxtech days that wasn't really a problem - just ask Shorty Sneed and his Pixie-headed RFL.

Attached: tumblr_inline_oaiyzzUEhE1r92qsj_540.jpg (480x640, 62K)

>Pixie-headed RFL.
The best part is it's just stuck up top and the old Rifleman cockpit is still there and empty, like the inverse of some of those torso cockpit designs like the Enforcer III DA.

Attached: ENF-7D_Enforcer_III.jpg (704x680, 85K)

NEED SUBMISSIONS BY APRIL 1

>Official /btg/RO design challenge:

We are looking for Glider Protomech designs for Clan Snow Raven. Designs must meet the following criteria:
>12 tons
>Must have at least 7/11 Glider MP

Designs with tech not currently used on canon protomechs are encouraged. Similarly, attempt to limit it to the base design and 0-1 variants unless you have a really good reason.

Submission requirements:
>Must be submitted in .txt file format with all construction data filled out (see pic for example). Megamek or record sheet files are appreciated, but are not required.
>Must have at least rudimentary fluff (state it's for, what it does)
>Must have your name included in the files supplied for the design
>Must have a description of how you want it to look. It can be as vauge as "small and blocky" or as detailed as "here's three examples of canon designs I'm taking from and a sketch of the end result"
>Ideally, give us a zipped folder with the format "Mechname_Tonnage(Creator name)" and all of the above inside

Submit your designs to the /btg/RO Email listed on the Built for War blog.

A convenient list tech not used on protos that can be legally mounted:
>Angel ECM
>Improved Heavy Medium Laser
>Ultra ACs
>Protomech AC 4 & 8
>LBX-5
>AMS
>NARC
>(non-quad) Protomech Melee System
>MG array
>Torpedoes
>UMUs
>ER, Heavy, and Vehicle Flamers
>Watchdog CEWS
>Vehicular Grenade Launcher
>ER Pulse Laser
>Streak LRMs
>Recon Camera
>Remote Sensor Disperser
>Re Lasers
>TSEMP
>RISC Repeating TSEMP
>RISC Viral Jammers

>Protomech designer:
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/238471201633206272/425685873305321472/Protomech_Designer_v0.9.jar
For anyone trying to make protos for the design contest, here's the thing I've been using. It has a number of bugs and errors, like the inability to remove weapons after placing them and most weapons requiring the wrong number of heat sinks. It works at the basic level, though.

Attached: Proto Format.png (757x562, 56K)

Explain to me again why half tons of SRM and LRM ammo aren't a thing? I don't want 24 rounds of inferno ammo, just half a dozen.

IIRC the original Orion had like 1.5 tons of SRM ammo. I don't know why they changed that. Also it bothers me they wouldn't allow calculations for quarter ton math for IS endo steel and XL engines.

Can't you do that with fractional accounting?

It wouldn't even be bad if MMLs/LRMs/SRMs had access to the Torpedo/Missile hybrid ammo that Battle Armors get. It'd avoid the MML outdoing all the other launchers while letting amphibious units be actually amphibious.

There's neat potential for campaigns and scenarios involving sub-based resistance/defenders performing sea-based amphibious assaults against an invading force's land position, but the fact torpedoes are worthless above water(and that pretty much everything other than torpedoes suck underwater) makes amphibious units pretty bad.

They are. You can load a bin with whatever number of rounds you want up to the max. You just can't design a machine with half ton bins. Well, you can with Machine Guns but that's a later thing.

You can but it's not table legal really

>hurr durr I'm a total fucking retard

>>hurr durr I'm a total fucking retard
Well, you are. Underloading and underweight designs are 100% basic legal.

You can be as deliberately obtuse as you like, I won't stop you.

Right. Wouldn't this be true if you were running a campaign and your boys were running low on ammo and had less than a full load of ammo? I would think it wouldn't make a stink.

He's clearly talking about half ton bins you dumb fucks. Just like MG ammo.

>You can but it's not table legal really
Well, sure, but if you clear it with your table, you shouldn't have any issues. Of course, fractional accounting is super problematic for other reasons but there it is.

My group just house rules that torps are just an alternate ammo type for missile launchers. Easier and better that way. It also helps keep missile boats stay competitive (or at least have their own niche) in the era of double heat sinks.

youtube.com/watch?v=mDQIQ6-L_i0
If you have an hour to kill and want to see more HBS Battletech

Something stupid I realized from this video: in HBS BattleTech, high pilot numbers are better, so a Gunnery 5 mechwarrior is better at shooting than a Gunnery 2 mechwarrior. I know this is because it makes more sense to normies but god damn does it trigger me something fierce as a BT fan.

Mechcommander did that too didnt it?

Yes, because that's how it should always have been.

Seriously mate? BattleTech's charm is in being odd with its mechanics and rules. It isn't the same without the backwards numbers.

Attached: bestfish.png (619x562, 124K)

What's backwards about the numbers? They are literally the number that you add to the dice roll required.

There's a whole bunch of weird shit you can do under the rules for 'FrankenMechs'.

Sorry, I can't give a reference. Not trolling the books for that, playing MWO right now.

Who here green birb?

Whats your favorite Green Birb Galaxy?

Will Green Birb ever ditch their shitty Khan?

Attached: jadetimbie.png (909x1314, 883K)

>Who here green birb?
kys shitfag

>Whats your favorite Green Birb Galaxy?
Dead ones.

>Will Green Birb ever ditch their shitty Khan?
Nah, it's what they deserve.

>Will Green Birb ever ditch their shitty Khan?

There are no heroes left in clan

Attached: Beckett_Malthus.jpg (451x654, 28K)

Clearly it was the forehead that got him the position.

How do I check if I actually preordered Battletech several years ago or not?

Why can't they advance the Battletech metaplot by having the Inner Sphere finally beat the Clans and open the way for a new Outer Sphere expansion?

Checking your backerkit, by checking your email, logging into kickstarter maybe?

Steam should have a way for you to check. Otherwise, you can check Kickstarter if you backed it there.

...I think that happened, user. Whatever the Jades are, it ain't anything 'lil Nicky had in mind. The Horses are deeply weird. Nobody else is particularly trying.

Because everyone at CGL sucks clan dick. That's why the next Era is ilClan

>Crowdfunding
>Preorder
I think you may be confused

I don't even think the Inner Sphere needs to beat the clans. I figure that after like 100 fucking years in the Inner Sphere, the Clans should just be turned into Inner Sphere States

Yeah, that's what happened, pretty much. Plus whatever the fuck is going on in Hazen's head.

Did it? There's no indication in the fluff that the Clans have changed beyond Jade Falcon becoming more assholish.

Not him but the Falcons are the only true blue 3050 style guys left. Bears and Ravens play in their little cordoned living areas away from the regular people in their occupation zones while Horses act like they're still in the homeworlds, the Foxes have gone full gypsy, and the Wolves are full of freebirth Mariks and being led by the incest spawn of the Steiner-Davions.

It's honestly Falcons or nothing if you want classic clanners. And Malvina is trying her damndest to dismantle that.

>It's honestly Falcons or nothing if you want classic clanners
There's also probably the homeworld clans as classic Clanners being Clanners.

>incest-spawn
The what now? Did MW DA go full Lannister?

The leader of the Wolves is Katherine/Katrina's tube baby that she had made using Victor's DNA melded with hers.

Not full Lannister, but still pretty nasty.

>tube-baby
The "tube" was a Bad Dragon injection system and you know it.

Iunno. I was kinda hoping that after 100 years we would see some interesting new nations emerging from mixing of clan and inner sphere cultures.

But the books are all pretty vague on this with a lot of handwaving and sidestepping.

Nope it's all going to be clan in the next Era. With tiny reservations for the people who don't suck clan dicks but they still keep around to commit war crimes against.

Here's a hot flash
The ENTIRE reason for the FCCW was that, for once in his life, Victor didn't fuck the princess. The reason, Katherine was the princess in question
She eventually managed to use clantech to produce the incest baby that could have been First Lord Of The FedCom Star League if Vic had given him to her the natural way

>Sticking your dick in Katrina
EWwwww
It doesn't even matter that she's his sister, it's just sickening to think of getting sloppy seconds from Vlad Ward.

FINALLY. We finally get to have the Capfags AND the Sunsfags put down. I don't even care how much yiffing there'll be in the new furry uber-state. I just want to see fans of both those factions brought low. A plague on both their houses.

Ah, but if he'd done it on time, he'd have gotten absolute first crack at her

As long as its not Star Adder, I don't even give a fuck

>Nope it's all going to be clan in the next Era.

I still maintain hope that the WoB remnants left in ComStar will whip off their hoods and prove that they're the remains of Clan Wolverine (salvaged from the Vandenburg White Wings) and that they've been on Terra all along preparing ComStar to be the front line of defense against the Clans, and that Clan Wolverine was the ilClan all along, which is why Focht was so freakishly perfect against them on Tukkayid.

I know it won't happen, because it would make me happy. But it's nice to have a Schrodinger's Plot; all Clans and no Clans are all equally the ilClan, until a copy of ilClan is opened and the wave function collapses.

>hating on Best Clan

Attached: 1Wbl04n.gif (480x270, 7.91M)

It'll be burrs, and you guys know it.

I'm not sure its all Clans.

I doubt it will be Burrock or Mongoose or Widowmaker, for example.

Well I'm a sucker for warships and aerospace so... Lambda? You can even pretend you're Blood Spirits.

Attached: Clan-Jade-Falcon-Lambda.gif (150x150, 4K)

>10-12m tall

Attached: 1429122043823.png (829x1065, 1.83M)

What would be the best size?

Attached: size-chart-01.gif (721x594, 51K)

Something something never relax.

Attached: DC01.png (1900x1080, 4.21M)

It's always the fucking Burrs

Attached: drinkgif.gif (500x328, 998K)

I'm trying to set up against the bot for the first time. I want to play as clans during the clan invasion, but when I generate a contract, they are all for missions vs other clans or pirates. I've moved my unit close to where the action should be and I think the date is right (Mid march 3050). Am I doing something wrong?

You're a shitpile group most likely user. Do you think you and your dezgra band are gonna be used as frontline troops? Aside from that, playing as Clans is probably pretty buggy still.

She can relax on muh dick hurr durr

>Clans
>Mercenaries
Get a load of this surat

I've only set up a binary, could that be it? I have no idea of the criteria for the missions I want to fight.

Their newest plotship that's not totally OP the designer said so will lead them to victory. So start drink even harder when Leviathan III get's going in ilClans storylines.

/btg/ needs more drac posting

>next plotline is heavily foreshadowed to be Cappies wrecking the RotS while the Suns and Bears DP the Dracs
>actually expecting the two fan favourite factions to suffer
ISHYGDDT

The Vandenberg White Wings were just ComStar blowing up a Black Lion. That's even fairly common IC knowledge now since the old ComStar SB is something they put out for general release.

Speaking as someone who has a sister quite like Katherine, right down to what's clearly an inferiority complex, persecution complex, and borderline personality disorder?

Shit no. 500 LY still isn't enough distance between you and that level of crazy. You definitely don't want to stick your dick into that food processor of misery. Bad enough to have a relatively normal sibling relationship.

>RotS
>fan favorite

r u tryin 2 ruse me

Dude the RotS is crazy popular.

BT ain't all grogs

Do you have any evidence of this at all? The old OF poll which is the only thing I know of that comes close to answering this had them circling the drain iirc.

clarkesworldmagazine.com/green_04_14_reprint/
I've often wondered if literate Big Mecha stories could be written the way Space Opera has been revived and made into high quality SF
I have found my first example that it can, this is a really neato story and the planet and conflict is very 3rd Succession War

>Victor missed out on being around Omi while she was pregnant

Sad!

Attached: IMG_2376.png (480x603, 672K)

Huh? The Cappies are the fan favourites, and they're staying on the upswing.

Nope. Falcons are the only ones. Blood Spirits are all about muh true way, but they live in their own little world of Kerensky's teachings like mental patients. They are also poor as fuck. Jags were close but fucked up their inter caste relationships. And as a result they were always weak economically and could never win in a long exhausting conflict.

Get your shit together, tank master race.

Attached: at 2 tiles away.png (689x372, 27K)

>They are also poor as fuck.
Also dead as fuck now.

He meant Fedrats and Crappies.

>calling the best successor state and the only true heir to the Star League "fedrats"
oh you

What did you do? Load it up with farmers and drive it at full speed to shoot at a javelin that was moving at full speed?

That jav is mine and it jumped a canyon to get to them. I guess they didn't expect it to do that considering how it's armor has the consistency of honey but I've been playing its pilot as a near suicidal cunt. It's been working out well for her so far. Hilariously her companion tried to do the same against a Crusader two scenarios back and he got bopped in the face and is now probably going to need a new liver and will spend the rest of the contract in medbay.

The Scum League, Scavenger Lords and Tube Babies can go and die in nuclear fire. :-P
#AmarisDidNothingWrong

Attached: iNJXiL-vfehfENcOWnfj9bLK5NluqwM47G2EwcuPmQk.jpg (1024x608, 130K)

Unironically true.

SLDF were cowards.

They call it 'hard nines' for a reason.

Is there Davion, Kurita, Capellan or Rasalhague flavors of these backgrounds?

I've got the MOC, S7, Tikonov, JF, Lyran, Marik Taurian, Comstar, WOB and Nova Cat ones

Attached: 20dddfdbc53497465a2cdafdc9c0e2e8728e5cee.png (1900x1080, 2.29M)

Can you share the ones you have?

FWL best league

Attached: db3f1e290eb900f05c17900318901eb9e5436083.png (1900x1080, 2.28M)

Attached: e2e6a95c914f8ffd56b176a80972c277cebb3d22.png (1900x1080, 3.84M)

>Is there Davion, Kurita, Capellan or Rasalhague flavors of these backgrounds?

There is a Capellan one. The Drac one is , in case you scrolled by too fast.

Attached: battletech_capellan_waifu_WP01.png (1900x1080, 4.11M)

Fire Javelin is too pure a waifu to die to tank fire.

Hey Xotl, join the /btg/RO discord when you can