Weekend Warcraft Lore General

The Tide Take You Edition

Discuss the lore and story of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Document compendium: Contains official (ex-canon) DnD 3.x variants and a fan made DnD 5e version! Also contains the official Warcraft Chronicles volumes 1 and 2.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

Previous thread:

Attached: 1517047467865.jpg (864x1064, 238K)

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/zsdvgk.mp4
youtube.com/watch?v=jgGRxj_GetU
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8393770.stm)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for God-King of the Alliance Varian Wrynn

>Don't forget that plot in MoP where Varian had to learn what it means to be the High King by going around and showing up all the Alliance's racial leaders, having them recognize his prowess and declare him their spiritual liege. We only got the Tyrande scenario (embarrass her when breaking a Horde siege) and the dwarf scenario (team up with Moira and bust some troll heads when the other dwarf leaders didn't want to play ball).
I wonder what the gnome scenario would've been like.

Attached: 1513471576253.png (665x900, 938K)

Maiev "The True Terror of the Tides" Shadowsong

what's a gnome?

You know good fucking well what a gnome is.

Attached: 1387584236275.png (202x238, 97K)

>121,172 robo-units have been assembled and now march to face unknown threat in the Magnetic Chasm below the Molten Eternium Sea. Increase generosity circuits in all Blingtron units to minimize organic awareness.

>yfw there's a war going on right now

Attached: 1514469599280.png (720x494, 443K)

Maiev "Had To Be Rescued By Malfurion And Tyrande" Shadowsong

Attached: 1458152549464.jpg (738x1083, 239K)

Remember when Arthas found a secret society of Sasquatch and a giant penguin? Or Tyrande and Furion finding a giant panda. What was their plan all along?

Attached: PenguinKing.jpg (201x310, 17K)

How's Teldrassil this time of the year, High Priestess? I hear it is unseasonably warm.

Attached: hc04fciph1zz.jpg (547x602, 74K)

>the massive penguin colony on the north coast of Icecrown
>none are plagued or undead despite being next to Scourge HQ
Who really controlled the Scourge?

You know my suffering.

Attached: 8f4[1].jpg (1387x702, 93K)

>Ah the HIGH KING! Is here to save us, hooray!
>Varian strolls into someone elses Kingdom like he owns the place
>Varian: "Yes, yes, you see I'm a tactical genius what we'll do is call out vague insults and step up some traps as we lure the troggs in to fighting us."
>Varian continued, "Certainly nothing a 10,000 year old warmaster could think of."
"HOORAY FOR THE HIGH KING"

Attached: face[1].jpg (530x329, 71K)

So that's who's been controlling Bolvar

Attached: latest[3].jpg (420x319, 32K)

Don't forget the moment where Gelbin says he wants to kill the troggs with rocks, and Varian teaches him how to use guns instead.

Attached: 28fecf054d57a43e6dccd18e8c0d67f3.jpg (838x1200, 766K)

>
I hope a Blizzard intern, or who ever they're paying to moniter these threads takes these posts in to consideration.

How do you RP 1v1 and other combats, with /roll? Is there some GHI item for this or what.

Attached: Forsaken_catapult.png (250x325, 111K)

They've known that people hate this High King crap for years.

I've seen people roll for their abilities to hit and roleplay from there.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they didn't push it because it made a good story, but because they (self-admittedly) don't know how to write Alliance stories and this let them streamline the entire faction into just one, which at least is less effort.

That clipping.

Was it Metzen, or was it Kosak? Because the whole "the Alliance is only generic humans"-thing seems like it'd fit Kosak's WC2 obsession.

wtf I love Kosak now

Metzen hasn't had a major hand in the warcraft story for years now. He had apparently been semi-retired since at least pre-wod

I feel bad for the gnomes. As some youtuber put it "can invent robots and lighter-than-air travel but can't invent themselves into being relevant." I've given up all hope for gnomes to do anything ever but a man can dream.

I was under the impression it was Metzen that pushed the Hing King thing but I know Kosak played a major role after Cataclysm, if you faggots hadn't noticed I deleted my post because I didn't want to beat on the old man Metzen.

Attached: 60199566_3da2afed8d[1].jpg (500x431, 89K)

Yet the Horde manages to make the concept work. The Horde is orc focused culturally and has a Warchief as leader, but incorporates the various groups into the cohesive whole.

That's how there can be a Trade Prince, a First Arcanist, various Chieftans, a Lord Regent, and a Banshee Queen at supposedly the same political level.

The only way to fix Alliance stories is to have more nonhumans in their cutscenes. Tyrande, Muradin, Moira, Gelbin, Velen, etc. need to appear alongside and interact with Anduin, Genn, and Jaina.

I agree with what the other anons have been saying. It would be better if they treated the Alliance like its original concept and what it's actually supposed to be. Scrap the High King nonsense. Just wanted to echo that.

Attached: 89311ec84d3bb248a7296352d5b3315c[1].jpg (550x580, 61K)

Unfortunately the only way for gnomes to get treated decently is for the design team to stop playing favorites.
Otherwise their only appearances will keep being "let's katamari over 1000 gnomes ahaha"

>>>/faggot/

On the one hand, I do agree with your intent. On the other, I'm really getting tired of the story revolving entirely around the faction leaders (and MAYBE their seconds). Like, Mathias Shaw, Elling Trias and Reginald Windsor were far more important to Stormwind's storyline in vanilla than either Bolvar or Anduin.

In hindsight, it seems pretty symbolic that Varian's return involved him stealing the players' accomplishments and Windsor being ignominiously burned to a crisp.

Attached: Death_of_Windsor[1].png (652x876, 1.32M)

Or, you know, interacting with each other instead of needing to always talk to the humans.

Draenei, Broken, and Blood elves are already basically best friends because of that whole Sunwell, Naaru, and Paladins thing.
They can add Pandarens since these three groups already work best as third party "bigger picture" groups.
Also because I want big muscular races to plow pandaren women
my.mixtape.moe/zsdvgk.mp4
Also, we need to find some kind of troll race to join. Maybe a troll group that wants to be the new big kids on the block, fuck the zandalari. Nightborne could work but they're not savage enough.

Attached: tumblr_oz2nof7eLF1sp8yqvo1_1280.jpg (1280x1280, 414K)

Truth be told, I would've made a third faction consisting of Forsaken, Blood Elves, Naga, and Draenei. Groups opposed to the Scourge and the Burning Legion.

Oh, and I would've made Alliance be Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, and High Elves.

Horde would be Orcs, Trolls, Tauren, and Ogres. I don't know how I'd expand the night elves.

I'm not too sure putting two paladin races, especially the turbozealots that are the draenei on the same faction as the Forsaken is a good idea.

I would fucking kill to have Mathias Shaw do ANYTHING. He's allegedly the strongest "rogue" class character in lore and while it's kind of fitting we know nothing about him, SI:7 is so integral to so many major quest lines it's downright dumb we haven't had any major interactions with Shaw when he wasn't a dread lord.

Attached: Mathias_Shaw_cinematic.jpg (1173x746, 62K)

They are supposed to be mysterious though. No one knows what they do or how much influence they have.

>SI:7, Alliance intelligence, is crucial to several world plots
>The Shattered Hand, the Horde equivalent, gets nothing of note

>He's allegedly the strongest "rogue" class character in lore

How do you figure? I'd have thought it was Garona (or Maiev if you count her).

>The Shattered Hand as a Horde organisation hasn't been mentioned since Cataclysm

Attached: 380de0a25e2398fdd347c25fb44ec0b8.png (270x231, 93K)

I was always under the impression that was Garona.

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1600x1200, 227K)

There's several who make a case for being the "strongest" rogue in the world, be it Garona, Shaw, Maiev or Valeera Sanguinar (who is the default rogue champion in Hearthstone).

Attached: Valeera-Full.jpg?version=762f3990b8f6efb1924d7399ef04f1c5.jpg (2925x4950, 3.17M)

Valeera was only chosen as the rogue hero in Hearthstone because otherwise there would have been 4.5 orcish heroes and no elves other than Malfurion

>The Uncrowned was going to feature some unknown guy from the Shattered Hand called "The Hood" to stand opposite Shaw
>Both of them were yanked from the beta

Garona is definitely one of the most IMPORTANT rogues in Warcraft history, being the one who assassinated King Llane among other feats.

Attached: GaronaAlternate.jpg (786x1017, 103K)

>Saurfang sulks behind several rows of heavy steel bars and a trapped trench, glowering at Shaw
>"When we met on equal footing I will take your head as a trophy!"
>Mathias Shaw snickers, turning his back to the old orc and leaving him in his predicament.
>"If we ever meet on equal footing I'd have already made several grave errors at that point."

>tfw you'll never see interactions like this.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1680x942, 172K)

I'm not sure I like nuGarona's design, I always felt she was up there but it seems strange we haven't seen a prominent Deathstalker/Lightstalker.

All of you are wrong. The greatest Rogue (who happens to be Subtlety spec) is Dagg.
Truly, a master of dis guys. And the only one who went out of Draenor besides Gul'dan.

Attached: 9mFTRgX.jpg (1680x1050, 249K)

Truly a being to surpass the void lords.

Attached: Arthas boots.png (335x414, 153K)

Shaw reminds me of the old man from Hunter X Hunter for some reason. Like you just know he secretly runs the entire world...

youtube.com/watch?v=jgGRxj_GetU

The ironic part outside of a method for blizzard to spend less time writing Alliance lore, was that the Trials of the High King were so poorly received that they kill the arc after two scenarios. They then went quiet about it for 2 expansions, then all of a sudden start calling Anduin "High King" out of the blue, hoping players won't question it.

If there ever is a story to explain it, it will be in a book or Twitter post so that the majority of players won't see it.

The fact that a Nelf wild god cucked both the races that worshiped it to empower a literal "Who" over them is disgusting.

Attached: alliance storylines in a nutshell.png (700x756, 117K)

>Have scores of naked night elf women literally worship you
>Daydream about Tyrande

What was wrong with Illidan?

Attached: harbingers-illidan-lorecast-1.jpg (1500x524, 30K)

>last frame
is that DrGraevling's character?

It's called stalking.

Valeera is a nobody. If we're talking Hearthstone then Arch-Thief Rafaam is a way better rogue.

>Arch-Thief Rafaam is the main antagonist of the League of Explorers adventure in Hearthstone, serving as the third and fourth boss encounters in the Hall of Explorers, the fourth and final wing of the adventure. He is an ethereal thief who travels to different worlds to retrieve powerful artifacts,[1] and claims to have collected artifacts from hundreds of worlds.[2]

Attached: Arch-Thief_Rafaam.jpg (1097x1195, 361K)

I like your deck... I think I will TAKE IT

wasn't there like some lore behind a gnome rogue in the SI7 who was able to kill many Dwarf Gaurdsmen with a single strike.

Definitely looks like Monara

Attached: 133032014795.jpg (278x251, 17K)

That guy had the most obnoxious voice acting.

I think so?

Blizzard fancies themselves comic book writers. Metzen was an unrepentant Marvel fanboy, and Kosak never progressed past cliche web-comics. Anduin is clearly heading for a generic "young adult" story arc.

>Yet the Horde manages to make the concept work.
Because writing for the Horde has always been their passion. The entire point of the Blue Warchief title was so they can spend less time writing alliance-unique lore, and just mirror Horde quest texts.

Attached: the horde.jpg (1501x1200, 712K)

>Blizzard will continue to push the High King title and run the Alliance in to the ground until they're a homogeneous blob

Attached: item_6776[1].jpg (400x225, 35K)

t. Elise Starseeker

True. He is the best.

Graevling is buddies with Jo, it checks out

Attached: 1587.png (700x300, 90K)

What is that race/face/hair combo?

Pretty much. Diversity is a Horde-only quality. The Alliance is a human-ran empire with non-human vassal states.

If you want something that isn't HFY lawful good overdrive, the only option is to roll Horde.

Attached: Horde party.jpg (1600x986, 380K)

She's also a fan favorite. She's in HotS too as the defacto WarCraft Rogue representative.

Could be, the horns look similar enough.

Attached: 1503509823421.jpg (600x900, 286K)

>She's also a fan favorite.
because she was in Hearthstone. Before that no one knew who she was because she only appears in the trash tier Varian wank comics

>loli monara

Attached: 1450950317314.jpg (278x316, 58K)

They're really lazy about it, otherwise Night Elves would have had their own objectives and be tenuous allies at best, while Dwarves would be off doing their own shit a lot of the time. The only 'supporting actor' race among the Alliance are the Gnomes and maybe Draenei now that the Legion is finished.

You wait until she's 118, the legal age of Draenei majority.

Attached: 1493680662768.png (699x714, 413K)

>tfw I like some of the Alliance allied races but I don't want to roll Alliance

I think she's more than ready, sir.

Attached: 1436999621348.jpg (400x400, 57K)

She was "that blood elf who hangs out next to Varian for some reason."

Okay, so what?

I guess so. That picture sums up why I don't really roleplay in WoW anymore though, it's so over the top these days.

Attached: wow%20classic%20release%20date[1].jpg (590x332, 232K)

Why not just roll an alt for it?

desu I'm surprised there isn't a small Veeky Forums-based roleplay community on one of the RP servers.

I try to make my transmogs look more subdued unless i'm playing a ridiculous class like the edgelord Deathknights or a Warlock.

I imagine it will crop up when classic is released but most of Veeky Forums are oldfags that don't have time for that shit if I'm one to tell. I doubt many of them want anything to do with warcraft RP when they have much superior alternatives.

she wasn't added to Hearthstone because she was a fan favourite, because no one knew who she was before Hearthstone

There is nothing wrong with the Alliance being human dominated its always been that way if anything the Horde is elf dominated and a EFY faction now besides the people who play blood elves only play them because they look like humans so they are Humanity fuck yea people too.

I wonder how the Alliance will feel when the only alternative to humans and night elves are the dwarves and gnomes.

>playing the classic meme
>waiting 2+ years for some bad nostalgia and a slim chance to roleplay

Stop being autistic.

>Varian kills a crocolisk with a stick
I remember in vanilla when Varian was literally sat beneath Alcaz Island dressed like the pompous prince he was portrayed as in the early novels/lore. It was weird to see him suddenly turn in to Conan the Barbarian that regularly rented his body out to a wild god.

Horde might be elf dominated by the players but they only give a shit about Orcs and Sylvannas as far as the storylines are concerned.

Dwarves were popular in classic thanks to Lord of the rings though. And there was always the handful of Gnome Mages in every classic guild with silly names.

He did allow Tauren in his ranks, right? I was under the impression that he only respected Orcs and Tauren, but if thats the case why aren't there any Tauren in SoO (except Ganon)?

Attached: 1519740397047.jpg (1920x1080, 422K)

He only respects Orcs, and then only Orcs who obey him.

>And there was always the handful of Gnome Mages in every classic guild with silly names.
>tfw Time Gnomes will never be finished

I played classic. I had dreams that I was leveling a Night Elf warrior and leveling black smithing in classic WoW when WoD came out because WoD failed my WoW addiction and even all the free achviements people were exploiting wasn't enough to keep me happy with WoD.

I wish my Orc warrior could have issued a batchall to him.

You were young and it was likely the first MMO you ever played, possibly the first roleplaying experience you ever had. Its not as good as you think it was, and it isn't better now. This is your brain on nostalgia.

Legion has been pretty okay. BfA promises to try and be a throwback to collect WC2/WC3/Vanilla nostalgic people so you might be more interested when it rolls around.

There's a surprising amount of people that play gnomes and dwarves on vanilla client, though I imagine most human RP will revolve around reclaiming Lordaeron.
>Stop liking things I don't like!
>If you aren't roleplaying in nuWoW it means you don't roleplay anywhere else and your life revolves waiting for classic
I've roleplayed on a variety of different private servers, including S's server (news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8393770.stm) when he was still around. My main roleplay is on the table.

Hmm, I thought he did allow Tauren. I'm sure I read it somewhere but maybe they already retconned it

nah WoD was legiantly shit even the questing story zones. Its the only time in my WoW history where i could say I was done with Warcraft. I came back because the legendary system seemed cool and all the top streamers were saying this was teh best expansion.