Horse General

Why are horses fucking awesome? What’s the best way to use horses as a dm? Any horse adventures? Do you give players horses in your games? Do you name your horses in game?

Attached: 57E6E271-311B-4915-9F92-3C7DED136E4B.jpg (1280x720, 222K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayard_(legend)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

In my current Agone campaign I had a Journist decide the best way to escape the lyphanian war camp (think Mongolian warrior culture) was by making one of their horses his permanent familiar. When I opened to the section on Lohan I actually found a whole page of different breeds of horses from Lyphan, each of which has some special ability, most of which get conferred to the rider. The Journist ended up with a horse that makes it's rider a more charismatic leader, fitting considering he was an ogre mercenary captain.

That’s fucking kickass. That list of horse breeds is cool

>be ranger
>DM allows me to pick heavy warhorse as my companion animal
>several sessions later it has a barding of flight, mithril horseshoes, enchanted armor and permanent enlarge creature
>get a magic whistle to call it whenever needed

Was pretty dope and the horse once kicked a hill giant to death unassisted.

I really like this idea with the mount influencing its rider and the rider influencing the horse.

>he doesn't even have Horseshoes of the Zephyr
fag

I once had a player get really mad because he went into the dungeon and left his horse behind at camp, and I specifically asked him if he was going to tie up the horse and he said no because he wanted to be able to 'get out in a hurry', whatever that means.

So he comes out of the dungeon a few hour later and his horse is gone. Wandered off. He got really mad because he thought I was 'stealing' his horse. It wasn't even very far away, it just wasn't near the camp.

Its a horse. Not a bicycle. If you just drop the reins and walk away it will get bored and start grazing and wandering around.

>we have to cross NottheAlps Mountains
>find BIG horses, twice as big as a normal horse,
>They're sturdy and aren't afraid of snow and rock, so we could pack them out to cross said mountains and still charge with them into battle. Party manages to tame a few with mushrooms and flowers. They're extremely docile.
>Feed them mushrooms daily.
>Use the horses to drag shit up the frozen cliffs, then take care of them by the fire in the cold nights. They also seem natural to these lands, so they are able to find green patches of land, which have good rabbits to hunt and mushrooms.
>Rock golem was about to fuck party up
>Horse fucking tackles it with all its might, sending it rolling downhill. Later dies from its wounds so 2 party members have to be carried by the same horse, which happens with no major issues because they're fucking strong.
>Finally reach the end of fuckhuge mountains
>Surprise, a war party is waiting for you there :^)
>Tired? It doesn't matter because our fuckhuge horses are like a young rhino fucking crushing the enemy ambushes
>Escape the valley like heroes, as the small war party cannot stop the riding party, since their own cavalry gets rekt and they cannot pursue.
>Battered and pelted with arrows, the bloodied horses stop at the end of the mountainous chain. It's their time to return.
>They stand proud once again, free from their baggage. They return. They had never been tamed, they just sensed the party was in trouble and they repaid our kindness with loyalty.
Sullen was my horse. Never forget

Attached: stal.jpg (736x612, 76K)

I’d fucking kill you if you did that no offense tho

That's nothing.

My players have lost several horses due to leaving it behind without anyone watching it.

One was stolen by literal horsethieves in the middle of the night.

Another was eaten by a griffyn while they were inside a large cave system hunting down monsters and trying to rescue some woodcutters.

Sucks to be them, but it was a valuable lesson.

Help me name my horse Veeky Forums

He's a warhorse that my paladin rides, has a brand in the shape of Heironeous' symbol (a fist gripping a lightning bolt).

Paladin's culture is French inspired, if that helps.

Attached: 1513300432244.jpg (722x904, 248K)

Le surrender. It should act all snobbish and superior in public but run away from every conflict. Eventually people will laugh at the cowardly horse. Your horse and your paladin secretly get off by being raped and humiliated by even the most pathetic enemies and eventually you do everything you can to please them even if its at your own detriment. People will look back on your paladin as a once great hero that was mind fucked into a pathetic submissive bitch.

>>They stand proud once again, free from their baggage. They return. They had never been tamed, they just sensed the party was in trouble and they repaid our kindness with loyalty.
Cool story.

I'm glad there are systems that tackle the most important roleplaying issues.

Having worked with horses, I can tell you that they're only afraid of two things.
Things that move, and things that don't.
Mules are chill, though.

''A man on a horse is spiritually as well as physically bigger than a man on foot.''

I feel like many medieval RPG's miss out by skipping over mounted combat and trying to fit it into a grid-based infantry slugfest. For instance in DnD you have classes focussed around mounted combat, but most classes are hardly better off on horse. And a party with one mounted combatant and 3 footsoldiers discourage using the horses speed to your advantage. Something like the abstract range system of that one Star Wars RPG (and I think genesys?) would probably work better, with a mounted combatant more easily dipping in and out of range.

Mounted combat was a huge deal since ancient warfare right up until WW1 and its a shame that it is hardly represented at all in RPGs.

“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.”

Attached: 1497742249194.gif (500x281, 378K)

What the fucks wrong with you

HORSE PUSSY

You're playing a very dangerous game, user.

and I raise you: the Horse Heresy

Attached: The_Luna_Heresy.jpg (3000x2000, 1.38M)

Horse tiers is a concept I really like. A Destrier with an illustrious pedigree should be a better war-horse than the bog-standard "war" horse you buy at Ye Olde Used Hooves Stable.

I'm still in love with Demigryphs and Griffons, so they will forever be my end-game for mounts.

Attached: evgeniya-egorova-hef-dragon-steed.jpg (1920x953, 541K)

I think I threw up in my mouth a little

Epona = Gallic Horse Goddess.

Sterope (Steh-row-pay) = apollo (God of the Sun's Steed).

Lots of famous Norse horses from mythology, but sound very norse and less croissant.

>Horse
>French
M A R E N G O

Sterope sounds like a nice name, thank you.

Nice to know we still evoke a reaction from time to time.

I dunno, I like having a mount who levels. I’m a sucker for animal companions that turn into magical creatures as they level.

Had a pretty fun 4 or 5 session run with the party being light dragoons in a not-at-all Napoleonic setting.

Kinda got boring to run and play after a while tho

B A Y A R D
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayard_(legend)

Yeah that's lame as fuck. This is how you get a shit murderhobo game where everybody shouts disclaimers after everything they do.

They player just wanted to convey that his character thought the task at hand was urgent. Should he've read his mind to know the horse was just around the corner or something?

No value was added at all, just bullshit """realism""".

Attached: (you).png (715x501, 219K)

It's dms like him who make you cautious to try anything in a game cause you never know what he'll say kills the party or some stupid shit.

COUCH LANCES, CRUSH RHODOKS*, GET BITCHES. It's a simple approach but I find it works pretty much universally. I generally name my horse the Black after one from a series of novels I read in the dim and distant past.
* Or whatever group of disgusting foot scum dare oppose you.

Question would Centaurs have Human genitals or horse genitals?

>Why are horses fucking awesome?

Because they're stupid&easily spooked, smell like shit, produce massive amounts of shit everyday, can draw heavier loads than bulls, can be ridden, horse milk is better than cow milk, and on top of that their meat tastes good.

Don't forget that when mares go into estrus, they turn into the biggest barnyard sluts around. They'll follow you around and get super protective/defensive and constantly rub at you and present.

t. user who worked with horses for a few summers

I once played a bard who was a devotee of Sharess and was on a quest to fuck one lady of every sexy race in the land. His horse was called My Girlfriend.

You guys are not-fun GMs who have also never seen a horse up close in person.

>Why are horses fucking awesome?
Iunno, taste good I guess?

In my latest game of pathfinder we accidentally discovered that Goblins HATE horses. My character being a sorcerer summons a horse whenever we encounter a goblinoid creature and it instantly becomes our damage sponge. It almost feels like cheating.