EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Exponential damage edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Also unofficial, also GOAT search interface.
scryfall.com

>Thread Question
What's your favorite massive damage combo?

Attached: mtgiconicmastersscourgeofvalkas__82975.1511302840.jpg (223x311, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dwarven-alliances/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-downward-spiral-4/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-10-16-marchesa-the-black-rose/?cb=1521959782
sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=63494
sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=51852
sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=79915
sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=45497
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Damn, beat me to the new thread.

>Thread Question
Uh... Savage Ventmaw and Aggravated Assault? Does that count?

Attached: ventmaw.jpg (312x445, 69K)

>Thread Question

Attached: 95 (1).jpg (312x445, 71K)

Patron of the Moon + Amulet of Vigor + Sunscorched Desert + some way to bounce lands back to your hand

Infinite damage from such a shitty land, I love it

theres a another bad land that Patron helps enable

Attached: Magosi.jpg (223x310, 32K)

simple but feels so good

Attached: damag.png (680x310, 519K)

>play this boy
>pump him when he swings
>get 6-10 eldrazi spawn
>drop thromok
>rest is history

god damn i love this card, also spicy as fuck in Jor Kadeen
>swing for 8
>every damage point that gets through you get a 3/1
such a great card, just wish he had haste.

Attached: rapacious.jpg (190x265, 12K)

What's the best commander for my sissy selesnya ass?

>What's your favorite massive damage combo?
Caged Sun, Cabal Coffers, Exsanguinate, Sanguine Bond

Sisay, of course :)

Attached: shm-237-rhys-the-redeemed.png (745x1040, 1.73M)

Real talk, why would Wizards limit Brawl to Standard only? Also, by making commander damage irrelevant and upping the life points to 30, they're severely limiting the types of viable decks to midrange/Timmy decks.

Did anyone say haste?

Attached: Xenagos-God-of-Revels.jpg (730x411, 294K)

Would you play Brawl if you chose from a previous standard like Alara-Zendikar or Theros-Khans?

Can this be a Brawl thread too?

commander mythics arent selling enough packs
that's literally all it is

standard commander sounds like fucking ass, way less commander variety and the decks themselves have a ridiculously small amount of options.

honestly, it'd probably be more interesting as a format if it *wasn't* singleton.

Karametra is solid. Just get pic related and rampant growth at instant speed for however much mana you got.

Attached: Image.jpg (223x310, 31K)

Ravnica-TS could be fun.

If Brawl ascends past meme format status... maybe!

i use fires of yavimaya but whatever floats ur boat

Make a thread right beside the Frontier one.

Aggravated assault + Neheb/Savage Ventmaw
Xenagod is the best, fight me.

Does this work like I think it does?

>Silas and Hope on the field
>Silas and Hope attack Opponent and Opponent takes combat damage from both
>Silas's ability triggers
>Hold priority
>At instant speed, sacrifice Hope to silence Opponent
>Hope's ability resolves
>Silas's ability resolves
>I target Hope in my graveyard
>Second main phase. I cast Hope for {1}
>Opponent is noncreature-silenced until my next turn

Can I chain this ability in this way so to prevent my opponent from ever playing sorceries?

Attached: silas and hope.png (446x311, 308K)

No. That'd be like asking if Legacy and Standard could be discussed in the same thread.

not in the same turn
when hope of ghirapur changes zones it becomes a new object and everything that knew about it before forgets it.

so only the ghirapur that hit your opponent can resolve its ability, and only the hope of ghirapur that was originally in the graveyard can be recurred.

but if you do this combo every turn, yes. it does work.

But Xenagos IS the best! May the Great Revel last for all time!

Attached: serpent-dancers.jpg (480x680, 152K)

Aurelia + SoFaF + Aggravated Assault. Throw in a Rogue’s Passage for good measure.

Competitive Deck = Fast Mana + Tutors + Win-Cons

Right?

Given the multiplayer nature of the format, "competitive" is a useless term. Outside of 1v1 cEDH is a meme.

Fast mana, good disruption, multiple reliable avenues of victory and resilience

don't forget redundancy and protection

and card draw

How do I play Stasis like a degenerate?

Attached: 1367971080552.png (241x274, 20K)

Doesn't work because you need to choose the target of Silas's ability before you are able to sacrifice the thopter - you can't just "hold priority" to stop a triggered ability being put onto the stack

Give the thopter first strike

That'd work, yes

lol I had a bonkers-ass win tonight
>no one can swing because of Player A's Ensnaring Bridge
>drop a Word of Seizing on player B's Blightsteel on my turn
>Harmless Offering it to Player A while getting confused looks
>Target it with Backlash while it's under Player A's control, insta-death
>drop Price of Progress, respond with Teferi's Protection, Player B eats shit because of all his nonbasics
Thank God for my friend's Dictate of Karametra

How memetastic is Chandra, Fire or Kaladesh superfriends MLD stax?
How much stax vs fun burn should there be?

>Fast Mana + Tutors + Wincons
I had a giant post explaining the archetypes of competitive metas typed up, but you're pretty much right. Now, you can rock the equation like:

>Competitive Deck = Lock Piece + something to make it asymmetrical + Wincons
or
>Competitive Deck = Consistent Card Draw + Versatile Removal + Wincons

And you could probably mix and match any of them together, but in general, when you get to a high enough level, fast mana and tutors for your wincons just make everything better, though glass cannon lists are extremely overrated.

No, but here's something fun AND janky you can do with Silas:

>get silas onto the battlefield with shimmer myr
>equip worldslayer and aqueos form, or anything that lets him deal at least 1 damage to a player in combat
>swing, tap all your mana so it's floating
>put the triggers so it goes Silas' combat damage trigger, worldslayer's nuke everything trigger, and finally casting an artifact with flash
>you now have exactly one thing of your choice on the board while no one has anything, have fun!

We don't discuss stillborns here user.

Brawl has what tiny memers and frontier lacked, which is backing from wotc.

It has one thing they lacked, but still lacks the crucial element: "fun".

not really sure there's room in a deck for both burn and stax in edh, seem to clash too hard. i think if you want burn to work in edh you need to dedicate your entire deck to it, you have so much life to eat through

also i would think something like neheb would work much better for that strategy, baby chandra just doesnt do much

I could use some comments on this deck: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dwarven-alliances/
I put a bunch of stuff in there to politic's my way in since dwarf tribal isnt amazing.

Attached: shortstack.jpg (241x347, 114K)

Neheb is definitely better, I just really want to make baby Chandra work. Since planeswalker abilities don't need mana, I was thinking stax and MLD might be away to protect her while advancing my game. Getting her emblem would be... something.

i guess thats fine, her emblem is a wincon

in that case i dont really think you care about other sources of burn, you'd rather just lock everybody out of the game while you tick up your planeswalkers

you can use rituals if you want, they can be useful to allow you to play stax pieces before opponents get to play their stuff, or you can play a planeswalker early before anybody has powerful attacking creatures to pressure it. and then later in the game they can help you flip your chandra

This guy in grixis Marchesa. Who knew they printed a red Craterhoof?

Attached: marton.jpg (223x310, 27K)

Rooftop, gravecrawler, phyrexian altar, diregraf captain

tiny leaders died because people solved the format

I like the effect, but I tried him in my marchesa list too, and he was just slow as balls. What do you use to speed him up?

>What's your favorite massive damage combo?
Pic related + a shit ton of mana

Attached: jou-128-hydra-broodmaster.jpg (672x936, 270K)

Teferi planeswalker.

I mean, I try to to pretty much always have haste in my Marchesa deck, because playing aggro in multiplayer is balls. Marton is usually enough damage to take out a player the turn I play him.

Here's my list:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-downward-spiral-4/

Nice art, almost looks done with pencils.

How do hydras fuck, btw?

7 vaganias

Maybe more. Imagine...

de man knows

teferi is de wey

Attached: 1515529894357.gif (112x112, 184K)

Very interesting. Does the daddy have multiple dicks, or one large dick that splits into smaller tentacles?

Why do so many Commander (tm) players get butthurt if you play good cards?

a large shaft split into several smaller ones

one little known fact is that a hydra has an equal number of heads on both ends

depends on the doujin

If you cut one head off, do two more grow back?

How do you like Lightning Mauler? I have tried battledriver and urabrask and they have to high of a cmc for me, and the lack of haste on battledriver himself hurt.

2 drop seems good though, and it looks like it would interact with the deck well. Do you feel he is better or worse than your other outlets?

My list in case you are interested: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-10-16-marchesa-the-black-rose/?cb=1521959782

I also play this fella in my Jor Kadeen. There's just so much fun tech to be had in the deck, like pic related

Attached: Gemini Engine_DS.jpg (312x445, 62K)

>implying that "backing" means shit
I can have Gordon Ramsay or Michelin man endorse my mac&cheese, but it doesn't make it any better

Any love for my main man? I know he's bad but man it's cool

Attached: Lightning Reaver_ARB.jpg (488x680, 127K)

I like spamming myr or soldier tokens and getting insane value.

4 1/1s isn't much, but 4 4/1s is a nastier.

also thopter assembly which is a stupidly slow combo but god it feels good getting a shitload of 4/1 fliers.

>Play Edh
>Like 1v1 but I just use sheldons banlist because whoever made the official one has shit 4 brains
>Its also a god damn nightmare having to carry around a shit ton of other cards to change my deck just for 1v1
Anyone else do this?

I used to have him in my prototype prossh deck before I made it because I liked the effect and thought he looked cool.
Never got him though.

I run Gemini engine in both my Jor Kadeen and Rafiq. It's fun to attack with it in Rafiq, equipped with 2+ swords and in JK, for he's a 6/4 and the token 9/4
I run him in my Bladewing. He's not that powerful, but the foil is so cool

Just put Lightning Mauler in actually, and he's been amazing so far. I used to have Anger as my main haste outlet, but realized he was too clunkey as I didn't really have anyway to get him into the yard other than playing and then saccing. I also realized I tended to win games more if I had dudes to play into Marchesa rather than starting off with her. So I've been cutting noncreatures for more creatures and lowering my curve. Mauler is fetchable via Imperial, and I'm generally going to sac whatever I play anyway to get more ETB's so the soulbound hasn't ever been an issue.

I'm surprised you're running so few sac outlets. When I lose, it's generally I don't have a sac outlet and I'm unable to reuse ETB's to gain value or something STP's something and I can't sac it in response. I'm actually looking to cut stuff to add in more. I'm also surprised how much regular creature removal you're running like Treachery, considering if Marchesa is in play a threaten is as better than a removal spell. Are you not as intent on maintaining dethrone?

i cut gemini eventually, it was actually really sad for me because he's just such a good fit and i love his art, but he literally cant compete with insane high mana drops like mycosynth golem, wurmcoil, and the kaladesh titans.

I know there's probably not a whole lot of pity for Breya players here but here it goes anyways
>Finished scraping together my Breya deck after putting it off for a year
>No infinite combos or fast mana, just artifact goodstuff
>Out the gate I have a hand of 2 cmc rocks, so I dump and go for Wheel
>Get countered, whatever
>Play Breya and start the beatdown
>My next 3 draws were Wasteland, Crucible and Winter Orb
>I only put a couple of stax pieces in to deal with ramp heavy decks
>Drew all 3 in a row
>I knew what the right thing was to do but I did it anyways
>Next draw was Cranial Plating
>Killed each opponent in 2 swings each while Wastelanding them
>I'm left with an empty sense of satisfaction and a full erection and my friends are looking at me with disgust
How do I deal with ramp and wide strats without using stax pieces or MLD?

Attached: wiping a board.jpg (852x480, 13K)

No, because Sheldon's banlist is cancer, and any excuse to escape it and use another is a good one.

Just decide not to put degenerate and unfun stuff in your decks and after a while you start compensating for the loss of MLD and stax and build fun decks that also win you games.

I actually don't have any problems keeping sac outlets, I run a bunch of tutors and aim for those instead of stacking my deck full of sac outlets. I find it works much better, since I never want to have two sac outlets out. That being said, it looks like I only have one less than you do. Is there a reason you aren't running Viscera Seer btw? I thought he was one of the best outlets, definitely top 3.

Treachery is probably the best steal effect in the game, its completely free and I don't need to worry about having marchesa out and active.

What hurts me the most is graveyard hate. I am surprised you run no way of dealing with Rest in Peace or Leyline of the Void, so I run all the reasonably costed stuff I can to get rid of them, along with stuff like Disallow to stop bog triggers or faerie macabre.

I try to maintain dethrone, but typically I don't dip much below 20 life and rely on other counter sources to close out a game with kokusho or something at that point.

>Hey guys, I don't put instant win combos in my deck!
>Do you think that means you get to play? Hell no!

Attached: R-ewj07WD8g.jpg (575x457, 83K)

>not building your deck so it has a million and one infinite combos but they are only the secondary win con to combat damage
scrubs, the lot of you

Yeah, can't say I see much RiP or Leyline in my meta. Most of the people I play with are bad and don't run enough grave hate.

Viscera Seer is a nice outlet, but an outlet is all it is. I feel the scry is only ok, but I would rather get value out of my sacs. The next one I'm eyeing adding is actually Bloodflow Connoisseur. I run as many sac outlets as possible because my first unrestricted tutor generally goes for Obliterate, as it's pretty easy to get to the point where it straight up wins me the game.

So you close out most of your games with a semi-combo finish, looping Kokusho or Grey Merchant? I figure I aggro out about 50% of my games, the remaining 40% by developing a board into an Obliterate, and combo out about the remaning 10% with Kiki-Jiki comboes or looping Gray Merchant.

>He still uses combat damage
Who the fuck are you calling a scrub?

My nibba.

Zirilain is still my Favorite deck 6 decks later.

i killed him to make karrthus because i was sick of autolosing if zirilan got killed more than twice.

he still has a slot though, honorary lieutenant.

>wasteland, crucible, ...

by “mana rocks” did you mean mana crypt, you animal?

Board wipes weren't really solving the problem, the UGx decks were just drawing too many cards and rebuilding.
??

I need some more cards that look like robots/mecha help me out fellas

darksteel sentinel
gearhulks
most myr
darksteel juggernaut
most arcbound
etched champion
mycosynth golem
titan forge

Attached: juggernot.jpg (417x305, 67K)

>end of opponents turn in a 5 player game its late in the game
>cast resto angel
>m1 cast kikijiki
>explain combo because its a casual friend playgroup
>with a weird timing opponent tutors for and flashes ulamug to exile resto while kiki is untapped but hes got a deathbringer thoktar with 14 counters on it
>respond with the combo nullying the ulamog but would still die to the throktar
>opponent 2 gets super salty saying i knew what he meant while opponent 3 and 4 scoop
>opponent 2 saltmines for a while then scoops
because opponent 1 cant handle the salt and 2 people already scooped
>mfw I explain to my friend how he could have won after I won before the saltnado
Salt stories?

Attached: 1519688820716.png (540x610, 177K)

I'm trying to improve my Karametra Big Green stompy deck. I can produce loads of mana in the deck but it just seems to lose out at late game because of boardwipes/pact effects. What should I do? I have krosan grip, sylvan reclamation, angel of jubilation and few recursions.

>bout 7 turns in 4 player
>play a cleric lifegain deck
>vs edgar, dragons, autistic bastard playing Ghave
>have a fuck huge karlov 26/26, soul attendant on the field and 52 life and aetherflux reservoir
>everybody was waiting for me to hit them for 50 but didn't think I'd do it cause only 2 life
>board is crowded but karlov was gonna take care of it
>Ghave thought he'd merciless eviction naming creatures cause I exiled his Ghave and hit for 26
>hit him for 50 damage before spell resolves, gets so salty and says I'm an idiot for doing that and now I'll die
>turn goes to me. Play a whip of erebos. Activate whip, grab my resolute archangel out of graveyard then swing with it and karlov
>go to 66 life and proceed to win the game

This mother fucker got so salty. He sold all if his cards and said he quits magic.

>playing pirates.dec
>hostage taker opponents commander
>'it goes to command zone'
>me: are you sure? if you kill hostage taker you can get it back
>'ok hostage taker keeps it'
>i follow up with siren stormtamer (so he can't remove hostage taker)
>you baited me user
>ragequits

I mean I guess he's kinda right but I didn't mean to, it was the first time I played hostage taker so I wanted to make sure he knew what the card did. I guess I was in the wrong?

>opponent thinks they have an out
>it doesnt work
Not your fault, they took a gamble and lost.

yeah but i kinda broke one of my own rules for teaching people new mechanics, don't teach someone something and then use it for your own benefit.

it's like how if I was teaching a new player I wouldn't say 'you can use giant growth to make your dude stronger' and then immediately doomblade their creature for the 2 for 1, its just a dick move.

Brawl will just get solved too. Then it will rotate, you'll buy more cards, and it will immediately get solved again.

It wouldn't make it better, but it would sell a lot more of your Mac and cheese. That's the point.

Go to bed, MaRo, you're drunk.

But Sheldon's list is cancer. He plays awful decks full of overcosted garbage. Here, look at these pieces of shit.
sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=63494
sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=51852
sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=79915
sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=45497
This is his idea of a good deck for the format.

You baited him because if he had sent it to the command zone, he still would have gotten it back if hostage taker left the battlefield, and you wouldn't be able to cast it because it wasn't exiled. There wad no reason to not send the commander to the command zone.

What the fuck do Sheldon's decks have to do with fucking anything?