Fossil Necromancy

Could a necromancer raise a fossil?

Attached: 1024px-Seymouria_Fossil.jpg (1024x683, 167K)

Other urls found in this thread:

realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/revivedfossil.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Could a necromancer raise a fossil?
I would allow the SHIT out of that. I think that right there is the actual reason so many dinosaurs are in the monster-manuals. so the DMs can use that very thing.

and I'm gonna drop this here.

Attached: crude oil, the necromancers friend.png (950x446, 97K)

Yes. But with how incomplete and fragmented most fossilised animal skeletons are, there's almost no value to it apart from the novelty factor.
For example raised trilobites in goldfish bowls are a popular desk ornament among necromancers.

Geomancer might be able to.

Generally when remains are old enough to be called a fossil, they are just minerals and not bone. It would depend I think whether you need the actual body or some kind of spiritual imprint is sufficient.

Anything to generilize the fuck out of them and make neckbeards stop thinking they are subversive and unique snowflakes for having normally evil depicted things as friends.

I remember making a thread like this years back. Glad to see a fellow user appreciate the beauty of a Dino skeleton.

He doesn't, he just wants his little special boy patch to be powerful by having dinosaurs with undead archtypes.

I really don't think this guy is an oil and the mechanics of long term rot enthusiast.

>Yes. But with how incomplete and fragmented most fossilised animal skeletons are, there's almost no value to it apart from the novelty factor.
I like the "Dresden Files" version, all you need is a token component that remembers what it was. after reading Dead-Beat I had an idea for a Necromancer that walked around with a necklace made of charmed, engraved, and bespelled. Utah Raptor talons. which he could tear off and cast out as a sort of Minion Wave.

I like spiritual imprints

someones salty...
I usually go for inoffensive personalities on evil necromancers, sensible people that reanimate the dead with extra armor and upgrades.

they are amazing things man.

yeah but they would suck ass

Depends on the fossil, plus isn't Make Whole a pretty low level spell?

Harry Dresden once raised a t-rex as a zombie using polka music to simulate its heartbeat. Precedent exists, in fact I would say displayed fossils would be easier to raise because of the negative energy associated with glorifying the death of this great creature. All archeologists are necromancers in disguise

So like dragon tooth warriors but with Utahraptors? Sounds pretty cool user.

>inoffensive personalities on evil necromancers, sensible people that reanimate the dead with extra armor and upgrades.
christ, you gonna make him your favorite animal and give him angel wings too? What's next, kobolds and gnolls?

>dragon tooth warriors
???

but yeah, I thought it was pretty cool at the time.
I started playing ARK, and the Raptor-pack while riding an ankylosaur is my favorite tactic STILL. only makes me like my raptor-swarm necromancer more

do you not know what affable evil is? I don't PLAY these characters, I run them as villains. the sort of person who'd go...
>"sorry man, but you've seen too much and you're really a fine specimen of a [race]. you'll be put to some very good use I assure you"

followed by a coup-de-grace, a quick casting of Gentle repose/permanence, and a proper reanimation.

I like them to be bookish, look like the sort of person who gets bullied a lot. the sort that really DID learn that the mind can beat might. I like when they are reasonable, sensible, and prefer to eliminate waste wherever possible.

I HATE grandstanding villains. the sort that make Speeches, the sort that play into all the overdone tropes. those are so boring, and they've been done to death.

So this Necromancer just wants to live a quiet, peaceful life? He's Yoshikage Kira?

It's so fucking easy for you niggers to get mad about something.

>I like them to be bookish, look like the sort of person who gets bullied a lot
So a self insert with the definition of good just replaced with evil because good is the norm? This is pretty much goto muh snowflakism.

>???
You should try Google

Not in my setting
Because there was no devil to make fake "fossils" in the first place.

too ossified, you need a fresher dino skeleton from fresher dinosaurs if you're going to necromance it.

nah, he just knows that big moves should be best done with proper planning.

that towers are obvious bait for enemies. but a stretch of sewer or perfectly legally rented-warehouse is a fine place to bide your time before big moves.

kill the witnesses, cold a policy as it is. its just a stepping stone to whatever goal he has.

instead of just a skeleton, outfit it with some armor or equipment specifically designed to counter its shortfalls or fragility. put a vial of napalm inside so if they die they might still take their foe with them.

I know right?

>self insert
hardly, I'm not nearly that interesting.
and no, they're pretty evil.
start to finish.

its a pretty generic term.
it gives me several different things when I google it.

>and no, they're pretty evil.
>start to finish.
That's not quite what I meant, a lot of modern thought usually have this absolute retarded contrarian idea that because good is seen as the go to standard, evil must therefor be the one for rebels and cool kids, those who stand out of the sheeple flock.

But if thats not it well good on you. Necromancers are still snowflake as fuck.

>Necromancers are still snowflake as fuck.
its why I try to not use them too often.

eat your favorite ice-cream too much and it stops being your favorite

>Could a necromancer raise a fossil?

No.
But a Druid can though resurrect an extinct animal from a fossil using a 9th level spell. The fossil is consumed in the process. Bones from an animal that existed within a closer time period, though, only require a 7th level spell.

>raised trilobites in goldfish bowls
I like that.
This world is so boring.

You're just used too it.

now I want to play a neutral evil druid necromancer who is a geologist that controls oil
just like I do in real life
pic only semi related

Attached: 1516498518533.jpg (1141x856, 266K)

Harry Dresden, how in the hell are you posting on the internet?

We should worldbuild a world where the Flat-Earthers are actually right, and Satan actively tries to decieve you with science and videogames.

I don't even play games, I'm eternal GM. I was just curious what Veeky Forums's opinion was.

Don't need to make up anything user. You're living in that world right now.

>doesn't know meaning of fancy word

Attached: JL #22 Metamorphisis 1.avi_snapshot_14.27_[2016.04.26_19.28.44].jpg (432x320, 26K)

>oil necromancer

Give it a Middle Eastern flavor and this could be pretty neat. Hell the word ghoul is Arabic in origin if I remember right. Like some kind of camel-riding mad desert pariah who summons those who died and were lost in the desert, raising them up. Bind them with oil and create eternal burning skeletons who set fire to the sands they march across.

Fossiles aren't bones - what happens is that the bones fall into a clay or something that forms a mold of them, the bones then decay in the blink of an eye in geological time but the mold remains long enough to fill with other material that then calcifies.

When even the mold is gone, the fossilised imprint of the original bones remains.

The evidence is quite blatant when you realise it - like how mountains are just the remains of trees chopped down by an ancient civilisation of giant lumberjacks.

Attached: flat earth tree.jpg (1366x768, 130K)

If you want to get into the geologically nitty-gritty, it's not technically bone anymore...
But fuck it, I want muh dinoliches.
I second the idea of a spiritual imprint.

but its still an imprint of the living thing. it may in no way be made of or by the original creature, but its an essential relic of the creature as far as I'd call it in game

flat earthers make me angry in the same way that intentionally stupid people make me angry...

>I want muh dinoliches
me too

Who cares? It'd be cool to have an animated fossil-saur running around.

>make me angry

But for real nigga, giants who are half angel and half mortal, cutting down the world trees and the earth being carried by a titan is some great world building. Flat earthers make some cool shit up.

So a Geomancer could work on this. But what ever they raise would be fragile and better for research than combat.

I suppose you have a point.

I've actually been to Devils Tower. walked all the way around it. how you could confuse those formations with any sort of tree is the part that annoys me...

this is also a potentially interesting thing to have in a college of wizardry...experimentally reanimated fossil skeletons...

So you could interpret fossils not as the physical bones of an animal, but by their impression. In a way it seems that fossils wouldn't make traditional risen skeletons so much as ghosts. Fossils are the impression of their memories, their lives, and their death preserved over the course of nature. If a regular ghost is caused the impression of someone's death, than a ghost made from a fossil is thousands of times more potent than that.

It brings some interesting ideas too of what happens if you try and necromantically fuck with preservation to artificially create fossils. Perhaps this is what the Terra Cotta Warriors were trying to do?

Attached: PoP+Ghosts+Cover+2+600px.jpg (600x838, 148K)

a corpse that ancient is devoid of any of the ontological 'identity' of the creature that formed it. you can reanimate a fossil but it's a very bad idea. you certainly won't get a dinosaur.

it's not as bad as casting animate dead on crude oil, but i can't think of anything that would be

Attached: 3j54h32nv.png (400x400, 100K)

Dresden Files did it.

and they did it the fun way.

>implying that the power of a necromantic construct doesn't increase with the age of the base materials.

I had a character built around raising fossils in DFRPG. started out with small things like mosquitos in amber and trilobites, stuff that wouldn't be ridiculously powerful, though my end goal was raising a T-Rex, or possibly an Acrocanthosaurus.

Attached: dinomancer.jpg (1024x689, 166K)

Attached: fucking necromancers.jpg (1600x778, 184K)

it comes from a myth or saying that goes, sow the fields with dragons teeth and you'll have an army

>its a pretty generic term.
Not really. Try Spartoi

What exactly would you get from raising a dinosaur?

If a Necromancer stripped a corpse down to it's layered parts, and raised each one, could he create a gang composed of a skin undead, a muscle undead, a skeleton, and a nerve undead?

>casting animate dead on crude oil
RISE, MY DIATOM MINIONS, RIIIIISEEEEEE

On that line of thought, what about casting animate dead on entire petrified trees? What about coal?

Why not cast it on toothpaste?

Toothpaste's been through too many processes that separate it from a living thing (if there's any ingredients in it that once belonged to organics, anyways) and its current form. Whereas petrified trees and coal that was once ancient trees have less processes done to it to turn it from living plants into their current form.
Your question would be better if it was horse glue instead of toothpaste.

He's using the wrongest possible word for it, but the point still stands. By the time something's completely fossilized like that, there's really no organic matter left, aside from maybe whatever minerals were in its body at the time of fossilization. It'd basically be like a druid trying to grow a tree from a charcoal imprint of a loaf.

Toothpaste has diatoms in it, user

Clearly we need a geomancer

I bet that thing was fucking cute when he was alive

yes

Attached: Sue.jpg (340x491, 39K)

>but its still an imprint of the living thing. it may in no way be made of or by the original creature, but its an essential relic of the creature as far as I'd call it in game

If you make a mold of your face, and then fill the mold with rocks, can a necromancer clone you?

Because that's exactly what a fossil is.

>If you make a mold of your face, and then fill the mold with rocks, can a necromancer clone you?
nah,
but I'd let one summon a spirit from a death-mask

Huh, while you're right, they only consisted of ~50% of toothpaste ingredient. The rest are chemical surfactants, Fluoride, and some other stuff.

realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/revivedfossil.shtml

Does Libris Mortis not give us the revived fossil template for a reason?

This already exists.

Attached: c7118b60bc1698b6a53fae78c616403e.jpg (2000x1426, 616K)

Probably possible but it would require some sort of genius

Attached: CinnabarLabManga.png (678x363, 174K)

> fresher dinosaurs...

Now I'm wondering what curriculum a dino-college would teach, and what the cheerleaders would look like!

in my setting there is a archeologists college which is run by necromancers and the exibits are all reanimated fossils

thats metal as shit

>If you make a mold of your face, and then fill the mold with rocks, can a necromancer clone you?

YESSSSSSSS

Triops are QT, and they've been around since the Carboniferous.

Attached: Triops longicaudatus.jpg (1564x1074, 563K)

Many fossils are silicified, as well. Pic related, it's a piece of agatized dinosaur bone. Petrified wood and gembone have exact copies of the original cells made of quartz. I actually own a couple small pieces of gembone.

Attached: Gembone thin section.jpg (474x316, 35K)

Attached: 8FA28D8C-B492-452A-97FB-5D16ED350D2E.jpg (300x300, 35K)

I seem to remember a nerve undead monster in some splat book somewhere

You're on Veeky Forums, land of the grogs, people being easily triggered has been status quo for over a decade by this point, the only other board I visit that's as easily triggered is /m/.

could always be hilarious if a necromancer tries to raise himself a skeletal dragon and instead ends up with an assorted number of archosaurs

Or a swarm of little dinos that voltron it up

yeah, but as soon as you pull a villian that tries that they players always call it unfair and have a fit...

I don't know shit about fossils but
>if the minerals are the as the ones bones are I'd allow it
>if not then maybe find a way to transmute them
>can use some kind of create elemental instead

they can if Dwarf Fortress. some biomes have that effect naturally. and let me tell you, dwarves find it VERY distressing for the cowhide they just skinned to come back to life and start beating them to death.

Attached: sloths-skeletons-weird-nightmare.jpg (529x502, 51K)

Whats worse is that many of the bits are literally indestructible. I remember that originally there were people getting murdered by unkillable necromantic bundles of hair.

Your only limit is your imagination. And your DM's autism.

restoring a dead thing with magic is a lot like doing it with science, you need the thing's essence. science uses DNA, but necromancy is more platonic. negative energy is a kind of unlife of its own, but fundamentally incoherent. it takes the unique ontological 'selfness' of the thing you're reanimating and that's how it gains enough identity to move a body around and obey commands.

that essence degrades over time, though. even a thousand year old skeleton is fine, but a fossil is too degraded. trying to animate it just gets you raw negative energy with fragmentary bits of identity.

the result is kind of like a demilich. a mindless, incorporeal entity of pure hate and rage, bound to the inanimate fossil. putting one in a museum would be a great way to get lots of people to kill themselves and others, but it can't do much directly.

oil is the same way but worse. you could destroy the world trying to animate oil.

this is also why there's no such thing as good necromancy. aside from negative energy being a mindless force of destruction and suffering, reanimating a body pollutes its eternal essence. it's not quite the same as a soul, but souls are connected to that essence. reanimating a human irrevocably destroys his soul

boop

Technically no since fossiles are mostly just rocks by the time you get to them, but it's cool and thematically appropriate so I would usually allow it regardless.

Was going to mention Dresden Files and Harry riding around on a T-Rex skeleton.

Yep. I am so stealing this.

For this reason taking body parts as trophies in DF is a very bad idea. You think it's cool to carry around an ear from every enemy till you walk past a necromancer and they start bludgeoning you

Yes, although it's difficult and a serious sign of prestige.

Actually, can anyone remember any animated fossils in any RPGs? I think Pathfinder has both a template for them and a Fossil Golem, and I know Deadlands Classic had a Walkin' Fossil undead monster.

RPG's, no, but they did it with science in Pokemon

Fossils still contain a limited amount of organic matter in the form of collagen. Look up "fossil soft tissue" there is an article that explains how iron preserves the collagen that can be extracted when the mineral substance of the fossil is dissolved

I'd allow necro park to happen

See