How do solo games work?

I've seen a few posts and I've heard of people doing 1 on 1 and it seems, idk, weird.

What have your experiences with it been Like?

Attached: question.png (722x768, 304K)

>What have your experiences with it been Like?
The lewd kind of enjoyable.

Attached: Pcell.jpg (411x700, 107K)

beat me to it. pure ERP with game elements to keep things interesting as if they're friendly wagers.

I've only ever seen people do 1x1 sessions for when there's a party split or as an "Episode 0", where the DM and the player go through the motions to establish where their character was/what they did before joining the group. Never heard of people running full games with just one person.

Is there such a thing as a TRPG that you can play with only 1 person? As in, you are the only person in the game, there is no one else in the room with you? Please Veeky Forums, I need this badly

Attached: 1519355078463.jpg (800x600, 111K)

Attached: Traveller Solo_Star Trader.pdf (PDF, 2.19M)

Writing a novel.

Works very well for roleplay. On the flipside, I feel like the more crunch there is, the less good that feels for just one player- there aren’t other people to pick up their slack.

It depends on the persons involved and if you want a campaign, or just one shots. I've talked to my DM/roommate about doing a DOOM-esque kind of 1x1, since we don't have good schedules for regular group sessions, but we haven't put it into practice yet.

Attached: Quill.pdf (PDF, 1.25M)

gamebooks

Attached: Figfan24r.jpg (656x1048, 140K)

Christ, I remember these. I always get fucking raped by the prison dwarf.

there's game books, there's assorted computer rpgs and while not strictly RPG game, Kingdom Death: Monster has plenty of single player potential

This is kind of a social hobby, dude.

Sorry, man.

God, it feels like years ago when reddit was glutted up with people asking if solo games were viable.

Never will I have a friend that's I'm close enough with to do ERP. And you know What? I'm okay with that.

If it's something you want to do, there are any number of forums and Discord servers out there with different themes and original worlds or set in pre-established fictions, where you can just write in character behind a screen name.

I really like these
What type of books r these ?

There's a "GM-less" trove or something like that in the PDF share thread, check it out. I think it's in the Curated Archive

Im playing a one on one with my brother right now. We're about a month in roughly weekly, and so far its been a great time. He's kinda new to ttrpg and l know the book front to back, so the game flows smoothly and he gets invested easily.

Attached: 1519420560077.jpg (800x730, 262K)

I tried DMing a 1 on 1 when the other player didn't show up, but I got burned out and nearly broke down after an hour. A couple players never responded to my calls, one player said he was only forced to humor me the first time and didn't want to have anything to do with it, and another player was crying on the phone saying he was busy when I called him. The one player I DM'd for was fine, in fact one of the best players I've ever had, but I was underslept and underprepared, the absence of the other players threw all my plans out the window, not to mention the emotional hurt dragging on my mind, so I couldn't keep up. I came up with some bullshit excuse for him to leave. He said it was fine, that he appreciated the work I put in and had fun, and that he would look forward to the next session. We never had another game together again.

Yes. Veeky Forums is not a good place to ask about this because this shit is a niche within a niche and very obscure. Read the Mythic GM emulator. Then head over to the Lone Wolf Roleplaying group in Google plus. Search for posts about actual play. Then read the various solo engines there and find one that works. I personally stick to Mythic though. Write or not write down your sessions as you please. I don't and I just imagine everything and roll my dice.

It's great. I run games for only 1 player. The system I use automatically tunes single PCs to be just as strong as a party. It's like a running a game with a solo and capable protagonist. Think James Bond. The player doesn't have to share the spot light with anyone else, so we can focus on character driven stuff and on NPCs and other subplots that they like. No reason to ask for approval from the rest of the party. No need to focus on niche protection and balance with only one player too. I only need to think of their fun and their needs, so I can homebrew cool and powerful shit. Search for Duet articles on rpg.net. Those articles discuss running games for one player extensively. Once again this is a niche within a niche and most RPGs are not written with this in mind. Some are though.

Better than with groups. And unlike the anime trash betas in this thread we don't ERP.

I'm running one right now.

I've played almost exclusevly 1-1 games. It's pretty fun because you get a feel for what the one player would do and so have an easier time getting the story moving but you do have to tone the difficulty down because if that one guy dies it's game over unless you're clever.

No one has answered the question yet

Literally?

Srsly?
If playing 'truly solo' - i.e. all alone - there's noone else - Mythic GM Emulator is your best bet (solo wargamer here - and it's certainly thrown plenty of curveballs in MY face)

>when you start doing ERP with someone else and then the lewd slowly gets pushed out of the way for the growing plot and character development

Attached: images.jpg (259x194, 8K)

Here's my problem...what do you mean by "solo games"? Some people define "solo games" as just rpgs you can play by yourself, period. Meanwhile other people define "solo games" as games that require 1 player and 1 GM.

Several people have, in fact, done so. Perhaps you should try reading.

I’m in a 1-1 game with a friend of mine. We haven’t had many sessions because he’s busy and I can’t dm for shit.

>No one has answered the question yet
>tfw you find out the TRUE meaning of despair
Yes, pic TOTALLY related.

Attached: thetruemeaningofdespair.gif (520x404, 13K)

Did you learn to read, or are you 5 yo ?

>reading through page 4
>see Mythic recommended
>delete file
Shit, man, I don't need a fucking book to figure that out.