MODERN MTG

Forcing you to Play Fair edition
Previously on Modern General: GP Tokyo 2018 Top Decks: magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpkyo18/gpkyo18-finals-decklists-2018-03-25

Dominaria release notes: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/dominaria-leak-2018-03-08

>Playing
>Hating
>Brewing

>Thread question
With the swing to grindier, value-based and more "fair" decks with the unbanning of Jace TMS and Bloodbraid Elf as seen in recent big events, how do you adjust your decks accordingly? Any drastic changes in the mainboard or sideboard? Do you drop your current deck entirely?

RESOURCES:
>metagame
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>Search Engines
scryfall.com/
magiccards.info/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
>Budget Decks
pastebin.com/Q9D59Wry (embed)

Attached: D&T.jpg (500x228, 61K)

Make Modern Fair Again

Attached: spirit of fair play.jpg (265x370, 77K)

Sure!

Attached: ema-141-price-of-progress.jpg (672x936, 248K)

>stopped playing constructed mtg somewhere after Lorwyn
>sold all my collection
>went to a few prereleases every now and then
>want to go back into magic
>no lgs, only some group of guys that have Wizard support
>they only have modern tournaments
>prices for competitive decks are astronomic
>friend offers me his ((("budget"))) deck which is still way more expensive than anything I am willing to invest
>go to the tournament
>everyone crubstomps me with their netdecks
>go 0-4
>win only one game because opponent went to 4 and was mana screwed

Wow this sure was fun. I don't think this cum-guzzling format is for me.

Back to sealed I guess.

Attached: 1507747043368.png (500x374, 220K)

unironically patrician

>can't invest like $500 in a new hobby
This is actually unbelievable to me, most hobbies are way more expensive.

>He doesn't run Mono Green Stompy
Only 80 bucks and Im sweeping FNMs. Not too keen on joining bigger events, Im quite satisfied where I am right now.

That's cool, man. You do you. I actually kinda wish I was in your position with an lgs full of tier 1 decks. I'm the only one who plays Burn, or any tierd deck really. Everyone else brings stuff like mono W Humans, 4c Traverse brew, Jeskai Gifts/Unburial Rites. It's fun, and I regularly go X-1, but id like to play against tiered decks and get some real practice in before I decide if I want to do GPs/Opens or not.

Your FNMs must be S-A-W-F-T SAAAAAWWWWWWWWWFT

its going to be your modern shop weekly but with lots more people playing jank. GP day 1 without byes is risky because of losing to some tier 5 shitbrew you weren't ready for in the first three rounds.

The point is invest a lot into a deck, then sell through a FB group the deck for like 90% of it's price when you want out.

It's not like wasting that money on food or something. Cardboard keeps it's value, for better or worse

I don't see it being sustainable as it is now and sooner or later modern bubble will pop

I don't think buying in right now is smart, even if it probably will go up.

I don't understand how mono-G Stompy isn't more known than it is. It runs multiple playsets of hexproof, trample, mass +1/+1, and/or undying. Combine with super giant growth on steroids for +X/+X devotion and giant growth with removal negation built in, and I don't see how people aren't two-shotting opponents and keeping up resilient board presence with this deck. AND it's dirt cheap.

I play fully foiled Affinity (except for the big money cards like Opal) and I'm thinking about either foiling out mono-G Stompy with the new FNM Steel Leafs and unstable forests, or just playing it completely unsleeved and tilting people.

Just started with modern. Decided to go with mono red burn instead of rack or turn two tokens. Went with the basic 15 TIX version, went okay, invested into GGs, whoops, my deck is suddenly good. Went 5-0 in a modern league. Feels great.

Match 1: G Tron, easy.
Match 2: Vengewine / Hollow one / Flameblade adept thing. Harder, but doable
Match 3: Valakut / Through the breach. Apparently even a T4 Emrakul is not enough
Match 4: G Tron again
Match 5: UR Storm. Sideboard Ravenous Trap, hnng. Lost game 1 on T3, but game 2 trapped in response to Past in Flames which won me the game. Game 3 mulled into 2 ravenous traps. Guys, the first trap feels great, really, but the second one. The second one is I could feel my opponent having a stroke.

Why has noone told me how great modern is? Million different decks to play against, so many shenanigans that I can put in my sideboard, it's awesome.

>Everyone else brings stuff like mono W Humans

This is actually sleeper T2 if he builds it right (mono-w soldier stompy, LD non-basics, majority humans, 6+ thalias, 4 chalice, vial), but I doubt he does.

It's because it plays second fiddle to 8whack in terms of being 'The Budget Deck" for Modern. Stompy is dumb but it doesn't pull turn 3 kills like 8whack. It's more stable though, with lots of sideboard options.

>he expects to go into a knife fight with a plastic training knife and no experience and win

Did you even look up a single modern deck to see what it looks like and how they work? No? And you expected to win?

Why do /pol/fags do (((this)))?
>inb4 meh [pol] mucasboy
Literally everyone I've ever seen using this """"""""""meme"""""""""" was a /pol/fag

Knowing how Modern decks work does very little in regards to actually winning games. Most wins are just the logical conclusion of the cards drawn and played on curve.

Yeah, I can see me getting screwed by something like Soul Sisters in round 1. I was looking at the GP schedule and I'd have to travel a considerable distance if I wanted to attend any of them. But there's the SCG Open in Louisville, so maybe I'll try to go to that since it's not too far. Even if I scrub out, at least I'll have tried.

I've actually considered doing something similar with Stompy. No sleeves, all mismatched lands with half black bordered and half white bordered.

Triple parenthesie around a name means you're exposing them as a Jew or part of a zionist conspiracy, that's why you keep seeing (((MaRo))) or (((Star of David Games))) being thrown around in triple parentheses. Yes, it's a /pol/ meme

>Thread question
I'm now mainboarding Lead the Stampede in Elves and SBing Chord instead of the other way around. Chord's really good for combo infested metas where you tutor your silver bullet to stop other combo decks from doing their thing, or you fetching your combo first. Shit won't fly in a BGx and UWx infested meta; that's why Lead MD is a better choice instead.

Did anyone play Teferi/Pool lock? How is it? Sound exactly what I want to do to my opponents desu.

>>Playing
Affinity

>>Hating
Jeskai Control. The match up is just so damn hard.

>>Brewing
Nothing really, just fiddling with the sideboard to get a better game against Jeskai Control.

At my store someone shows up fairly regularly with mono white soul sister+human package for early game. It’s actually pretty fun to play against because I run three color humans if both of us miss our opportunity to kill each other then the game will time out due to him not being able to get past mayor of avurbruk wolf blockers but him having so much life that I can’t deny it.
Last time we played we went to time on game 1 with our boards being the entire table length and cards being covered in dice borrowed from 3 other people.

Tryhards don't want to play Stompy because they think its a deck for scrubs. Casuals think the deck is too complicated and would rather play a shitty burn deck instead.

We've come a long way from the late 90s when BigDumbGreenCreatures.dec was the standard for beginner friendly decks.

I started with monogreen stompy when I was nine, now I'm building birdurous gearhulk for shiggles. Circle of life, man. Circle of life.

lol no. If you have no idea what the decks even are you will lose even if you're playing burn or affinity. You won't know which hands are good, what to play around in each match, how to sideboard, or even what your gameplan should be.

Only shitters complain about the format when they lose.

The majority of mulligans come down to how much land your hand has.

$500 can get you a gigantic amount of board games, deckbuilding games, probably build meta decks in 4 or 5 non HS digital CCGs and so on. I only play Magic because I'm an addict and while aware of sunken cost, am too dumb to stop.

>What is game 2

So, how long until the median deck cost in modern creeps over $1,000?
I get the feeling it'll happen by the end of summer, especially if WotC continues their trend of 'theme' master sets.

This is the peanut brain answer. The hierarchy of understanding goes as follows:
>Tier One: Three lands four spells = snap keep, always seem to get flooded/screwed on mull-to-sixes and mull-to-fives
>Tier Two: Mulligan in search for sideboard tech
>Tier Three: Three lands four spells with clear t1 and t2 plays = snap keep, otherwise mulligan in search of better early-game options or interaction with which to stall out the game
>Galaxy Brain: Serum Powder

Do you think Wizards will reprint Goblin Lore in the Core set? I can but a playset now for €44 but it seems so fucking high.

I hope so, modern Hollow One in standard would be hilarious

The chances of a random 6 card hand being better than a mediocre 7 card hand are pretty low. Imagine if that 7 card hadn't didn't have the worst card in it. Will your 6 really be better than that hand?

I think after they release their next lineup of products and the master's set is revealed to be absolute garbage.

Are you stupid?
Only complete imbeciles pay that much for a piece of cardboard.

If I want to ride a bike in the woods I pay a high sum for a high tech bicycle, if I want ski I pay a high sum for high tech gear, if I want to ride the motorcycle I pay a high sum for high tech gear again. But what if I want to play a card game that costs 5 bucks to print? I still have to pay as if I was buying a motorcycle lmao.

Stop defending this insanity, retards.

I think it'll take longer. Wizards just went through two big announcements of Brawl and death of Masters so they're probably going to wait a bit longer before anything Major happens. Whatever is the next shitstorm wizards tries will push even stompy and mono red burn towards unplayable.

>Commander Masters
>Sol Ring at Mythic

It would be what, 3 months until Hour rotates?

New Arsenal is coming out.

Oh god Commander Masters, I can see the mythics now.

>Artifact
>Sol Ring
>Solemn Simulacrum

>Red
>Chandra, Flamecaller
>Comet Storm

>Black
>Phyrexian Arena
>Damnation

>Blue
>Master of Waves
>Deadeye Navigator

>White
>Armageddon
>Wrath of God

>Green
>Primeval Titan
>Tarmogoyf

>500
>any motorcycle worth riding
>bicycle

Gtfo soyboy

and nobody is paying 500 for a single piece of cardboard in modern

>Primeval Titan
lol

The mulligan rules are probably why so many games of magic are non-games.

I think the effect for Serum Powder should be the default mulligan rule. Exile your hand and play with 53 cards, though I get the feeling it could be exploited by certain decks.

Maybe a mulligan rule where you can remove two cards in your hand from the game and draw two more.

Brawl is such a load of shit. They're so desperate to try and get people to buy standard product. Like, normal commander can be a durdlefest for a while but eventually someone chains together enough powerful threats they can win. This Brawl shit devolves into massive board stalls because there's not efficient/mass removal. I see it going the way of tiny commanders.

They've already printed sol ring in commander sets at uncommon forever, although...

Then they fall back on the 'It's for limited!' excuse for that horseshit. Though they've gotten so much shit for the endless comet storm reprints they probably won't include it at all.

I'd be surprised if you could find a running, rideable motorcycle for $500, let alone one worth riding.

repostan timefaggotry

the lines
durdleworks for eons

Attached: IMG_3680.jpg (2814x2406, 1.44M)

>They've already printed sol ring in commander sets at uncommon forever, although...
This one will be a masterpiece with exclusive art.

As an Owling Mine player, please 5-0 as much as you can and bring Turns back into the meta pls

What does "the meta" actually matter? Like I don't get it, if you can sleeve up a deck and do well at events you go to, who the actual fuck cares about what other players are doing?

I would imagine it's like rooting for your favorite sports team.

>who the actual fuck cares about what other players are doing?
Because that affects how people play, what cards see precedence, and eventually filters into affecting your chances of winning.

I play online; if a deck is "in the meta"
it means I'll play against it more often, and Owling Mine is such a hilariously powerful counter to Turns decks that it results in some really fun and goofy lines

Collective brutality is a great card

Attached: devotionreanimator.png (941x538, 193K)

you ever test torment of hailfire?

Because in Eternal formats, so many decks are popular that you don't need to pick a good deck, but rather, hope most people play a deck weaker against yours. It doesn't matter how good you play Burn, if your field was full of Martyr proc you're fucked. Same if you ran Sneak and Show and everyone is playing Death and Taxes for legacy.

Sure, if you are some richfag you can pick any deck for the events, but usually you're the Taking Turns or Owling Mine guy who might have 2 other decks he plays sometimes, if you're lucky as most people only have one true deck.

>tfw got a masterpiece only opening one kaldesh pack from a toolkit

Which one was it?

Because deck A could be powerful in one meta but middling or weak in another. The less a deck cares about the meta or the more linear it can be, the more overall powerful it becomes.
A deck like turns, for example, is very meta dependent.

how does that makes sense? wouldn't howling mine help the Turn deck? i don't see an extra howling mine in the field making him lose for milling.

I don't think torment would make the cut because it can't be reanimated with zombify.

Sure, but have you tried it? I feel like it would be a nice little one-of

I'm guessing LoV is critical to this deck?

Sword of Feast and Famine

Owling Mine wins by making your opponent draw cards and winning counter wars. Basically against Turns your opponent's plan coincides directly with your own, which makes counterplay from both players extremely skill-testing.

Attached: zen-146-runeflare-trap.jpg (672x936, 237K)

the matchup gets deep, and it's hard to say who is favored, since you both want the other player to be the one playing the howling mine (but you don't want them to get access to it, either)
This card is nuts, but iirc each upkeep you attempt to cast an instant like giga for 1 while netsuke is on the stack

Attached: IMG_3681.jpg (223x310, 39K)

500$ is essential, yes.

Is it 25$ great though?

Attached: anime girl with a question mark (3).jpg (800x800, 97K)

Noice

>Reanimator and Zombies
>Not Liliana the Last Hope

>no queen lillykinz barr

Attached: IMG_3682.png (223x311, 132K)

I think I'm gonna sell all my Magic cards barring my Grixis Shadow that I still enjoy playing. I'm just not comfortable with having so much money tied up in a game like this.

if the owl player runs fevered they are favored imo

Happy for you, pal. I did much the same but I'm basically just down to legacy Mana Dredge, R/G Titanshift, and Gitrog Monster for EDH

Attached: 1498716861344.png (250x236, 79K)

>Playing
Green Tron with Newrakul
>Hating
Mostly just go-wide aggro. Honestly I'd rather face Burn than 8-Whack or Revolt Zoo. Goblin Grenade has some insane reach.
>Brewing
I'm 99% done my Ponza deck, just need 1 more Blood Moon and the mainboards done, then I just need to pick up some cheap shit for the sideboard like Ancient Grudge. I've also got humans on the backburner just because I already own the Nobles and Caverns
>Thread Q
I love the fact that the meta has swung to be more fair. The only change I really made to my deck lately was to switch from GB to G Tron after I got blown out at an event because I only had 2 basics to fetch off of Ghost Quarters and I wasn't generally getting enough value out of having the black splash.

Attached: karn is love karn is life.png (1050x590, 1.79M)

You won't find a competitive deck either you stupid fucks. I never said you will find a bike for 500. But you can find one for 1500. For the records I paid mine 2000. The point here is that when you buy cards you don't get shit for your money, you just get cardboard, contrary to any other sane and healthy hobby.

> contrary to any other sane and healthy hobby.
user, you're funny.
Most hobbies are hilarious money sinks. Someone who likes, say, boating? Massive money pit.
Golfing? Good luck reselling those clubs for even a fraction of what you paid.
Hell, I had a hobby where I'd piss away a few thousand every year on consumables and fees.

This is literally the best time to get into the best format - legacy. The last time modern prices exploded like this back in 2014-2015 ish, i traded modern crap like tarns towards duals. Ill be trading out my modern stuff again towards FBB duals this time. There should be no reason why modern jund costs as much as a legacy blue deck.

>can pick any hobbies
>picks boating and golf
Eh.
Even if you do those hobbies you still get something fror your money, a fucking boat for example. What do you get out of Magic apart from cardboard? Don't say fun because any other hobby gives you that, it's a given.

It was just shit off the top of my head. How about video games? Good luck reselling those for anywhere close you paid for them if you have physical discs for a console, or not at all if downloaded.

Hobbies are first and foremost about fun. What hobby it is depends on who you are and your financial means.

I've been trying to brew around Death's Majesty for a while but it keeps coming back to sultai ramp reanimator and always a turn too slow. Got anything spicy?

yep modern is shit, also water is wet.

Attached: 1482306086454.jpg (717x960, 64K)

>being this (((new)))

As a monoblue taking turns player, seeing it start to pop up here and in other places makes me pretty happy. It seems to be picking up.

i like your memebrew, but why not more urborg ? also chalice seems OP here

You get put of magic the same thing you get from a bunch of luxury hobbies: A stack of stuff and a whole lot of wasted money. You can either pick your poison, or try a hobby that requires little investment like bird watching. Or try a hobby where your return is sometimes greater than your investment like coin collecting.

I often compare Magic to Fishing. You pay money to sit around with your buddies and tell stories over something you all enjoy.

I mean you do get magic cards. Which can be resold for almost zero loss, provided you're savvy about when to get rid of stuff. Try reselling a boat for anything close to what you paid for it. Also, you don't have to spend thousands a year on cleaning, maintaining, and housing your magic cards.

Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Saying that magic cards are worthless because they are made of cardboard is like saying diamonds are worthless because they're made of carbon. By that logic everything but food, water, and shelter are worthless.

Except Magic is not a luxury hobby. Okay, maybe Legacy and Vintage are but Modern and Standard are not. It's cardboard, the only reason why it's expensive is demand and offer, and THERE'S NO REASON WHY THE DEMAND FOR NON RESERVED LIST CARDS SHOULD BE SUPERIOR TO THE OFFER.

When will you autistic manchildren learn?

I'm not running urborg because I wanted to start with a conservative manabase at first (BBB -> Nykthos is tough), but I could see a field of ruin + 4 urborg version being better, especially since tron already doesn't feel like a horrible matchup. The pack of 1 drops was due to lack of space for interaction, but now that you mention it chalice should definitely be in the main or side.

>Magic is not a luxury hobby
uh what
yeah, I think buying $50 cards is a luxury hobby
if want to spend $20 or whatever, just draft

Literally everything is expensive because of supply and demand, idk if you're trolling or what.

You keep going back to cardboard like that means something. Diamonds are chemically the same as graphite. Gold is shiny metal without any real practical use. Crack cocaine costs suppliers literally pennies to produce. No one would call those things worthless. They're worth what people pay for them. Also, you aren't paying for cardboard when you buy magic cards. You're paying people for the time they invested in making a fun game and the ability to play that game. Just like when you pay for a WoW subscription or something similar.

Gold is a useful metal in electronics because it doesn't corrode and conducts electricity very well, kill yourself, cardboard addict.

Yeah its usefulness in electronics is why people fought wars over it 1000's of years ago.

Attached: dims.jpg (1000x655, 74K)

> You're paying people for the time they invested in making a fun game
only when you buy sealed product
no one at wizards is getting any money when I buy a bob from tcgplayer

It's 100 times more useful now if you look at it that way, it just makes you look retarded.

Boomers are the only reason why the model is succeding. Magic's target audience are above all male teens and college students, it can't afford to be a luxury hobby in theory, Boomers are the ones saving the joint as of now, it's not a sustainable model.
I think you might be stupid.
A Casio doesn't get its price from supply and demand, a Philippe Dufour does. Magic (non reserved list) is a Casio, not a Philippe Dufour.

>Boomers
What the fuck are you talking about? You have a bunch of fucking retirees at FNM?

>jund is worth the same as an omega speedmaster.

Yea bro its a luxury hobby.

Is approach too slow for w\u control? I was thinking of trying out 2. No jtms though not sure if that makes a difference.

>Boomers are he ones supporting magic

lol. You do know that wizards mostly makes it money from children buying packs at wal-mart right?