Why are dwarf mages and wizards so uncommon?

Why are dwarf mages and wizards so uncommon?

Attached: dwarf_mage_by_mbrill-d3l2j3b.jpg (864x652, 382K)

Dwarves weave magic through their crafts, not through spells.

Writers attempt to typecast various races into generic roles without diverging too dramatically from established Western Fantasy conventions: Elves being considered accomplished mages, Dwarves matching their limited arcane knowledge with industrial craft, and humans a smattering of both.

I'd prefer to see more dwarven mages.

Attached: dungeons_2_20141216_1253944905.jpg (916x1200, 158K)

Me too. Don't people get tired of seeing dwarves invariably with axes, elves invariably with bows, etc.?

Well, you can always try to implement the rune crafters ad dwarf mages. Or that they are gifted in a ways of stone and earth, thruough which if they craft an item, they can channel arcane energies.

Burning Wheel Dwarves work like this. Most Dwarven 'magic' takes the form of making items and tools so good at their job that the person using them becomes better at it. They also have an option for Rune Casting allowing them to set the future in specific ways by reading or altering fate.

>tfw no one ever wants to play an all dorf game

Attached: Dwarf Mage character.png (724x1024, 888K)

Chaos dwarves are the best dwarves because they practice magic even though it's against their very nature and turns them to stone over time but they think that's fucking rad.

Play your dwarf mages like chaos dwarves who don't give a fuck.

Attached: 400px-ChaosDwarf.jpg (400x464, 71K)

also because everyone's Greed would get really high really fast

Dwarf mages and wizards stay in their mountains using their magic to craft and manage their massive industrial and mining complexes. In times of war and conflict, this is put toward creating and running large-scale artillery and siege systems. Like most dwarves, they don't typically become adventurers.

Because Tolkien didn't do it. In Tolkien's legendarium, dwarves are resistant to fire and the evils of Morgoth. The Rings of Power failed to corrupt them in a way Sauron had intended. Rather, their greed was amplified.

It's easily gathered from this that dwarves being resistant to magic is just natural. Some settings play with this more than others and some settings don't restrict dwarves from being spellcasters at all.

Because Tolkien didn't have any.

I love GW chaos dwarfs but I don't understand how dwarfs worshipping a lesser god of Khorne ended up creating a society with a magic based hierarchy. Wouldn't a lesser god of Tzeentch make more sense?

Because Tolkien described dwarves as strictly non-magical.

No, seriously, that's it. Dwarves did all kinds of actual magic in the real myths.

For example, there's a Scottish myth of a man who meets a malevolent dwarf at night and learns at the dawn that the dwarf had been using a combination of illusions and levitation to try and lure him into walking over a cliff-face and falling to his death.

Then there's the story of a Dwarf king in... the Swiss Alps, I believe, who not only scried out a human princess from far away, but went to see her by turning himself into a thistledown and flying on the wind until he reached her, then whisked her away with similar magic.

Well if it makes you feel better my settings' dwarves use axes and hammers as sidearms when things go to hell (which is why they appear in heroic tales and heraldry often), but they're most effective as phalanxes of spearmen and halberdiers.

Wait what? You mean that Hashut is a minor aspect of Khorne?
I always thought he was just a minor chaos god, like Horned Rat was...now that I think about it, what happened to Hashut during the End Times?

I kind of like it like this though.If you stray too far from the typical portrayal then it kind of becomes something else.

All dwarves have a long beard. How are you supposed to distinguish between wizard and regular dwarves?

that's some great art, saved.

Grimgor crushed their entire civilization and Gork and Mork beat Hashut until dead

My dwarves are essentially chechens who are expert musketeers and guerilla fighters, able to cast powerful divine magic spells by doing that awesome circle dance chechens do.

>Let every race be every class
>surely that will not result in a bland paste of boringness where you might as well have a human only setting because how everything is just a different flavor of human

When is the last time you read a novel and said "holy shit the dwarf mages of [assfuck] are so much more interesting and different than the human mages of [dickride]"?
Oh wait I forgot you niggers don't even read. It's all about your snowflake bullshit. There's not even racial spell lists...

>Because Tolkien described dwarves as strictly non-magical.

No he didn't. Their magic is subtle but that goes for most things in the setting. They are more magical than ordinary humans.

Because why would anyone try being a mage with no racial INT boost

He's still hanging around forge world still being overpriced but slightly more official now

...No? Why would you? That's like complaining that you're tired of cowboys having revolvers.

The pointy hat and robes, obviously.

I made a Dwarf wizard once; magic was seen as an "elven" thing (arcane magic specifically, divine magic including druids were ok), meaning my character was strictly an outcast at best, a third column at worst. Foolishly decided to present a (in the grand scheme of things, rather low level) arcane magic presentation to the royal court in the hopes of showing off just how much the dwarves could benefit from it. Got himself banished, and spent the campaign trying to better his understanding of magic specifically so he could go back and help the dwarves. Played him as a dwarven nationalist, but also a wizard, which was a pretty interesting contradiction to RP.

>tired of cowboys having revolvers
It's BORING.

Attached: Nebraska_Cowboys_1901.png (1920x1080, 1.49M)

Why not a lever-action rifle or something?

Who's arguing for that? I'm just asking what is it about dwarves that prevents them from being casters? The only explanation that seems to make sense is that Tolkien didn't do it and everyone else has mostly followed suit.

I hope enough time has passed since this post that it's author can no longer delete it but reads it again and cringes at how much of a unwanted sperg faggot he is.

Attached: dwarfgunslinger.jpg (1024x689, 336K)

Not nearly as much as you will remember how much of a cringy faggot you are for making an assortment of snowflake kobold paladin characters and thinking you are being unique and intelligent.

Gentlemen, you're both social outcasts with no prospect of upward mobility. You're both stuck here in the mud with the rest of us. Now play nice.

Attached: 99b.png (127x367, 130K)

This, same with half orc wizards

>halberdiers.

THAT'S STILL AXES! THEY'RE JUST BIG FANCY AXES!

Because most systems either don't allow them to be anything close to viable or have other races that are more optimum for the short mage/wizard archetype.

Consider this: Of the "small" races dwarves tend to be tough/strong ones, gnomes tend to be the smart ones and halflings tend to be the tricky ones.

>...No? Why would you? That's like complaining that you're tired of cowboys having revolvers.

If the only viable weapon is the revolver I would complain. Cowboys need their shotguns, rifles and boot derringers also.

roleplaying, dumb cunt.

No dwarves are wizards, the same way that no jews are builders, no australians are pacifists, no chinese are architects, all french people are fashion designers and all americans are mechanics.

Steriotypes are great if you're a min/max hobag. However in 5E 20 is the maximum stat so while an elf archer might hit that a bit earlier than a dwarf, a dwarf archer is no worse than any non +dex race and will have other benefits (poison resistance, +con /HP bonus etc).

By shaking up the race/class types you can get really interesting characers. While opposites are 'funny' it's more the stuff in between that's interesting.
EG 1/2 orc = barbarian, opposite = wizard. Avoid
1/2 orc rogue or druid or cleric is much more interesting

dwarf = fighter or cleric, opposite = wizard or sorc
inbetween = bard or maybe mechanically minded rogue

Exactly. Thorin and company are literally casting spells at one point. Gimli wasn't magical. That's it, the eccentric son of a dwarf hero is what dwarves are based on in d&d.

Under their magical resistance dwarves are also allergic to it.

Welp, you caught me. In formation they use them as halberds/glaives, then unscrew the top 1/3 of the shaft if the phalanx breaks so they can fight more capably individually.

Egyptians thought short people were magic.

Attached: Seneb's family. Ancient Egypt History.jpg (536x740, 67K)

They weren't wrong.

I'm sorry you play with shitty people user.

Depends on which edition you go off of. 6th pushed the big 4 and all other gods were part of them (Hashut was an aspect of Khorne and Tzeentch, the Horned Rat was Nurgle and Tzzentch, Khaine was part of Khorne, etc.). 7th shifted back to them all being individual gods.

I've got Dwarves with swords and throwing weapons, and mages that use storm magic instead earth. Does that count?

>industrial craft
Not Tolkien. Get ye gone.

Because Dwarfs literally couldn't ever use magic until an actual setting based event occurred in Forgotten Realms, It was in the comics infact.