WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>Thin ya paints, ladz!
youtu.be/wxWgsqSf74s

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

>Previous Threads:

Attached: johnny_collage_WIP_banner14.jpg (2568x1616, 1.32M)

Other urls found in this thread:

media.giphy.com/media/47xqMrjTiFPslA0AOK/giphy.gif
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

plasdikku sisters when? so i have a reason to waste monies

so question, how do you prefer to paint your dudes?
my space bois currently have the gauntlets and boots a different color from the main armor, and I am wondering if I should base color all of the areas first or if I should just ...fully complete one of the color sets before moving to the next.

Not til 2019, user.

Do the things you're more likely to 'go over the lines' with first - in this case you're probably basing & edge highlighting, and edge highlighting is very safe so I'd say base both first then highlight both.

Finished my first mini. Painting process is alot harder than I'm initially thought it would be. And don't quite satisfied with results.

Attached: IMG_20180325_234146.jpg (1326x1768, 497K)

Thank it's done! Anything I should add/change?

Attached: 20180325_161330.jpg (4032x3024, 3.71M)

I've always done all of a color set on 2-3 guys at a time, then the next set until they're done, then move onto a new set of guys. It's probably way slower than doing all bases then all layers then all highlights for a whole group, and if I fuck up and go over shit then I have more work to do fixing it, but I like seeing a few things get closer to being fully done faster over a lot of stuff looking shitty until they all look done at once. Plus it gives better looking stuff to post pictures of.
Reposting my first minis in a decade because I'm real proud of my first ever skin painting.

Attached: chaos 70%.png (1501x564, 1.79M)

Working on this heavy patina themed Liberator.
I tried to prime it on a humid day to get that grimy primer layer but now that I see it on a photo I'm not sure if that was a good idea.

Any C&C on the patina and bronze so far?

Also what colour should I do for the hair at the top and the cloak? Right now I'm considering screamer pink for the hair and xv88 for the cloak.

Attached: bronzecast_WIP1.jpg (1400x1400, 1.03M)

Also going to paint up Lords of Hellas soon, so many nice models in this game.

Attached: 20180325_161623.jpg (3929x2982, 7.63M)

Not bad. The first thing that stands out is that I'd use a black wash to add a defining line between the red & gold on the shoulder pads.

The writing's a little faint on the sign, but otherwise looks good.

So, I have to thank you /wip/!
A few days ago, someone asked what to do with sprues and one of the answer was "crystal". Well I found this was a great idea complementing the ice-theme I was trying to do and I just finished a batch of 5 objectifs marker.
I learned a great deal about blending with medium and will surely add some crystals on the bases of my other mini now.

What do you guys think?

When did yours arrive? Any broken pieces? The KS comment section is currently a shitshow.

I think patina should be more green than blue

That looks pretty fuckin' rad. Color theory might offer some help for picking your tertiary color, since ultimately you're working with a very subdued yellow and blue. So something like violet would be really killer, or maybe green or orange.

Obviously I had to forget the pic...

Attached: IMG_20180325_211155.jpg (2240x3968, 1.1M)

That is fucking sexy as fuck

Whoever made this, first, great work. Second, what are you going for? Is this supposed to be an ardboy/Black orc, or another positional for Blood Bowl? I see that the base has the hole for the ball, but still

Attached: 3068B354-9894-493A-A1AC-17BCF7590A4F.jpg (1000x542, 169K)

>tfw you love Wild Riders but they're just so fucking awful

Very first attempt at painting, be harsh. What are the most noticeable things I need to improve this instant? Other than the obvious practice, practice, practice which I am in the process of. Painting my old Descent figures that were collecting dust anyway.

Attached: DescentBeastmantilde.png (1776x783, 2.44M)

>The writing's a little faint on the sign, but otherwise looks good.
Cool. I actually used chipping medium on the sign, so it's meant to be worn off :)
Early February? I only had a couple problems, namely a soldier missing an arm, a missing bow, and one dude with his head not glued in right so his neck looks super long. Kind of funny actually. Besides that, not bad at all.
Love your style man, still love the stag and those crystals are sweet.

Attached: 20180325_164737.jpg (1272x1415, 873K)

I've been working on my Star Wars Legion models. Decided on Endor for the basing.

Attached: IMG_20180324_225416_876.jpg (1080x1080, 134K)

Attached: IMG_20180325_214939_876.jpg (1080x1080, 129K)

clean mold lines

seriously regret picking yellow, easy enough to do, just very time consuming to get even coverage.

Attached: Knight(1).jpg (467x1075, 144K)

Reposting my first snek for DoK army, thoughts?

Also anyone have links to good forest/jungle/temple ruins basing tutorials?

Attached: 1st snek.jpg (226x301, 10K)

pictureforants.png

Never touched a brush before. Got this done before the codex comes out. It's pretty sloppy, help!

Attached: 20180324_161211.jpg (4032x3024, 3.39M)

What is this, a snek for ants?

Oops, my bad

Attached: IMG_20180326_001233.jpg (3036x4048, 2.69M)

Main body now done, moving onto the arms next. Not sure if green was the best colour for the laurel but with all that red, white, and green he kinda looks christmasy.

Attached: CameraZOOM-20180325184547086.jpg (693x746, 285K)

>not using the baller as fuck masks
Looks pretty decent over all, though you need to work on your basing. The pure flock style only works if you go for an old school goblin green look. How does the kit hold up over all? The Daughters of Khaine release has had me very tempted to get a few AoS models for painting and conversions.

I like the muted green you've got going on for the snake half
paintjobs looking really nice so far, I agree though, think there's a bit too much green going on which asyou said gives it the christmasy vibe.

I prefer the unmasked heads desu. I figure being medusa they should be beautiful and the masks kinda go against that imo.

I do have some ruins & trees on a few of my other sneks bases but I definitely need to do something else as far as the grass is concerned.

I love the kit but I don't think there's much in the way of customisation or anything, arms, torsos, heads all basically have to fit exactly as they intended.. without any modifications obviously. There's not a huge amount of variety between the models just basically different ways the snake tail coils/twists.

Attached: IMG_20180326_001221.jpg (3036x4048, 3.15M)

I'm sure this is the most basic shit, but when painting in sub-assemblies, how do you hold them?
Also for priming the little bastards

either blu tack or pin it

Mount them on something, drill a hole and stick a paperclip or similar implement into it
I use cocktail sticks since the point means they can be held in snug without gluing

Depends on the shape of it. Sometimes you cna just hold it. But for fiddly shit, get a piece of old sprue or something and simply glue it to that with a tiny amount of superglue where it will eventually be glued to the model itself. When it's done you simply break it off (CA is brittle stuff), carve away any remaining glue, and you're good to go. Or you stick the part to something with bluetac or similar.

I finally got this beauty after two months of waiting. I love it. First time using green stuff too to fill the gaps.

Attached: 20180325_170539.jpg (4032x3024, 2.6M)

nice, keep us posted.

Attached: Deffkopta.jpg (1944x2592, 1.04M)

>I figure being medusa they should be beautiful and the masks kinda go against that imo.
Which is funny because Medusa and the Gorgons where known for their ugliness in classical times.

>I love the kit but I don't think there's much in the way of customisation or anything, arms, torsos, heads all basically have to fit exactly as they intended..
I really don't like this trend. It's become a very common thing in modern GW kits and made me somewhat assblasted when I noticed that's how the Necromunda Goliath kit worked.

No offense to your paintjob but this model just makes me annoyed they're still selling this metal sculpt when the assault on black reach deffkopta exists

I just finished my first orks, heres the big fella

Attached: Warboss.jpg (922x978, 279K)

A kopta

Attached: Deffkopta.jpg (2317x782, 398K)

And I made this guy as a painting guide for my brother

Nice paintjob, I would suggest some highlights on the red parts tho

Attached: Vanguard Alpha.jpg (1740x582, 402K)

Very nice. Like the desert raider look.

yeah, it would be nice to have an update

Thanks, don't mind the christmas look so much. At least I will have something "themeful" for a christmas tourny.

Apart from the rotors I think it has a lot of charm.

And so it begins.

Attached: 20180325_162710.jpg (3440x2814, 4.19M)

This is my Khinerai I am going to use as a Scourge Solarite for Drukhari.

Attached: IMG_20180326_001853_465.jpg (2915x2915, 1.42M)

Working on this fella tonight

Attached: stompyboi1.jpg (1412x1160, 346K)

Is there a company that makes little flame effects for bases and minis?

So I'm looking at selling the necron portion of the ForgeBane box set and was wondering how much I should charge for the necrons on sprue if I were to sell them individually and if I were to sell them as a group.
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this in, but it seemed to be more miniature-related than 40kgeneral.

Attached: image.png (800x800, 373K)

I'd check the going prices on ebay, probably no more than £50

I feel like an idiot. How do I not use too much primer?

Attached: 20180325_194655.jpg (5312x2988, 1.53M)

How do I paint with only washes?
I get tide marks and generally shitty-looking models on my tests.

Am I overloading the brush?
Is it lack of patience leading to the newest layer lifting igment out of the previous one?

Short, steady passes from a moderate distance.

Yup, a little bit further away, and move the can from one side of the model to another fairly quickly - as if you were spraying a straight line about 15cm long that your model happens to be in the middle of.
You should never be spraying for more than two or three seconds continuously.

thin paints a bit so you can do multiple coats to even it out. and dont forget to go over the spots you got a lil messy with like the coils

not him, but if you changed the color of the wreath at the top of the head to gold, it would look less Christmassy. I personally like it a lot. my first set of boys were red with white trim and I got a lot of friendly jabs about the xmas marines from the planet No-El

Finally comitted and painted the banner for my ancient. First time doing freehand in a while (the salamander head and the skull are transfers).

Attached: salamandersancient.jpg (1000x1333, 945K)

he looks great.

Anyone know a good place to get neodymium magnets?

dirt cheap on ebay

They look great especially the speeder, but I'm digging that Gp01 in the back.

Wait
8th edition marines are actually bigger than my 3rd edition ones?
I was wondering why the fuck they always looked so big in videos and just thought everyone else had tiny goddamn hands and tables and shit
are you fucking with me what am i even doing

What color should dorf skin be?

Attached: 20180325_213829.jpg (5312x2988, 2.38M)

Invest in an airbrush.

There are cheap airbrushes for like 20 bucks that are good enough for priming and basecoating. don't know the rates for cheap compressors but you could also use pressurized airtanks.

Bugmens glow>Reikland Fleshshade>Cadian Fleshtone>Kislev Flesh.

purple
fuck the police

I attached an eviserator, a fancy skull, a brazier and an incense thingie. What else could I add to make it look edgy but Imperial?

Attached: 100_1533.jpg (1280x960, 219K)

My current project.

Attached: 29681021_1863530593666852_1715416989_o.jpg (1536x2048, 273K)

banner maybe?

I'm not interested in freehanding anything, or transfers. I'm also going for "decorated killing machine" rather than "decorated standard bearer"

It's missing purity seals. A couple of those strategically placed should clinch the Imperial look. (I've done some 2D art and I LOVE my purity seals, you only need one or two and the image just pops. Should help a lot in 3D too.)

Does knight stuff get purity seals?

yes

Still need to buy flesh tones, but I think that so far my first mini ever isn't complete garbage.

Attached: 20180325_221059.jpg (5312x2988, 2.81M)

>tfw can't make it through my backlog fast enough
>gunna buy more Kingdom Death stuff as soon as I can anyways
Post your backlogs

Attached: imageedit_57_9839205905.jpg (1087x571, 332K)

9 Plague Marines, a Foetid Bloat Drone, a Rhino, a Foul Blightspawn, 8 Poxwalkers, 25 cultists, and a Helbrute.
Also a bunch of Malifaux.

You might want to check out this tutorial, you can get some decent results with green stuff.

Attached: Green Stuff Flames.pdf (PDF, 495K)

Working on the backlog currently. Made a vow to not buy or play the game until they are all done. 2 Commanders, 20 something drones, Dark Strider, Shadowsun, Fireblade, Ethereal, 6 stealth suits, and a squad of breachers and pathfinders.
Really the only thing i have done are 6 Crisis Suits, 2 Devil Fish, 2 squads of fire warriors,1 squad of breachers, and 1 squad of pathfinders. I plan to pick up another Commander, a Ghostkeel, and 3 Broadsides, but alas, gotta paint before that. It's not like these models will ever go on sale.

so I want to do a roman empire themed IG army.

I was thinking of spatha/gladius as bayonets instead. not sure how heavily I want to convert the helmets on the regular infantry squads however.

definitely want bullgryn with scutum shields however. do you guys have any input/thoughts on how to make this theme work or expand upon it?

maybe some penal legion as gladiators or something

Attached: c3d368fa9f020ad4d78ca2f86c95b1c5.jpg (530x599, 35K)

So I am going to start working on painting my first figures, and I know thin your paints.

However my dilima I found is that I looked through a bunch of colors, picked out some, and now I have no idea how to get the specific colors I picked out at all. Is there a way to find model paint via hex code at all?

#3F5347
#2F3851

Two of the colors i am looking for

you could try to use victrix romans or if you are just going to convert reg imperial guard try to make helm like republican helms so it's easier

Attached: AIpSoAj.jpg (3351x1961, 851K)

>painting dark blue over white basecoat

>fully assembled model

You fool. Blue goes well over black, and if you can spare the cash, GW makes bluish grey spray and I'd expect Army painter do them too.

I was thinking more Gladiator than actual 1:1 historical. I could then ally in some death korps death riders to the army and have general maximus do his thing with a bunch of riders coming in from a board edge.

Attached: 0204.jpg (2963x1966, 1.35M)

Fun fact, the guy who made that tutorial actually goes to my FLGS. I've seen the army itself. It looks baller as fuck

That's a good question. My guess is that there is going to be a bit of a flood of Forgebane Necron stuff in the coming months since everyone and their mother wants the new knights (for some reason). You might make more selling them separately, but on the other hand multiple auctions mean multiple shipping, and if you make the shipping cheap enough to entice a buyer it'll eat into your profits pretty quick.

The banner is great, but what really caught my eye is the fantastic paintjob on the helmet. That golden maks/flame look is simply inspired.

>post your backlog
I started typing out my backlog and ran out of characters.

Fuck.

Kabal of the flayed skull WIP, going to have green power weapons.

Attached: IMG-20180310-WA0001.jpg (4032x2268, 1.3M)

This also it is something that is forgotten
media.giphy.com/media/47xqMrjTiFPslA0AOK/giphy.gif - more information on gif image

Has anyone ever painted human flesh tones by priming white/light gray and then washing it with orange/brown/tan? Does it work? I did that for some of the more whacky colors for my death guard zombies, but I was wondering if I could get a healthy human look going

My levitating necromancer, a spare part from the Coven Throne box.

Im to build a base with skeleton parts at the bottom rising out of the base so the flying stand isnt as obvious.

Attached: image.jpg (917x1696, 284K)

>tfw after the 12th or 13th layer your yellow is finally starting to turn opaque

I originally had more lighter tones in mind, and stealth suits were going to be more dark tones, but when i was experimenting with color schemes on a fire warrior I liked the look that came out.

I remember being in a rush to actually play the game at the time since i got into it when the Konor event started. I'm going to go back and saw/break off limbs to retrofit magnets into them. Still learning.

Attached: 20280631_1643680842332091_1717823175871468086_o.jpg (1440x810, 167K)

yuck those helms