MTG Modern Magic General

Playing dirty edition
Previously on Modern General: GP Tokyo 2018 Top Decks: magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpkyo18/gpkyo18-finals-decklists-2018-03-25

Dominaria release notes: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/dominaria-leak-2018-03-08

>Playing
>Hating
>Brewing

>Thread question
From fast mana to cheating creatures into play to sculpting your opponents topdecks, there are lots of angles many decks in Modern attempt to shoot that are considered unfair. What do you think of unfair decks in Modern? How does your deck handle them?

RESOURCES:
>metagame
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>Search Engines
scryfall.com/
magiccards.info/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
>Budget Decks
pastebin.com/Q9D59Wry (embed)

Attached: urzas tower 8th edition.jpg (750x614, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-03-18-shapeshifter
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_Grand_Prix_events
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

$100 Tarns soon fellow fags

>fellow

Fuck outta here disgusting Storm/Jeskai/Grixis/Burn/Hollow One player

How good is this card?

Attached: Image.jpg (223x310, 36K)

You could still do it, there'll probably be a lot of wizards variants, two most popular would be UR and WUR, and RUG could be a possibility.

Used in GW value and that's it really.

good in most COCO decks

Value Town only

i repost my answer
>Everything besides Commander and Modern is on the decline

it's on the decline because it's not supported by wizco on the competitive scene, competitives players follow where the pros and the tourney go. If they decided to continue to support and stream legacy it would have been huge you can bet on it. And the worst part is that even if they killed legacy the price of staples still continued to moon like if there wasn't any difference in the player base. Actually the buylist for all duals from big stores rised up a lot very recently, it can't be investors and cEDH alone, there is something fishy in preparation.... i can smell it guyz

Commander isn't supported competitively, never has, and never will be.
Hopefully Wizards will start realizing that people also enjoy fun formats you can make jank in.

>Brawl

Rate my casual 4 player deck

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-03-18-shapeshifter

1v1 on MODO and cEDHfags would disagree.

i was answering about the decline of competitive formats and specifically modern and legacy. most of EDH fun players don't use duals.

Just because something has a league doesn't mean it's supported competitively.
Pauper is closer to being a competitively supported format than Commander.

Really fucking stupid idea.

>most of EDH scrub players don't use duals.

FTFY

shittiest brew i ever saw

I wouldn’t consider ~50 people in a 1v1 commander league on MTGO being “supported competitively”

>4 player
just play EDH, fag

Better yet, try Brawl.
Easy format. Why memorize and familiarize with over TWENTY years of insane, and more often than not, unattainable cards when with BRAWL you only use standard cards?

DO IT, user. DO IT.
Play Brawl. A format actually SUPPORTED BY WOTC and not like some heretic format that gives absolutely no financial support to your LGS or even worse, to the creators of this fine game.

Attached: 1521654133856.jpg (500x500, 31K)

>0.1 mox opal have been added to your account

Brawl seems like such a short-sighted idea unless they plan to print around 10 legendaries per set from now on.

Nice try at Maroposting but realize that Commander precons are one of if not the best selling sealed mtg products

>Commander set every year (this time with increased MSRP)
>Commander Anthology 2 coming out in June
Commander is making some money for WotC.

It kinda is supported. Team trios is slowly becoming the most popular GP format, and legacy gp's regularly top the player counts for attendance.

Id say we will probably get a Pro Tour team trio at some point, which will cause duals to explode.

Even if team trios does not become a pro tour format, the fact that team trios exist means that there are now 2x the amount of GP's modern and legacy cards will be played in, which contributes to how much they cost.

The amount of revised duals out there is massive. About 300k of each revised dual exists in the wild. That means the current price of duals is all from demand.

I could maybe see it working if they have at least 1 legendary-themed set in rotation at any given time. I'll be real, as a primarily EDH player who just plays Modern once a week to get my competitive fix, I am actually kind of excited for this prospect.

Attached: 1490770888611.jpg (720x1118, 81K)

Dominaria seems pretty legendary themed to me...

That was my point, my man. With Dominaria they will have a legendary themed set in Standard, so if they want Brawl to have any longevity Wizards very well might have the set that Dominaria rotates out with be another legendary themed set.

What is the most unfun, but high performing deck to play?

Probably Lantern control, but I don’t actually play it so I’m technically not in the right to say so.

Considering that you can use planeswalkers, we've already been hitting those numbers for a while now. And really, how many decks are prominent in Standard at a given time? Having options is all good and fun, but surely you know that only four or five are going to be heavily used as commanders anyway.

Is it safe to assume that the next masters set is just going to have a dildo in it so you can fuck yourself more appropriately?

It is, according to Rudy.

is it okay if I want to suck his dick?

Ok lads so I have 3 flex spots at my eldrazi and taxes list. I'm currently running 2x reality smasher and 1x gonti, but I've heard people advising against running smashers main board in this deck. Anyone have some experience to share? Also how safe is running 3 thalias instead of 4?

What's the deal with Searing Blaze in Burn? I've played with it for a while, and rarely, if at all, the stars align and the card is actually good. Two things happen far too often:
I have it without my opponent having a creature. Really great when I need the 3 damage to finish them off but can't cast it.
I have it with my opponent having a creature, but I can't drop a land. Equally useless.

Also, in what matchups do I sideboard in Smash to Smithereens excluding Tron and Affinity? It doesn't feel too great to sideboard in Smash just as an answer to my opponents' sideboard artifacts.

I really feel like I should play 4 mainboard Molten Rains instead of only 2 main and 2 side. Almost all decks I've encountered played nonbasics worth blowing up.

Am I just missing things obvious to others?

It's perfectly fine for you to want to do it, yes.

Either Searing Blaze is maindeck or its replaced by Skullcrack. The other will sit in the sideboard, they're taking up 7 slots in your 75 most of the time; 100% of the time if you're monored. You can further put Volcanic Fallout or Searing Blood for another 3-4 slots in your sideboard.

3 Skullcrack/Searing Blaze
3 Searing Blood/Burn that Exiles/Volcanic Fallout/Grim Lavamancer/Kor Firewalker
4 Grudge/Smithereens/Revelry
2 Deflecting Palm
4 Path to Exile

It's entirely up to you whether or not you even want to run Searing Blaze or Searing Blood. It's never wrong but its effectiveness is dependent on your store.

Modern is not the format where you can board perfectly, it has that in common with Legacy. If you want full coverage deckbuilding the only place for that is Vintage and maybe Pauper.

Having a commander that will just rotate out eventually sounds lame. Half the appeal to EDH is once you've got a good commander you can tweak the deck with new cards as they come out.

Even just allowing any legendary creature from the Modern pool to be a commander would vastly improve the format.

As a mainly EDH player this is the big thing about Brawl that I find dumb. I'd totally be down to at least try it out if it was current Standard + anything printed into Standard going forward, but the fact that it's a rotating format kills it for me. Rotating formats are retarded.

Am I retarded or does burn beat up elves at every given opportunity?

does wizards really think killing modern will get people to start playing standard?

Your elves never get pass 3 thoughness in the first couple turns. You may get them first game, but you can bet they'll keep their 12+ bolt effect for your Ezuri and Archdruid afterward. Even your first dork if they have plenty in hand.

>Thread question
I learned to forgive Tron for his sin over time, but I give the most sincere fuck you to anyone playing Storm, Ad nauseam or Lantern control. You deserve every Thoughtseize/Inquisition of kozilek cast against you.

>Game 2 they have leyline/Witchbane orb
>I don't draw into Disenchant Or I do but they have fucking welding jar and I don't draw Stony silence
>Mulligan
>Mulligan again
>Still no disenchant/stony silence
>MFW

Attached: 1396893740529.jpg (600x600, 159K)

>It's a casual format
>But you really need that 300$ dual

Attached: 1458941613867.png (231x239, 128K)

Generally the opposite for me but it all comes down to Eidolon of the Great Revel being in play in this matchup. I play Elves and I beat up Burn regularly. I just throw down as many Elves as possible but if Eidolon is in play I'm looking to cast that CoCo asap on endstep and then attempt to swing back. If Eidolon is not in play I can just keep throwing down Elves and build up a critical mass and then Chord/CoCo and hit a Shaman of the Pack for a big chunk. Eidolon is also one of the reasons I still play a maindeck Rec Sage in Elves.

Another thing that makes Burn a reasonably decent matchup for Elves is that Elves generally for the most part don't take any damage off most of their lands unless they're playing Abzan Elves for the most part.

Lantern is a fair deck

>Draw a sub-optimal, but okay hand. Definitely playable.
>Aaaaaand I'm against lantern control
>Thoughtseize-Inquisition-Thoughtseize
>ensnaring bridge
>Oops! lock is online
>Proceed to only draw lands for the next 17 turns then die to mill
>"Geez that was a harsh game... but he had a lot of artifact maybe a couple disenchant could do the trick"
>Literal first card of game 2 is welding jar
>They get the lock too
>"This deck is strong, better change my sideboard for next time, couple of stony silence seems right"
>Couple weeks later
>Play against lantern control again
>Mulligan once to an acceptable hand with lots of disruption
>He literally has an empty hand by turn 2 and I barely manage to avoid the lock thanks to my discard
>"Finally. now with the sideboard this should be a cakewalk"
>Game 2 have a good starting hand with stony silence and a disenchant
>I drop stony silence
>He natural claim it, then drops a welding jar
>Ohboy...
>LockIsOnline.gif
>Scoop to game 3 so he doesn't time me out
>Game 3 mulligan twice, get fucking nothing.
>He inquizition of kozilek, see I have only one land in hand and one on the battlefield.
>And I draw no lands for the rest of the game

I hate this deck so fucking much. I've been cucked and memed on by a lot of decks, but there are few feelings worse than a lantern lock for me. Everyone say Stony silence is for affinity, but it's definitely because of lantern control that I'm siding it.

Attached: 1400265943623.png (600x600, 24K)

Are you ready for 8 bolts?

Attached: wizardslightning1.jpg (265x370, 45K)

give me dampening sphere already wizards. My jank needs to be safe from tron.

A friend is selling me one verdant catacomb and a couple maelstrom pulses for cheap

Should I buy them? I want to build gb valuefrog but I dont know if I want to spend into real fetches or just go chinaman, since I dont really trust wotc's reprint policy

Attached: 1521974292532.jpg (899x1280, 368K)

>Baral + lightning strike
>12bolts

Kataki, Wars Wage fucks over Lantern more than Stony Silence does. Still, WHY NOT BOTH?

>Stuff like misty and tarn are already more expensive than some of the abur dual lands
Rofl

They seem to have 2 directions for knights in Dominaria; standard big buff Knights and equipments. Still not enough to make Knights a thing, but this does look cute in Bogles if it werent for the fact that spiritdancer does her job better, isnt a legendary and costs 2

Attached: 29541916_10213604707865377_8547040037212720302_n.jpg (960x443, 30K)

Knights aren't going to be a thing because the Dom Knights are all Humans, so any really good Knights are going to get jammed into Humans.

What? Which duals are this cheap?

Scrubland I believe is pretty cheap.

What deck is nonlinear yet good?

Kiki cord?

Cheapest is a Revised Taiga which are at $84 right now. Tarns are averaging $75 and Mistys are averaging $42.

Revised Scrublands are $105.

Attached: 12ec5740-fa96-4eaa-b4c8-04cf8da874ae.gif (480x265, 1.9M)

>play old school g/r tron
>tfw lantern player can't stop me because of my premium tron draws
>tfw they can't mill me because I run all three eldrazi titans

Huh, I paid like $60 for my Scrubland. Though it is like MP condition

>MP
yeah, that'll do it
TCGplayer prices for Tarns are like $65 for NM

Yeah i'm extremely apprehensive about buying NM/M duals. I pretty much always expect them to be in SP or MP condition, otherwise I have to sit there with a loupe and check to see if it's fake every time.

The people who are trying to pass chinaman fakes will always rough them up a bit.

>MP
That'll do it. In fairness, every dual has been going up particularly quickly in the past year.

The thing is by roughing them up it tends to show the flaws in the printing process of it being a fake in closer examination.

Chinaman has been getting better and better, it's only a matter of time

Even though it's MP it's still in fairly solid condition. It's like this weird border between SP and MP i'd say.

Depends if they give their buffs to other knights then they'd be useless to humans much like how Knight Exemplar is really just for Knights, and unless humans learn how to pick up equipments or auras then Gerrard's daughter and the like wont be useful to humans either

That's why I have to carry a loupe all the time when I buy or trade for them. Can't be too careful, besides all of this is WotC's fault. There's a hefty demand for the cards and that's only going to lead to more counterfeit's, if you don't create the supply then someone else will.

The irony is that it'd probably be easier for chinaman to fake newer cards because the recent quality has been so fucking shit.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_Grand_Prix_events

why do people bother with standard gp's lmao

Linear as fuck.

>just bought a playset of Mesas, Foothills, and Mires
hope you guys are getting on board before these climb any higher

Can you cast Dark Depths when you already have Marit Lage in play? They're not the same card, right?

they have a different name

Already got all of em. Im now focusing on enemy fastlands before they rotate out.

Gifts ungiven reanimator? (if that even is a thing)

Dark depths is a land. It does not require casting. Marit lage is a token. You can play dark depths while marit lage is in play.

I have Catacombs, Tarns (only 3), Mires and Deltas.Then I have 1 Flats and one Rainforest.

>before
you're supposed to wait until right after

Sadly it's also fairly linear, as unburial rites solved every possible gifts pile.

>before they rotate out.
But why? Botanical Sanctum and Spirebluff Canal will definitely be cheaper once they rotate, and Inspirint Vantage will be in a Challenger.

Okay, you don't cast it but I was aking for the Legendary thing.

The Legendary rules only applies to permanents with the same name.

Chinamen fakes can never simulate the feel of the old card. I have seen the "lastest new gen" fakes and the feel is still off. Modern cards however can easily go as a real card.

I call bullshit on that because they run pic related

Attached: Pyxis+of+Pandemonium+%5BTHS%5D.jpg (223x310, 30K)

So I've been playing modern for about a year using titanshift and I finally just finished my jund elves deck because I fall for memes and always loved elves

This is my first time running black in modern and My question is when do I use my thoughtseizes in my sideboard? Like I have no clue who to side them in against and who to leave them out against, also my turn 1-2 are always going to have plays that don't usually leave mana free so it's a choice of missing out on my big plays to steal a card

So when do I board it in? Does that answer change If I'm on the play/draw? And what should I try and hit? I'm guessing removal since I'm playing a creature based aggro/combo deck.

Attached: IMG_0485.png (223x311, 135K)

board it in Vs combo
there baral or electromancer wont be doing them much in their graveyard

how is this for a cheap coco elf deck

Attached: my coco.png (712x649, 42K)

>split a box of A25 with a friend for $150 total
>pull 2 filter lands, animar, 2 pacts, phyrexian oblitorator, coalition relic, 2 street wraiths, a playset of brainstorms, and a foil nettle sentinel, and a foil bolt
>trade the friend, who also pulled well including a foil proshy boi, for a bunch of bulk rares I needed for edh and the playset of spirit guides he pulled for my through the breach deck that'll never be made
>made my money back and pulled a bunch of cards I actually wanted so I didn't even need to trade for them
I got out like a fucking bandit with this set, I should go get another shitty set and see how I do.

Attached: IMG_0332.jpg (640x628, 58K)

Most invocations suck ass, but this one is so fucking sweet

Attached: thoughtseize.jpg (672x936, 222K)

Always buy land on the cheap.

I played a similar deck and found chord is only really good if you want to go heavy into the combo/toolbox build with a bunch of one ofs, if you just wanna drop of bunch of elves turn 3-4 and flatten your opponent lead the stampede, CoCo, and blood braid elf if you wanna go that route, will let you dig more than enough to find what you need

The arts in the invocations were never the MAIN reason why the invocations sucked.

It's all the faffing about with the pillars, and the barely noticeable card color, all the real estate the obnoxious digitally designed frame takes AWAY from the cards's art.

It feels like I'm looking at the card art through a tiny window.

How do we fix White?

Attached: The fields shall be wet with the blood of the English.png (800x800, 193K)

Create more tax related cards. Playing againist a white deck should be a uphill battle for value while the white deck hits you with value cards with vigilance and flying.

Or lock mechanics, but Artifacts have that niche in modern right now.

It's disappointing because even with the shitty design they sell really high because autists go crazy over alt art because it makes them feel like their deck is special, imagine how much this shit would be going for if it was all like full art or something like that?

>It feels like I'm looking at the card art through a tiny window.
That's why I love Invocations.